April Progress

Options

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    So I'm back up to over body weight (165) on Deads after doing a deload due to rounding back. But I was at 185 with the round back. I also deloaded my squats to switch to lowbar and am getting back up to that weight as well. I'm doing 115lbs, I stopped at 125 on high bar and it was getting really ****ing hard. 115 feels nice with the low bar.

I think one of the best things about deloading a bit is the fact that it feels so COMFORTABLE at that lower weight whereas on the way up you might have struggled with that weight a bit.

I had a bad night, I think I was a bit dehydrated or ....who knows. It did not go well at all.

145 lb squat - 5-5-3-2-1 and my form on the first two sets was less than stellar, not awful but I would lean forward a bit towards the bottom which usually is a sign that you're struggling with the weight (at least, for me). My partner is getting better at identifying these things for me though.

Also I got a bit sunburned yesterday and let me tell you ladies, as summer approaches, you will get tempted not to reapply your sunblock regularly. DO NOT GET SUNBURNED. A LOADED BARBELL DOES NOT FEEL GOOD ON SUNBURNED SHOULDERS. IT DOES NOT FEEL GOOD AT ALL.

Overhead press was only 60 lbs (I deloaded after a stall) so that was fine but then I went for the 155 deadlift and it just wouldn't come off the ground (Does anyone else have this on deadlift fails? Its not like my grip is failing or I am struggling with it - I just have two modes, either the bar is coming up or its not going anywhere - there's no in between.)

I pulled it last time 2x (3x?) so I thought I'd at least get that much today, but nope. I deloaded to 145 to do the set. Hopefully Thursday - otherwise I wouldn't mind a full deload back down to 140 to try and work my way up again. I might even do 5 lb incremements instead of 10 lbs.

My husband did 165 so now the only thing he hasn't surpassed me on is squats (those will be a while for him, he's got really tight hips and hamstrings). He's a natural deadlifter though. Monkey arms.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I deadlifted my bodyweight, 135 lbs. I felt like a real badass, and my adrenalin was high. Because I'm a sucker for punishment I did 5 sets. My grip is definitely starting to fail, so I think I'm going to start going up by 5 lbs instead of 10 on the deadlifts.

I finally nailed all 5 sets of overhead presses with 55 lbs. I also re-did 100 lbs on the squats and it felt less tenuous than the last time. After all the comments on this forum about squatting ATG I paid closer attention to my hip engagement, and opted to squat below parallel but not ATG. Seemed ok, but I'll need some time to adjust.

My left hip is really starting to bother me full time. It used to be only with squats, now I feel it pretty much all the time. I think I've got a bit of tendonitis in there somewhere. I've been icing it and using the foam roller, but other than having to stop for a couple weeks and lose ground, I'm not sure there's anything more I can do for it.

We're about the same and yesterday my deadlift (125) felt great! Usually I'm strongest on my overhead lift, but failed on the third set and felt really weak. Today my back is REALLY stiff and my left knee hurts. I feel sooo tired too. I too am running (training for a mud race) so I'm having a hard time determining if it's a result of the running or the SL, but I think it's the SL. I'm thinking about maintaining or dropping weight until my race is over (May 12th), but we shall see! Definitely feeling it today though! Ugh. Great progress you're making!

Anyone else have an ache in their knee after SL in the front of the knee? Possible causes?
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Had a bad day yesterday. I couldn't do 50lbs on my OHP so I went back down to 45, kinda disappointed since I was able to do a couple sets of 50 last week.

I also hurt my lower back while dead lifting.... I guess my form really sucked on my first set because I felt the pain right away. Of course, I'm stubborn as hell so I finished the set anyways. Probably a bad idea, my lower back hurts so bad today. I might need to take a break from the DL's until it's completely healed.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Had a bad day yesterday. I couldn't do 50lbs on my OHP so I went back down to 45, kinda disappointed since I was able to do a couple sets of 50 last week.

I also hurt my lower back while dead lifting.... I guess my form really sucked on my first set because I felt the pain right away. Of course, I'm stubborn as hell so I finished the set anyways. Probably a bad idea, my lower back hurts so bad today. I might need to take a break from the DL's until it's completely healed.

