Self-conscious about working out?

Options
2»

Replies

• TrishaAnn13
    TrishaAnn13 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to know that I'm not alone. I go to the gym and I run and do the weight machines and that's about it because anything else I can do in my house, where no one else can see me.

I'm torn between the feelings of wanting to use everything there to get full advantage of the gym and having people watch me do it. I'm sure that everyone there is just doing their own thing and that there aren't a ton of people judging me but I feel like they are. From the minute I walk in to the minute I leave I just feel like people are thinking "ha that fat girl is struggling to do these simple things"

I just remind myself that at the end of this it won't matter and going will be the best thing for me. I need to gain more hope in people, cause I'm sure there are people there that are thinking "good for her" so I just need to stop thinking about other people, and just remember how great this is for me.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I had a friend like this. I told her to suck it up. When I see bigger girls at the gym I think well they're trying to get fit, good for them. I don't think "ewww fat girl" it's a gym... People go there to get or stay in shape. Please don't use your specific college as an example. That's any college.
  • yourmomdude
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I go to a school that is well-known for having the most attractive student body in the midwest and plenty of eating disorders to match. Because of this and because it's a small enough campus that I know a ton of people and see them often, I shy away from the rec and when I'm there, I only walk the track or ride the bikes b/c I don't want to...um...jiggle... It just seems like all those skinny *****es are looking at me when I'm there wondering what the fat chick is doing on their turf. I've taken to going only on Friday or Saturday nights if I don't have plans, and at other times I take long walks with my ipod.

So what I'm wondering is if anyone can relate to my problem and if so, any suggestions? It's a rare occasion when I can actually convince myself to tough it out and get to the rec.

I literally had the same experience in college. And contrary to what everyone else has said, they probably are judging you. This is frequently how disordered eating works for most people. I am just leaning to rewire my self-hate response that I developed when going to the gym in college. Is there some other way you can workout? Open swim? Biking? Join a club or intramural team (frisbee and rugby are usually non-judgmental)? Taking a fitness class? Incorporating these into your workout routine might help you learn to like exercise and worry less.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I feel worse for those tiny lanky mutha *****rs trying to gain weight at the gym. I feel like it's easier just to restrict calories and do what you'd do normally. Don't worry about your appearance at the gym... I've seen women put make-up for the gym and you already know they're not going to work out seriously. The worse you look for the gym the better the work out in my opinion. Once you start getting into workout fashion you've gone too far.

Don't compare yourself to others, just compare to yourself to the "old" you. Plus, if things go crazy we'll all go down and judo kick all those girls and then we'll see who really knows whats up.
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I go to a small college and the only people in the fitness room are these skinny (but fit) guys. I wanted to go in but not alone. I found a girl in one of my classes who wanted a workout buddy too so we started going together. The downside is that my friend was more petite and very attractive and all the guys would be talking to her and hitting on her -_- Now I feel confident to go alone though. Show them you are just as capable as they are and its your space as much as it is theirs. I can't tell you to not compare yourself to others, as I do that alot and that would be hypocritical of me. Just don't let them influence you. Keep strong! :)
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Everyone's too busy looking at themselves to look at you.

If you still think otherwise just find a workout buddy to talk to and workout with make the enviorment less intimidating
  • xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    I used to feel the same way! For a long time, I didn't even want to run outside at all, because I didn't want people to drive by and go "wow, look at that blob trying to work out." But I've decided that nothing is ever going to change unless I push through that fear and just DO it. So my advice to you would be to go to to the gym (perhaps during a time when there are few people there, if you want to ease into it), put your headphones on, put on some music and just do your thing.
  • Stormchasegrl
    Stormchasegrl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I see all these people saying "you just shouldn't care" but it's really difficult to get over this phobia. I have access to my campus gym but I'm mortified to use it. I do all my cardio in my apartment. I know it's something I'm going to get over eventually, but I do not think I'll feel better about it until I lose it bit more weight and feel more comfortable in my own skin. That's the whole point. Yes, we're doing this to get healthy but many of us have not felt comfortable in our own skin for a long time, if ever. That is a large part of why we're self-conscious about exercising in public. It's really easy for people who do not feel this way to just say "get over it." But unless you've ever truly felt like this, you can't possibly know how impossible that suggestion can seem.
  • LilMissTucknRoll
    LilMissTucknRoll Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have a small frame and I still jiggle quite a bit. I'm petite but I do understand what you mean as I don't like working out in front of people either. Sometimes I feel self-conscious and hopeless even working out alone. Any time someone is trying to help me with how to do something I giggle nervously when I try in front of them and they think I'm not taking it seriously.

There are people that judge negatively about bigger people at the gym, but what I think is that we should think more positively about people trying to get in shape. They are doing something positive in their lives. And that is how you should try to see yourself, as well. I know this is hard, but you will get there.
  • kganc001
    kganc001 Posts: 317
    Options
    They're all too busy worrying about themselves, promise. :)
  • alyssarof2012
    alyssarof2012 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My school is the same way. We are definitely known for our attractive student body. I don't ever workout in our gym (which they advertise as free to the students, though I know I pay for it, haha). I workout at home using dvds and such (I am a commuter).
  • Kate814
    Kate814 Posts: 145
    Options
    I'm in decent shape and spend quite a bit of time at my campus's gym, and I'm still self conscious being there sometimes. It helps to keep in mind that nearly every girl (and some of the guys) in there are.