When you started?

Options
karensoxfan
karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
Hi,

I'm planning to start Stage 1 on Monday, and I'm feeling a mix of excitement to try it, and nerves/anxiety that I'll make a complete *kitten* of myself or not be able to do a lot of the moves (ex: I 100% know I cannot do a full standard pushup right now. Even one, so I'll have to modify, but I have no idea how long it will take before I should expect to be able to do them though).

So I wonder if I'm the only weirdo over-analyzing this and second-guessing myself? Or were any of you nervous/anxious before you started too?

I'm especially curious about anyone who started out in the obese BMI category. Mine's 32 right now, and my body fat last month was 35.8%.

I'm also noticing that the Stage 1 & 2 threads have a LOT more traffic that the stage 5, 6, 7 threads. Do a lot of people start this plan and then not follow through?

Anyway, if you're using the plan now, is this your first time through or are you repeating it? What Stage are you in? And what benefits keep you sticking with it?

(Thanks in advance for indulging this newbie's curiosity). ;)

Replies

• deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Hello and YAY for starting the program! I finished it a month or so ago and I'm very, very happy with the results I got-tight buns, big guns, the start of my abs showing, 3 chin ups and feeling so much stronger! I didn't have any lifting past before the program and I was, just like you, a bit scared of the deadlift and squat and most of the moves because I had never done them before. Also, I wasn't venturing in to the free weight section of my gym and didn't know how the boys will take on a girl messing around. But once I started everything was fine.Then with every new stage and new exercises I was nervous again. I wasn't overweight when I started and while doing the program I gained weight and dropped it and again- up and down, but I did drop a bit of my BF. I started the program because I wanted to do a full chin up/pull up-I still can't do a pull up but I did 5 chin ups the other day, so that is great for me!
    Stick with the program and you will see nice changes to your body, self esteem and strength! Good luck with the program! Oh, and you will be doing proper push ups in no time! :)
  • karensoxfan
    Options

... I started the program because I wanted to do a full chin up/pull up-I still can't do a pull up but I did 5 chin ups the other day, so that is great for me! ...

Thanks deninevi. I'm so naive I don't even know the difference between a chin-up & pull-up. How are they different?
  • skbruewer
    skbruewer Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm just finishing stage 1. I'm doing the special AMRAP workouts today and Friday. I did A this morning, and I can tell you that I have progressed so much! I actually grabbed my starting weight for squats and was able to complete 50 of them before failure! I still can't do more than 3 full on manly pushups, so I do the incline ones and I was able to do 25 of them this morning, which is quite the improvement for me, since I thought I was going to die trying to do 15 the first time! My current body fat % is about 27%. You can do this. I've definitely noticed quite a few changes in my body. My favorite is that my arms aren't nearly as jiggly as they've always been. That is a huge thing for me, as that has never been firm! I'm really looking forward to stage 2!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    For the chin up you hold the bar with your palms facing you-underhand grip http://www.menshealth.com/workout-center/e/chinup/23816 , for the pull up you hold the bar with your palms facing away from you-overhand grip http://www.menshealth.com/workout-center/e/pullup/26048
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'm another who's about to start stage 2. I'll finish Stage 1 AMRAP B tonight or tomorrow.

Yes, I was a little nervous to start but it was easier to understand the program once I just started. I started my pushups inclined. But I've been doing pushups for a long time, I just was not able to do many though which is why I inclined. By the end, I was easily doing full pushups - most gains I've EVER made in the pushup department.

My bf% is over 30% but my BMI is around 25.

Benefit is that i feel GREAT. And I love lifting. I love seeing the muscles develop and my strength increasing. It was fun (and annoying and exhausting) doing the AMRAP workout because there's a huge improvement.

Give it a try - it's less scary than you think. I recommend looking at Rippetoe's videos if you're unsure of any moves.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I've got 4 workouts left to go in Stage 1 and I'm loving this program! I've lifted before, but never completed a program. This time, I feel truly committed to finishing this one. I'm surprised at how quickly I've progressed. I've also noticed some physical changes, i.e. my pants are a little loose around the waist and I feel much more energetic. I've only lost a pound, but I'm not stressing over the scale. I'm also very excited to start Stage 2!:happy:
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm planning to start Stage 1 on Monday, and I'm feeling a mix of excitement to try it, and nerves/anxiety that I'll make a complete *kitten* of myself or not be able to do a lot of the moves (ex: I 100% know I cannot do a full standard pushup right now. Even one, so I'll have to modify, but I have no idea how long it will take before I should expect to be able to do them though).

So I wonder if I'm the only weirdo over-analyzing this and second-guessing myself? Or were any of you nervous/anxious before you started too?

