April Progress

Options

Replies

• irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I have a stiff back today and thinking it was from my deadlifts. The weight didn't seem too high, but stiff back nevertheless so something is off! Bleh. I forgot just one deadlift, and did a full set of 5 so maybe that's why. At least it doesn't hurt, but going to have to pay closer attention to my form next time!

...wait what?! I thought we were supposed to do one set of 5 we only do 1 lift?!
    I believe it is just one lift. After I finished 5 I went to log the set on the SL phone app, but when I went to log it, it wouldn't let me and I got a message that it is only one lift for deads!

Ok that seems strange? I also thought it was one set of 5 reps. Not just one rep.

Sounds like the app programmer got it wrong. On deads it's one set of 5 at your lowest warm up weight, one set of 5 at your next warm up weight and 1 set of 5 at your working weight.
  • irridia
    Options
    Knee slightly less *****y today. Held up fine during squats yesterday and complained a little about deads.

As of last night stats are:
    Squats 105 (did all 5 sets! yay!)
    Dumbell Presses 20 (think when I get to 30 I'll either go back to overheads or alternate like my hubby does)
    Deadlifts 130 ( will be happy when I get back to my prev personal record of 155)

I've found that opening my stance some seems to help my squats. Stepped out a teensy bit past the shoulder and pointed the non ouchy toe slighly out. I also added the thumbless grip and found I was able to keep more upright coming out of the hole.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Nice, irridia! Amazing what just slight changes to grip and form can do. :)

I tried the j-curve with bench presses last night. Was a very odd position but I think it was working better. Not sure. I think it's just that it's not quite heavy enough yet, but I am hesitant to just add a ton of weight. Just need some patience with it I think.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    That's awesome irridia!

I haven't tried the jcurve yet deliberately and if I'm doing it I don't know it, all I'm trying to do is get the bar back in the air at this point. :/ although I'm deloading next time so I guess I'll ask my husband to watch it for me. I was watching him last night and he does it naturally.

I've never had that issue with the app on deads - it shows 1 set of 5 for me. I wish it had warmups built in frankly, but I tend to just do a set of romanian deadlifts with a curl bar for a warm up.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have a stiff back today and thinking it was from my deadlifts. The weight didn't seem too high, but stiff back nevertheless so something is off! Bleh. I forgot just one deadlift, and did a full set of 5 so maybe that's why. At least it doesn't hurt, but going to have to pay closer attention to my form next time!

...wait what?! I thought we were supposed to do one set of 5 we only do 1 lift?!
    I believe it is just one lift. After I finished 5 I went to log the set on the SL phone app, but when I went to log it, it wouldn't let me and I got a message that it is only one lift for deads!

Ok that seems strange? I also thought it was one set of 5 reps. Not just one rep.

Sounds like the app programmer got it wrong. On deads it's one set of 5 at your lowest warm up weight, one set of 5 at your next warm up weight and 1 set of 5 at your working weight.
    I did the warmup set, but I just checked the PDF and the app again to see what is recommended and it says to do one set of five only (after warmup), so I guess I'll just continue with the app.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I got through workout 2 today. Some things are still way to light for me.. for example.. deadlifts. I forgot and did 2 wmup sets with 65 lbs. then 5 sets of 5 w/95.. I was on the 7th set of deadlifts when i remembered I was only supposed to do ONE!! :/ fail... LOL

Shoulder press, I have had 2 tears so I KNOW this is going to be a challenge for me. Where do you guys find the supporting exercises at? I love doing them w/the bar though! Seems to hit a completely different set of muscles but I will end up at the deload point pretty quick, probably my next workout. I struggled through the 5 sets at 50 :(

Swear I get so pumped about these workouts I wake up at 3 and have to stop myself from lifting and go do spinning or something!! I dream about form! LOL!!
  • StartingAnewDay
    Options
    Nice, irridia! Amazing what just slight changes to grip and form can do. :)

I tried the j-curve with bench presses last night. Was a very odd position but I think it was working better. Not sure. I think it's just that it's not quite heavy enough yet, but I am hesitant to just add a ton of weight. Just need some patience with it I think.

What's this?? I'll try google and youtube.. I am having trouble with keeping my back arched for the bench.

Also with deads, the 25 lb plate seems way low for me. Im large, (needing to lose about 100) so when i fold my body to pick up I kind of have to curve my back or raise my butt a little as my tummy is already pressed as far into my thighs as it will go!! I practically can't breathe!! :embarassed:
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    April 1rst
    Squat 65 LBS
    Bench 45 LBS
    Barbell Row 45 LBS

April 4th
    Squat 75LBS
    OHP 55LBS
    Deads 65LBS

April 7th
    Squat 80LBS
    Bench 60LBS
    Barbell Row 50LBS

April 9th
    Squat 85LBS
    OHP 60LBS
    Deads75LBS

April 11th
    Squat - BW - first time with out smith machiene and I am now in FEAR of the squats .. Im afraid im going to fall over afraid im not going low enough ... how the hell do I get over this?

