Stronglifts 5x5 Summary

Options

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I really really want to start lifting heavy but I feel so overwhelmed and intimidated! I was hoping to do it at home but it sounds like I'd have to go to a gym, and I hate the thought of that. The one I was going to was full of men who either snickered or leered at a woman who entered the weight room :ohwell:

next time a guy in the weight room does that to you, give him a good long look over, specifically eye his biceps and if you have the balls eye HIS balls and then shake your head and look away.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    So I think I got this wrong today - (first day) and I was a little confused by the 5x5 tracker app-

I did 2 x 45 warm up for Squats
    then started my squat set at 65 and added weights increments of 5 lbs for each rep, so:
    set 1 5 x 65
    set 2 5 x 70
    set 3 5 x 75
    set 4 5 x 80
    set 5 5 x 85

Did the same for the Bench and (oops, got it wrong) Deadlift.

So am I supposed to do 5x5 at the same weight?
  • tameko2
    Options
    So I think I got this wrong today - (first day) and I was a little confused by the 5x5 tracker app-

I did 2 x 45 warm up for Squats
    then started my squat set at 65 and added weights increments of 5 lbs for each rep, so:
    set 1 5 x 65
    set 2 5 x 70
    set 3 5 x 75
    set 4 5 x 80
    set 5 5 x 85

Did the same for the Bench and (oops, got it wrong) Deadlift.

So am I supposed to do 5x5 at the same weight?

Yep, 5x5 at the same weight, then 5 lbs per workout so squat 45 Mon, then 50 on Wed, then 55 on Friday. you're obviously abit more experienced (*stares at profile pic*) so you can start at 50% of your 5 rep max instead of 45.
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying this Tameko - I was really thrown for a loop when I started the app and it automatically added 5... but now I realize that it was just counting 5 compete reps in the set.

Yeah, I was going to do 50% for my deadlift, and although my squat is pretty strong, I started lower so that I could really concentrate on form.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of this! I started 5x5 a month ago and I was worried with my "translation" of his PDF. Glad to see I'm on the right track ands all the tips are great!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    ok, I can't find it. Rest between sets? is there a prescribed rest period? I just rest until I can do it again...
  • mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    ok, I can't find it. Rest between sets? is there a prescribed rest period? I just rest until I can do it again...

He says (I think) 90 seconds to three minutes, depending on how hard it was. If you fail, then rest 5 minutes before the next set. Bring a book, the day could get long :tongue:
  • tameko2
    Options

He says (I think) 90 seconds to three minutes, depending on how hard it was. If you fail, then rest 5 minutes before the next set. Bring a book, the day could get long :tongue:

I do awesome dances in between sets. It looks less stupid than the kid doing jumping jacks because mine involves more butt shaking. Also my workout times usually coincide with the times that the gym is playing the most awful pop music (and I *like* pop for working out) possible. The only way to bear it is to make up weird dances to go with it
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I do bring a magazine. Dancing isn't rest:tongue:
  • XFitMojoMom
    Options
    At lower weight I find the 90 seconds super long... I'm resting 45-60 seconds between sets. I know it'll change as the weight goes up.
    What I've read is 90 seconds if it's easy
    3 minutes if challenge
    5 minutes if you fail
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Looks really useful - thank you
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I do housework, dishes etc and have also added the hip opener excercises posted between warmup sets along with the shoulder dislocations. Oh, and on Bench day I do leg lifts between warm up sets, not working sets though, nothing more strenuous than picking up the house a little or dishes, or cooking.
  • kaydensmom12
    Options
    Thanks, great info. I am going to try it today:)
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this tameko!! first workout done!
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Beautiful! Wish I'd had this when I was starting out... that PDF really is atrocious. And your description of it made me quite literally laugh out loud. I get that most of his audience is male, but it does sort of irk me that he's not doing anything at all in his power to help change that up a little. And it really wouldn't be difficult - just stop the DUDE BRAH YEAHHHH!!!! crap.

Ah well. Tis why we've got this group. :)

Yeah, so much this.

I've been getting his emails and it's just as bad. The first email had the word "guys" in it no less (and possibly more) than 16 times, as in "the top ten things guys do wrong in the gym!!!"

Um, what's wrong with "people" instead of "guys"?

He has a couple of posts where he sort of says, "Yes, women can do this, too" and he knows he has women on his forums, and yet everything is men, men, men.

I know he says something like 93% (or whatever) of people using his program are men, but I highly doubt it. I bet it's more like 75% and he's just a sexist *kitten*.

Oh, well, if we can modify the program and make it work for us, so much win.

I've been using the iPhone app and today it asked me if I had any recommendations on how it could be improved, so I suggested that it could be made 'female' friendly, but I doubt that anything will change.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Beautiful! Wish I'd had this when I was starting out... that PDF really is atrocious. And your description of it made me quite literally laugh out loud. I get that most of his audience is male, but it does sort of irk me that he's not doing anything at all in his power to help change that up a little. And it really wouldn't be difficult - just stop the DUDE BRAH YEAHHHH!!!! crap.

Ah well. Tis why we've got this group. :)

Yeah, so much this.

I've been getting his emails and it's just as bad. The first email had the word "guys" in it no less (and possibly more) than 16 times, as in "the top ten things guys do wrong in the gym!!!"

Um, what's wrong with "people" instead of "guys"?

He has a couple of posts where he sort of says, "Yes, women can do this, too" and he knows he has women on his forums, and yet everything is men, men, men.

I know he says something like 93% (or whatever) of people using his program are men, but I highly doubt it. I bet it's more like 75% and he's just a sexist *kitten*.

Oh, well, if we can modify the program and make it work for us, so much win.

I've been using the iPhone app and today it asked me if I had any recommendations on how it could be improved, so I suggested that it could be made 'female' friendly, but I doubt that anything will change.

Tell them to make a droid app!!! ****er hates women and droids.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

^this
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options

^this
    in theory they have. Mehdi sent out an email announcing the iphone one and said there was an android on on the way, but I've yet to see it. I also haven't looked for about 2 months. :tongue:
  • RachVR6
    RachVR6 Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    Fabulous!
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    This is a great summary, thanks for putting it together!!