I'm especially curious about anyone who started out in the obese BMI category. Mine's 32 right now, and my body fat last month was 35.8%.

I'm also noticing that the Stage 1 & 2 threads have a LOT more traffic that the stage 5, 6, 7 threads. Do a lot of people start this plan and then not follow through?

Anyway, if you're using the plan now, is this your first time through or are you repeating it? What Stage are you in? And what benefits keep you sticking with it?

(Thanks in advance for indulging this newbie's curiosity). ;)

I was nervous and excited just like you. I hired a PT for two sessions before stage 1 to make sure I had good form. I just finished stage 2 tonight.

Before stage 1 my body fat % was at 33. Currently 29%. I have noticed more muscle definition all over, looks really good:wink: !

Push ups are the hardest for me and I hate them! I can only do 4 regular pushups but not anymore, working on it though!

Each stage I get a little nervous because of new exercises. I was always worried about what people are going to think.

Honestly, I really don't care what people are thinking anyomore lol.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    Thanks so much!

Today I'm definitely feeling more excited than nervous. :)
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    I started Stage 1 the beginning of February and my BMI at that point was 36.9. So, yes. I guess I started out in the obese category. I'm still there, at 35.1, but I'm making progress and my body composition is changing in a big way. It's not all visible yet, but there is some definite muscle development going on!!

I start Stage 3 next week... will be posting an "end of Stage 2" update this weekend. :)
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I couldn't do a full pushup when I started either and now toward the end of stage 1 I am doing 3 sets of 8 with only a little shakiness. I would probably try to just do them at home randomly, practice helps. Don't be scared, my strength is crazy compared to where I started and yours will be too.

Stop getting on your scale though because it's just making you focus on the wrong measurement of your success!

I think a lot of people just started so that's why there is so much traffic in the earlier stages, it takes 6 months so not a lot of us are there yet! But we will be!
  • mbts08
    Options
    Thanks so much!

Today I'm definitely feeling more excited than nervous. :)

Your welcome!

Don't worry, we all felt they way you do right now. Don't let anyone intimidate you :bigsmile:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    this is my second time doing the program. the first i did it was about 2 years ago. i started it and finished it the first time but didnt get anywhere near as much out of it as i am now. for one thing the last time i wasnt being as aggressive with the weights as i am now.

right now i'm taking a break between stage 1 and stage 2.

oh yeah i'm obese as well. i started it at about 37% body fat and now i'm at like 34%. still obese, but less fluffy .

the main benefits are strength strength strength. even the last time i did it i gained crazy strength where back then (i was also very overweight then) i was able to finish the program and do 1 unassisted pullup. as a fat girl i was plenty proud of that moment and by the time i did it , all the guys in the weight room i went to knew that was my main goal, so when i did it i got tons of congrats.

unfortunately i cant do a pullup anymore, but i'm hoping to be able to again by the end of stage 4.

oh yeah and dont worry about not being able to do a pushup. the first time i did i couldnt do one either (that was another one of my goals). i started against the wall and eventually was able to complete a set of full pushups on the floor by the end of stage 2. just give it time and keep challenging yourself
  • mbts08
    Options
    this is my second time doing the program. the first i did it was about 2 years ago. i started it and finished it the first time but didnt get anywhere near as much out of it as i am now. for one thing the last time i wasnt being as aggressive with the weights as i am now.

right now i'm taking a break between stage 1 and stage 2.

oh yeah i'm obese as well. i started it at about 37% body fat and now i'm at like 34%. still obese, but less fluffy .

the main benefits are strength strength strength. even the last time i did it i gained crazy strength where back then (i was also very overweight then) i was able to finish the program and do 1 unassisted pullup. as a fat girl i was plenty proud of that moment and by the time i did it , all the guys in the weight room i went to knew that was my main goal, so when i did it i got tons of congrats.

unfortunately i cant do a pullup anymore, but i'm hoping to be able to again by the end of stage 4.

oh yeah and dont worry about not being able to do a pushup. the first time i did i couldnt do one either (that was another one of my goals). i started against the wall and eventually was able to complete a set of full pushups on the floor by the end of stage 2. just give it time and keep challenging yourself

That's great! I still can't do a full set of pushups.:happy:
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    When I 1st started I wasn't nervous...this time. I had done stage 1 and 2 about 3 years ago and was a little intimidated of the free weights at my gym. I do remember getting over that pretty quickly and started to feel proud being on the other side of the gym with all the muscle dudes lol.

This time I am doing it at home so there was none of that, plus since I had done part of it I knew what I was getting myself into.