Leashes for Kids

Replies

• PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,223 Member
    Yea I got some dirty looks and had only lady come up to me and chew me out.

I would have smacked that b!t@h :flowerforyou:

LOL I told her to where she could stuff her opinion.

I was @ Sky Harbor Airport (Phoenix) and it was a madhouse.
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Usually I don't see any reason to use them. Most places are not that crazy. You would think the short period of time it takes to teach them that they need to stay near you when walking wouldn't be worth the cost or the looks.

Having said that, we went to disneyland last month and there were so many people. A kid could easily get lost there, even if they are right next to you. I can see why someone might choose to use one at a place like that if their kid was in the "run and laugh about it" stage. One of my kids left the door slightly open and my youngest, then two years old, RAN away down the street as fast as he could laughing the entire time. Luckily I was a good runner at the time. He also RAN as fast as he could away from me towards the little pond at my parents house and I caught him just as he was jumping in. So having had a runner, I don't always judge them in a negative way. (I did not use them though)
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member

I wish I could *like* this comment. :D
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Just curious how many of the people that "dont like leashes" actually have children.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    I'm told I went through a running phase when I was toddler. Sometimes I'd get the leash when my mom had to take me shopping with her. I didn't mind a bit. She said I was slightly confused when I hit the end of it and promptly attempted to test the invisible parameter.
  • luvJOJO
    luvJOJO Posts: 1,881 Member

LOL...I feel you completely. That is the only time I used one with my son (at the airport). People are always going to judge. You know what they say about opinions lol. I get real defensive when ppl try to tell me what I am doing wrong with my kid. It just strikes a nerve. And I am actually a very non-confrontational person. But you say something about my kid and a whole different person pops out. haha!
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 992 Member
    When I was a young child, I was sometimes on a leash. Which was a very good thing! I was (and still am) a wanderer. Oh, and I used to hide in clothes racks and behind mirrors while my parents weren't looking, feeling rather proud of myself. I think it's a great took for some kids when they're not old enough to realize that wandering isn't ok, but too old for a stroller.

I will definitely consider using one on a child, depending on their personality.

Naturally, I think they're ok, provided that they're used properly, as a tool to help the child safe, etc. etc.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    I don't have a problem at all with a parent who uses that type of leash for a child. I don't believe it's inhumane in the least. When my son was little, he used to take off or dart out in traffic without looking. A leash like that would have come in very handy and this mom could have saved herself a lot of near heart attacks. There were times when I couldn't always hold my son's hand such as having arms full of groceries while walking home from the grocery store for examble. And I just want to say to all you young parents that decide to use a leash, YOU ARE NOT A BAD PARENT and don't ever let anyone make you feel like you are.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member
    It's not really even about controlling your kids or having strong discipline. I mean I lay down the law with my little girl. I'm way more authoritative than I ever thought I would be in my life. I just worry, you know?

She's an amazing kid and always listens and has never been a discipline problem. She knows to stay by my side and I've never had to worry about her.

Except one day. For some reason she darted out into the middle of a parking lot in front of an SUV barrelling down on her. I had a heart attack and had to lunge to grab her. One of the biggest scares of my life.

Why? There was a straw in the road and she wanted to grab it. Lesson? Kids are stupid and unpredictable. Even the best ones. At that moment I would have loved to have had a leash on my "perfect, obedient" daughter.
  • PlanetVelma

LOL...I feel you completely. That is the only time I used one with my son (at the airport). People are always going to judge. You know what they say about opinions lol. I get real defensive when ppl try to tell me what I am doing wrong with my kid. It just strikes a nerve. And I am actually a very non-confrontational person. But you say something about my kid and a whole different person pops out. haha!

I was already sleep deprived and this lady had been eye-balling me. Unfortunately for her, I released my inner-demon on her.

My son doesn't remember when we used the leash and is a great kid. I'm seriously the luckiest parent on the planet, my 17 y/o is just awesome!

Like others have said, as long as folks are using it as a "tool" and not to "tether them in the back yard".....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Just curious how many of the people that "dont like leashes" actually have children.

Agreed.

If a kid isn't being physically or emotionally or sexually abused, it's none of my business what a parent does to keep him or herself sane.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member
    Like others have said, as long as folks are using it as a "tool" and not to "tether them in the back yard".....

Wait that's not cool? Really?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    I want to get one for my wife.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Now I remember why I don't come into this group more. I thought this was a place for reasonable and adult discussion, but there sure is a lot of sniping and back biting going on. Sheesh.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    Y'all can nail me to the cross for this one if you want, but it seems to me that leashes give parents the opportunity to be lazy, and pay less attention to their kids. Just my opinion.

Again, I have two kids and did not use leashes with either. I won't say I didn't consider, but in the long run, it wasn't for me and mine.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    It's not really even about controlling your kids or having strong discipline. I mean I lay down the law with my little girl. I'm way more authoritative than I ever thought I would be in my life. I just worry, you know?

She's an amazing kid and always listens and has never been a discipline problem. She knows to stay by my side and I've never had to worry about her.

Except one day. For some reason she darted out into the middle of a parking lot in front of an SUV barrelling down on her. I had a heart attack and had to lunge to grab her. One of the biggest scares of my life.

Why? There was a straw in the road and she wanted to grab it. Lesson? Kids are stupid and unpredictable. Even the best ones. At that moment I would have loved to have had a leash on my "perfect, obedient" daughter.

Ditto. My son is usually perfect, stays by me, doesn't run off and one day we were walking out of a gas station and he took off running into the parking lot (even though we were right off the sidewalk in front) and I about died. Now I just make sure we are holding hands when we walk outside anywhere.

The leash is not for me. I'm not going to look down upon a parent who uses one... I may laugh at their kid a bit though!
  • PlanetVelma

Wait that's not cool? Really?

:laugh:
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    I dont think ive ever used one on my kids,maybe if they were closer in age. Usually the mothers I see using them have 2 to 3 little ones. I only had to focus on one at a time.

I do have a leash my husband walks me on sometimes. It goes over real well in small town TX:laugh:
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    I do have a leash my husband walks me on sometimes. It goes over real well in small town TX:laugh:

:drinker:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    I dont think ive ever used one on my kids,maybe if they were closer in age. Usually the mothers I see using them have 2 to 3 little ones. I only had to focus on one at a time.

Bwahahaha!

My kids are four years apart so maybe that is why I never found it necessary.