April 7th
    Squat 80LBS
    Bench 60LBS
    Barbell Row 50LBS

April 9th
    Squat 85LBS
    OHP 60LBS
    Deads75LBS

Squats +20lbs after 4 work outs! woop woop!

Has anyone done this work out through 100lbs weight loss or more? I think I should be doing NRoL4W bc that focuses on more areas I dont want any flaby triceps KWIM? What do you ladies think?!
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Irridia, I found this to be true. I deloaded to 80 on squats Saturday and was able to correct my form. I was able to keep my weight on my heels. I guess I'll see how it goes from here. I also watched youtube for the deadlifts we're supposed to be doing and changed them up from sldl. Definitely felt the change afterward. :laugh:
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I dk if their more difficult but they are deff the ones he wants us doing in the routine

ETA they might be more or less difficult everyone is different

So do you pile the weights on the floor for the barbell to rest on after each rep? Otherwise the plates are not big enough yet in diameter to elevate the bar high enough for me.

We set ours (the middle of the bar) on one of those rebook steps.

GENIUS!!!!! Why cant I ever think of things like this! Awesome thanks for sharing this
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options

We set ours (the middle of the bar) on one of those rebook steps.

I'm going to have to find one. I've been using an old metal milk crate. I don't want to tear it up as the weight increases.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Has anyone done this work out through 100lbs weight loss or more? I think I should be doing NRoL4W bc that focuses on more areas I dont want any flaby triceps KWIM? What do you ladies think?!

I haven't but this is a really good full body workout, I would think for total weight loss it will be just as good as NROLFW if not better - the only difference is that NROLFW also adds more cardio elements, bodyweight, etc. But honestly, don't worry about that stuff. you're hitting a lot of small muscles with the big compound movement. Like, my husband was whining about his core (which is weak) but once you get up to squatting a certain amount your core works HARD.

I do have a friend who has lifted very heavy and started losing when she was over 300 lbs. She doesn't regret it at all - there is a huge difference in the way a physically fit but overweight person looks that makes her very happy (and me too, on my own body).

I'd say - stick with this for now but keep up some light cardio in addition to it. When you get closer to goal is when you can start worrying about specific muscle groups if you need to.
    Can't remember how I found it, but one of the youtube vids I watched said that as you add weight, your form breaks down.
    i.e. you find your weak parts and it may be that you need to do accessory exercies for those weak parts. Or it may be that you were having form problems before but couldn't tell because the weight wasn't approaching your limit.

I have totally experienced this - I'm not sure I'd say 'breaks down" but anything I was doing before that wasn't quite right slowly becomes apparent as I add weight. Like I was fine for 2 weeks, then my knees started to buckle so I realized my stance wasn't quite right. And before that I had the thing someone asked about with the bruised spot on your back - figured out how to hold the bar better. Tweaked my forearm once while unracking and realized my arms weren't quite right.

Stuff like that.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else use the "thumbless grip" on the bar when they squat? Discovered the recommendation in Ripptoe's Starting Strength and I have found it makes the low-bar squat like 10x more comfortable everywhere - shoulders, where the bar rests, my wrists, balancing the bar better...

3yo7p.jpg
  • tameko2
    Options
    Does anyone else use the "thumbless grip" on the bar when they squat? Discovered the recommendation in Ripptoe's Starting Strength and I have found it makes the low-bar squat like 10x more comfortable everywhere - shoulders, where the bar rests, my wrists, balancing the bar better...

3yo7p.jpg

Yes - neutral thumb, you always should on squats IMO because if you need to ditch the bar the last thing you want to do is have your thumb in the way. And you don't need it to hold the bar because the pressure of your palms against the pressure of your traps does that already.

and yeah it tweaks your wrists weird if you use your thumb for the squats too.
  • tameko2
    Options
    speaking of grip, the other thing I have FINALLY learned to do is put the bar against my fingers for pulling motions and against my palms for pushing motions.
  • valerieschram
    valerieschram Posts: 97 Member
    Options

3yo7p.jpg

Yes, I do. I have been using the Starting Strength book as my guide on form for the Stronglifts progam. I am not sure if and how they might differ.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options

I haven't but this is a really good full body workout, I would think for total weight loss it will be just as good as NROLFW if not better - the only difference is that NROLFW also adds more cardio elements, bodyweight, etc. But honestly, don't worry about that stuff. you're hitting a lot of small muscles with the big compound movement. Like, my husband was whining about his core (which is weak) but once you get up to squatting a certain amount your core works HARD.

I do have a friend who has lifted very heavy and started losing when she was over 300 lbs. She doesn't regret it at all - there is a huge difference in the way a physically fit but overweight person looks that makes her very happy (and me too, on my own body).

I'd say - stick with this for now but keep up some light cardio in addition to it. When you get closer to goal is when you can start worrying about specific muscle groups if you need to.
    Can't remember how I found it, but one of the youtube vids I watched said that as you add weight, your form breaks down.
    i.e. you find your weak parts and it may be that you need to do accessory exercies for those weak parts. Or it may be that you were having form problems before but couldn't tell because the weight wasn't approaching your limit.

