May Progress

Options

Replies

• Doreen_Murray
    Doreen_Murray Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Overheads are my nemesis.

I'm stuck at 50 lbs. I will deload to 45 next time, but I'm so frustrated with this one. I almost want to change to push press just so I can go up in weight.

Last time, I thought my form might be a little off, so I watched the Rippetoe videos again. My grip had become too narrow and I fixed that today, but I still couldn't finish at 50 lbs. Now, I started at 30, so there is some progress; it just doesn't feel like it.

Is there any ancillary work I could do that would help this? Dumbbell shoulder presses on my bench days or something?

Too funny because I'm trying to stop doing the push press so I can do the OHP! The one big difference, which Rae pointed out and I felt it during my sets on Friday, is the core work for OHP is great and I didn't feel it in my core at all on the push press. I think the smaller increment weights idea is great. I may have to do the same! Amazon...noted...
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Squats: 100
    BP: 75
    DL: 145

Sorry, while waiting in line at El Pollo Loco, I realized I recorded last night's workout wrong. I posted OP's when I actually did BP. I know nobody really cares, but since I'm just getting started here, I wanted to get my starting stats right. :-)
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know about the iron woody fractional plates, but I really can't afford to drop $50 on something right now.

I've seen some stuff about creating fractionals with chains from home depot; I might try that. . .
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Squats: 100
    BP: 75
    DL: 145

Sorry, while waiting in line at El Pollo Loco, I realized I recorded last night's workout wrong. I posted OP's when I actually did BP. I know nobody really cares, but since I'm just getting started here, I wanted to get my starting stats right. :-)
    Any reason why you did bench on deadlift day? You mentioned earlier about the starter program. Is that different than the online program? My understanding is you want to do bench followed by rows. Then workout B has OHP followed by deadlifts.
  • mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I know about the iron woody fractional plates, but I really can't afford to drop $50 on something right now.

I've seen some stuff about creating fractionals with chains from home depot; I might try that. . .

Yeah, $ is why I went with the ankle weights. I thought about chains but I'm pretty sure my boys would walk off with them.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was row day for me, and I think I may have tweaked my back. My lower back is a little sore, which could just be my back, or it could be tweaked. It does tend to get sore from time to time depending on specific workouts, but its more sore than normal....
    I have a hard time with form on the rows. Is it ok to sub in a row type move on the nautilus???
  • mamamudbug
    Options

I have a hard time with form on the rows. Is it ok to sub in a row type move on the nautilus???

I wouldn't. I don't think doing it on the machine would give you the same benefits. Maybe try deloading and work on form? I've done it several times and find it helps.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. I don't think doing it on the machine would give you the same benefits. Maybe try deloading and work on form? I've done it several times and find it helps.
    Yep, I'm a fan of deloading to work on form. I've done it extensively with squats. Tonight, I did it with OHP, from 65 lbs to 55 lbs. I had not failed 3x yet, only twice, but I felt my form was really suffering, so I went back down to 55 lbs. It was great tonight, really was able to focus on form instead of "oh *kitten*, this is heavy!"
  • micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    Last Wednesday I had my 5th session. I fixed my squat grip and it felt so much better! Squatted 40, and I'm going to try the empty bar today. Might struggle as I'm really sore from a football tournament all weekend, and the last time I squatted was last Wednesday (missed Friday cos I was travelling).

OHP today. I really struggled with this last week so I think it'd be silly to try to go to 40. Gonna stick on 30 and try to fix the form.

Deadlift, going to 75. Do you think height wise this is ok or do I need to stack plates under?
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    thanks!!
    too bad, I would have loved any excuse to avoid the row!:laugh:
  • mamamudbug
    Options
    thanks!!
    too bad, I would have loved any excuse to avoid the row!:laugh:

:laugh: You're not alone...:flowerforyou:
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    Question for you ladies...
    Last Sunday or Monday I started my second week of SL, so workout B was the 1st workout.
    Due to a really crappy week,I wasn't able to get to the gym again.

Should I just "redo" my week 2? Also, I'll be in NYC the following week with no way to lift, so I'll be forced to take a week off then.

I'd love to hear your thoughts...
  • Doreen_Murray
    Options
    Question for you ladies...
    Last Sunday or Monday I started my second week of SL, so workout B was the 1st workout.
    Due to a really crappy week,I wasn't able to get to the gym again.

Should I just "redo" my week 2? Also, I'll be in NYC the following week with no way to lift, so I'll be forced to take a week off then.

I'd love to hear your thoughts...

I stick to alternating when I have a couple of weeks like that to keep the different muscle groups and lifts fresh for when you get back into it, but I'm guessing it wouldn't make a huge difference either way! :)
  • Doreen_Murray
    Options
    Boo to Monday...

Squats 110
    Pend Row 90 failed set 3, 85 @ 5x5
    Bench 65 fail set 1, 60 failed set 3, 55 @ 5x5
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,453 Member
    Options
    I hope it's OK to jump in here! I'm new here, new to lifting, new to the programme and trying to do it at home with just a barbell and weights. I'd been planning to start the New Rules of Lifting for Women programme, but when the book arrived it seemed too complicated. Stronglifts only had a few movements to learn.

I did Workout A two days ago, but obviously couldn't do the bench press without equipment. I'm substituting modified press-ups instead. I can't do a single press-up so am doing them on an incline to start with. I haven't included the barbell in the weight because I don't know how much it weighs. Squat 45 lb. Pendlay row 65 lb.

I did Workout B today. Squat 50 lb. Deadlift 95 lb. I tried the overhead press at 45 lb as recommended, but it wasn't going anywhere. It felt so heavy that I dropped right down to 30 lb. I managed a few, but then couldn't move it at all. I felt as if I should still be able to lift it, but it just wouldn't move! I suppose that's "failure". I haven't tried with a lighter weight, but next time I might start at 20 lb and try to build up from there. I'm not sure why I found this so difficult.

I also had a problem with the squat as it's so difficult to judge parallel without a mirror that I decided to squat right down. And then I couldn't get up again! So I need to work on that. It's the last/lowest bit of the squat that I find the hardest.
  • Just_Dot
    Options
    Welcome!

I went ahead and just restarted week 2...
    Squats: 90lbs
    OHP: 55
    DL: 95

I'm a skeered about 60 lb OHP. My first 2 sets, I can pump out no prob, but I struggle on reps 3-5 for sets 3-5. Coincidence?
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Well, you're already superstrong, Dot (aka the other Amy:). I have not been increasing 5 lbs each time, usually 2.5 with the little magnetic weights...
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I also had a problem with the squat as it's so difficult to judge parallel without a mirror that I decided to squat right down. And then I couldn't get up again! So I need to work on that. It's the last/lowest bit of the squat that I find the hardest.

Could you get a mirror? or record yourself on your phone or other device, but if you could squat even without weight in a mirror you might be able to tell your brain what parrallel feels like. I can't see a mirror when I am squating in the power rack, but there are other mirrors and just get the form right and see how it feels.
  • dawnemjh
    Options
    Has anyone gained weight doing this, even with calorie deficit???

I started SL the first week of May and weight was 173. One week later down to 172 and the past 10 days weight is holding steady at 175, which is 15 pounds higher than I was a year ago. THe scale is totally giong in the wrong direction and I am getting freaked out.
    Measurements are about the same. Hard to tell, because not sure if I measure in exactly the same spot, but if there is change, its negligible.
    My clothes have been getting tighter as the scale has creeped up.....The past 2 weeks I cut back cals a little and this week I am cutting back more.....
  • Just_Dot
    Options
    Oh, derp, Amy. I forgot I could use the 2.5 pounders. :laugh: