Started today!

Options
karensoxfan
karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
I put this in my blog, but I thought I'd share it here too, and ask for feedback/tips.

I did better than I thought with some of the moves, but far worse with others. Here's the run-down:

Squats. I did the warmup set of 8 with just my body weight, which was OK, but not very strenuous. I did the 2 sets of 15 with just the 45 lb. bar in the squat rack, which felt better. I'm not sure if I'll try adding weight to the bar next time (Saturday) or the time after that (next Wednesday).

Pushups. God, I hate them. Knowing I can't do them on the floor, I tried for an incline, and don't know what angle I used, but it was probably about 45 degrees, and they were still REALLY hard. It was especially hard to keep my elbows close to my ribcage instead of letting them go out to the side. But I got through all the sets. do you think I should try an even easier incline???

Seated Row. I did better than I thought on this one. I did 25 lb. for the warmup set, then 40 for my first set, and 55 for the 2nd. I'll probably do 55 lb. for all the sets on Saturday, then see if I can move up after that. I'm not sure it's the right machine though, because there were 3 different ones in my gym, and they ALL had a chest pad, where the picture in the book doesn't. I'm bringing DH with me on Saturday though in case the gym staff was just steering me in the wrong direction. He had actually pointed me to the rowing machines first (with the wheel), and I had to insist that I wanted the one where you pull weight instead. Do any of you use the seated row with a chest cushion? Do I need to find one without it?

Step-Ups. I did better than I expected on these too. I used 12.5 lb. in each hand for the warm-up set, then started with 15 for the 2 sets, but realized it was too light, and ended up using 20 lb. in each hand. I used an aerobic step with 2 risers, and I'll probably add a 3rd riser Saturday too, and maybe try 22.5 lb. in each hand. What do you all step onto? I think if 3 risers is still too "easy" - should I try using the weight bench instead?

Prone Jackknife. These killed me. I found it awkward getting into position, and then VERY difficult through my whole core, and ended up nearly falling off after 12 on the first set, and 11 on the 2nd. So these need some work for sure. I'm also not sure I was doing them right. In the book, they show that your butt is slightly elevated and your head points down when your knees are bent/tucked, but in all the you-tube videos I see, your back stays parallel with the floor while your knees are bent. The only ones I see on youtube with your butt elevated are the pike ones where the legs stay much straighter, so I'm a little confused on this one too. Do you keep your back flat for these, or does your butt lift into the air?

Anyway, that was it. It was a much harder (more intense) workout than I expected, but I'm not sore yet. I had a protein shake afterwards, but now I'm much less anxious about trying Workout B on Wednesday morning. I'd planned on doing workout A again on Friday, but my husband will be out of town & I can't leave the kids, so I'll prob. do it Saturday morning instead.

Stay tuned...

Replies

• ACEgirl1
    ACEgirl1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm heading out to do my first workout in a couple hours. I'm sorry I don't have any tips or hints, but I just found your post interesting since I'm sure I will be having issues and questions of my own! I am completely new to working out, so this should be fun! :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Squats: What I do to know if I am ready to add weight, I do my last serie with more weight.

Pushups. I have the same feeling for push ups. In fact I still strugle with those. I put my hands farter out then my shoulders and it makes things easier. I also take a pause at the top of the movement. That way I can do more.

Seated Row. I did it with both machine and I found the one with a cushion was great if I didn't push my chest on it but just use it to make sure I didn't swing with my back (rocking motion)

Step-Ups. I used the bench to step. Also If you find that your hands can't hold more weight but your legs could do more, use a barbell on your shoulders instead.

Prone Jackknife. When I put my butt into the air, they are harder and more intense.

The worst of DOMS are at 36-48 hours after the workout so before your next workout, you can take Aleave or Tylenol one hour before your workout if you need it.

Good luck
  • annamerrick
    annamerrick Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started today as well. I definitely went too light for the first time, so I look forward to adding weight next time. Its hard to change my mindset and push myself to go heavier, for fear of not completing the set. I suppose that will change with time....!

On the jackknifes, I checked the book and confirmed that you're only supposed to do 2 sets of 8 reps for the first 2 workouts. I'm pretty sure I would have a hard time trying to do 15 to start!
  • TheReese1206
    Options
    I started today as well :). I loved everything. I will definitely be adding more weight to the Squats and Step UPS next time. I can not wait till Wed for my next workout.
  • meeulk
    meeulk Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    bump! interested in responses.
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I'm starting tonight - I am SUPER excited. I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants to use heavier weights....I got this impression from the book that it's best to start out light, well, I want to start out heavy! I plan on doing the seated rows with barbells (cause the cable machine makes me nervous cause it looks complicated).
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I'm starting tonight - I am SUPER excited. I'm glad I'm not the only one who wants to use heavier weights....I got this impression from the book that it's best to start out light, well, I want to start out heavy! I plan on doing the seated rows with barbells (cause the cable machine makes me nervous cause it looks complicated).

The cable machine is not complicated at all. Very easy, ask employee if you need too or watch someone else using it.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,937 Member
    Options
    I like that you're a blogger....good for you!!

Here's my feedback (I am in Stage 4 right now):

Squats. If you are confident that your form is proper (i.e. your knees aren't bending in or out, but are pointing the same direction as your 2nd toe and you are getting your bum at parallel (or slightly below) - then I think you should increase your weight.

Pushups - hmmmmm, these are my nemesis and I probably shouldn't give advice, but I'm going to. Do the incline where you just *might* not make the last 2 reps. And, do them FAST. (I *just* clued into this!) The FASTER you go, the MORE power you are using - and your fast-twitch muscles will kick in (and grow!) For the longest time, I was doing these darn things S-L-O-W-L-Y and, while I was certainly working all my slow-twitch muscles, it was taking me a LONG time to move to smaller and smaller inclines. PS - I'm in Stage 4 and I am *still* not "on the floor" with my push-ups, so please take my advice with a grain of salt!)

Seated Row. I don't know what the "chest" cushion is - the seated row I use is a pulley machine and there's air between my chest and everything else! Make sure your shoulders are down!!

Step-Ups. I think you need to use a bench that is 18" off the ground. If you can do 18" bench with 20 lb DB's - you are an awesome beginner, for sure - and this program's gonna be a breeze!! Meaning: it's more important to get your leg at a right angle when you are doing your step-ups (and FIRE your glutes!) then it is to lift heavier and heavier DB's on a lower bench.

Prone Jackknife. Do you keep your back flat for these, or does your butt lift into the air? You are keeping your back "straight", but not "flat" - because you are going to end up in a hand-stand position, basically (so your back is actually vertical, not flat). And, your butt will be all the way in the air (if you are in pike position) and sort-of in the air (if you are doing knees-to-chest). I find the jackknifes difficult....but I'm getting better at 'em!

Awesome job, I'd say!!
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I just started today as well and my quads are sore!

Squats-I just did the bar to get the hang of things. They felt pretty good.
    Pushups were fine, may try them with a leg up next time.-thanks for the "do them fast" tip, Beeps2011!
    Rows-went light at first and upped them to 70 lbs which was perfect!
    Step ups-started with 15 lb. dumbbells for the first set, 22.5 for the 2nd set. Could go higher next time.
    Prone Jackknifes-these things killed me. I have the worst balance even off of a ball. Plus, I screwed up and did both sets of step ups in a row and the jackknifes in a row. I also did 15 in each set. Must have misread....

So far, so good!
  • firstnamekaren
    firstnamekaren Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I started my squats off at 10lbs for my "warmup" set. Then bumped it up to 20lbs each hand, which was rough! But I did em!
    Seated rows - I used the barbells (although I will try the cable machine next time!) and started off at 12, bumped up to 15. Can def. go higher next time.
    Pushups! Arg! I could NOT find a legitimate place at my gym to pull them off - I ended up pushing off the child care half-wall thing, so it was 45 degrees-ish. It took some time, but I got to 15. Feeling a little discouraged, I tried full-on pushups on the floor - made it to 15, but I KNOW they weren't proper form. So that's what I'll be focusing on next.
    The step ups - started at 12 lbs each hand, then bumped up to 15. Could def. go higher next time.
    Bosu ball jackknifes - bummed cause my gym changed their hours and I only got off one set of 8! And I liked those! Man they are HARD!