I have totally experienced this - I'm not sure I'd say 'breaks down" but anything I was doing before that wasn't quite right slowly becomes apparent as I add weight. Like I was fine for 2 weeks, then my knees started to buckle so I realized my stance wasn't quite right. And before that I had the thing someone asked about with the bruised spot on your back - figured out how to hold the bar better. Tweaked my forearm once while unracking and realized my arms weren't quite right.

Stuff like that.

ZACTLY!!
  • tameko2
    Options

3yo7p.jpg

Yes, I do. I have been using the Starting Strength book as my guide on form for the Stronglifts progam. I am not sure if and how they might differ.

the programs themselves are a bit different, but the "how to do the exercise' part will be the same. The only thing that will be weird is stuff like the barbell rows, which SL5x5 *calls* barbell rows but MEANS pendlay rows.

Also, we skipped Sat (we helped me MIL move all morning and then I was just toast) but I feel good about tonight. Gonna blast through that 80 lb bench.

I hope.
  • dianacannon89
    Options
    Thanks ladies I am so glad I have you!!

Everyone in my "support system" is so anti weight lifting its sickning... tonight my friend who is very educated regarding weight and health and fitness and exercise made me so mad bc I told her I have another MFP she is 5'4 weighs 190 ish weight trains 3 days a week and has for at least 6 months and bought a size 8 jeans and she just wouldnt stop that I was making it up etc... I just dont know how to explain to them simply that ****S REALLLLL! :laugh: She has struggeld for 6 years to get off the last 15 lbs ... you would think by now she would figure out cardio isnt working cal cutting isnt working .. hmm what else is there?!

weight training!!

Anyone 5'4?
  • STurbs33
    STurbs33 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I love this group! Today I was redoing my squat and bench press weights after failing in my last two workouts. It's been super frustrating but today I was able to do all 25 reps and will be increasing weight on all of my lifts next workout!

Squats: 85lbs, Rows: 70lbs, Bench:70lbs
  • tameko2
    Options
    Thanks ladies I am so glad I have you!!

Everyone in my "support system" is so anti weight lifting its sickning... tonight my friend who is very educated regarding weight and health and fitness and exercise made me so mad bc I told her I have another MFP she is 5'4 weighs 190 ish weight trains 3 days a week and has for at least 6 months and bought a size 8 jeans and she just wouldnt stop that I was making it up etc... I just dont know how to explain to them simply that ****S REALLLLL! :laugh: She has struggeld for 6 years to get off the last 15 lbs ... you would think by now she would figure out cardio isnt working cal cutting isnt working .. hmm what else is there?!

weight training!!

Anyone 5'4?

I'm 5'6" and 165 and also wearing a size 8. In slacks even, I've got a 6 in jeans (although I think that was just a weirdly stretchy 6 honestly).

Show her my new pic! but um, don't tell her how hard I'm sucking in. >_> Haha.

We worked out tonight and it feels pretty good although I didn't get past my 80lb bench press. Le sigh. That means its time to deload. When my fractionals arrive I'm going to start using them for the bench, probably the pendlay's and overhead press too.

But regardless, I physically feel good, my muscles aren't super exhausted and I don't feel tired so I think I'm doing much better this week. Also I'm not RAVENOUSLY hungry like I have been lately. Maybe I will actually lose a pound in april (le shock!)
  • dianacannon89
    Options
    Ok great thanks!

I just found out I have been using the smith machine which Mendhi says 100% not to use:sad: I thought what I was using was a power rack and then I googled smith machiene bc I got an email about not using it and I was like ... DAM so do I deload and use something else or do I just try same weight while using something else?
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I have a stiff back today and thinking it was from my deadlifts. The weight didn't seem too high, but stiff back nevertheless so something is off! Bleh. I forgot just one deadlift, and did a full set of 5 so maybe that's why. At least it doesn't hurt, but going to have to pay closer attention to my form next time!
  • dianacannon89
    Options
    I have a stiff back today and thinking it was from my deadlifts. The weight didn't seem too high, but stiff back nevertheless so something is off! Bleh. I forgot just one deadlift, and did a full set of 5 so maybe that's why. At least it doesn't hurt, but going to have to pay closer attention to my form next time!

...wait what?! I thought we were supposed to do one set of 5 we only do 1 lift?!
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options

...wait what?! I thought we were supposed to do one set of 5 we only do 1 lift?!
    I believe it is just one lift. After I finished 5 I went to log the set on the SL phone app, but when I went to log it, it wouldn't let me and I got a message that it is only one lift for deads!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

I believe it is just one lift. After I finished 5 I went to log the set on the SL phone app, but when I went to log it, it wouldn't let me and I got a message that it is only one lift for deads!

Ok that seems strange? I also thought it was one set of 5 reps. Not just one rep.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Ok great thanks!

I just found out I have been using the smith machine which Mendhi says 100% not to use:sad: I thought what I was using was a power rack and then I googled smith machiene bc I got an email about not using it and I was like ... DAM so do I deload and use something else or do I just try same weight while using something else?

I would do your warmups and see how you feel, if you feel wobbly or like your form is off, deload, if not try it at what you've been doing, if you make it through 5 sets without having to grind more than the last 2 reps you can move on, if not then do that weight over again.

Others feel free to add input.