May Progress

Options

Replies

• irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Well... poop! Skipped Friday intending to do Saturday and ended up fighting the flea battle all day by moving everything I could move and vacuming and then laying down diatomacious earth and was too tired after to even think of weight training. Then yesterday had a family emergency that is going to continue to take up my non@work time, likely for the rest of the week, and IF I'm done on Saturday, I'm going to need to rest. So no progress for me until next Monday and likely a slight de-load at that. *sigh*
  • irridia
    Options
    We have training plates at my gym and I'm really grateful for that.

I've had a ****ay day today. I was inexplicably floored by MCA's death and I my lifting this morning was underwhelming. I think it's a matter of unrealistic expectations which is also a bummer since it isn't a matter of "tighten your glutes and everything will fall into place". I want to lift a combined squat/bench/deads 500 at this July meet and that may simply not be able to happen. I have to wrap my brain around that being okay. Wah wah wah.

I spent some time looking at Westside Barbell's program for powerlifting minded lifters and I was sort of meh about all the assistance exercise. I like that Stronglifts is all barbell all the time. Sooo, I think I need to just get over myself and whatever I lift in July, I lift. I've only really been doing this real-deal style since October. Maybe I can put that on my shirt at the competition. :)

my understanding is you only need to do assistance exercises if you .... well, need assistance! I do. I'm starting with lower abs! Once those start to feel stronger I need to assess my hip flexors and how to even them out. My right seems to be overdeveloped. And flexibility, mobility as often as I can push myself to do them. I don't really understand me. I feel better after, so why is it that these things are sooo dreaded? I'd almost rather go to the dentist than stretch and use the foam roller!
  • irridia
    Options
    Also, how wide should the grip be for these?

I "hook" grip. I only started stacking plates under my bar, so I don't have anything to offer you. I just got myself into a low deadlift start position, which was really taxing on my quads.

I am new at this. What do you mean by stacking plates under the bar?? what is hook grip?
    Also if anyone can help, does anyone have trouble with pain on the upper back where the bar sits during squats?? i am only squating 65 pounds now and its already getting uncomfortable....
    Also how do you know if your form is off doing overhead press?? I feel like towards the last set, I am leaning my head back some and my belly pushes out a little. Does this mean my form is bad? should I not increase my weight next time??? Today was only my third day doing SL so i am still trying to figure things out!

Thanks!

You usually have better form when you stack plates or risers under each end of the bar, so it is lifted off of the ground more so you don't have to bend down to reach it.

A hook grip is gripping with the thumb mostly and the fingers are on the outside of the thumb when gripping the bar. It's not the grip SL recommends so I wouldn't worry about it.

I have some discomfort in my upper back where the bar sits while I do squats, but not after. Make sure your form is good here. This is a good video on the low bar form -

For the OH press, your abs should be engage and tight, and when you lift the bar over your head, your forward should almost push forward to help get the bar up (it sounds weird, but it works). Here is a good video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJFjYyA40ss

OHP - If you suffer from duck-butt as I do, then when you are doing OHP it should feel as if your pelvis is tilted forward, like you are trying to touch it to your belly button, attempt to maintain during the lift. This will keep strain off your back by ensuring that you don't arch.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    May Progress .. I missed a couple sets so I feel behind.. about 3 1/2 wks

Finished:

Squats 145
    Bench 85
    Row 105 (feels weird, not sure I'm doing correctly)
    OHPress 70 (feel a stall coming on, rotator cuff issues, doing extra exercises after my 5x5's now to help)
    Deadlift 135

I need to lose more than 90 lbs. I haven't been losing so I think on my off days I'm going to try C25K.. or other low/medium intensity cardio and lower calories only on "off lifting days".
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options

OHP - If you suffer from duck-butt as I do, then when you are doing OHP it should feel as if your pelvis is tilted forward, like you are trying to touch it to your belly button, attempt to maintain during the lift. This will keep strain off your back by ensuring that you don't arch.

