Stronglifts 5x5 Summary

Options

Replies

• Annmarie49
    Annmarie49 Posts: 84
    Options
    thank you for the easy to read/understand summary.... started this 2 wks ago and was unsure if i was following it right... found what i was looking for in the easy listed text & links.
    tyvm
  • unicorn1081
    unicorn1081 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I literally just finished reading the website for this program and found myself very interested but also weary of downloading it for some reason, call it women's intuision :drinker: . since MFP is where I heard of it and saw great result pics, I decided to do a search and here you all are! now I'm super motivated and gonna start this program tomorrow! Thank you so much for this thread!:love:
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I literally just finished reading the website for this program and found myself very interested but also weary of downloading it for some reason, call it women's intuision :drinker: . since MFP is where I heard of it and saw great result pics, I decided to do a search and here you all are! now I'm super motivated and gonna start this program tomorrow! Thank you so much for this thread!:love:
    Wooot! Welcome!
  • Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who have posted. I just posted a topic on another thread asking for any insite on this program and NROLFW because I cannot afford a gym membership or have one locally. I would love to try this at home but was unclear as to what equipment is needed. If I read the posts correctly all I need is: a standard 15lb. bar (incase I can't start with a 35lb. bar), a 35 lb. bar, 2-2.5 lb fractional plates, 2-1.25lb. fractional plates, standard weight plates (?? not sure total weights to purchase), a bar pad (or use foam pipe insulation), a power rack (or to save money 2 chairs), and a bench. I'm 5'6 and weigh 242. I just started MFP on 3/29/12. I'm looking at toning and becoming stronger during my weight loss journey. Please ADD ME AS A FRIEND!! I need all the beginning advice possible.
  • heidi5k
    heidi5k Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    bumpity-bump-bump-bump!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who have posted. I just posted a topic on another thread asking for any insite on this program and NROLFW because I cannot afford a gym membership or have one locally. I would love to try this at home but was unclear as to what equipment is needed. If I read the posts correctly all I need is: a standard 15lb. bar (incase I can't start with a 35lb. bar), a 35 lb. bar, 2-2.5 lb fractional plates, 2-1.25lb. fractional plates, standard weight plates (?? not sure total weights to purchase), a bar pad (or use foam pipe insulation), a power rack (or to save money 2 chairs), and a bench. I'm 5'6 and weigh 242. I just started MFP on 3/29/12. I'm looking at toning and becoming stronger during my weight loss journey. Please ADD ME AS A FRIEND!! I need all the beginning advice possible.

Can anyone confirm if this is right? I'd love to be able to start at home.
  • kristalael
    kristalael Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This is great, thank you so much for taking the time to break this down for all of us! I downloaded the PDF but when I saw that it was 211 pages I was ready to say forget it. Luckily I have a friend (RachVR6) who does this and she got me interested in trying it out!
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options

Being able to go to the gym would be safer and less expensive, but if you absolutely can't, I've heard a lot of people say they can find full weight sets on Craigslist for cheap. I know someone who got a squat rack and around 400 lbs of weight for $300 which is an AMAZING deal. Maybe you can try that out.

To be specific, the absolute essentials would be:
    - Power rack with safety pins/bars (those are especially important if you don't have a spotter because they will catch the weight if need be.)
    - Bench
    - 45 lb olympic bar (or a lighter one if necessary. ETA: a standard bar would be 15lb. Though most should be able to manage just the 45 lb bar)
    - Standard Weight set (300 will be sufficient for most women, and if you start with just the bar you won't get to 300 right away anyway.)
    - Fractional Plates: two 2.5lb and two 1.5lb. (I bought my fractionals for cheap on amazon because gyms don't always carry them)

Anything else is optional. Many people do like the bar pad. I notice that for me personally, using a low bar position during squats alleviates the need for the bar pad, I can squat more weight, and it feels more comfortable.

Hope that helps!
  • happygirl338
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Weaz66
    Weaz66 Posts: 1,846 Member
    Options

Being able to go to the gym would be safer and less expensive, but if you absolutely can't, I've heard a lot of people say they can find full weight sets on Craigslist for cheap. I know someone who got a squat rack and around 400 lbs of weight for $300 which is an AMAZING deal. Maybe you can try that out.

To be specific, the absolute essentials would be:
    - Power rack with safety pins/bars (those are especially important if you don't have a spotter because they will catch the weight if need be.)
    - Bench
    - 45 lb olympic bar (or a lighter one if necessary. ETA: a standard bar would be 15lb. Though most should be able to manage just the 45 lb bar)
    - Standard Weight set (300 will be sufficient for most women, and if you start with just the bar you won't get to 300 right away anyway.)
    - Fractional Plates: two 2.5lb and two 1.5lb. (I bought my fractionals for cheap on amazon because gyms don't always carry them)

Anything else is optional. Many people do like the bar pad. I notice that for me personally, using a low bar position during squats alleviates the need for the bar pad, I can squat more weight, and it feels more comfortable.

Hope that helps!

Thank you... it does help....I don't want to get started and not be able to finish something! Everyone on MFP is so helpful!
  • Cmonnowguys
    Options
    ETA: nevermind, comment deleted :D
  • shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to detail this for women!! This is great. :flowerforyou:
  • STR0NGisSEXY
    STR0NGisSEXY Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm at the tail end of Stage 2 of NROLFW and I'm jumping ship. I tried a 5x5 workout an hour ago and I LOVE it! Not at all complicated or convoluted, so more to my liking. :smile:
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    thinking of trying this...

thanks for the info
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Starting this on Tuesday, very excited :)
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    bump. THANK YOU!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Day 1 done.
    20kg squats and shoulder presses
    30 and 40 kg dead lifts (did a set with each to see whether I could manage 40). :D
  • fcbryant75
    fcbryant75 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump. Thanks!
  • Cmonnowguys
    Options
    Day 1 done.
    20kg squats and shoulder presses
    30 and 40 kg dead lifts (did a set with each to see whether I could manage 40). :D

Congrats!