Self-conscious about working out?

Options
KathrynJo3
KathrynJo3 Posts: 7 Member
Hey everyone!

I go to a school that is well-known for having the most attractive student body in the midwest and plenty of eating disorders to match. Because of this and because it's a small enough campus that I know a ton of people and see them often, I shy away from the rec and when I'm there, I only walk the track or ride the bikes b/c I don't want to...um...jiggle... It just seems like all those skinny *****es are looking at me when I'm there wondering what the fat chick is doing on their turf. I've taken to going only on Friday or Saturday nights if I don't have plans, and at other times I take long walks with my ipod.

So what I'm wondering is if anyone can relate to my problem and if so, any suggestions? It's a rare occasion when I can actually convince myself to tough it out and get to the rec.

Replies

• JediMaster_intraining
    JediMaster_intraining Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I am still self-conscious still even after losing some weight. It doesn't help that there are a lot of runners at my college who run without anything but shorts and a sports bra if a girl or shorts and no shirt if a guy. I find that dvd's that you can do privately in your room help a lot until you can build up confidence to just go every week regularly. (Even when I lived in a dorm I used to workout in private with weights until I was running too!) I think once you see that you are capable of doing great workouts alone you'll want to show off to everyone else. Now I'm always competing (in my head of course) when I go to the rec or the apartment gym with those more fit girls. I want them to see that even though I'm not as skinny, tan or fit as them I'm on the same level as them and I will kick their butt if they send me a dirty look!

Of course, most people at the gym aren't gonna be looking at you if they are really there to work out. My boyfriend says it's all in my head :smile: and it's just my insecurities holding me back.

Try going a couple of times and see how you like it. IF you absolutely can't concentrate and can't stop wondering who's looking at you. Try what I did. It may help. DON'T let anyone/anything hold you back from getting fit! YOU CAN DO IT one day at a time!:flowerforyou:
  • ttxqiu
    ttxqiu Posts: 27
    Options
    No one is judging you negatively for being active. Pretend you're the only person in the world, or that you're just in the Matrix and all the people are just simulations.
  • jvasquez2010
    Options
    I totally get that..i never liked going to the gym on campus or off because i thought someone would always be judging me; and i think sweating is the grossest thing and it's something i do a lot, especially when i workout. I learned to just plug in my ipod and get into my own zone, i literally just focus on myself and pretend like i am the only person in the world and i even forget other people are there...and for the most part if they are there to workout themselves they wont be focusing on you. just remember you have the same rights as they do..i'm sure you have to help pay for the gym equipment with either tuition money or a membership fee, so if you are helping to pay for it then you have the right to use it all you want no matter who is around. it might take a little while to get used to the idea of being there with other people, but the more you go the easier it will get. just never give up and remind yourself of why you are there..ask yourself " what do I want to get out of being at the gym?" and let that be your motivation. good luck and stay strong :)
  • ChihGirl
    ChihGirl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean! This is the #1 reason that I do not work out!!! Good to know I'm not the only one... :smile:

I try to do some stuff at home to get some exercise in, but it's not nearly as effective, or fun.

But this summer I'm going to try and force myself to start going more often! The way I plan to convince myself to go is 1: surely less people will be there during summer, right? and 2: I'm paying for the use of the rec center so I'd better take advantage of it!! This is the only time of my life that I will have "free" access to a gym, so if I'm not working out now, what makes me think I will in the future?? I'd better get the good habits formed before it becomes more complicated, or I may never stop gaining weight! :tongue:
  • Francesca3434
    Options
    I felt like that too, but the more i went to the gym the less awkward I felt :)
  • Diesel1984
    Diesel1984 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    *kitten* them and do your thing! You cannot let other people hold you back. Also, a tip: if you really want to lose some fat hit the weight machines instead of cardio. Do circuit weight training: pick out 10 machine for say upper body and do them back to back for 15the reps each with maybe 30sec inbetween. Then take a 2-5min break and do it 2-4 more times. Then strech out. Try to do lower body2-3 times a wk amd upper 2-3body times. You wont burn as many calories and stored fat during the workouts as cardio but youll burn far more after youre done by the body repairing your muscles.
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. "Most attractive female students in Canada" is my school. Multimillion dollar, massive fitness centre is usually pretty full. I'm STILL timid to go do free weights, even though I know I know what I'm doing.
  • cgp7201
    cgp7201 Posts: 4
    Options
    I felt the exact same way. I suggest start going at a time that it's less crowded. Maybe early in the morning or late at night. My gym is pretty crowded 3-8 pm when people are done with class. Once you're more comfortable at the gym, you'll feel better about going when other people are there. I started noticing that I wasn't the most unfit person there and I didn't care who was. And I started to feel bad for the girls there who looked totally anorexic. Good luck!
  • honore54
    honore54 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else here said, the best thing to do is turn on your iPod and lose yourself in the music. I hate going to the gym by my house during the day because I see people from my high school so I usually go early like 5:30 or 6 in the morning. Yes that means I have to get up early in the summer but honestly the results are worth it. I've been doing it for a few weeks now and I'm already losing weight.

Just remember, you're doing this for you and no one else :)
  • chelseabell91
    Options
    I'm totally the same way....I tend to just jog or walk around the neighborhood by my apartment. I find that I prefer being outdoors anyways (I get less bored!) and then after about 30 mins or so I come back to the apt and do some simple exercises on my own to tone up (like squats, push-ups, lunges, etc) to tone up.I know i look COMPLETELY ridiculous working out so I'm more comfortable doing these things on my own until I build up a higher confidence. I have started going back to the Rec at school and doing the elliptical and I its not bad at all! If you go when its not too crowded and work your way up, you can do it! :)
    No one is going to judge you anyway, but I totally understand cause i'm the same way!

Chelsea
  • parisiantwyst
    Options
    I totally know where you're coming from. I've been afraid of working out in a gym for years, and this was confirmed when I went to the gym for the first time about two weeks ago. Yes, the gym was pretty deserted, but the staff on hand is extremely judgmental, and many of the machines were not even turned on.
    I didn't want to look like an idiot trying to use machines that weren't on (and don't turn on unless connected to the mainframe) so I had to settle for a treadmill.
    At that point, I decided to just stick to walking down the hill to town and back, or around my apartment. Roughly in a day of work I end up climbing about 30 sets of stairs and walking at least 4 miles, so I try not to sweat my fear of the gym. Who knows, maybe when I lose a little more (and when winter comes) I'll head back indoors, but for the meantime, I think I'll just stick to walking/jogging outside
  • seventwenty
    seventwenty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    *kitten* them and do your thing! You cannot let other people hold you back.

What this dude said.
  • BrittLee07
    BrittLee07 Posts: 28
    Options
    The thing is you just shouldn't care! You HAVE to start somewhere and there is the place. You have EVERY right to be there, just as much of a right as they do. Every time a girl looks at you funny let it be motivation to get in even better shape. One day, you'll have a body that is not only fit but HEALTHY as well, and they'll look at you and wish they had your body.
    Don't worry about other people. You just do you, and in the long run you'll look healthier and it will be better in the long run. Don't be intimidated I PROMISE you'll be fine. :)
  • AShawneeF
    AShawneeF Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Yes! Notice that when you are in the gym you only see the really in-shape people?
    My school has a pretty awesome fitness center and all sorts of rec activities to do. I usually end up in the back, working in the room with no air conditioning with the old equipment because I don't want to be in the front.
    Worse, I accidentally washed my mp3 player so now i dont have any workout music :(

I am also looking at my scheduel, which is 17 credits (5 classes), and the fact I will be working as much as I can on campus to make ends meet. I'm a nursing student, so it's a requirement to carry around your books like they are your only friend in the world. When will I have time to sleep, let alone work out?

But you know what? It's gonna work out all right. Screw them all. If they don't like me being there, they can suck it. I don't really want to look like them and they need to get off their high horses.

My advice is to get a workout buddy. It makes you accountable for working out and you can provide each other with motivation. Talking with them will help you keep your mind off of everything else and make the time go by faster.

25846456.png
  • cerwin17
    cerwin17 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I can fully relate to your problem; I have the same problem myself, and it often prevents me from going to work out in more "public" places such as gyms...As long as the weather permits, I also enjoy walking outside, and hopefully when I lose a few pounds I can work up to jogging. Even when I walk outside in a park or on a trail, if there are a lot of people around I often feel like everyone is staring at me...I've been trying to combat this by smiling and saying hi whenever someone walks by me while I am working out. From my experiences though, most people there are more focused on walking/running/talking to the person they're with than they are on me. I think a big part of getting over self-consciousness is realizing that even if you think everyone is looking at you or talking about you, they're really not, because people as a general rule focus on themselves more than they ever do on you. You're definitely not the only one with self-consciousness issues, I think everyone has them regardless of weight or appearance.
  • glo_
    glo_ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I understand exactly where you're coming from but you have to focus on yourself. I always think in mind that its better for me to be at the gym with the skinnies then at the buffet and the skinnies looking at me and my plate! Just think positive and get into your own zone and if catch one staring SMILE back :smile:
  • ckay220
    ckay220 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    The gym at my school is basically only for football players...it's like an unspoken rule...so I plan on joining the gym near my school! But yes! I donh't want anyone to ever look at me working out! Hopefully if I lose some this month, I'll feel better upon my return to school.
  • wolfesg
    Options
    Might it also help going really early in the morning? That's what me and my roommate do--mostly because she's a morning person, and I'm an awkward little pud who hates working out in front of people.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    My gym has an area where most of the frat boys and sorority girls work out, as well as a few machines around the corner. I go for those. Might help if you find a more isolated area like I do.

Also, early mornings on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are great because everyone is hung over and the gym is empty!