Leashes for Kids

Options
Krizzle4Rizzle
Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
What do you think of something like this?

Baby-Leash.jpg

Cruel and inhumane

or

Smart parenting?

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I have always found it utterly degrading to the child. I never used them on my kids. I was always afraid that they would develop some mental complex because of it.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's cruel or inhumane. I think they're kind of lame, but I also can think of a few kids that need one.

A parent must keep control of their children as much as possible. If they need a leash so be it. I'll take that over kids screaming and running all over the place.
  • luvJOJO
    luvJOJO Posts: 1,881 Member
    Options
    I am a single mom and I used something like that for my son when he was two or three and we were rushing through the busy airports during the holidays. That is the only time I ever used it I have never had so many dirty looks in my life. I just didn't want to lose my kid in the madness with my hands full of luggage and tickets, etc. But dayuuuum, you would have thought I was dragging him by his feet with the looks I got.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I could see using them for places like airports or places that are high traffic and busy, and you aren't able to put them in a stroller. (State fairs, sporting events, etc). I can't imagine doing it just to go to the market or out to eat.

I don't care for them personally, but I can see the advantage in some situations.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I hate leashes on kids.

Learn to control your children.
  • saraemily5
    saraemily5 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Which would people prefer: Their kids on a leash with the possibility of being 'degraded' or having a 'mental complex' or their kid to be kidnapped or lost or smooshed by a car?? I think 'degraded' or a complex is much better! I am an in home child care providor and also have 2 kids of my own. I have seen how different kids are. Some kids are just runners. No matter how much you teach them or train them, it's in their nature to run and laugh as you're chasing them. that is DANGEROUS in some situations. Especially in busy places like the air port or zoo or theme park. Some kids are too old and big to be strapped into strollers, but they still need to be confined because they might run off. I've see kids darting across parking lots of grocery stores while the mom is trying to carry another child and push the cart to the car. - they don't have the third arm required to catch the running child. Perfect place to use the 'leash'. And if I were to get any bad looks for using a leash on my child I would tell that person to BE MY GUEST and try to do it better and still keep the child safe. Safety is key!! when your child is attatched to you, no one will be grabbing them and they won't be running off or running in front of cars. I used a leash when I took my young children to the barn where we kept our horses... that way they could still explore a little, but I didn't have to worry about them getting under the foot of a horse! My goodness - people are much too judgemental. Safety people safety!!
  • saraemily5
    Options
    I hate leashes on kids.

Some children are more independant than others. That's just the way it is. If you don't like leashes fine - dont' use them on your children. Don't judge other motehrs for wanting to keep their children safe!
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    alrighty...

i have three little kids. two of them a year apart. i get the whole wanting to keep track of them thing, but really? a fu@king LEASH? try better parenting skills.

at least that was what my opinion WAS ... and then i saw something at a grocery store..

mom was standing at checkout, toddler was on a leash. he looked so sad just standing there. i of course thought all kinds of bad things about the woman
    and then
    the kid breaks out in a full on SPRINT
    for like 4 steps until the leash kicked in
    and it pulled his *kitten* DOWN
    a minute or so later, he did it again.

so yeah, MAYBE some parents need it.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Which would people prefer: Their kids on a leash with the possibility of being 'degraded' or having a 'mental complex' or their kid to be kidnapped or lost or smooshed by a car?? I think 'degraded' or a complex is much better! I am an in home child care providor and also have 2 kids of my own. I have seen how different kids are. Some kids are just runners. No matter how much you teach them or train them, it's in their nature to run and laugh as you're chasing them. that is DANGEROUS in some situations. Especially in busy places like the air port or zoo or theme park. Some kids are too old and big to be strapped into strollers, but they still need to be confined because they might run off. I've see kids darting across parking lots of grocery stores while the mom is trying to carry another child and push the cart to the car. - they don't have the third arm required to catch the running child. Perfect place to use the 'leash'. And if I were to get any bad looks for using a leash on my child I would tell that person to BE MY GUEST and try to do it better and still keep the child safe. Safety is key!! when your child is attatched to you, no one will be grabbing them and they won't be running off or running in front of cars. I used a leash when I took my young children to the barn where we kept our horses... that way they could still explore a little, but I didn't have to worry about them getting under the foot of a horse! My goodness - people are much too judgemental. Safety people safety!!

