April Progress

Options

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have been dying to find out so I went on a google hunt the other day. Turns out I am actually doing pretty good. But it was impossible to know with all the stronglifts ' RAWR SQUAT 300 LBS IN 12 WEEKS" BS.
  • valerieschram
    valerieschram Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that is good to know. It's nice that it accounts for your weight too.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    That website is cool. Looks like I'm lifting at an intermediate level.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Dying laughing over here. & thanks for the link
  • tameko2
    Options
    I lifted today. It was a bad day. I seem to be having a string of bad days and I really dont' know what to attribute it to. I'm eating an amount that I *really* think should be at least sufficient. I don't do ANY OTHER EXERCISE, seriously. Maybe a walk here and there.

If I have a bad day on Sat, I don't know what I want to do. Slight deload? Hold at the same weights?
  • mamamudbug
    Options
    Is it a true stall or a general weak/tired feeling? Are you lifting during your fast or after you break it?
  • tameko2
    Options
    Is it a true stall or a general weak/tired feeling? Are you lifting during your fast or after you break it?

Its not a true stall, its weak feeling. Like last time I did the overhead press at 65 (That was a new weight for me last time) I went 4-4-2-4-3, this time I did 3-4-2-2-2 . I did WORSE.

Ditto for deadlift. Last time I did 145x3, this time I couldn't get 145 off the ground and dropped to 135x5 (with a terrible last rep). Its not grip strength on the deadlift either. I just had no power in my body. Ditto for last week actually, I *should* have had no problem with 145 but it was a struggle to get my 3 and the 4th was just a no-go. couldnt' get off the ground.

Squats are fine but only because I deloaded. Even that feels harder than it should be
  • mamamudbug
    Options
    I'm stumped, usually days like that I need to eat more but your diary, especially your macros, looks ok to me. I'm sure a more seasoned lifter could tweak it a bit more for you. I'll stay on the look out for a possible cause, though. Keep us updated.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Are you getting sick? I think we all have bad days every now and then. See what happens Saturday.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

Oh yeah and in that vein, practical programming listed out like, the amount of weight you can reasonably expect a guy and girl to lift at various levels of training and it is QUITE relieving. I mean, it was for me. My husband was not relieved at all. :laugh:

Its all listed here.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

According to this list I am **** :ohwell: WAY over 200 lbs and can't lift ****. *sigh* Gonna go eat a protein shake.. a big chocolate one.

Been lifting for two months and I'm not even on the charts. Is there one for brain injury folks? Where did I put my GoogleFu.. hmmm

*stands in silhouette against a red sunrise- fist to the sky* I swayuh, from this day awn, I will nevah go weightless again! Or at least I will try to squat my body weight by Christmas! *shoves carrot into maw* blech.. carrots are gross. -_-
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Started today! First, I can already see that the equipment at my gym is not going to cut it once I get into the heavier weights. Right now I'm on a 35 pound bar and adding the free weights. I started at the SL5x5 recommended weights excluding barbell row since that's new for me so I dropped it to 55.

Problem: There's no rack for the bar in my gym and I'm doing this solo. When I finished my squats, bringing the bar back over head to starting position was a little awkward and I think with more weight would be a problem. When I did my bench press I can already picture myself asking for help when I hit 85 pounds and am stuck on the bench with a bar and no where to rack it! lmao! Ugh. I LOVE my gym, but think I may have to find a place where they have a heavy lifting section.

Does anyone do a front squat with bar in front? Just curious.

Haven't done my measurements, but starting at 139 pounds at 5'4'' with 25.4% body fat and 23.9 BMI. Half way to my goal, but my goal is changing as I'm getting more into lifting. Looking forward to seeing some progress this month!
  • Carolyn_79
    Carolyn_79 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Doreen I haven't done a front squat but I think it might be a good alternative for you if you stay at your current gym.

I completed workout 2 today. Stats are:

Squats-105 lbs
    Overhead Press-50lbs (think I'm going to do 50 next workout as well because I struggled)
    Deadlifts-95 lbs

I need to work on my upper body strength. I was disappointed by my overhead press.
  • Carolyn_79
    Options

Oh yeah and in that vein, practical programming listed out like, the amount of weight you can reasonably expect a guy and girl to lift at various levels of training and it is QUITE relieving. I mean, it was for me. My husband was not relieved at all. :laugh:

Its all listed here.

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

According to this list I am **** :ohwell: WAY over 200 lbs and can't lift ****. *sigh* Gonna go eat a protein shake.. a big chocolate one.

Been lifting for two months and I'm not even on the charts. Is there one for brain injury folks? Where did I put my GoogleFu.. hmmm

*stands in silhouette against a red sunrise- fist to the sky* I swayuh, from this day awn, I will nevah go weightless again! Or at least I will try to squat my body weight by Christmas! *shoves carrot into maw* blech.. carrots are gross. -_-

Forget the chart and just focus on improving. We all gotta start somewhere :smile:
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Gemi:

You're awesome! :laugh: I agree w/ Fuzzybunny. - who cares what the chart says.

