PHASE 2, WORKOUTS 5 & 6 (start 4-16)

Options

Replies

• HayNakuKendi
    Options
    I agree the chops are annoying! Why both days? Oh well it's only two weeks and I guess if we ever really need to chop wood we will be ready.

Haha :)))
    I'm afraid I'll let go and the weight will go through the window. LOL I did Workout 5 for the 2nd time this week. It was a bit easier than the first time but it's still really difficult. I hate the crabs with a burning passion.

The one legged squat is really hard for me. I realized I was holding my breath the entire time. Once I concentrated on the breathing, it was a bit easier. Slow but sure...I think I'm finally get the form down!

Isn't anybody else absolutely drenched after these Workout 5 & 6? It's ridiculous how much I am "glistening" afterwards. :)
  • salgalruns
    salgalruns Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ok, on the weights I use 15, 10 and 8 lbs.....but when it comes to the superman with weights it's 5's. I tried heavier and I did not even get lift off. Room for improvement I guess. There is another move the lat/sit-up move that instead of using my heaviest weights I had to go a bit lighter. One month ago I could not even do one sit up..but now I can keep up and will work on increasing the weights.

Hannah - you're motivating me to bump up the weight levels. I've been using 3, 5, and 8, but perhaps I'll bump it up one notch - with the exception of the Superman one. Oh my goodness gracious. I feel like the weights are obviously made of Kryptonite and cannot seem to hold onto them and just "pulse." We'll see how I do in week 2 of Workout 6.

I actually like most of the new things from the week - chops are annoying, only because I'm not feeling like I'm getting a great workout (perhaps if I add more weight?), but I really see a difference in my strength and endurance. Those range of motion running man things in workout 6 as a cardio interval? I remember when I first saw them in Cardio 1, and could hardly do 15 seconds! Now, I love them (and boy do I glisten)!

Tomorrow finishes the first week of phase two...cardio 2 for me. Then going for a hike in the afternoon. Good thing Sunday is a rest day! :)
  • HannahPTA
    HannahPTA Posts: 39
    Options
    I am defiately glistening and breathing loud...I keep thinking of how awful it must be for the people on the DVD to workout being all oiled up. I too am amazed at how high the last burpy demo guy can jump. Amazing...I keep trying but am not getting that much lift off. My kids do comment on how much the floor is shaking though. Hmm..I do not like that but better the floor than me! I to was holding my breath on the one leg squats but I am trying to breathe and not look at the tv because it throws me off. I muted the tv on the Cardio disc this last time and added my own music and it pushed me to work harder and faster trying to keep up with the beat. Enjoy your rest day everyone! After completeing disc 2 and then hiking 135 min. for 6 miles going up 1780 feet I am sore, tired and ready for recovery. Last year, I never made it to the view point..but this year I was pushed on by Jillians words in my mind, "You are stronger than you know!" and I made it...just barely..but I did it!
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I am defiately glistening and breathing loud...I keep thinking of how awful it must be for the people on the DVD to workout being all oiled up. I too am amazed at how high the last burpy demo guy can jump. Amazing...I keep trying but am not getting that much lift off. My kids do comment on how much the floor is shaking though. Hmm..I do not like that but better the floor than me! I to was holding my breath on the one leg squats but I am trying to breathe and not look at the tv because it throws me off. I muted the tv on the Cardio disc this last time and added my own music and it pushed me to work harder and faster trying to keep up with the beat. Enjoy your rest day everyone! After completeing disc 2 and then hiking 135 min. for 6 miles going up 1780 feet I am sore, tired and ready for recovery. Last year, I never made it to the view point..but this year I was pushed on by Jillians words in my mind, "You are stronger than you know!" and I made it...just barely..but I did it!

Hannah~ you rock, girl, you FREAKIN' ROCK!!!!:smokin: :explode: :heart:
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I started week 5 today with workout 5. My feelings on the workout are mixed. Overall, it almost seemed easier than 3 and 4...anyone else think so? I also made a few mistakes that I'll adjust when I do the workout again later this week. I used my own tubing and the tubing exercises were hard (my tube had a lot less slack than the program one - that one is still in the box). I also used a too heavy weight for the wood choppers; I used a 10 lb weight. I felt like the weight was moving me, versus me controlling the weight; I'll try with either a 5 or an 8 lb weight. I also had some balance issues with the one legged squat, though it wasn't too hard to do for me. I hope workout 6 is harder.
  • kelmax
    kelmax Posts: 55
    Options
    Week 5, workout 5 for me tonight. I really need to purchase a HRM and see how much I am burning!!
  • formerpyt
    formerpyt Posts: 56
    Options
    Mountain Climbers Kill my feet! I was able to plug through everything else, but the soles of my feet were cramped and burning after those - I could hardly walk. Has anyone else ever experienced that? I'll add that I have very wide, flat feet and wear Brooks Dyad because they've been my preferred running shoe for several years.
  • cookieta76
    cookieta76 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Second week of workout 5 and I can really tell that my endurance is up and my strength is better. Crabs are getting easier and I was able to tolerate the resistance bands part - they were tough for me last week. Still need to get some heavier weights.....maybe I'll hit up my husband for a nice, full set for mom's day! :wink:
  • gerbies
    Options
    Just completed workout 6 for the first time. I like it better than workout 5, but I still feel like I'm not getting my heart rate up enough throughout. I definitely had my challenges (perhaps that's why I'm not getting as good of a workout?). With the cross over lunge with bicep curl, my range of motion is not the same as on the other people...there's NO way I'm getting my knee one inch off the ground. I'm lucky my knees are bent...lol. With supermans...well, the weights didn't happen. I tried 5s...didn't happen. Tried one 5 and got liftoff, but not the range of motion I should have had. The wood choppers were better than in workout 5, because I lowered my weight to 8 lbs. I still have a tough time with range of motion with the moving lunges. I think at my weight, it's pretty tough to get so close to the ground. It's all progress, not perfection, I suppose. Maybe I'll get a better workout with 5 and 6 when I have the moves down better?
  • gerbies
    Options
    Today is week 5, day 3...first time doing Cardio 2. And...I LOVED IT!!! There wasn't one exercise I didn't like and I loved the sequence. There were just the right amount of exercises to catch your breath (knee crunches, skaters, jumping jacks, hook punches) in between higher intensity exercises. I cannot wait to do it again~! I was getting so frustrated with my Polar HRM...with all of the high impact, it would lose my heartrate (sometimes showing zero for an interval...or only like 60, which couldn't be the case). At the end, it said I burned 360, but I know it was much more, based on the many times it was off.

