which low carb pizza crust is the best?

Options
dorkof82
dorkof82 Posts: 135 Member
I've printed 3 different low carb recipes, the 1st i've made a similar variation to, it was pretty good.

its made with:
3 cups shredded mozzerella, 1 cup shredded colby & monterey jack, 4 eggs, 1 tsp garlic powder, and 1tsp basil.
im pretty sure mine had cream cheese in it, but thats not important.

I'm looking to try a crispier crust. so i printed out a Flax crust recipe and a Cauliflower recipe, has anyone tried both and has a preference? or even if youve only tried one, feedback?

Replies

• RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    This is my short and sweet version of Jamie's crust from yourlighterside.com

1 cup canned drained chicken breast (pulse in food processor)
    1 cup mozzarella pulse with chicken to make a thick meal consistency
    add your seasonings ( I like rosemary garlic)

Spread onto parchment paper into circle or square place another piece of parchment on top and roll thin
    bake 10-15 min at 350. Take out and place parchment and dough on cooling rack (so it doesn't collect moisture)
    Allow to cool for 5 min.
    Add sauce and toppings, return to oven for 5-8 min

These are my pics! Yum, I know what my kids are making me for dinner! (they love making this)

2012-02-15_14-44-16_149.jpg

2012-02-15_19-54-04_333.jpg
  • 86toronado
    Options
    I've made the cauliflower one before (cauliflower, ricotta, eggs and seasonings). It was pretty good, but not at all crispy. Better if you're looking for a "fold in half" type of slice.
    I don't know what your carb goal is, but if it's relatively high* (I'm aiming for 50 or so per day) try the Flat-out wraps as a pizza crust. I brush it with olive oil, sprinkle some salt, pepper and garlic powder on, and toast it while I'm getting everything else ready. (Just be careful, I burned my last one yesterday). Then even with the toppings, it stays nice and crispy.
    *I just looked it up, a light Flat-out wrap is only 5g net carbs
  • groomchick
    groomchick Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    bump
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chasingbabes
    Options
    Bump
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • MIchelleH2027
    MIchelleH2027 Posts: 1,239 Member
    Options
    I am certainly going to have to try these!!! Thanks!
  • SmartWhatever
    SmartWhatever Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I usually just use a low carb pita or tortilla. And I love Walden Farms tomato/ basil sauce- it has no carbs at all and tastes good!
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I have a wheat (and corn and soy) allergy, so I can use the Flat-out option. My husband loves them though.

I liked the cauliflower crust - it wasn't "pizza" but it was tasty. I've seen the chicken crust and it's good to know that someone likes it - now I'll have to try it soon. I make a flax crust ONCE. Maybe it was that particular recipe, but I took one bite, scraped off the toppings, ate them and threw that nasty piece of flax cardboard away. It was just plain awful, although many others raved about it.

Since my cauliflower and flax experiments, I've found a couple more....
    I did like the almond flour crust here
    http://velocity.t-nation.com/free_online_forum/diet_performance_nutrition_bodybuilding_velocity_recipe/food_friday_glutenfree_pizza_crust

and a pizza crust with sunflower seeds - haven't tried this one yet
    http://oreganicthrifty.blogspot.com/2009/02/sunflower-seed-pizza-crust-and-thrifty.html

haven't tried this one because I can't find coconut flour
    http://fastpaleo.com/primal-pizza/
  • dorkof82
    Options

Thats the one i tried yesterday. it was really tasty. but i learned a very valuable lesson LOL!! dont use a regular pizza pan hahahaa the dough slipped through the tiny holes and was a B**** to get off the pan... hahhaa atleast it tasted good :)

think im going to try the flax one today

zero carb flax and parmesan pizza crust

1 cup flax meal (ground flax seeds)
    1/2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
    2 eggs

mix the flax meal and parm (or romano) in a medium bowl. add the eggs and stir until a dough is formed. it will be sticky, let it sit for about 5 minutes or so until its easier to work with. wet your hands with water to help keep the dough from sticking to them and press into a greased cookie sheet about 1/3 inch thick in a circle. you should get about a 10 inch crust out of it- if its a lot smaller than you are making it too thick. bake in preheated oven @ 350 F for 8 min. remove. add toppings. bake for another 15 min.

just bought some parmesan and the oven is heating up, now to get to work!
  • dorkof82
    Options
    well... the flax i have is clearly not as low in carbs as whoever made the recipe, because mine was FAR from zero carbs. cutting it into 8 slices comes out to 6 carbs per slice... dang.. i only eat 20 carbs a day, so that kinda blows.. just ate half a slice and thats all im going to eat cause it taste nasty to me. cauliflower pizza from now on!! lol
  • RachelsReboot
    Options
    well... the flax i have is clearly not as low in carbs as whoever made the recipe, because mine was FAR from zero carbs. cutting it into 8 slices comes out to 6 carbs per slice... dang.. i only eat 20 carbs a day, so that kinda blows.. just ate half a slice and thats all im going to eat cause it taste nasty to me. cauliflower pizza from now on!! lol

What kind of flax do you have?
  • dorkof82
    Options
    haha it was some old forti-flax i forget the brand name of it, but it started with a b.. haha like that helps.. but i noticed my moms flax is only 1 carb per serving, whatever brand hers was its clearly a better one to use
  • RachelsReboot
    Options
    haha it was some old forti-flax i forget the brand name of it, but it started with a b.. haha like that helps.. but i noticed my moms flax is only 1 carb per serving, whatever brand hers was its clearly a better one to use

Yeah I have one I can get that is brown that comes out to 0 carb (same carb and fiber counts) and then the golden flax that I get comes out to 1 carb so they are definitely not all the same. BTW, that pizza crust I posted is good too if you use the chicken, half the amount of cheese and 1/4 cup of flax, I don't like the flax crust just on it's own, gets to styrofoamy
  • dorkof82
    Options
    i'll try it out next week :) it sounds yummy
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/most_awesome_pizza_crust.html

I made this one once and thought it was pretty good.
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    bump
  • pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Bump - tried the chicken/mozzarella crust last night, best ever!
  • dorkof82
    Options
    gaahhh i forgot to get canned chicken yesterday... if i can get it on my way home im going to try this today