Solo Yoga

Options
13»

Replies

• AmyBoogie
    AmyBoogie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with not having a routine and needing to be talked through a series. But if you're feeling like you need to, practice a routine several times until you memorize it. It can be your go to routine if you can't get a voice to talk you through something. Then you have a choice to do the routine you know or a fresh one.

I have a routine because of what I choose to practice. In Ashtanga there is a set series of poses and in a set a sequence. It took me a while to memorize it all but now my body does it without me even thinking. Before I settle on this practice, I needed to listen to something. Some days I'll feel like mixing it up and I'll put on a video but more likely these days I do my routine.

Just because you follow an Ashtanga routine doesn't mean you need to stick to it unless that particular practice is your goal. I think the poses flow well and they clicked in my mind. I have my full routine Opening, primary, and closing. But there are days when I don't have over an hour to practice so I have an abbreviated routine that I do. Opening, primary up to Navasana (Boat) and then finishing. It skips about 30 minutes in there. If I'm really low on time, I can skip every other one of the Vinyasas

Here's a pdf link that you print off the sequence http://www.ashtanga-yoga-canada.com/support-files/AYVic-Primary-sm.pdf

This is just what I do and I'm by no means saying that is the only style of yoga. this is just my choice and I know I've gotten long winded here. sorry guys. Find the poses you want to do, print it out. Find a free routine. Figure out what you want to do and print a cheat sheet until you memorize it all.
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much AmyBoogie, I really do appreciate the genuine help. The print outs will be exceptionally useful.
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I tend to be a class joiner, but that has proven to be difficult lately with my schedule. I have a few dvds to follow at home and a couple of books. I find that even though I am a reader, books for physical activities don't really work for me. I do much better with verbal instructions and physical cues. I do wonder for those of you who practice primarily on your own do you watch dvds (or read books) at memorize the moves first? do you practice along with the dvd? Or do you read through a pose sequence and practice that until you are ready to move on and then read through the next sequence to practice? I feel as though I am supposed to know what I am doing when I get on my mat but then I find myself a bit lost unless someone is talking me through a series.

Sunshine,

I also have a fall back memorized routine, but I also use dvds, online video, or on occassion, yoga journal. I find dvds and online video work a bit better than a book or yoga journal. For video I usually listen and practice just as i would if I were in a class receiving instructions. Others here have mentioned several online resources for video.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I tend to be a class joiner, but that has proven to be difficult lately with my schedule. I have a few dvds to follow at home and a couple of books. I find that even though I am a reader, books for physical activities don't really work for me. I do much better with verbal instructions and physical cues. I do wonder for those of you who practice primarily on your own do you watch dvds (or read books) at memorize the moves first? do you practice along with the dvd? Or do you read through a pose sequence and practice that until you are ready to move on and then read through the next sequence to practice? I feel as though I am supposed to know what I am doing when I get on my mat but then I find myself a bit lost unless someone is talking me through a series.

Many times, I write down what I plan to do first. Other times, I'll set a timer for 1-5 minute intervals and do poses that way - for example 1 minute standing poses and do all the standing poses I can think of or all that I have energy for. Or I do 5 minute intervals: 5 minutes of abs, 5 minutes of back work, 5 minutes of twists, etc. Occasionally, when I don't want to think, I'll do a John Schumacher audio (ihanuman.com). I prefer audio to video because I don't have to look at the screen. You do have to know what pose he is talking about though.
    Hope that helps.
  • amcoltlghgirl
    Options
    I only do yoga at home. I have an app on my phone, so I can do yoga on the road. I have dvd's that I do at home.