April Progress

Options

Replies

• _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    So my workout tonight went good-ish -- I failed on rep 5 of set 5 of my squats and I think I literally said "FOR F*CKS SAKE" as my butt hit the ground. Because I mean, COME ON. That was 140 though which is 10 lbs heavier than last time I failed so I mean, that's good.

Tonight was also deadlifts night, so we put the 45s on the bar and then my husband handed me a 10 and I was like "oh no, surely not" and he said "yep" and I was like "no, no way" and he was like "....are you deadlifting 155? then put the 10 on there". So I put the 10 on there and was like "HA. HA. HA..... Not gonna happen but what the hell I can at least tug ineffectually at the bar for a few seconds."

Pulled it TWICE (double overhand too) but the third was not happening so I deloaded to 145 lbs to finish out my set of 5. I believe the first time I pulled it I said "Holy *kitten*" at the time because I really really did not think it was going to happen.

LOL I wish I was at the gym with you when this happened. Too funny!

Yesterday, I did workout A for the second time. My legs are FINALLY no longer super sore, whew! Squats @ 55 went well. I benched @ 50 and that was fairly easy as well. I'm trying to resist the urge to up the weight quicker then the program says too. I was supposed to do rows at @ 60 but I guess I suck at math because I did them at 65 instead. It was a little tough but I did all 5 sets so I'll increase it next time.

Really loving the program so far! I can't wait til my next lifting day. I think I'm addicted :laugh:
  • krista896
    krista896 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I did my 7th session yesterday, suats- 75, bench- 60 (failed), row- 60.

I just managed to get past the bar on the over head press in session 6 and dead-lifted 95.

I'm progressing slowly because I have been only going to the gym 2 days a week instead of 3. My only days off work are Monday, Tuesday and Friday so I workout either Monday or Tuesday and Friday. I want go 3 days like the program suggests but I can seem to get the energy to go before or after work (I waitress from 10am to 8 pm, and am constantly on the move). I've only been at the job for a month and a half so I'm hoping my body will adjust to the increased activity level soon so I can really take advantage of the strong-lifts program.

Also how much is everyone eating a day?

I'm 5'2 and 124 lbs, I have my activity level set on active so I don't log any of my exercise. MFP has me on 1360 but some days I'm pretty hungry I eat more.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    workout 2 of week 4 of redux 3 wow, does that sound convoluted or what?
    Squats 110
    bench 90
    Row 80

will be very surprised if I manage all sets on monday of bench and rows
    if I should go for 135 or 140 for deads on friday

derailed on my workout due to family issues, but going to try to get in wed and fri in and I think I'll stick with my plan for monday for my lifts w/deads
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I want to go back and read up on other posts but I started last night, I plan to stick to a Mon, Wednesday, Friday schedule.
    Last night
    Squat: 65 lbs
    Bench: 55 lbs
    Rows: 45-never did this before so I am probably doing it wrong. I am using the bar so I just put in the lowest pegs on the squat rack but that is still 1 foot off of the ground. I could put some weight on the 35 bar and use plates to get it a little higher.
    I wish I knew someone who could help me out on these, but I work out at a small gym where I work and usually I have the place to myself.
    I tried Starting Strength for three weeks but I did stall, I couldn't increase the weights and then I couldn't even lift as heavy as the time before. I am going to try to increase each time, if only a little bit. There are small weights and magnetic ones you can add for incremental increases.
  • irridia
    Options
    I did my 7th session yesterday, suats- 75, bench- 60 (failed), row- 60.

I just managed to get past the bar on the over head press in session 6 and dead-lifted 95.

I'm progressing slowly because I have been only going to the gym 2 days a week instead of 3. My only days off work are Monday, Tuesday and Friday so I workout either Monday or Tuesday and Friday. I want go 3 days like the program suggests but I can seem to get the energy to go before or after work (I waitress from 10am to 8 pm, and am constantly on the move). I've only been at the job for a month and a half so I'm hoping my body will adjust to the increased activity level soon so I can really take advantage of the strong-lifts program.

I'm 5'2 and 124 lbs, I have my activity level set on active so I don't log any of my exercise. MFP has me on 1360 but some days I'm pretty hungry I eat more.

Waitressing is like doing cardio... only more stressfull, so it's understandable that your energy level wouldn't be up for lifting. you might not even see too much hinderance, just make certain that you get enough protein, esp on days you do lift.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I am following the calories on NROL4W, but I am set to maintain, so I get 1870 on rest days and 200 more on workout days. So I manually set my calories on MFP and log strength training as 80 minutes cardio which gives me the 200 cals, even though the workouts haven't been that long.
    I started eating like this when I started Starting Strength 4 weeks ago and I haven't gained (maybe a pound but I figure it is water).
    If you want a link, someone posted a good explanation of how to figure cals the NROL4W way, I never used that book or workout myself, but I needed something that was addressing women. Gosh, with Starting strength it was "drink a gallon of milk"
    The 5x5 nutrition seems reasonable, I like the breakdown for 90% which would be 4 cheat meals but I realize I will have to start at 80% and work my way up. Also, how do you define cheat meals? like yesterday I was all set with all my meals and snacks but I didn't like my veggie egg crustless quiche so I added a slice of bacon and put it on a tortilla. So is it ia cheat meal now?
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Krista I think that is WAAAAAY too low - what are you set to in terms of lbs/week to lose? I have a very active friend (not even her job or anything but she runs and walks a lot) who is 4'11" 95-99 lbs and eats 2200/day to maintain her weight.

I would say with your job you should set yourself to active AND eat your exercise calories.

