April Progress

Options

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I loved that Nia shanks post - but it led me to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U-kRaR8yfqg#!

this is actually something I would REALLY like to do. Someday. Without all the la la dancing in between, just the pole work.

omg... how is she doing these things? That is insane!
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I loved that Nia shanks post - but it led me to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=U-kRaR8yfqg#!

this is actually something I would REALLY like to do. Someday. Without all the la la dancing in between, just the pole work.

That is amazing. Gymnasts, pole athletes and dancers and the like have always just amazed me. They have to have just superhuman strength and flexibility, I'm in such awe!
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Thankfully hitting my knees only happens occasionally on deads, more likely on rows and then it's just because my body position isn't quite right. I'm sore and whiny today and hoping that this subsides by the time I lift tonight since I have to try a PR of squats at 125 tonight and I think it's also a PR for Deads, deads at 140 and back to OHP from having shifted to shoulder dumbell presses, hoping I can move forward because I don't think I can lever 30 lb dumbells into place for presses, I sure can't curl them!

I know I've stated my goals for tonight already, I"m just restating them for myself. :noway:
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    love the videos and the strong girls!
    I went up on everything last night, except squats, which I finally finished the 5x5 at 75 lbs. bench press at 65 which was really too hard and I missed a couple of reps at the end. Barbell rows I went up to 65 lbs but it's not feeling right and I think that is because I have to put it in the rack and not the floor and the lowest rack position is still kinda high. Any videos for women on the pendley rows?
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    all i found was this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UfIxRKldUg

but I thought you would have to jerk less in the pull. I thought the pull up was more controlled and slower, really capturing the lift at the top, squeezing those shoulder blades together???
  • amysj303
    Options
    thanks, I will keep trying. I could try the 35 pound bar with weights but it wouldn't be far enough off of the floor.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I busted through the triple digits today! Whoot! 100 pound squats. I never would have thought. Still at 60 pounds on the Overhead Press and 135 on my deadlift (will see how much back liked that tomorrow). Felt good today! Have a great weekend all! :drinker:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    love the videos and the strong girls!
    I went up on everything last night, except squats, which I finally finished the 5x5 at 75 lbs. bench press at 65 which was really too hard and I missed a couple of reps at the end. Barbell rows I went up to 65 lbs but it's not feeling right and I think that is because I have to put it in the rack and not the floor and the lowest rack position is still kinda high. Any videos for women on the pendley rows?

I put mine up on an areobic step when I don't have bumper plates (my school gym does though).

And I think pulling it up fast and hard is okay.
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    Yeah, the second video is what I was thinking in terms of less "jerk" more of a controlled lift/pull.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    I busted through the triple digits today! Whoot! 100 pound squats. I never would have thought. Still at 60 pounds on the Overhead Press and 135 on my deadlift (will see how much back liked that tomorrow). Felt good today! Have a great weekend all! :drinker:

Excellent work on everything, especially those squats! I can't wait to hit 100 lbs. Hoping to get there without stalling.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    Yeah, the second video is what I was thinking in terms of less "jerk" more of a controlled lift/pull.

Yeah I don't think either method is necessarily incorrect. I tend to have more of a jerk, but I am not feeling it in my upper back so I think I'm not squeezing my shoulder blades enough and/or maybe my grip is too wide. Most videos I've been watching have that jerk at the top though.
  • amysj303
    Options
    I could totally put it on aerobic steps! I like that idea.
  • KatrinaG2012
    KatrinaG2012 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Session 1B

Squats 50#
    OH Press 45#
    Deadlift 75#

Over all it felt like a pretty good session. I probably could have started with a heavier deadlift but I am not feeling so great. I was wondering if anyone had seen the power racks that are built of wood and pipe? My hubs is a pretty good carpenter and I can tell I am going to need one before long. It's a lot of money for new and Craigs list isn't likely to have one within a 100 mile radius of ruralsville anytime soon. It would help if my love would come down there and spot me. He is a great guy but his idea of heavy lifting is swinging a Big Bertha. He has shown some interest in my change of tactics though so one can hope. I should show him the pole video!

Have a great weekend all.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    Oh man... Squats at 85 lbs today. They are getting tough! Also, I really dislike pendlay rows. I just can't seem to get these. That, or they are just meant to be really awkward and uncomfortable.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm not doing the Pedlay's; I'm doing the classic barbell row. Even elevating the bar, I can't seem to get it in position correctly.
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options

Yeah I don't think either method is necessarily incorrect. I tend to have more of a jerk, but I am not feeling it in my upper back so I think I'm not squeezing my shoulder blades enough and/or maybe my grip is too wide. Most videos I've been watching have that jerk at the top though.

But then that would be a jerk row or a pendlay jerk:tongue: lol
    Also curious about the Shoulder Press/Strict Press/Overhead Press. Do you all do it seated or standing? I'm used to doing it standing, but there is more of a chance of the strict press becoming more of a push press as the weight increases. Wondering what the majority is doing here...
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options

Also curious about the Shoulder Press/Strict Press/Overhead Press. Do you all do it seated or standing? I'm used to doing it standing, but there is more of a chance of the strict press becoming more of a push press as the weight increases. Wondering what the majority is doing here...

I'm fairly sure it's supposed to be done standing. Here's the SL page on it: http://stronglifts.com/how-to-overhead-press-with-correct-technique/

I guess you could do it sitting, but you would lose a lot of the effects that you get from "stabilizing" while standing. If you find the overhead press becoming more of a push press, then I think rather than sitting it might be a better idea to de-load and work on form?
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options

Yep, it's supposed to be done standing. I am doing it seated because my ceilings are too low :tongue:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I guess you could do it sitting, but you would lose a lot of the effects that you get from "stabilizing" while standing. If you find the overhead press becoming more of a push press, then I think rather than sitting it might be a better idea to de-load and work on form?

Stabilizing myself during over head is probably where I feel my abs work the most out of the whole workout.