Make certain on deads to keep your abs taut, inward, regardless of weather you are wearing a belt.

Last night's progress
    Squats= 115 much more stable, next week is 120, the weight I fell at. Kinda nervous about it, but now I have a catchweight system, so I'm less nervous about hurting myself and only really concerned about failure.

Anybody else start having pectoral burning sensation on the heavier ones. I can actually feel it running along the fingers of the muscle radiating from the sternum toward the insertion point at the shoulder.

Dumbell presses = 25 really really hard so I think I'm going to move to OHP on Friday at 45lbs.
    Deads= 135 just a little of the pec weirdness there.

Wed goals: Squat 120
    bench 95
    rows 90
  • Doreen_Murray
    Options
    Anybody else start having pectoral burning sensation on the heavier ones. I can actually feel it running along the fingers of the muscle radiating from the sternum toward the insertion point at the shoulder.

[/quote]

Burning no, but definitely a very specific kind of soreness right where you're describing. Weird feeling, but goes away. My boobage is getting back to where it should though so hopefully that's a good sign! lol!
  • irridia
    Options

Burning no, but definitely a very specific kind of soreness right where you're describing. Weird feeling, but goes away. My boobage is getting back to where it should though so hopefully that's a good sign! lol!
    [/quote]

Thanks! That's reassurring. It's really weird and then it itches when the lift is over and goes away. The itching, while annoying, made me more confident that it wasn't heart related, but it is nice to know that I'm feeling it in the muscles as I suspected and not elsewhere.

Oh, I forgot in my progress report to say that I used the speciffic hip opener and shoulder dislocation exercises from the SL site that someone else posted and it definately made a difference. Didn't quite do them in between each squat, but my hip flexors are not nearly as b***chy as they usually are the day after.

I'm also very slowly trying to retrain my abs back to their teen glory buy engaging the transverse everytime I think about it or notice my lower back start hurting. This should take the strain off the hip flexors and ease potential lumbar compression as well as contribute to 6 pack abs (which looks more like a 4 pack on girls for some reason)

Oh and due to finances it looks like my workshop at the end of the month is a no go, but really w/my hip flexors as they are, its probably a better idea not to participate. *sigh* maybe by the one at the end of august. I just really hate stretching... blarg!
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Completed my first session this morning. My bar did require the addition of some extra weight to acheive the starting minimums. I felt that I could have started heavier but understand the reasons for starting light and that the increases come pretty quickly. I have to say I really loved the feeling it gave me and the fact I didn't spend an hour or more getting the session done. I am going to study more videos today. I read and looked at so much last week I felt like I had brain damage!

Squats 45#
    Bench Press 45#
    Rows 65#

I welcome comments or suggestions so fling them my way if you see anything that needs said.

Kat
  • irridia
    Options
    Completed my first session this morning. My bar did require the addition of some extra weight to acheive the starting minimums. I felt that I could have started heavier but understand the reasons for starting light and that the increases come pretty quickly. I have to say I really loved the feeling it gave me and the fact I didn't spend an hour or more getting the session done. I am going to study more videos today. I read and looked at so much last week I felt like I had brain damage!

Squats 45#
    Bench Press 45#
    Rows 65#

I welcome comments or suggestions so fling them my way if you see anything that needs said.

excellent job and attitude.
    Beware though that as you add weight your time will increase, but still not as much as endless rep land.

Kat
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I did lift in my socks last night and it was fine. I didn't go up on my squats, still at 75! but I went up on the deadlifts (95) and overhead press (40). I did some of the "squat 2 stands" on the website for stretching.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I haven't had the burning either that I've noticed.

Make sure when you deadlift the bar is VERY VERY close to your legs. when you're in your start position your knees should be out past the bar (they will move out of the way as you come up) and your feet are under the bar pretty far
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Well, I finally (finally!) increased my overhead press weight from 45 to 50 lbs. I failed *every* set (varying degrees of failure - sometimes I managed 4 reps, once I only managed one piddly rep). BUT - I increased it. I will only get better! And, no, I didn't rest 5 whole minutes for each failed set, mostly because if I did that, I wouldn't get to do deadlifts, as all the dudes come pouring in at the end of women's-only hour and they all zip over to the Oly platforms.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same thing with my OHP, Steph. It's a good feeling.

