April Progress

Options

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Some things that help me with deads.

Keep your bark arched (stick your boobs out).
    Make sure your *kitten* is low enough (bend your knees).
    The bar should practically scrap your shins as it comes up (wear socks or pants if it literally does).
    Focus on bringing your shoulders straight up first.

if you look at the wall it will help keep your back flat - otherwise natural tendency is to let the upper back curve (because of the weight pulling down on your shoulders.

Ah, good advice. I think my biggest things to fix are keeping my butt low enough and focusing on bringing my shoulders up first.

And yes, I had to sit for the OH presses. :ohwell:
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Workout 3 complete.

Squats 110 lbs (these felt really good today. I wanted to increase the weight further but exercised patience instead).

Bench Press 70 lbs. (the last rep of every set was a struggle but I pushed it out. Going to need a spotter soon enough so I'll have to ask one of the guys).

Barbell Row 70 lbs (I watched a video on Youtube on form and they were so much easier this week. I felt like I could have done a lot more so I'm not sure if I should increase or not. I didn't find them challenging at all at 70 pounds.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Workout 3 complete.

Squats 110 lbs (these felt really good today. I wanted to increase the weight further but exercised patience instead).

Bench Press 70 lbs. (the last rep of every set was a struggle but I pushed it out. Going to need a spotter soon enough so I'll have to ask one of the guys).

Barbell Row 70 lbs (I watched a video on Youtube on form and they were so much easier this week. I felt like I could have done a lot more so I'm not sure if I should increase or not. I didn't find them challenging at all at 70 pounds.

Paaaaatience. Did you do regular barbell rows or pendlay rows?
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Woo, bunch of buff chicks on here! :D
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I've just done four workouts so far so I'm still building up to challenging weights. I completed Stage 1 of NROL4W before this, decided to switch programs.

Doing MWF but sometimes I have to switch it to TTS

I failed on my overhead presses yesterday, my second set I was only able to complete 3, but that's ok, I definitely am not ready to progress, it was damn hard.

Everything is going well, my only complaint is at this stage with the lower weights you're done really quickly and it feels unchallenging. I don't like that he deleted pullups either, so since I can't even hold a negative pullup yet, I'm doing 5x5 with lat pulldowns to start with.
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I added pull ups to the routine as well (great minds :drinker: ) Routine B. The gym I go to has a few assisted pull up/dip things and they go in 6lb incriments (though the smallest amount is 18lbs I think) so I'm trying to do the 5x5 routine with it as well... if I ever make it to the 18lbs, maybe I'll just amputate a calf to get a full pull up :p
  • Carolyn_79
    Options
    Workout 3 complete.

Paaaaatience. Did you do regular barbell rows or pendlay rows?

I did regular barbell rows. Are Pendlay's more difficult?
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I dk if their more difficult but they are deff the ones he wants us doing in the routine

ETA they might be more or less difficult everyone is different
  • Carolyn_79
    Options
    I dk if their more difficult but they are deff the ones he wants us doing in the routine

So do you pile the weights on the floor for the barbell to rest on after each rep? Otherwise the plates are not big enough yet in diameter to elevate the bar high enough for me.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

So do you pile the weights on the floor for the barbell to rest on after each rep? Otherwise the plates are not big enough yet in diameter to elevate the bar high enough for me.

They are different and I find them more difficult, because you're lifting the weight off a dead floor - they are also way more strenuous on your whole body. I do recommend then but they feel DAMN weird.

And yeah just put plates down to elevate the bar. Its also good because its your counterpart to the deadlift on workout day ....B? Well whichever. They use your core a LOT more and your triceps a bit less

PS: I *want* to add chinups to the end but I am soooo tired after there's no way I'd be able to do one.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Pendlay rows are definitely more difficult. I did put plates under each end for lift the first time I did them. And my abs were actually pretty sore the next day.

I decided to skip my 3rd lifting day this week. My uterus is angry. :grumble:
  • Carolyn_79
    Options
    Thanks for the tips ladies. I'll do the Pendlays' from now on.
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options

Yes that is what I do.. Mine are still small as well... Im carying 4 45's around to stack people look at me like im nuts but I dc! :laugh:
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I do pendlays as well.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Workout 3 complete.

Great progress! :)
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I just did my first workout today. It was definitely too easy but I'm determined to pace myself. I used a couple plates to lift the bar up a bit for the pendlays but they felt a bit weird. First I was pulling to my chest, then I tried the visualize pulling elbows to the ceiling thing to help pull it to my abs. I have no clue if Im doing them right or not. I just didn't feel anything even after 6 sets. Hopefully as I add weight I will be able to have a "feel" for my form. I just try to squeeze my back at the top. I turned sideways and looked at my form in the mirror. My back was straight but Im fat, my belly closes the space that probably should be open for the pull :laugh:

I also struggle on the bench press, I squeeze my shoulders in but my butt doesn't lift up and my feet sit firmly on the floor. Again, this may change with weight.

1 question, I have deadlifts on Wednesday. I am leaning towards doing the sumo with the alternating grip, he has a youtube video with a female student of his breaking records and she uses it, I have lower back pain and from reading online, this seems to be the one less stressful for back as you spread feet as wide as you need and arms are inside. My thighs are to wide and with legs closed, i find it difficult to get a good deadlift without lower back pain using an outside grip. Any thoughts?
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Irridia: Ouch!!! sorry to hear that. Did you skin your knee or bruise it? Either way is no fun!

Sorry you've been feeling a bit depressed. I know the feeling! Lifting tomorrow sounds like a good plan. I will if you will! ;)

Both. The scrape is very minor, and from the outside you can't tell it's bruised. I landed on a curb, it kinda feels like maybe the patella itself is bruised. I'm afraid I skipped out. We walked quite a bit on Saturday though and my knees and hips were *****y after.

I'm going to push through tonight though maybe lighter weight on it. I think it's deadlift night too, so that may be a wait and see kinda thing. If I can get the go ahead for taking a bellydance workshop ($wise), I think that will lift my spirits, and even though it isn't really the class I want I may start taking lessons again on saturdays. I think it would help. I need to not let stupid circumstances overwhelm me.
  • irridia
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Yes! I actually have some of the big plastic standard weights and I use those for a platform. You can really hurt your wrists if you don't.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

We set ours (the middle of the bar) on one of those rebook steps.
  • irridia
    Options
    Can't remember how I found it, but one of the youtube vids I watched said that as you add weight, your form breaks down.
    i.e. you find your weak parts and it may be that you need to do accessory exercies for those weak parts. Or it may be that you were having form problems before but couldn't tell because the weight wasn't approaching your limit.

I try to keep this in mind to keep from getting down about it and just fix what's broken.