Good Advice.. going to try this on Wed. I'm struggling big time and I can feel my back arching in an effort to lift.. I like the idea of trying to focus on my abs. Thanks!!
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I found this video of a female doing Pendlay rows...but she's using 45 pound plates, so I think I'm going to have to suck it up and put mine on plates on the floor until I can up my weight.
    http://www.weight-lifting-complete.com/pendlay-rows-technique.html
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I found this video of a female doing Pendlay rows...but she's using 45 pound plates, so I think I'm going to have to suck it up and put mine on plates on the floor until I can up my weight.
    http://www.weight-lifting-complete.com/pendlay-rows-technique.html

Yeah I have watched that one. She makes it looks so easy...
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I'm also a runner. Anyone else doing SL and distance running?
    [/quote]

I'm also running, but relatively new to running. I'm slowly improving and there are a couple more runners in here I know! Great stats by the way and welcome:)
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I just started SL and I usually run 15-20 miles per week. I dont have any races upcoming so I plan to focus more on SL than running, so I probably will cut down to 12 or so miles per week, spread over 3 days. I dont want to hinder my SL progress though. I dont know what the recommendations are for days between SL either....ANyone have thoughts about this. Is it OK to do running or HIIT???
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Lifting on Sunday went ok, I got those little magnet weights to add 1.25 lbs to each side on my squat since I couldn't increase by 5.
    My overhead press was still at 45 and I couldn't complete 5x5.
    Deadlift I kept at 105 because it was so hard last time, but the first one felt easy. Prolly should have upped the weight but I didn't and the 5th one was super-difficult.
    So, I am starting to wonder how long I should just do strong lifts. Looking for advice because I have never been very successful building muscle so I have been trying to eat a lot more and just lift 3 days per week, and I have been doing it for a few weeks-I did starting strength for a couple of weeks before I switched to SL, so about 5 weeks altogether, and I am gaining weight but I am not sure it is muscle and my abdominal fat isn't improving and my clothes are getting tighter.
    I understand that I will gain fat and muscle, but I just wonder how long to do the "bulking" side of things, and should I do something else to lean, or just eat less?
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Bulking/cutting...you should still lift and if you are just starting out I wouldn't be concerned about altering your lifting routine to suit your surplus/deficit eating.

I have to fight the urge to switch plans every time I hear of a new program. Everything I've read, particularly to new (or even new-ish) lifters is that this is the time to take advantage of linear gains in your progress.

With *that* said, I took a break from SL5x5 to do a little "I wonder what my 1 rep max is?" playtime. I focused on powerlifting lifts only.

My morning looked like:
    Squats:
    BWx5
    45x5
    100x3
    125x1
    125x1

Bench
    45x5
    65x5
    75x3
    80x1

(Bench was really really fun and I normally hate bench. I think I've gotten more confident with my power-cage-as-spotter setup)

Deadlift
    135x3
    150x1
    150x1

I was all proud of this 'til I checked fitocracy and saw that I did 155x5 one day awhile ago. I'm certain that my form is better today so I'm chuffed. I'm anxious do some reps of 150 on Friday!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    kensky...playing around with the 1 rep max sounds like too much fun...must resist distraction
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I'm still coming back from my knee injury, so I'm not allowed to squat more than the empty bar. I've done bench presses at 60kg before (132lbs), but my arms where so sore afterwards I couldn't wash my hair, so I'm working my way up to it. hehe.

Squats: Empty Oly bar 20kg/44lbs
    BP: 40kg (88lbs)
    OHP: Empty Oly bar
    Row: 30kg (66lbs)
    DL: 40kg (88lbs).
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Everyone is doing so great!!!! You guys (well... gals) really kick some booty.

Here is where I'm at after a week into May.

Squats - 95lbs, WOOT 25lb plates like a BAWS!
    OHP - Just blasted through all 5 sets at 50lbs, finally!!! This lift is my nemesis.
    Deadlifts - 125lbs
    Bench - 70lbs
    Row - 75lbs
  • Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Bulking/cutting...you should still lift and if you are just starting out I wouldn't be concerned about altering your lifting routine to suit your surplus/deficit eating.