First off, wasn't looking down anyone for their choices... just sharing my own! Secondly, never had a problem keeping track of my kids at any busy public place so therefore, it wasn't needed in the first place. Thirdly, mental well-being is extremely important for the life long health of a child so please, don't dismiss me because you think I passed judgement!
  • saraemily5
    Options
    alrighty...

i have three little kids. two of them a year apart. i get the whole wanting to keep track of them thing, but really? a fu@king LEASH? try better parenting skills.

at least that was what my opinion WAS ... and then i saw something at a grocery store..

mom was standing at checkout, toddler was on a leash. he looked so sad just standing there. i of course thought all kinds of bad things about the woman
    and then
    the kid breaks out in a full on SPRINT
    for like 4 steps until the leash kicked in
    and it pulled his *kitten* DOWN
    a minute or so later, he did it again.

so yeah, MAYBE some parents need it.

My point exactly. Some kids just need it - no matter how great the parents are!! Grrr... I hate when people are jugmental of other's parenting techniques!!
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I ONLY used the "leash" at super crowded places like the zoo or the airport.... dont really care what anyone thought at least i knew she was safe at all times.

most people that think its inhuman probably dont have kids...cause theres TONS of opinions that change when you become a parent.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I hate leashes on kids.

Some children are more independant than others. That's just the way it is. If you don't like leashes fine - dont' use them on your children. Don't judge other motehrs for wanting to keep their children safe!

That was a judgmental post... mine was not!
  • saraemily5
    Options

First off, wasn't looking down anyone for their choices... just sharing my own! Secondly, never had a problem keeping track of my kids at any busy public place so therefore, it wasn't needed in the first place. Thirdly, mental well-being is extremely important for the life long health of a child so please, don't dismiss me because you think I passed judgement!

Good for you for never having needed one and never having a child that would run off. That is awesome. Neither of my children are or were like that either. But some of the children that I watch are like that. One little girl will specifically run off wanting to be chased. It's dangerous. And it's not bad for her mental well being to put a leash on her to teach her she must stay close. It would be much worse for her mental well being to be hit by a car or to be kid napped.
  • saraemily5
    Options
    I hate leashes on kids.

Um... 'learn to control your children' is pretty jugemental. You have no idea what a mother with her kid on a leash deals with. She's chosing to keep her child safe despite what *others* may think of her decision. YOu obviously are judging the mother for using a leash by saying that she can't control her child. She IS controlling her child by having a hold on it!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I ONLY used the "leash" at super crowded places like the zoo or the airport.... dont really care what anyone thought at least i knew she was safe at all times.

most people that think its inhuman probably dont have kids...cause theres TONS of opinions that change when you become a parent.

This! I used the "leash" (cue the dramatic music) with both of my kids in high traffic places (airports, disneyland, zoo, etc..) Yea I got some dirty looks and had only lady come up to me and chew me out.

I can appreciate that some folks don't like using this tool. This is what worked for me.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I hate leashes on kids.

Um... 'learn to control your children' is pretty jugemental. You have no idea what a mother with her kid on a leash deals with. She's chosing to keep her child safe despite what *others* may think of her decision. YOu obviously are judging the mother for using a leash by saying that she can't control her child. She IS controlling her child by having a hold on it!

Okay, honey. You need to review the posts.

I said "I don't like them and chose not to use them"

You said "You're judging mothers who use leashes"

I said "No I'm not"

Someone else said "Leashes suck. Learn to control your kids."

I said "That was a judgmental post... mine post where I said that I chose not to use them was not"

You just seem ready to wag your fingers at anybody who doesn't share your viewpoint. I never said anything about mothers who chose to use them. All I said was I chose not to and why.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    If someone could tell me how to control a 2 year old with little impulse control that would be great!
    Kids run off. They see something they like and sometimes it only take a second.
    As a mom that feeling where you look away and suddenly your kid is gone is the worst thing in the world.

I hate the fact that the judgement of others will keep parents from doing what they feel is best for their child. Crowded busy places like malls and airports - kids can be gone in a matter of seconds. This isn't for tethering a child in the back yard.
  • luvJOJO
    luvJOJO Posts: 1,881 Member
    Options
    Yea I got some dirty looks and had only lady come up to me and chew me out.

I would have smacked that b!t@h :flowerforyou:
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I owned one but never used it. My son was a pretty chill child and and he either stayed by my side, I held him, or I used a stroller. The most use it ended up getting was when my son decided to tie it around his stuffed animals and drag them around the house for a few weeks.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I hate leashes on kids.

Independance...that's great. Not listening and unruly behavior....that's not great.

I could give two s*hits if you decide to leash your child. I don't like it. That's my opinion. This is a public forum...opinions/thoughts/feelings will be different. You say safety...I say something completely different...