Gluten-Free Vegan Recipe Swap

Options
Talazws
Talazws Posts: 101 Member
Hey everyone, I just joined this group and I noticed there aren't any topics/posts happening! I was really excited to connect with other xgfx-ers!

SO, I propose a recipe swap. What are your favorite gluten free, vegan recipes? Please post! I will start with one of mine:

Sweet Potato Lentil Curry-
Serves 6, approximately 150 calories a serving. Low fat and a good source of protein.

Ingredients:

Water
1 medium sweet potato, cubed
1 cup frozen spinach
1 onion, diced
2 tomatoes, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
2 cups dried lentils
Pinch of dried seaweed
Curry powder, black pepper, sea salt, and cumin to taste

*I have a tendency to never measure anything, so feel free to adjust the amount of ingredients you use to taste. It won't change much!

Rinse your lentils, and then add them to a big pot. Fill the pot with double the water you need to cover the lentils. Add the seaweed and spices, and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Cook for about 20 minutes, until lentils are half cooked.

Add the onions, garlic, tomatoes, sweet potato, and spinach. Cook for another 20 minutes, or until lentils and potatoes are done. Now enjoy! Makes a great meal on its own, and tastes even better as a leftover!

Replies

• _katerose
    _katerose Posts: 8
    Options
    yum sounds amazing :)

one of my favourites at the moment is chickpea quinoa veggie patties :)

in a food processor combine chickpeas, grated zuchinni and white onion until mixed. add spices i use tumeric garlic powder and thai spice but you can use anything. add this mix to a bowl and add 1/2 cup cooked quinoa and 2/3 cup gluten free breadcrumbs until combined. if dry add a little coconut milk. form into patties and cook in a frying pan! yummo
  • _katerose
    Options
    ooops forgot to add in a 1/2 cup canned corn and chopped coriander :)
  • Talazws
    Options
    This reminds me of my favorite burger recipe! I combine a can of black beans, 1/4 cup oatmeal (some people can't eat oats, or just steal cut oats. I luckily don't seem to have a sensitivity to them), one carrot shredded, 1/4 cup frozen corn, and some spices-- usually cumin and chilli powder. I use a masher and squish everything together in a bowl, and then use my hands to form 4-6 patties. I place them on a non-stick pan or a regular pan covered in foil, and then bake in the oven at 400 for about 20 minutes. Then flip them, and bake until they are nice and browned. I love to top them with salsa or hummus, on a bed of greens! So good! Baked sweet potato fries make a great side!
  • _katerose
    Options
    yummmmm they sound amazing. a lot healthier baked then fried as well im going to try that next time! :)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite dishes is pretty easy--make lentils and quinoa in the rice cooker, and then throw them on an Ezekiel gluten free tortilla with some Daiya cheese, mustard, and frozen veggies of choice (I like peppers, spinach, and onions). Heat in the microwave.

This also works well with some hummus and cucumbers and tomato instead of the mustard and other frozen veggies.

Right now while I am trying to shed the last bit of weight, I am relying pretty heavily on protein smoothies, but now I think I'm going to end up making some quinoa and lentils this weekend. :)
  • IAmABetterMe
    IAmABetterMe Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Israeli Cucumber Salad! - YUMMY

3 cucumbers
    1 red bell pepper
    3 scallions
    olive oil
    lemon juice
    salt
    pepper
    Preparation:
    1. Chop the vegetables into small pieces. The secret to a really good Israeli salad is finely chopped vegetables.
    2. Immediately before serving, season with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper.

It's always better the second day and add some Hummus on top and YUMMY
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hello, I'm new here.

I've got GF focaccia bread in the oven now. Smells so good! Made from soaked whole grains, no flours or mixes. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Laura
  • Talazws
    Options
    I just made two pizzas this past week using polenta as the crust. One 12" crust was only 260 calories, cut into four slices is only 65 calories per slice. Of course, you then add the toppings!

Here is a link to a recipe I used. I accidentally forgot to add olive oil, and it still came out fine. I also upped the cornmeal to 1 cup (and water to 4 cups, that is the ratio I always use to make polenta) to make two 12 inch crusts. I sprinkled corn meal on the pans instead of greasing them.

I used tomato sauce, peppers, onions, and soy cheese for toppings, and it came out great!

http://withoutadornment.wordpress.com/2011/02/08/vegan-polenta-pizza/
  • Talazws
    Options
    edited because I posted the same thing twice!
  • Talazws
    Options
    Hello, I'm new here.

I've got GF focaccia bread in the oven now. Smells so good! Made from soaked whole grains, no flours or mixes. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Laura

How did your bread turn out?
  • catdoc1
    Options
    I like it very much. I'm going to try baking regular whole grain bread today. I'll let you know!
  • catdoc1
    Options
  • catdoc1
    Options
    Here's a very quick and kid-friendly recipe that I make:

Chik'n Vegetable Noodle Soup

Spray a heavy-bottomed large sauce pan or soup pot with cooking spray. Saute a chopped onion or leeks and 2 large chopped carrots* for about 8 minutes.

