April Progress

Options

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Tameko, I couldn't complete all my reps at 50 which is why I think I should stay at that weight one more week. My form was pretty bad too. In retrospect, I should have done just the bar this week rather than compromise form.

Oh then yeah, if you don't complete you must repeat. Gosh I'm clever. *ducks*

Jess - I would think not to- watch the rippetoe video on the overhead press on you tube -- if you sit against the back of the bench you'll lose your ROM I would think.

Also I have NO idea if this is kosher or not (so if you research it tell me) but my husband is slightyl too tall for the rack at the gym so he just spreads his feet a little wider and makes himself artificially shorter. Also if you're still wearing those running shoes, take them off, you'll lose at least an inch there I'd think.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Ah, ok. Yeah, looks like no support for the OH press.

I am still too tall for OH clearance in the power rack, even if I spread my legs. I would actually have more clearance if I stood outside the power rack and did it, but I think it will be safer if I sit. I'm not sure our landlord want holes in the ceiling... :smile:
  • tameko2
    Options
    Ah, ok. Yeah, looks like no support for the OH press.

I am still too tall for OH clearance in the power rack, even if I spread my legs. I would actually have more clearance if I stood outside the power rack and did it, but I think it will be safer if I sit. I'm not sure our landlord want holes in the ceiling... :smile:

wouldn't hurt to try it once outside the rack and see. if you go up slowly at the top you'll just tap the ceiling and then you'll know to stop.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I will confess now that I did regular barbell rows for a few weeks. Because I tried the pendlay's once and was like "WTF is this ****, this is WEIRD" -- but Ive switched now. and I had to deload to switch.

We're still messing around with them honestly. Just remember to pull EXPLOSIVELY up, and then put the weight all the way down. Its actually NOTHING like a barbell row.

I think of them as almost like kinda-sort half-deadlifts....sorta.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options

*stands in silhouette against a red sunrise- fist to the sky* I swayuh, from this day awn, I will nevah go weightless again! Or at least I will try to squat my body weight by Christmas! *shoves carrot into maw* blech.. carrots are gross. -_-

Sugah, you got me rollin' over here. Don't you know if you wait on charts and papers and "they's" and "them's" you won't get anywhere fast. My sister in law had a stroke at a couple of years ago when she was 32. I learned then for every person that tells you, you can, there's one that tells you, you can't. Do what you can and build from there... :wink:
  • mamamudbug
    Options
    I should not be able to answer these questions. I am way too obsessed with this.

Tameko, I've been getting a little obsessed, too. You've been a huge help to many of us. Thank you!
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Front position for squats just sounds dangerous to me. I made do with heavy kitchen chairs for a while but that does get kind of scary when the weights start getting heavy. (I put them on the back of the chairs). I was clean and jerkin too, I gets hard quickly! Switching gyms is probably your best bet.

I'm afraid I skipped tonight. I've gotten super depressed over having made so much progress so quickly and never getting to go anywhere to show it off and then letting myself add a layer of fat over my new muscle. And to top it off I had go drag my groggy self out of bed at 4:30 am and go across the street to the 7-11 to get bus change and fell and busted my knee. It still hurts pretty badly. I may try to lift tomorrow instead. *sigh*. I need new shoes too. I think since they've started to break down, my "toner" shoes are causing hip and knee pain.
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I called our crossfit gym in town, and they don't use a power rack. Hardcore! lmao...sheesh.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I called our crossfit gym in town, and they don't use a power rack. Hardcore! lmao...sheesh.

The biggest complaint about crossfit is that it's not safe...
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options

The biggest complaint about crossfit is that it's not safe...
    I know...lot of knee and back injuries. It's a good gym, but not what I'm looking for entirely.
  • Lena1967
    Lena1967 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Irridia: Ouch!!! sorry to hear that. Did you skin your knee or bruise it? Either way is no fun!

Sorry you've been feeling a bit depressed. I know the feeling! Lifting tomorrow sounds like a good plan. I will if you will! ;)
  • mamamudbug
    Options
    Quite a few years back, on another forum, there was a man that had shown pics of his gym dungeon. He used saw horses and things like that. I can't remember what he used for a rack, though. Maybe I'll do a search. :)
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Started April 1rst it was my first work out with the SL program

Squat 65 LBS
    Bench 45 LBS
    Barbell Row 45 LBS

April 4th
    Squat 75LBS
    OHP 55LBS
    Deads 65LBS

April 7th
    Squat 80LBS
    Bench 60LBS
    Barbell Row 50LBS

I did weightlifting in highschool 6 years ago but started pretty much from scratch at the begining of the month to see how I will progress. I cant remember the forms very well... Bench of course Ive got down and Squats Ive got down but I have to work on the others I couldnt believe I couldnt remember how to dead lift... Clean and Jerk was one of our competitive moves so I was less than pleased with myself to say the least! Are there any good you tube videos for the other moves?
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Do a youtube search for "Rippetoe"....OR maybe this link will get you to a long playlist of Mark Rippetoe instructional videos. Maybe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yha2XAc2qu8&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL7E2E2EABEE1E6821
  • dianacannon89
    dianacannon89 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    thanks hun I dk why I kept thinking it was riptide :blushing:
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Thoughts after my first time doing Workout B:

OH presses are super hard! Phew. I could only do 4/4/3/2/1 with just the bar. Yeesh.

Deadlifts at 95 lbs were too easy, and that makes me think I have some form work to do. I think I was using my arms to lift more than my glutes and legs.
  • tameko2
    Options
    Thoughts after my first time doing Workout B:

OH presses are super hard! Phew. I could only do 4/4/3/2/1 with just the bar. Yeesh.

Deadlifts at 95 lbs were too easy, and that makes me think I have some form work to do. I think I was using my arms to lift more than my glutes and legs.

did you end up sitting for them?

I don't understand how you COULD lift with your arms more, you're literally just holding the bar and pulling up with your body. Maybe your arms were just feeling a little tired from the Overhead press?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Some things that help me with deads.

Keep your bark arched (stick your boobs out).
    Make sure your *kitten* is low enough (bend your knees).
    The bar should practically scrap your shins as it comes up (wear socks or pants if it literally does).
    Focus on bringing your shoulders straight up first.
  • tameko2
    Options
    I ended up skipping today. 4 hours of moving my MIL's stuff was exhausting.
  • tameko2
    Options
    Some things that help me with deads.

Keep your bark arched (stick your boobs out).
    Make sure your *kitten* is low enough (bend your knees).
    The bar should practically scrap your shins as it comes up (wear socks or pants if it literally does).
    Focus on bringing your shoulders straight up first.

if you look at the wall it will help keep your back flat - otherwise natural tendency is to let the upper back curve (because of the weight pulling down on your shoulders.