I have to fight the urge to switch plans every time I hear of a new program. Everything I've read, particularly to new (or even new-ish) lifters is that this is the time to take advantage of linear gains in your progress.

With *that* said, I took a break from SL5x5 to do a little "I wonder what my 1 rep max is?" playtime. I focused on powerlifting lifts only.

My morning looked like:
    Squats:
    BWx5
    45x5
    100x3
    125x1
    125x1

Bench
    45x5
    65x5
    75x3
    80x1

(Bench was really really fun and I normally hate bench. I think I've gotten more confident with my power-cage-as-spotter setup)

Deadlift
    135x3
    150x1
    150x1

I was all proud of this 'til I checked fitocracy and saw that I did 155x5 one day awhile ago. I'm certain that my form is better today so I'm chuffed. I'm anxious do some reps of 150 on Friday!
    [/quote

Great stats! Keep it up girl! :drinker:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow will be (I'm confident that I can do them):

Squat: 85
    Overhead press: 60
    Deadlift: 120

Yesterday's numbers:

Barbell row: 80
    Bench Press: 75

I'm on week 3 right now, so I'm just getting started. According to my most recent measurements, I'm up 2.5lbs, but down about 2% BF. I think the BF change is more due to a change in how I measure it, since the weights were really light at first. I hope/expect to see better results in a couple of weeks, since squats and bench press are now starting to get tough (OHP has been tough, row is still kind of easy, but I don't want to risk hurting my back by putting too much weight on it - it's still a good workout, just not as tough as some of the others).
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Last night - May 7:

Squats #80
    OHL #45 (have rotator cuff/shoulder issues, so am doing bar only until stronger)
    Deadlift #140
  • irridia
    Options
    Lifting on Sunday went ok, I got those little magnet weights to add 1.25 lbs to each side on my squat since I couldn't increase by 5.
    My overhead press was still at 45 and I couldn't complete 5x5.
    Deadlift I kept at 105 because it was so hard last time, but the first one felt easy. Prolly should have upped the weight but I didn't and the 5th one was super-difficult.
    So, I am starting to wonder how long I should just do strong lifts. Looking for advice because I have never been very successful building muscle so I have been trying to eat a lot more and just lift 3 days per week, and I have been doing it for a few weeks-I did starting strength for a couple of weeks before I switched to SL, so about 5 weeks altogether, and I am gaining weight but I am not sure it is muscle and my abdominal fat isn't improving and my clothes are getting tighter.
    I understand that I will gain fat and muscle, but I just wonder how long to do the "bulking" side of things, and should I do something else to lean, or just eat less?

try switching to dumbell presses until you can do 20-25lbs per arm. then go back to OHP. Hopefully someone will have some good info on bulking/cutting.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Today was my 4th workout?? I think...either way I failed at OHP :sad: :sad:
    I amsuper competitive so I hate to even fail against myself. BUt its ok. I'm over it now.

squats: 80
    OHP 55 failed last set, could only do 4reps.
    deads: 75

So i guess now when I go back to OHP I keep the weight the same??

Re: bulking/cutting: Sorry I cant offer any advice. I am eating at a slight 100-200 cal deficit and I just only started a week ago so results are pending.....

You ladies are impressive with your lifts!!!! THe squats are starting to get tough, and the bar hurts my back where it sits, so I cant imagine 100+ pounds.....
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options

My morning looked like:
    Squats:
    BWx5
    45x5
    100x3
    125x1
    125x1

Bench
    45x5
    65x5
    75x3
    80x1

Deadlift
    135x3
    150x1
    150x1

kensky, this is excellent, you killed those lifts!

my plan is to finish out 6-8 weeks of SL, then go for 1 rep max, then take 1-2 weeks off doing light lifting and more focus on cardio/HIIT.

it's been ingrained in me to cycle some, 6-8 weeks increasing heavy weights, then 1-2 weeks down time.
    i guess after the break i will pick up at slightly lower weight than i peaked at at the end of the 6-8 week heavy cycle.

this afternoon is OHP (which i failed on lats time)
    i'm working to get myself mentally prepared to MAKE IT HAPPEN this time :)