What is the hardest lift for you?

Options
13»

Replies

• LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    Finally broke through the 100# overhead press.. took a couple weeks and a drop back to 95#, but I finally got it. :drinker:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Finally broke through the 100# overhead press.. took a couple weeks and a drop back to 95#, but I finally got it. :drinker:

Woohoo way to go! That one is a b*tch!
  • winf
    winf Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Rows. I hate rows. I think it my very vell be impossible to do the stronglifts style of rows with proper form and frequently find myself reverting to typical rows rowed to the stomach in order to keep my back straight.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Rows. I hate rows. I think it my very vell be impossible to do the stronglifts style of rows with proper form and frequently find myself reverting to typical rows rowed to the stomach in order to keep my back straight.

I'm confused. The rows in Starting Strength, where the description specifies breaking the bar off the floor with straight elbows and a sight hip extension, then rowing the bar to the upper stomach, are identical to the rows in Stronglifts. Not saying these are easy, but the only difference I see in form between these and typical rows is starting from the floor and the hip extension that brings your back into the usual start position. I like these better because I get a break when the bar goes back to the floor and I get to reset my back position. What am I missing as I keep hearing similar complaints? Unless you don't maintain your back parallel to the ground when you're doing common rows.
  • winf
    Options
    Stronglifts utilizes the "pendlay" row, where you stand with your back paralell to the floor and row from the floor to your chest. The movement is supposed to look like the opposite of a bench press. Rowing to my chest without rounding my back is hard for me. When I get the bar about 80% up I start to raise up. I can do the same weight rowing from the floor to my stomach (starting strength style) and keep my back straight though.
  • winf
    Options
    Rows in strong lifts and starting strength both differ from "common" rows, in the most typical variation of raows you see people doing you stand with a straight back at a 45 degree or so angle and row to your stomach and return the weight to full extension of your arms so that you are still holding the weight at just above your knees. Common rows you dont stand bent over paralel to the floor and you are not returning the weight to the floor on each rep.
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Rows in strong lifts and starting strength both differ from "common" rows, in the most typical variation of raows you see people doing you stand with a straight back at a 45 degree or so angle and row to your stomach and return the weight to full extension of your arms so that you are still holding the weight at just above your knees. Common rows you dont stand bent over paralel to the floor and you are not returning the weight to the floor on each rep.

You're right I guess that most people don't do common rows with their back parallel to the ground, but that is how I learned to do them, so the transition was easier for me I guess. I believe that they are intended to be done with back parallel and, as with many other exercises, form has been compromised in order to lift heavier weights. The fact that Rippetoe refers to rows from the floor as classic rows implies this is what a BBB row was intended to be. But I mostly commented because you mentioned having to revert to rows rowed to the stomach...which is how the classic row is described by Rippetoe, so you're not that far off. Maybe with a slightly different angle, but you're supposed to slam the bar into your stomach. Before reading Rip's description, I had always rowed to my ribcage with common rows.