10 weeks in, no progress. Need some pointers.

Options
2»

Replies

• WeCallThemDayWalkers
    WeCallThemDayWalkers Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Hmm..... well I know some people are touchy about this, but looking at your diary (if you are logging correctly) it looks like you are regularly under your protein goals by quite a bit and often over on your carbs and sometimes fat. Maybe cleaning things up and getting more protein and less carbs will help?

Yeah, I've definitely thought about this a bit too... Honestly though I am not good at getting more protein. When I get over 100g I am thrilled. Almost always though if I get enough protein I get far above my fat or carbs or calories or ALL of those things. I really don't like chicken breasts enough to eat them every day. Not a fan of salty lunch meats either.

I can eat a lot of peanut butter and love it...and I have high protein bread..then I'm over my carbs AND fat. lol

grr
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    lluvchopstick was referring to the OP's diary, because mine actually is not open. I do, however have my macros set as suggested 40/30/30 (adding whey protein every day to hit my mark). I aim for less than 2,500 of sodium, and minimum of 25-30 on fiber. I really don't think my diet is at fault. I eat A LOT of veggies, no artificial sweeteners, keep sugars low, prepare 90% of my meals (very little processed stuff).

This is my suggestion you are doing a lot of cardio on your running days so honestly you don't need any more not even the 1/2 hr extra on lifting days. Next question how heavy are you lifting on your lifting days is it high weight low reps or high reps low weights. That will make a difference. You have to lift high weights low reps to see muscle gain. So an idea would be try to take out the cardio on strength days unless it is like 5 minutes to warm up and see where that gets you?
  • Cclancaster
    Options
    Hmm..... well I know some people are touchy about this, but looking at your diary (if you are logging correctly) it looks like you are regularly under your protein goals by quite a bit and often over on your carbs and sometimes fat. Maybe cleaning things up and getting more protein and less carbs will help?

Yeah, I've definitely thought about this a bit too... Honestly though I am not good at getting more protein. When I get over 100g I am thrilled. Almost always though if I get enough protein I get far above my fat or carbs or calories or ALL of those things. I really don't like chicken breasts enough to eat them every day. Not a fan of salty lunch meats either.

I can eat a lot of peanut butter and love it...and I have high protein bread..then I'm over my carbs AND fat. lol

grr

High protein protein shake?
  • Iluvchopsticks
    Iluvchopsticks Posts: 130 Member
    Options

grr

Yeah, I didn't eat meat for years so had a tough time with protein. I am better about it now but sometimes still need to supplement. Do you have any issues with protein shakes? How about more dairy? Those two things definitely help me meet my protein goals. Also eggs! I take them boiled to work when I know I need a protein filled snack. They are nutritious and cheap :)
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options

grr

Do you use protein shakes? You can find some lower carb ones out there. I also like Perky Jerky (Target has it, but it's cheaper to buy bulk online). The turkey variety is very low sodium, and high in protein. Edamame is another good protein source. Mix it w/ avocado (Edamole), or roast the beans or throw in anything. I'm on the hunt for low sodium cottage cheese, because that stuff is high in protein, too. I also eat a ton of greek yogurt.
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    lluvchopstick was referring to the OP's diary, because mine actually is not open. I do, however have my macros set as suggested 40/30/30 (adding whey protein every day to hit my mark). I aim for less than 2,500 of sodium, and minimum of 25-30 on fiber. I really don't think my diet is at fault. I eat A LOT of veggies, no artificial sweeteners, keep sugars low, prepare 90% of my meals (very little processed stuff).

Ok, sorry, in the thread I thought she was referring to you.

Questions for you:

You mentioned being up 5lbs, has there been any fluctuations? Did you gain it all at once, has it been a steady upward trend? Has there been any bouncing....tell me about the 5lbs.
  • moylie
    Options

This is my suggestion you are doing a lot of cardio on your running days so honestly you don't need any more not even the 1/2 hr extra on lifting days. Next question how heavy are you lifting on your lifting days is it high weight low reps or high reps low weights. That will make a difference. You have to lift high weights low reps to see muscle gain. So an idea would be try to take out the cardio on strength days unless it is like 5 minutes to warm up and see where that gets you?

I'm doing high weight / low reps. For example, I do a circuit of about 5-8 different machines. I do about 8-10 reps for three sets on each machine. I'm struggling by about the 6-8th rep, so I know it's good and heavy. Should I aim for a certain amount of time for each lifting routine??? After my half-marathon, I'm interested in trying out NROLFW, or Stronglifts or something to follow specifically, instead of winging it on my own.
  • ANewLucia
    Options

I'm doing high weight / low reps. For example, I do a circuit of about 5-8 different machines. I do about 8-10 reps for three sets on each machine. I'm struggling by about the 6-8th rep, so I know it's good and heavy. Should I aim for a certain amount of time for each lifting routine??? After my half-marathon, I'm interested in trying out NROLFW, or Stronglifts or something to follow specifically, instead of winging it on my own.

New Rules is a good intro to getting into the free weight room and it will help you progressively up your weights.
  • Cclancaster
    Options

I wouldn't worry about the time you spend strength training just that once you are done you have fatigued the muscles. So if you do lets say 3 sets of 8-12 reps and your muscles are tired then you did great. I just keep leaning towards you are doing to much cardio. I know that you are training for a marathon so you need to run. So don't do cardio on your strength days. Do a little warm up work a group of muscles and then go home. I drink a protein shake directly after strength training because your body will suck it up to heal your muscles.
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options

Have you taken your measurements?

Oh yes, sorry. I have been taking them. They are always the same for past 10 weeks.

bust 43, natural waist 32-32.5, hips 42.

I've measured thighs, calf, neck, forearm, bicep. No changes.

Hard to know for sure with the arm, though. It lacks firmness so the tape measure sinks in a bit and I don't think I'm good at finding the same spot every time.

I appreciate any suggestions. You're really an inspiration to me!!

This is odd, something needs to be tweaked...it isn't your food intake I don't believe. I think it may be your exercise. Just try this for me... First take a one week break from exercising while you eat TDEE - 15% (do not decrease your cals from what they are now). You can go for leisurely walks, but don't work up a sweat. Then go back to exercising and do heavy lifting one hour max 3 days a week and on the other 2 days do 30 min HIIT (you can do on ellip, walk/jog, tread) and that is it. REST for the two days, keep your sodium reasonable, drink plenty of water during those two days, get up on the 3rd day and take your weight and measurements after using the restroom. Let me know the outcome (now if TOM is here or around the corner, that is going to skew your weighin).

Lucia - Thanks for the suggestions!! I will give this a try. Should I just not log exercise, even if I take slow walks, etc? Also, if I'm going to be somewhat sedentary, should I use a TDEE based on light activity rather than mod?
  • moylie
    Options

Questions for you:

You mentioned being up 5lbs, has there been any fluctuations? Did you gain it all at once, has it been a steady upward trend? Has there been any bouncing....tell me about the 5lbs.

I can't really tell you on fluctuations, because I took a scale break pryor to joining this group, and have only weighed once a month in the last two months. So, here's what I know. I had plateaued at about 144/145 from Nov. 2011 to about Feb. 2012. I had been at 1400ish calories (per MFP, and eating back most exercise calories). So for Feb. I upped gradually, with the last weeks going to around 1700. At the beginning of March, I weighed 149/150, so up 5 pounds total. For all of April I've been at my TDEE w/ 15% cut (1810 or so), and weighed this morning, and it STILL says 150. So, not only are my measurements not changing, I'm UP 5 pounds over my lowest weight. I wouldn't care so much what the scale says, but I'm physically not changing at all.... my stinkin' measurements have been the same since February 17th.
  • ANewLucia
    Options

Questions for you:

I can't really tell you on fluctuations, because I took a scale break pryor to joining this group, and have only weighed once a month in the last two months. So, here's what I know. I had plateaued at about 144/145 from Nov. 2011 to about Feb. 2012. I had been at 1400ish calories (per MFP, and eating back most exercise calories). So for Feb. I upped gradually, with the last weeks going to around 1700. At the beginning of March, I weighed 149/150, so up 5 pounds total. For all of April I've been at my TDEE w/ 15% cut (1810 or so), and weighed this morning, and it STILL says 150. So, not only are my measurements not changing, I'm UP 5 pounds over my lowest weight. I wouldn't care so much what the scale says, but I'm physically not changing at all.... my stinkin' measurements have been the same since February 17th.

OHHHHHHH, ok, so you are not gaining or losing....Stay right where you are for the next few weeks, if you don't lose or gain I am going to suggest going up another 100 in cals.

Umm, calc you BMR are you using Moderate for your TDEE calc? If you answered before...forgive. Maybe just inbox me the info...trying to keep up with where what is in the forum is taxing...Kiki and I are working on a website because this is too difficult to maintain:-)
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this too, just 2 weeks in, but when I see the results and read the success stories of the members that have used this philosophy, I'm in! The changes in the bodies are so awesome and they didn't happen over night. I will gladly take it slow if it means this is the last time I have to do this, cause I did it right this time. I did gain the 1st week, but a week later lost back to where I was. I've been told to wait about 4 - 6 weeks for a loss on the scale, but the inches are moving and the definition is starting to develop. I can live without the weight loss, I've always looked like I weight less than I do, so inch loss and total body improvement is what I'm banking on. Good Luck!!!!
  • WeCallThemDayWalkers
    Options
    Good luck Coco Puff! Hopefully it goes smoothly for you.