Tomorrow is my bench and row day. It feels like it's been forEVER since I benched and I'm surprised that I am a little anxious about it.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Options
    Yesterday I did some interval training (off SL day) and part of my workout was tire flips. You get into a deep squat, lift tire and flip it. I did 5 sets of 10. Pretty simple, but pretty hard and great for getting your heart rate up. What I notice today though is my forearms are pretty sore! I know there's some people who have trouble with upper body strength and I think it's so easy to forget about our forearms. I'm going to look into some exercises to help strengthen my forearms a little more for bench and overhead press. I've had two bad breaks in my left arm so I know it's causing me some issues on the bench press. I see the bar dropping on the left immediately when I start to fail. I love finding my little weak spots! lol
  • irridia
    Options
    Well, I finally (finally!) increased my overhead press weight from 45 to 50 lbs. I failed *every* set (varying degrees of failure - sometimes I managed 4 reps, once I only managed one piddly rep). BUT - I increased it. I will only get better! And, no, I didn't rest 5 whole minutes for each failed set, mostly because if I did that, I wouldn't get to do deadlifts, as all the dudes come pouring in at the end of women's-only hour and they all zip over to the Oly platforms.

And then when you finish them you put them down look at them sternly and yell "HA!" or in my case "Ha B**ches!"

Good job!
  • Obatalatress
    Options
    I did my first workout today, I was in and out the gym so quick people that was there when I started was still working out when I left. It really felt good doing squats the correct way I was at the gym early this week and was doing them incorrectly and the front of my thighs were sore (still a little sore) but I notice the difference today when I did a full squat the correct way. I really enjoyed the whole workout today (squats, bench press and barbell rows). Sooo my days are Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays
  • Doreen_Murray
    Options
    I did my first workout today, I was in and out the gym so quick people that was there when I started was still working out when I left. It really felt good doing squats the correct way I was at the gym early this week and was doing them incorrectly and the front of my thighs were sore (still a little sore) but I notice the difference today when I did a full squat the correct way. I really enjoyed the whole workout today (squats, bench press and barbell rows). Sooo my days are Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays

Awesome! Congrats on your first day!
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Each day when I check in this group has gained quite a few new members! Pretty awesome.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Each day when I check in this group has gained quite a few new members! Pretty awesome.

I've been watching the numbers climb, too. I love it.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Well- first trip back since getting sick for two weeks and dealing with some other blah blah blahs.

Well- I went up in weight so I'm aaaalmost at the SL recommended starting weights lol Figure only a few more weeks and I'll be up to where he says to start for most of these.

I transferred out the back squat for three different exercises that I can actually do. Hope one day to work up to the back squat but for now- it is what it is. Tameko recommended a great article and I've since replaced my low back squat with a front squat, bb hip bridge and an extra set of DL's. So far it's working a lot better for me.

Just did the front squats and I'm not shaking, voiding or passing out like on the back ones. Think it was simply too much for my CNS to handle yet.

So today-
    Front squat- 10lbs
    Hip bridge- 25lbs
    Chest- 40lbs
    Row- 40lbs

Chest and Row were crappy form- I don't think I'm going to use my bench anymore.. gotta figure out a different system or buy a new bench. The rests for the barbell is RIGHT where my hands need to be. So I have to take it out- then wiggle or pop the bar to get my hands right- by that point my back's fallen and feet are off the floor.

The row- I dunno.. just couldn't seem to plant my feet at the right spot- It would look good but then when I picked up the bar it was moving backward too much- hard to describe but I've got it all on tape so I'm going to go over it again and again.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    do you think it's possible to go too low with the squat? I keep hearing A2G but the video doesn't really show anyone getting that low-even if grass were growing:laugh: I could get complete contact between ankle and glutes. Would this be too low? unnecessary? too hard? risk injury? It seems like that is the full range of motion for me, but maybe I am flexible? or my form would suffer potentially?