Doreen, I had the same realization today about the need for a stand or rack. I am doing this at home -- tried to get out from under the bar after my squats today and it wasn't pretty!

Okay, I've done the complete program (A & B) once now. Here are my current weights:

Squats 50 (accidentally did this today without adding on the weight of the bar so I did 65 -- it was suuuper hard so I am going to follow the program and work back up to it . But nice to know it was at least possible, I suppose!)
    Bench press 45
    Overhead press 45 (not sure I'll be moving on from this weight for a long time!)
    Barbell row 50
    Deadlift 85

Looking forward to training with all of you!
  • Doreen_Murray
    Options
    The phone app is money! I find the 45 too low to start with for my squats, but I also just want to follow the program because I see how quickly it moves, so I think I'll leave it as is for now. I called my old trainer to see if I would need the rack and he said to do a power clean to overhead press to get the weight up for now, which I kind of did I guess, but getting the weight back over my head from the squat was awkward. Think I'll do the front squat so I don't hurt my neck. So happy you're all doing this and nice to see how some of you have increased your weights! Definitely something to work toward. Cheers, Doreen
  • Doreen_Murray
    Options
    Doreen, I had the same realization today about the need for a stand or rack. I am doing this at home -- tried to get out from under the bar after my squats today and it wasn't pretty!

I didn't look pretty either! :smokin:
  • tameko2
    Options
    Gemi - you are different lady. Bodyweight is a pretty good target for someone who wasn't walking 3 months ago. Especially when bodyweight is quite a lot! (Although the bodyweigh will come down as your squatting power goes up too). Then add 5 lb dumbells and squat that. then add 10 lb dumbells and squat that.

Doreen - A front squat is a different exercise so I actually think you'd be best served just switching to a gym with a power rack or MAYBE ask your gym if they will get a power rack? A power rack will save you on a lot of exercises - instead of having to run away if you cant' overhead press you'll just drop it on the bars, if you fail on the bench press you can just put it on the bars instead of doing the roll of shame, and it makes it a lot easier to load a bar for deadlifts (although not THAT much easier so whatever).

Basically the difference between a front and back squat is emphasis. Backsquats are more on the hamstrings and butt, front squats are more on the quads. Front squats put a lot more strain on your back and shoulders because you have to actually HOLD the weight up there as opposed to letting it just sit on your traps.

I should not be able to answer these questions. I am way too obsessed with this.

Lena and Fuzzy - don't stall your weights without failing first. when I did the overhead press I was like "holy crap, I'm never going to be able to add weight to this) but other than spending 3 weeks at 60 I haven't actually had to deload yet.

I was telling my husband last night that until you have completely spent yourself on the last rep, you probably wont' stall on the next weight. You MIGHT but you probably won't. And anyhow, stalls are part of the game. Just don't sell yourself short and think "oh this weight was hard, I should do it again" -- if you completed all 25 reps, the weight wasn't that hard and you don't need to do it again.

Push yourselves to the point of failure and then it feels good to fail, seriously. When you fail on the 4th rep you know you've lifted at the edge of your own personal limit (at least for that day).

I finally bit the bullet and ordered some fractional plates today - I didn't order the set though, just the 1.25 lb plates. I really hope I don't regret not buying the set but I think the 1.25 lb plates will be fine and the set would have been 60, the 1.25 lb plates are 18.50. I might swing by a sporting goods store just in case I find some but I doubt I will, fractional plates aren't the kind of thing that have a very high demand so i bet no one stocks them. Its the shipping that kills, its like 10 bucks just to ship anything. *eyeroll*
  • Doreen_Murray
    Options
    Thank you for the input! Powerlifting is addicting, so I'm definitely obsessed, especially getting form right. I need to work my booty so I'll talk to the manager about the power rack. It's such a small gym so I don't think there's room, but tons of gym options here so I'll go fishing tomorrow. I think it will help me in the long-term having one. Just loved my little gym! :heart:
  • Carolyn_79
    Options
    Tameko, I couldn't complete all my reps at 50 which is why I think I should stay at that weight one more week. My form was pretty bad too. In retrospect, I should have done just the bar this week rather than compromise form.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Going to do Workout B tonight for the first time. A little nervous about starting deadlifts at 95 lbs, but I think I can do it for 5 reps.

I am also going to have to do sitting OH presses. :ohwell: Not only is my ceiling low, my power rack is short and I'm tall. I hope I progress at least somewhat at the rate I should be. Now the question I have is (and I guess I should just go look this up) would I sit against the back of the bench for any sort of support or not?