April Progress

Options

Replies

• dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I use the app called strong log is that the ones you guys use? I am on android BTW! & going to concur those squats right now!! :happy: Yes I can, Yes I can Yes I can!!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I use the app called strong log is that the ones you guys use? I am on android BTW! & going to concur those squats right now!! :happy: Yes I can, Yes I can Yes I can!!

I'm using the iphone app but my husband is using something on android - probably what you're using.

PS my back feels fine this morning so I was right that it was probably just the general strain.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

Really? Is it more similar to the Iphone strong lifts ap? I must get this.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    That sucks the ap isn't available for andriod!

I have a question and hopefully a guru can help... I've been having troubles with DLs as of late. I feel like I'm in good position, but I keep whacking myself in the shins with the bar. I'm guessing it is something must be wrong with my form so I'm going to try to record myself today if I can figure out how. I don't feel like asking anybody to do it so it would require getting the spot in the corner where the mirrors meet and balancing my phone in my armband just right :tongue: Also thinking of trying a switch grip... anybody experienced and overcome this?
  • dianacannon89
    Options

Check out the one I use called strong logs its pretty cool!
  • mandasimba
    Options

I've got the iphone so I've got the ap, just sucks for others... showing off my empathy :wink: Though I will still check it out!
  • dianacannon89
    Options
    April 9th
    Squat 85LBS
    OHP 60LBS
    Deads75LBS

April 11th
    Squat - BW -
    Bench- 70LBS
    Pendelay row-75LBS

April 13th
    Squats- BW- could not hit paralell with the bar I can do them with BW great im hitting below parallel but I put the bar on and I am leaning forward ...
    OHP- 65LBS
    Deads-95LBS

This was my 6th workout I gotta get over this squat issue it is SERIOUSLY dissapointing

Does anyone add in exercises? My problem areas are obviously every where LMAO but I am thinking of adding in lat pull downs with the rope to get a good extension.. what do you guys think? And what do you add?
  • dianacannon89
    Options

I've got the iphone so I've got the ap, just sucks for others... showing off my empathy :wink: Though I will still check it out!

lolololol I completely missed that!!
  • tameko2
    Options

I have a question and hopefully a guru can help... I've been having troubles with DLs as of late. I feel like I'm in good position, but I keep whacking myself in the shins with the bar. I'm guessing it is something must be wrong with my form so I'm going to try to record myself today if I can figure out how. I don't feel like asking anybody to do it so it would require getting the spot in the corner where the mirrors meet and balancing my phone in my armband just right :tongue: Also thinking of trying a switch grip... anybody experienced and overcome this?

It sounds like you're pulling your shoulders back before you lift your hips. IT should happen at the same time. I think this article is the most helpful there:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/clean-style-deadlift-technique.html --there's a series of 4 shots next to each other showing thye progression of standing up.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Excellent article on deadlifts, tameko! I needed that too.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I had my first lifting day in what seems like forever but it was only about a week. It felt so good!

I log my warmups on the notes section of the stronglifts app. I warmed up a lot today because all of these minor strains and pulls are a bummer, man.

Squats:
    Warmup with low bar back squats--5 reps of 45 lb (justthebar)
    Goblet squats--10 reps of 20lb
    Box squats--5x45

then onto worksets...
    Squats--5 sets of 5 reps of 100 lbs. It took me awhile to get low enough honestly.

Bench!
    warmed up with 5 reps of justhebar then another 5 of 50 lbs
    5x5x65 lbs. which felt good and just heavy enough

Pendlay rows
    warmed up with 5x55
    5x5x75

Some dude was doing curls and crunches on a bench stationed pretty close to the power cage. It was a little awkward during the rows since I arch my back and stick my butt out like a cat in heat in order to have good form. Free show!
  • mandasimba
    Options
    I'm sure he enjoyed the show ;) Way to go Kensky :) Hope all your strains pains are gone!

Thanks for the article Tam.

