Why am I so darn hungry?

Options
Background Info:

5'9"
171 lb
22 years old
31% body fat (hydrostatic body comp. test)
TDEE 2800-3200 (bodybugg)
Cardio 5x/week, strength 3x/week
Upped calories 3 weeks ago from 1800-2000 to 2200-2500 (pure intake, NOT net cals).

Ever since I increased my calories I'm hungry all the time! I eat, get really full, and then an hour later I'm hungry again. Is it really just my metabolism revving up, or am I doing something wrong? Feel free to check out my diary.

I've lost about a half inch in my waist and bust since upping my cals but my weight has not budged for over a month, which is why I upped my calories in the first place. I'm slightly frustrated and tempted to cut back down..

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    I think it is your metabolism. I have the same issue as well and so do many others after upping calories.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Its your body, wanting fuel :)

I get silly hungry at times even though I eat 3k + calories
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I am hungry 24/7 in a good way "Fuel me" instead of before "I'm flipping starving ya bastid, feed me!"
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I am hungry 24/7 in a good way "Fuel me" instead of before "I'm flipping starving ya bastid, feed me!"

:laugh: love it!
  • missdimpley
    missdimpley Posts: 192
    Options
    yEA!! I just started last week. i'm always hungry within1 or 2 hours. I still ahve the bloated and fullness in my stomach. I guess its working well.
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I just upped my calories couple days ago and I noticed that I'm seriously hungry. I woke up this morning and felt like I was starving.
  • MeDoula
    MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
    Options

lol
  • AmyzNewGroove
    AmyzNewGroove Posts: 144 Member
    Options

^^ lol yes this!

I feel like i opened pandora's hunger box, and now I've created a monster!! Always hungry. Always!!!!! I eat my TDEE cut every day...but I've been considering upping caz Ive plateaued... So what are all you other food monsters doing? Staying at TDEE cut or eatIng until your satisfied?!
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    This is a good thing, obviously it means your body is burning alot more calories due to your high intake. This is a good thing, it means you will more likely burn fat rather then muscle when running a calorie deficit. You should also notice other things increasing such as bowel movements, and the need to keep moving during the day.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I have the same experience from time to time, then it seems like it levels out. I say if you're hungry, eat. I know protein/fat rich foods seem to help. Not sure what your workouts are like, but Ive found Im particularly ravenous after an intense lifting session. I am kind of at a plateau, not sure what I will do yet. I had a little injury so I've had to stay away from the heavy weights, hoping to get back to it in a few days.
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    I'm eating more, hungrier, burning more calories... yet I haven't busted through this month long plateau! WTF lol
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I'm eating more, hungrier, burning more calories... yet I haven't busted through this month long plateau! WTF lol

Oh, it's coming, girl. You're showing all the signs (ravaging hunger, being an important one). The metabolism has to kick into high gear to start processing larger amounts of food. I always tell people to watch for that all important sign of HUNGER :love:

That baby is on the WAY!

You're experiencing the labor pains....... :laugh:

Kiki
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options

Oh, it's coming, girl. You're showing all the signs (ravaging hunger, being an important one). The metabolism has to kick into high gear to start processing larger amounts of food. I always tell people to watch for that all important sign of HUNGER :love:

That baby is on the WAY!

Kiki

hahaha
  • KarinFit4Life
    KarinFit4Life Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    LOL!! I love your reply Kiki!! Gives me hope! ;)
  • rachmass1
    rachmass1 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Love this thread! I too upped my calories about 2 weeks ago after getting a FitBit and seeing what I actually burn and I feel constantly hungry. I have started adding chia seeds to meals just to feel a bit more full and am glad to see that it is actually a good sign. Yeah!!!!

I eat a bunch of small meals throughout the day instead of 3 larger meals. Was reading about Leptin in "The Leptin Diet" book and the author says we are hungry all the time because leptin isn't activated properly until 3-4 hours after eating and recommends eating less often. I put it down as there is no way in hell I can go 4 hours without fuel, except at night.
  • led6777
    Options

That baby is on the WAY!

Kiki

Thanks Kiki! LOL you are hilarious. I'll check back in when I bust this sucker out!
  • led6777
    Options
    Love this thread! I too upped my calories about 2 weeks ago after getting a FitBit and seeing what I actually burn and I feel constantly hungry. I have started adding chia seeds to meals just to feel a bit more full and am glad to see that it is actually a good sign. Yeah!!!!

I eat a bunch of small meals throughout the day instead of 3 larger meals. Was reading about Leptin in "The Leptin Diet" book and the author says we are hungry all the time because leptin isn't activated properly until 3-4 hours after eating and recommends eating less often. I put it down as there is no way in hell I can go 4 hours without fuel, except at night.

I forgot I have a bag of chia seeds in the back of my fridge. I am going to start using those again, that's an awesome idea!
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I got jokingly accused of having a tapeworm today.

I was all hahaha on the outside.

On the inside I'm thinking my metabolism is a well oiled machine. No tapeworm required. So suck it.
  • lillebanon
    lillebanon Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I was ravenous all day yesterday (even with eating 190g of protein), and BAM, dropped two "new" pounds this morning!
    (Today I had celebratory donuts....and cheddar bay biscuits....and pizza... yeah. Back to business tomorrow.)
  • cafeconleche
    Options
    It's only my first day and I can't believe how hungry I feel. I have already busted through my calories. I need to get a hrm so I have a better idea of what I'm burning. Good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. I thought my inner fat kid was just begging:) lol