I eat um... *cough*.....like 1800-2300 a day (and sometimes I eat like 25-2700). 5'6", 165, desk job. But that's a bit too high honestly, I probably *should* be eating around 1700-2000 to lose weight slowly. Its just hard for me to rein it in sometimes. But I mean I'm basically maintaining eating like this and did I mention I sit at a desk at least 8 hours of my day? (not because I spend the whole work day sitting but because after I work, i go home and sit some more)

So I realize you are a bit smaller than me but even so I think 1350 is not enough for anyone lifting, let alone someone on their feet all day for work.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Yep, definitely think you need to eat more Krista. I sit on my butt all day too. Without exercise my total daily burn is about 2300-2400. I tend to eat between 1900-2300, depending on exercise/activity level, and that leaves me with a 400-500 calorie deficit each day. Lifting requires fuel. :-)
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

I'm 5'9" 160lbs and I eat about 2200 a day. 1360 sounds pretty low.
  • _HeathBar_
    Options
    I'm eating 1800-2200 a day.
  • tameko2
    Options
    I am following the calories on NROL4W, but I am set to maintain, so I get 1870 on rest days and 200 more on workout days. So I manually set my calories on MFP and log strength training as 80 minutes cardio which gives me the 200 cals, even though the workouts haven't been that long.
    I started eating like this when I started Starting Strength 4 weeks ago and I haven't gained (maybe a pound but I figure it is water).
    If you want a link, someone posted a good explanation of how to figure cals the NROL4W way, I never used that book or workout myself, but I needed something that was addressing women. Gosh, with Starting strength it was "drink a gallon of milk"
    The 5x5 nutrition seems reasonable, I like the breakdown for 90% which would be 4 cheat meals but I realize I will have to start at 80% and work my way up. Also, how do you define cheat meals? like yesterday I was all set with all my meals and snacks but I didn't like my veggie egg crustless quiche so I added a slice of bacon and put it on a tortilla. So is it ia cheat meal now?

The definition of a cheat meal is usually "I didn't worry about it and just ate what I wanted".
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1800 and 200 calories a day depending on my activity level for the day. I am currently eating at a caloric deficit and I'm 5'2'' at about 130 lbs.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I've been pleasantly sore from deadlifts all day. I wish every lifting day was a deadlift day!

One thing I've been having fun doing is relaxing a little. I've been curious about high bar squats so I might do 5 reps (at a much lighter weight) as a warm-up. Same thing with overhead squat. So often I hear that the programs I choose are sacred and must not be messed with and these days I am just curious about certain lifts, wanting to have some fun and figure out what I might want to explore next. I don't want to abandon my training and definitely see the value in having a program but I am no longer guilty when I take a whole day off of the program to do a wide variety of SQUATS. I want to have a deadlifting extravaganza with Sumo deads, straightleg deads, maybe some crazy one-legged dumbbell deads some crazy person was doing on Fitocracy the other day.

I also have been having fun after I get done with my 100 lb. let's-try-for-perfect-form squats is to duplicate that form for a weight that is a good bit heavier for ONE rep. I can do one rep of heavy stuff real pretty...one time. It's when I get much past 100 lbs. that reps equal disintegrating form for me. I'm working on fixing that.
  • tameko2
    Options
    I think using warmup sets to play around with different variations is a good idea, you've been lifting long enough that you know the form anyhow.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea kensky. I will probably think of doing that once I feel like I have my form down and have progressed more.

My chest is sore from bench presses yesterday. I'm taking this as a sign that I'm doing them right!
  • irridia
    Options
    That's a great idea kensky. I will probably think of doing that once I feel like I have my form down and have progressed more.

My chest is sore from bench presses yesterday. I'm taking this as a sign that I'm doing them right!

I'd say you're right!
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I tried to increase my bench from 60 lbs to 65 lbs today and it was a pretty astonishingly epic fail. I could only manage 2-3 reps per set. I know that I'm supposed to wait 5 minutes if I fail a set, but... really? That's 25 minutes on bench press alone. I go to the "women's hour" at the gym most of the time, because it's much less crowded, and if I don't get to the olympic platforms before the dudes come in, there's no chance for me to do rows. So I waited 3 minutes instead of 5 between sets. Anyways, maybe next time...

I also had one of the staff take a very short video of my squat form. I want to put it up so you guys can critique the crap out of it, but I can't figure out how to rotate it and save it so that it's right-side up. Once I do that, I'd love feedback! :)
  • tameko2
    Options
    sounds like its time to get some fractionals for your bench press. You should do better next time though - sometimes we just have a crap day and we can't lift as much as we normally would.
  • _HeathBar_
    Options
    Failed at doing overhead presses today at 50lbs, could only manage one set of 5 and the rest were 3's at best. Darnit they were freakin hard! :angry:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I tried to increase my bench from 60 lbs to 65 lbs today and it was a pretty astonishingly epic fail. I could only manage 2-3 reps per set. I know that I'm supposed to wait 5 minutes if I fail a set, but... really? That's 25 minutes on bench press alone. I go to the "women's hour" at the gym most of the time, because it's much less crowded, and if I don't get to the olympic platforms before the dudes come in, there's no chance for me to do rows. So I waited 3 minutes instead of 5 between sets. Anyways, maybe next time...

I also had one of the staff take a very short video of my squat form. I want to put it up so you guys can critique the crap out of it, but I can't figure out how to rotate it and save it so that it's right-side up. Once I do that, I'd love feedback! :)

Windows Live Movie Maker is what I use. It's free.