I tried to use the video on the iphone as it was strapped to my arm, but that didn't work at all. I was probably 10 feet from the mirror and it looked like I was on the other side of the gym. So small. Can't even get the lazy boyfriend to come to the gym for a few minutes just to record me :\

Failed miserably on the shoulder press. I have ridiculously weak shoulders :( For the last year or so I always get really bad pain in my left shoulder whenever I work it. If I can guess where the area is on a picture, google images tells me it is a teres muscle. Getting my learn on today. I could be way off. I barely have the heads shoulders knees and toes song down. I still have to sneak a peak to see what others are doing. One day if I ever get health insurance that I don't have to pay everything out of pocket, I might get it checked out... so perhaps in another decade :tongue:

Sorry for the ramblyness, I'm sugared up and there is nobody here to talk to at the moment!
  • jenniejengin
    jenniejengin Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    bump
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Did Workout B for the first time last night. I was (and am) still super sore from the first workout A, but I went to the gym anyways.

I upped by Squats to 50. It was really hard to keep form with my legs hurting so bad but I tried my best. I have no bruises and marks on my back from the bar this time so that's good. Apparently I was doing a high bar squat the first time and resting it right on my spine. Opps!

Overhead Press - dang these were hard. Again my whole upper body was already sore from the Benching and at the end of set 5 I was getting really wobbly. I think my form was really good, Rippetoe's video's were a life saver here.

Deadlifts. I did the recommended 95lbs to start. It felt good. I wanted to do more but I restrained myself. My form on this needs some adjusting, I think my back was rounding too much.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Did workout 5 last night.

Squats-120 lbs

Bench Press-70 lbs for first 3 sets before I realized I hadn't increased by 5 pounds this week. Oops. Upped it to 75 and set 4 was fine but failed after 3rd rep on set 5.

Barbell Row-75 lbs
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options

Squats-120 lbs

Bench Press-70 lbs for first 3 sets before I realized I hadn't increased by 5 pounds this week. Oops. Upped it to 75 and set 4 was fine but failed after 3rd rep on set 5.

Barbell Row-75 lbs

Rock on sister!!! Great workout and I feel like I'm turning into a SL junky! lol...wish I could do it every day.
  • tameko2
    Options
    I am deloading the barbell rows now and I am relieved, I probably should have deloaded on my own sooner but I figured I'd try it.

They're just...weird. Video really helped - my husband noticed that I tend to lean down further into the bar when I'm struggling and he tends to pull back a bit. (like I think rae was saying she feels like she stands up a little?) So yeah video + another person watching was useful, but even with it I just don't feel like I am getting it right. I do maybe 3 I feel good abotu and the rest suck, which just means its too heavy IMO.

But I hit an awesome milestone on squats- 45 lb plates today!! Like a BOSS. That was a new record for me, 135, because I'd previously deloaded from 130. Its still tough, I'm probably going to deload in another add or two. I *might* start using my fractional plates - I can't decide what I want to do there.

I failed the bench press at 80 last week so I used my new fractional plates to deload to 72.5 and that went well. I'm going to do 2.5lb increments for that now.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options

But I hit an awesome milestone on squats- 45 lb plates today!! Like a BOSS.

Awesome! I keep eyeballing mine, thinking to myself "I WILL get to you"
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options

Squats-120 lbs

Barbell Row-75 lbs

Rock on sister!!! Great workout and I feel like I'm turning into a SL junky! lol...wish I could do it every day.

I feel that way, too. Been kind of bummed that I'm not doing anything this weekend (I do need the rest)
  • tameko2
    Options
    So my workout tonight went good-ish -- I failed on rep 5 of set 5 of my squats and I think I literally said "FOR F*CKS SAKE" as my butt hit the ground. Because I mean, COME ON. That was 140 though which is 10 lbs heavier than last time I failed so I mean, that's good.

Tonight was also deadlifts night, so we put the 45s on the bar and then my husband handed me a 10 and I was like "oh no, surely not" and he said "yep" and I was like "no, no way" and he was like "....are you deadlifting 155? then put the 10 on there". So I put the 10 on there and was like "HA. HA. HA..... Not gonna happen but what the hell I can at least tug ineffectually at the bar for a few seconds."

Pulled it TWICE (double overhand too) but the third was not happening so I deloaded to 145 lbs to finish out my set of 5. I believe the first time I pulled it I said "Holy *kitten*" at the time because I really really did not think it was going to happen.