It's funny, I left the gym, feeling ok, but man now I am really feeling worked. I hope I wake up sore tomorrow, love that feeling!

Oh and I really did take a workout log and asked for a clipboard and pen at the front desk. :D
  • Upanddown
    Upanddown Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So I just finished reading the book and I was originally hoping to start today but looks like I'll be pushing it back 2 weeks and starting the first week of May.
    I workout from home and unfortunately my gym area is in too much disarray and needs to be cleand out and organized before I can commit.
    But in the meantime I'm trying to understand the log sheets and forms.

My question is................

I understand that the first day is Workout A....then one day off............and then Workout B and one day off.......and then back to Workout A.....etc......
    I also understand that Stage 1 consists of 5 different exercises....correct?
    Five exercises in Workout A and 5 in Workout B.
    The part thats confusing me is that under exercise A......it says Squats.
    Actually.....I'm going to type it out the way its written in the book on Page 140

Exercise
    A - Squat
    Workout 1,2
    Workout 3.4
    Workout 5,6
    Workout 7,8

So......Workout 1,2.......does that mean my first and second workouts?? Are there only 2 sets of squats??? And I do the same amount of reps for both sets?? 15
    And then I go to Workout B
    And then when I'm on my 3rd workout I go back to Workout A and do the same workout as I did the first day? So thats 2?

Am I making any sense???

Its just that I thought I read that we'll be doing sets of 15....and then 12's.....and then 10's and then 8's.
    But this is just 2 sets of 15's??? For the entire 6 weeks???

If anyone can offer any clarification it would be greatly appreciated!!!!!! Thanks guys!!!! =)

It's the Workout 1,2
    Workout 3,4
    Workout 5,6
    and Workout 7,8........that are confusing me. Are these different days??
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    hey upanddown, i also sent you a message too..

but yep you have it correct. the first workouts are mainly about you figuring out the starting weights and the first 2 workouts will seem short , but dont worry about it the time will increase a bit once you get towards the end when you're adding more weight
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    Workout A1 for me was this: (A2 will be the same):

Squats x15
    Squats x 15
    Pushups x15
    Seated Row x15
    Pushups x15
    Seated Row x15
    Step-Ups x15
    Prone Jackknife x15
    Step-Ups x15
    Prone Jackknife x15

Workouts A3 & A4 will be the same, but with only 12 reps on each move. Then A5 & A6 will be 3 sets of 10 reps for each move, and A7 & A8 will be 3 sets of 8 reps for each move, with 60 seconds rest between every set.

Workouts B1 & B2 will look like this:

Deadlift x15
    Deadlift x15
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press x15
    Wide-grip lat pull-down x15
    Dumbbell Shoulder Press x15
    Wide-grip lat pull-down x15
    Lunge x15
    Swiss ball crunch x15
    Lunge x15
    Swiss ball crunch x15

Then Workouts B3 & B4 are the same with 12 reps each move, then B5 & B6 will have 3 sets of 10 reps for each move, and B7 & B8 will have 3 sets of 8 reps for each move.
  • annamerrick
    Options
    firstnamekare:

I don't know if your gym has this, but I did my pushups on a Smith machine--the one that is for squats, but the bar is attached to rails on each side and the bar slides up and down. I set the bar to about hip level, so it was probably about a 45 degree angle. I can move the bar down 3 more times to make it increasingly harder until I am strong enough to do them on the ground....which will hopefully happen soon!
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    Damn it! I just realized that I was NOT using a true squat rack, I used a Smith machine for my squats yesterday.

Right this minute, I'm feeling more than a little dim in the brains department, and more than competent in my idiot department. Ugh! I know I've only done 1 NROL4W workout, but this lesson is making me seriously second-guess my decision to start this plan. :(

Googling images, I don't think my gym has a true free-weight squat rack, so I guess I'll be doing squats with dumbbells too.
  • mstawnya
    mstawnya Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Did Stage 1 Workout B today and realized that I keep forgetting to alternate the exercises. After doing the lunges (15 on each leg), taking a minute rest, and doing 15 more on each leg, I almost fell over. Duh! So then I just had to do 2 sets of Swiss ball crunches because there was nothing else to alternate. Now I get why I have to alternate. :) Still sore from Monday's workout, but I really am enjoying it! How did everyone's second day go?
  • karensoxfan
    Options

Googling images, I don't think my gym has a true free-weight squat rack, so I guess I'll be doing squats with dumbbells too.