I am SO excited I get to do this workout for a month...did I say that I LOVED it?? :love: :love: :love:
  • rosied915
    Options
    Today is week 5, day 3...first time doing Cardio 2. And...I LOVED IT!!! There wasn't one exercise I didn't like and I loved the sequence. There were just the right amount of exercises to catch your breath (knee crunches, skaters, jumping jacks, hook punches) in between higher intensity exercises. I cannot wait to do it again~! I was getting so frustrated with my Polar HRM...with all of the high impact, it would lose my heartrate (sometimes showing zero for an interval...or only like 60, which couldn't be the case). At the end, it said I burned 360, but I know it was much more, based on the many times it was off.

I am SO excited I get to do this workout for a month...did I say that I LOVED it?? :love: :love: :love:

Wow, my Polar FT7 does the same freakin' thing~ SO annoying!!!

I position the chest band at my "bra band" and try to make sure it doesn't get twisted or move but sometimes if the "girls" move a little too much the sensor will move too and I get 00~ GRRRR!!!

Another thing that I think happens at the gym is that it picks up other people's HRMs and I'll get a heart rate of over 200 or even 300 which I think is a combination of theirs and my heart rates!!

Overall though, I LOVE my HRM and I'm so glad I got one!

And Gerbie~ you ROCK girl~ your enthusiasm is contagious and I'm so glad you're here with me!!
  • gerbies
    Options

Wow, my Polar FT7 does the same freakin' thing~ SO annoying!!!

I position the chest band at my "bra band" and try to make sure it doesn't get twisted or move but sometimes if the "girls" move a little too much the sensor will move too and I get 00~ GRRRR!!!

Another thing that I think happens at the gym is that it picks up other people's HRMs and I'll get a heart rate of over 200 or even 300 which I think is a combination of theirs and my heart rates!!

Overall though, I LOVE my HRM and I'm so glad I got one!

And Gerbie~ you ROCK girl~ your enthusiasm is contagious and I'm so glad you're here with me!!

Aw, shucks...thanks :blushing:

I know...I love my polar HRM, but if I do high-intensity with jumping, it moves and it makes me crazy!
  • cookieta76
    Options

Love your excitement, too! I felt this way after doing workout 6 and Cardio 2 as well. Talk about an endorphin high! Speaking of endorphins, I think it's funny that in workout 5, Jillian says something about "loving those endorphins" at the end, then in Cardio 2, she makes fun of people for always talking about endorphin highs! Haha.

I'm on my second week of 5&6 and just did 6 last night. RIgh now my butt is feeling it - all those squats: one-legged, storks, statue of liberty (whatever she calls them!), rock stars (which I love!). And call me crazy, but I LOVE reverse planks. Anyone else?

Looking forward to Cardio 2 tonight - she really did put together a good one!

Tanya
  • cookieta76
    Options
    .....and my HRM does the same thing. I'll look down at a blank screen every one in a while. Then I'll adjust my chest strap and it usually comes back up. It's annoying!
  • gerbies
    Options

And call me crazy, but I LOVE reverse planks. Anyone else?

I love them, too. It's part strength training and part stretch. I loved it!
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm going to start week 5 on Monday - and already can't wait- especially reading so many of you loving workout 5 !!:glasses: :glasses:
  • kelmax
    kelmax Posts: 55
    Options
    Workout 6 was a killer for me last night...I was a roasted pig by the time I finished. There wasn't a place on me that wasn't sweating. After reading todays posts I am excited to do cardio 2 tonight. Gerbies...thanks for the encouragement and enthusiasm!!!!

BTW...this is the 1st time since starting BR that I am sore! Wahoo!!
  • Jmfo1
    Jmfo1 Posts: 5
    Options
    On week 2 of phase 2. Yeah....definitely have a love/hate relationships with the crabs. They KILL but my arms are looking better. I am finding that I have to be very, very careful with leg/knee placement. I feel like it would be very easy to twist a knee with some of these exercises.
  • rosied915
    Options
    HOLY CRAP~ I just burned 183 cals on Workout 5!!!

Are you kidding me??
  • rosied915
    Options

And call me crazy, but I LOVE reverse planks. Anyone else?

I love them, too. It's part strength training and part stretch. I loved it!

Alright girlfriend, don't make me smack you!!