Bench- 70LBS
    Pendelay row-75LBS
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    L4L69~ Tameko gave us this link for the bench. At the bottom it talks about the J curve:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/bench-press-technique.html

Diana, trust yourself. You can squat. I used this as my warm up until I increased weight enough to use the bar for warm ups. It seemed to help and I could tell the difference if I didn't do them.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=/watch?v=uCmcNSmvHMM&v=uCmcNSmvHMM&gl=US
  • tameko2
    Options
    Losing4life - your butt DOES stick up quite a bit...or rather, it sticks OUT quite a bit.

It helped me in the beginning if I push my butt back like I'm going to squat or do a stiff legged deadlift FIRST , get my back all straight and perfect, then I just bend my knees til my hands are on the bar.

If you still think the 25 lb plates leave it too low for you, you can add a plate under either side and pull from there.
  • StartingAnewDay
    Options
    Losing4life - your butt DOES stick up quite a bit...or rather, it sticks OUT quite a bit.

It helped me in the beginning if I push my butt back like I'm going to squat or do a stiff legged deadlift FIRST , get my back all straight and perfect, then I just bend my knees til my hands are on the bar.

If you still think the 25 lb plates leave it too low for you, you can add a plate under either side and pull from there.

Good idea.. think I'll practice that when i get home this evening. Might be challenging, when i squat, my PT taught me to squat by imagining myself sitting into a chair a bit behind me, So i now have this image of me bending over, leaning back but forgetting to bend my knees because I'm concentrating on keeping my back in a line :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :embarassed:

My kids would find this HUGELY amusing.. Like when I tried to do the ariel switch hands catch with the kettlebell and it went flying!!
  • StartingAnewDay
    Options
    L4L69~ Tameko gave us this link for the bench. At the bottom it talks about the J curve:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/training/bench-press-technique.html

Diana, trust yourself. You can squat. I used this as my warm up until I increased weight enough to use the bar for warm ups. It seemed to help and I could tell the difference if I didn't do them.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=/watch?v=uCmcNSmvHMM&v=uCmcNSmvHMM&gl=US

Ok so this discouraged me a little.. Going to be hard going when I can't see or tell what I'm doing.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. The movement is not huge. I think it's just one of those things you have to feel. I'm working on my squat now because I knew something was wrong.
  • StartingAnewDay
    Options
    Not the squats. I'm really timid and self concious about form on the benchpress. I have/had 2 VERY painful rotator cuff tears. Form on this is going to be essential. :(.. scared but I'm tired of bieng afraid, going to just do my best and take it very slow.
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Workout 4 complete.

Squat-115 lbs (I felt I really got my form down today. I love squats. They are my absolute favourite to do)

OHP-50 lbs (second week stuck at 50 lbs. I was alright until the last set and I had no juice and couldn't do it. I went down to just the bar for the last set. I guess I'm stuck at 50 lbs for one more week :( )

Deadlift-115 lbs (These are also one of my favourite moves)
  • tameko2
    Options
    Workout 4 complete.

Squat-115 lbs (I felt I really got my form down today. I love squats. They are my absolute favourite to do)

OHP-50 lbs (second week stuck at 50 lbs. I was alright until the last set and I had no juice and couldn't do it. I went down to just the bar for the last set. I guess I'm stuck at 50 lbs for one more week :( )

Deadlift-115 lbs (These are also one of my favourite moves)

did you give yourself enough rest time on the ohp? Between sets I mean? I find an extra minute or 2 can make a difference.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Did my first workout tonight. Went pretty well, I'm already feeling sore. The squats left a little bruise on my upper back where the bar was resting :frown: I guess I have to work on making a better "shelf".

45 Squat
    45 Bench
    55 Row
  • irridia
    Options
    workout 2 of week 4 of redux 3 wow, does that sound convoluted or what?
    Squats 110
    bench 90
    Row 80

will be very surprised if I manage all sets on monday of bench and rows
    if I should go for 135 or 140 for deads on friday
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    hmm - oh and my other tip is, don't assume you're going to fail. Don't stop a set because you "know" you're going to fail. Just squeeze out that last rep as best you can - sometimes you have one more rep left in you even when you don't know you do.
    This is something I need to remember. I may have failed my barbell rows last night b/c I assumed I couldn't do one more.
  • irridia
    Options
    April 1rst
    Squat 65 LBS
    Bench 45 LBS
    Barbell Row 45 LBS

April 4th
    Squat 75LBS
    OHP 55LBS
    Deads 65LBS

April 7th
    Squat 80LBS
    Bench 60LBS
    Barbell Row 50LBS

April 9th
    Squat 85LBS
    OHP 60LBS
    Deads75LBS

April 11th
    Squat - BW - first time with out smith machiene and I am now in FEAR of the squats .. Im afraid im going to fall over afraid im not going low enough ... how the hell do I get over this?

Bench- 70LBS
    Pendelay row-75LBS

Good progression! If you are doing squats at home without a power rack, then add 2 heavy kitchen chairs, one on either side of the bar as catchweights, if you are at a gym, use their power rack and there's nothing to fear at all!