When they're done, add 1 cup each: frozen peas, frozen corn, frozen green beans, and frozen edamame*

(or skip the individual frozen vegetables and carrots and add an entire package of Trader Joe's Organic Vegetable Foursome).

Add 1 can (drained) of garbanzo beans or two cups cooked garbanzo beans. Then add 2 tablespoons chicken-flavored "Better Than Bouillon" plus 5-6 cups water, 1/2 tsp each garlic powder, thyme, sage, and rosemary, and 1/4 tsp black pepper. Bring to a soft boil, add 1 cup uncooked rice pasta or 2 cups cooked brown rice. Simmer about 15 minutes, until pasta is al dente.

This turns out every time and my family loves it! I often make it ahead in the morning, except the pasta (the frozen veg and cold water helps cool it down to put in the frig), and then my husband reheats it and adds the pasta at dinner time.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    New group member here. 20+ years of vegie eating... my life among the carnivores (my family). My favorite recipe that all my family loves is a polenta and tomato dish. BUT I just started looking at gluten content so I don't know if polenta is GF or not.
    I buy the pre-packaged tubes when I'm too lazy to make it from scratch. Slice them thick, layer them stacked in a very lightly oiled pan (I use good olive oil) -- thick slice of tomato, thin slice of mozzarella or other semi-soft/hard cheese, thick slide of polenta. Sprinkle rosemary and thyme on it (you can really vary this part in a lot of different ways) and lastly drizzle a bit more olive oil on top. Then bake in 350 degree oven for about 20-30 minutes till the cheese is sort of melty and the polenta is hot. Take it out, let it cool a bit, and serve. Perfect!
  • Talazws
    Options
    New group member here. 20+ years of vegie eating... my life among the carnivores (my family). My favorite recipe that all my family loves is a polenta and tomato dish. BUT I just started looking at gluten content so I don't know if polenta is GF or not.
    I buy the pre-packaged tubes when I'm too lazy to make it from scratch. Slice them thick, layer them stacked in a very lightly oiled pan (I use good olive oil) -- thick slice of tomato, thin slice of mozzarella or other semi-soft/hard cheese, thick slide of polenta. Sprinkle rosemary and thyme on it (you can really vary this part in a lot of different ways) and lastly drizzle a bit more olive oil on top. Then bake in 350 degree oven for about 20-30 minutes till the cheese is sort of melty and the polenta is hot. Take it out, let it cool a bit, and serve. Perfect!

Yes, polenta is GF and it is a favorite of mine. I do something similar with soy cheese, tomato, and veggies. I call them mini polenta pizzas! So good!
  • Talazws
    Options
    Headed to a potluck staff meeting tonight, and I just made Mango Blackbean Salsa to bring.

1 ripe mango
    2 cans black beans
    1 red onion
    Cumin
    Hot sauce
    Cilantro (fresh is best, I still need to pick some up to add it)

Cut up the mango, cilantro, and onion, and mix everything together in a bowl. Add the beans. Add the cumin and hot sauce to taste. Mix it up, and refrigerate until ready to serve. This is great as a side salad (even though it is a salsa) or to put in tacos, on corn chips, with brown rice, etc. My cousin's Cape Verdean (sp?) husband made this for a party once, and it is now a favorite :)
  • lisabinco
    Options
    Sounds delicious. I'm going to make that one this week.
    AND I'm delighted to hear that polenta is GF. I have just started going gluten-free and I find it hard so far. I already don't eat meat, then had to cut back on sodium (high blood pressure because I got too fat - runs in my family), and now my 2 sisters swear by GF and want me to try it. Said it might help with my "raccoon eyes" - those black rings I have had for years - and might improve my mood which has been kinda crabby lately.
    Do you have some recommendations for web sites with advice for the newbie GF?
  • lisabinco
    Options
    I'm a newbie GF and so far it's hard. Do you have some website recommendations for bread? I really miss bread or crackers. I used to love to bake so maybe it's time to get back to that.
  • Talazws
    Options
    I just made this delishes Sweet Potato Hash, from food.com. It is really, really good! A great source of iron!

http://www.food.com/recipe/sweet-potato-hash-472487
  • emscat78
    emscat78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm new to GF but have been a vegetarian for 23 years. I'm really looking for some lower carb/higher protein options.

I made some Sweet Potato Chick Pea Koftas last night -- they were amazing!

1 1/2 cup cooked Sweet Potato (1 med sweet potato)
    2 cups Garbanzos
    6 Tbls GF flour ( I used 3 Tbls Almond flour/ 3 Tbls Quinoa flour)
    1 Tbls Minced fresh Ginger
    2 Cloves Garlic
    2 tsp Cumin
    2 Tbls fresh lemon juice
    1 tsp salt
    1 cup soybeans

In food processor, blend all ingredients except flour and soybeans. Transfer to bowl and stir in flour and soybeans. Form into patties and over medium heat, saute in olive oil for about 8 minutes each side (until lightly browned and heated through). My batch made 14 small patties. I ate two with a yogurt raita on top. Yummy! This recipe was modified from Mollie Katzen's Vegetable Heaven.