PCOS and Vegetarian?

Options
Boldilocks
Boldilocks Posts: 9 Member
Hi there - I'm new to these boards and this group. I have been using Fitday for about 8 years to track calories and exercise, but this site has a far larger food database so I think I'm switching for good! :-)

Anyway - I was diagnosed with PCOS about 11 years ago. Right around the time that my weight gain began. I have been able to have 2 children, but needed IVF. I've been on metformin for about 8 years - though to be honest I've slacked off on taking it (pills make me gag) and I don't want to start again because I get the gastric side effects really badly! It never helped me to lose weight or alleviate symptoms.

I have been vegetarian since I was 6 and just can't bring myself to go back. I get lectured so often about how it would be so much easier to reduce or eliminate symptoms if I had more protein and less carbs so I should "just eat meat" - but I can't do it.

Are there any others here who are vegetarian and have PCOS? It's definitely a challenge!

Replies

• gafford101
    gafford101 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I only eat fish and occasional organic ckn or turkey. I have the same problem getting protein, but also to be honest....you need at least 135g or so of carbs for your metabolism, brain function, and to get enough fiber....high fat is disgusting...ive always eaten low fat...and high protein adds stress to your kidneys....so balance is still best, but for me i have anhealthy relationship with sugar...and sugar is obviously not good.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    You can do low carb or keto while being vegetarian or even vegan. There's a low carb group here that has some folks - and then you can try reddit looking for keto and vegetarian.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

The LCD group covers all levels of low carbs - as long as you are actively restricting. We have folks who are active and eat up to 200 or folks who eat 5 or less all carnivore - and literally everything in between.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1143-keto

This group is all keto, but it is far less active.

There are vegetarians, pescatarians, and vegans in both groups.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    You do not need 135 grams of carbs for those things. You need less than 50 grams of carbs total, but your body can synthesize those from protein sources. Fiber is one of those things you may not actually need. Fat is the natural digestive/bowel lubricant. Fiber is only necessary if you are eating a significant number of carbs.

High fat "can" be disgusting, I suppose, if you depend on poor sources of fat for your choices. Avocados are high fat. Cooking with coconut oil or butter are high fat. Using coconut cream, heavy cream, or sour cream are high fat. Nuts are high fat. Eggs are fantastic source of fats and nutrition, especially the yolks (since chicken is mentioned above). Cream cheese and cheese are high in fats. Now if you're dairy free, you'll have to expand your horizons to other fat choices, too. But olives are nice and fatty. There are SOOOOO many choices. Yogurt can be high fat if you choose good brands.

I cannot emphasize this statement enough. It is a scientifically proven fact. FATS ARE CRITICAL TO A HEALTHY HORMONE BALANCE. Fats and cholesterol are what help your body create the balance and hormones it needs.

You do not HAVE to eat greasy disgusting foods that you can't stand to look at... Eating even moderate fat is not a greasy diner's worst nightmare. It is all about thinking outside the box and finding which fats work FOR YOU...

Also, when you increase fats, your sugar cravings ease up - a little if you're insulin resistant (like me) or a lot if you have a relatively normal metabolism.
  • gafford101
    gafford101 Posts: 10 Member
    edited September 2016
    Options
    I respectively disagree with you regarding carbs (especially for long term diet goals)..ive never seen trusted studies proving me wrong...doctors are NOT trusted sources for nutrition, Dietitians ARE and they are my source on that front..but i do know there are good and bad fats and that fats are good for pcos hormone problems...i just am personally disgusted by high fat diets that dont allow fruits, certain veggies, etc. personally
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    If fruits looked like they did back when our ancestors ate them, I'd agree. But the things we eat today resemble little more than candy in veggie clothing, so to speak. Most of us with PCOS can't handle the sugars, particularly fructose, on a regular basis. Even on a strict ketogenic diet, I still included some fruits, but they were a treat, not a daily or by the meal addition. The only veggies I restrict are starchy ones - and my body has more than proven that it doesn't handle them well. Aside from that, I agree, these blatant "you can never eat that again" policies are ridiculous, and 99.99% of people cannot adhere to them long term, much less life-long. It's all about finding the balance that works for you. And while you claim to have a balanced approach, very much like myself you also claim to have an unhealthy relationship with sugar. When the rest of my diet and lifestyle is on a level field, I don't have the same level of sugar issues that I have when I eat unrestricted. Unrestricted or even moderately restricted, I become a raging sugar beast with binges at random. With my carbs at least somewhat controlled and managed (I'm currently ranging 100-150 a day, and just keeping grains, starches, and sugars to a minimum), I can keep my head attached and not lose it to the overwhelming sugar voice in my head, which never really goes away - it just gets easier to ignore.

Best of luck to all of you and frankly all of us, no matter what plan or lifestyle we run on!
  • baleighbee
    baleighbee Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I live a plant based diet and have PCOS as well. I am currently struggling with fertility unfortunately, but I have lost almost 20 pounds now and my doctor believes I am in perfect shape. I do not find it challenging to be a vegetarian with PCOS while getting healthy due to the fact that I do not agree with the way animals are treated now so I do not feel good when I eat meat. I even try to have my diet be as vegan friendly as possible by also eliminating eggs, cheese, and diary. The only challenge I have is when going out to a restaurant. I live on the central coast so maybe every other month I will get fish that is freshly caught from the ocean, but even then I try to avoid it. So what works for me is starting my day off with a protein bar, protein shake, or oatmeal (all of these can be vegetarian or vegan depending on if you get the protein from a whey or soy source). Next for lunch I normally do a salad with spinach, lots of nuts, olive oil & vinegar and occasionally feta cheese. For snacks I do veggies, edamame, fruits, etc. For dinner a nice quinoa and black bean bowl with avocado and salsa hits the spot! For dessert I will either have vegan ice cream, vegan lenny and larry cookie, homemade vegan protein balls, etc. You can do it! :smiley:
  • duerbeckkayla
    duerbeckkayla Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, diabetes, and am also a vegetarian...so I definitely understand!
  • ranganayakee
    ranganayakee Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian all my life and I have PCOS as well. I try to keep my carbs anywhere between 130-160 g a day... though I have had better results with weight loss when I stick to the lower 130s. I mostly eat an Indian diet with a lot of lentils and vegetables in whatever I cook if that helps.
  • BreyondBlush
    BreyondBlush Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian since I was 5, got diagnoised with PCOS at 16, and have been TTC for 3 years with no luck so far. I can't eat meat even if I try, makes me ill. I understand the struggle though and how everyone feels like they know all the answers when they aren't the ones suffering with it. Keep your head up high, meat most likely won't make it better ❤️
  • lolakinks
    lolakinks Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and with pcos. I also hard to have low carb and high protein but I don't mind it, I try to take low cal and I'm slowly losing weight. In my country (Turkey) there aren't enough industrial plant based protein sources. But in USA and Europe there are more options, like tofu, tempeh, seitan, vegan cheese etc. And also lentils, beans, almonds etc are also options. I try to eat lentils and beans often and also I eat cheese everyday.