D'oh! Found it this morning. And of course it's right next to the Smith machines. Double D'oh!

Did Stage 1 Workout B today and realized that I keep forgetting to alternate the exercises. After doing the lunges (15 on each leg), taking a minute rest, and doing 15 more on each leg, I almost fell over. Duh! So then I just had to do 2 sets of Swiss ball crunches because there was nothing else to alternate. Now I get why I have to alternate. :) Still sore from Monday's workout, but I really am enjoying it! How did everyone's second day go?

Other than those lunges, and being a little self-conscious about deadlifts (esp. with no weight on the bar), I liked Workout B this morning a lot better than Workout A. I alternated the lunges with the Swiss ball crunches, but here's a lunge question I'm not 100% clear on:

When the book says to do 15 reps on each leg in each set before switching to the ball for crunches, do you do 15 on one side, then 15 on the other? Or, do you alternate, and do 15 reps of one pair of lunges (one leading R and one leading L)?

I did the alternating legs for both sets, so I still ended up doing 15 on the left and 15 on the right for each set, but does it matter?
  • lunchgirlie
    lunchgirlie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I started on Monday too, and my gym only has a Smith machine. I did my squats with 30 lb dumbbells in each hand, but I didn't really get sore or anything. My legs have always been pretty strong, but my upper body really weak, so I don't know if I could handle carrying heavier weights than that. Should I just use the Smith machine? Also, they don't have olympic bars at all (Planet fitness kind of sucks but is all I could afford) and the fixed bars only go up to 60 lbs. Can I use a Smith machine for deadlifts? Other than those two things, I think I'm doing pretty well! Although, I did try to do 15 reps for the prone jackknife. That didn't go very well, but I think I did the first eight pretty well on each set, so I guess I'm in okay shape!
  • karensoxfan
    Options
    I started on Monday too, and my gym only has a Smith machine. I did my squats with 30 lb dumbbells in each hand, but I didn't really get sore or anything. My legs have always been pretty strong, but my upper body really weak, so I don't know if I could handle carrying heavier weights than that. Should I just use the Smith machine? Also, they don't have olympic bars at all (Planet fitness kind of sucks but is all I could afford) and the fixed bars only go up to 60 lbs. Can I use a Smith machine for deadlifts? Other than those two things, I think I'm doing pretty well! Although, I did try to do 15 reps for the prone jackknife. That didn't go very well, but I think I did the first eight pretty well on each set, so I guess I'm in okay shape!

Everything I found about the Smith machine online says to run the other way and don't use it for squats because the straight line is not the natural movement, and by balancing the bar for you, you're not able to work the tiny little muscles you would use to balance it on a free bar. I checked the book index last night, and "smith machine" isn't there, but I think the dumbbell modification *is* to do squats holding the dumbbells up by your shoulders (not down like you would for lunges). I can't tell from what you wrote if you were holding them up or down.
  • annamerrick
    Options
    [/quote]

When the book says to do 15 reps on each leg in each set before switching to the ball for crunches, do you do 15 on one side, then 15 on the other? Or, do you alternate, and do 15 reps of one pair of lunges (one leading R and one leading L)?

I did the alternating legs for both sets, so I still ended up doing 15 on the left and 15 on the right for each set, but does it matter?
    [/quote]

I re-read page 173 on lunges today, as I am going to do Workout B today for the first time, and it does say to alternate legs.

On another note...I planned to go to the gym for my workout this morning, but I have a sick 11 month old! So no gym childcare for him for about a week (its hand, foot and mouth....my 2 year old had it 2 months ago and finally the little one got it....ugh!) Now I have to wait until the hubbie gets home from work to go do my lifting for the next couple workouts. Boo! I like going in the late morning because there is hardly anyone in the weight area.