Don't make this blunder....

Options

Replies

• angelew
    angelew Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Do you think i should do a full reset, knowing htat I am up 7lbs when upping from 1500-1800 for about 2 months, and not knowing if it has stabilized there? I know this is the hardest thing but I just want reassruance that this will work as in my weight might even go up 12 lbs total, but i will lose that and more...

I am kind of in raynn1's situation where I am so close to going back down to 1500 calories...

ive also been EXTREMELY tired lately, and ravenously hungry on some days, which from reading posts, is a sign that tell me its working but measurements and scale says otherwise...

Me too! I'm just starting week 4 of eating TDEE - 15% after years of on and off calorie deprivation. The scale went up a pound each week for the first two weeks and I was afraid to weigh myself last week! Clothes are tighter so inches aren't disappearing. Cannot imagine eating at TDEE....
  • ji225
    ji225 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly not going to give up yet, and I was of th same thoughts really, as in nothing is shifting and that my body is in the process of sorting itself out perhaps, though not quite there yet, and though it feels scary, I am going to continue cos I feeel so much stronger. The gain seems to have stopped at about 6lbs - I for sure look better fed than I did - but I hate all the puffiness. I have been unconciuosly upping so that I am now on about 2100 per day on average,, so will carry on til I feel my body is ready to take a cut, and that oddly enough doesnt feel right yet, though of course I want to look good on the beach!

The one Odd thing I have noticed and Im not sure if it is related, is that I dont seem to get as hot in the heat or cold in the cold - is that possisble and a normal thing to notice if the body is resetting in this manner! I always used to suffer with extremes in temp, but now it doesnt seem to bother me half as much :) of course none of my non workout clothes fit me anymore (too tight) but I will have to live with that for now.

Jenny
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Wow - there are so many of us. I went straight to TDEE-15 also. I've decided to do a maintenance week, but now I'm wondering if I'm in the same boat and need to do a full reset. I've never done that. And it's true - everything seems to be grinding to a halt. It's scary to think of going up - especially since I've made decent progress. I definitely wouldn't want to put on anything that's come off. But if I get the number right, I shouldn't. That's the scary part for me. I *think* I should be at 2400 calories for maintenance - a bit higher probably once I'm back into running (bum pinky toe right now - on forced break).

So it sounds like there is a group of us that need to do this. Would it be easier for us to do this together - perhaps have a running thread to check in and stay accountable to the reset. I know that I will want to cheat and go back to the cut as soon as possible. Anyone else feel that way?

Guilty....Was sort of thinking of using my 3 weeks in to count for part of the eight since I know some days I was so hungry I did eat at TDEE:blushing:

But I have been talking myself out of it. I have a girls trip to Vegas and if I stop short it would be before the trip, if I do a full proper 8 wks its a little after so might as well wait until after!
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Wow - there are so many of us. I went straight to TDEE-15 also. I've decided to do a maintenance week, but now I'm wondering if I'm in the same boat and need to do a full reset. I've never done that. And it's true - everything seems to be grinding to a halt. It's scary to think of going up - especially since I've made decent progress. I definitely wouldn't want to put on anything that's come off. But if I get the number right, I shouldn't. That's the scary part for me. I *think* I should be at 2400 calories for maintenance - a bit higher probably once I'm back into running (bum pinky toe right now - on forced break).

So it sounds like there is a group of us that need to do this. Would it be easier for us to do this together - perhaps have a running thread to check in and stay accountable to the reset. I know that I will want to cheat and go back to the cut as soon as possible. Anyone else feel that way?
    I just started EM2WL two weeks ago and bumped up to 1800. Before that I did 2 weeks at 1200 when I started MFP then moved up to 1500 for 3 weeks. Then I found EM2WL and went up to 1800. I lost 5 lb over a month with the 1200 and 1500 calories. Then started p90 and gained 4 lb in one week! Then went to 1800 cal and gained 1 lb. On Friday, I weighed in and lost 3.8 lb.

Now I'm not sure what to do! 1800 is my TDEE-20%. So, do I just go up to 2250 (TDEE) for 8 weeks? Is it a definite that this works???? If not, I'd be really upset with myself... Perhaps a group of us entering terrifying territory together would be beneficial!
  • TripleJ3
    Options
    Do you think i should do a full reset, knowing htat I am up 7lbs when upping from 1500-1800 for about 2 months, and not knowing if it has stabilized there? I know this is the hardest thing but I just want reassruance that this will work as in my weight might even go up 12 lbs total, but i will lose that and more...

I am kind of in raynn1's situation where I am so close to going back down to 1500 calories...

ive also been EXTREMELY tired lately, and ravenously hungry on some days, which from reading posts, is a sign that tell me its working but measurements and scale says otherwise...

Me too! I'm just starting week 4 of eating TDEE - 15% after years of on and off calorie deprivation. The scale went up a pound each week for the first two weeks and I was afraid to weigh myself last week! Clothes are tighter so inches aren't disappearing. Cannot imagine eating at TDEE....

I am hoping that since I am 3 weeks in, I won't gain much more at TDEE since I have already gained some. I hate that I am doing this right at summer time:grumble: but I have been loving EMTLW so much so far and have had so many other positive things happen that I am willing to just keep on going through with it all!
  • TripleJ3
    Options

I cannot give you any promises that this will work - I'm still a work in progress myself...only Kiki and Lucia's testimonies are proof of this right now (because they've gone through the entire process). But I can promise you that I FULLY BELIEVE IN THIS GAME PLAN. The facts are all lined up...they make sense. Besides, I already know that Low Cal Dieting is a trap...why on earth would I go back there before giving this a full whirl?

The reset is your decision, but personally I say go for it. You'd only be selling yourself (and this process) short if you don't give it a full tryout. It might not be a pretty 8 weeks for us, but I believe they are necessary.

This is what keeps me going. All those years of heavy exercise and low calories didn't get me to goal. I have tried and tried and I was miserable and it just didn't work. I am fully in this to go all the way through. When I found EMTLW I was basically ready to throw in the towel for good anyway and let come what may!! But this way feels so promising. Its a well laid out plan that makes me feel like I have some control over my life.

Yes, it will take a bit to get there and thats okay. I am so much happier today than I was at 1300/1500 calories and still wearing the same size so for me it has been worth clothes being a little snug.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    This is making me nervous. First of all my TDEE average via BMF is over 3000 calories. Secondly, it seems like so many people AREN'T losing. the ones losing seem a lot harder to come by. Help me! I'm losing faith!! Reel me back in!
  • tenpets
    tenpets Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    This is making me nervous. First of all my TDEE average via BMF is over 3000 calories. Secondly, it seems like so many people AREN'T losing. the ones losing seem a lot harder to come by. Help me! I'm losing faith!! Reel me back in!

I'm wondering the same thing, too! And just as afraid!

Exacly WHO are the folks who have gone up to TDEE for 8 wks and then started to lose regularly??? If you are one of them, please post here!
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!,

I am in my 4th week of doing a reset. I thought I had enough calories through the computer equations (scooby`s, fat2fit) But using a calorie monitor (fitbit style) My maintenance are actually around 2700 a day. No, I am not finding it hard to eat them. But I feel fat and awful and ugly. My clothes are all tight and I can not wait to start my cut. My cut will be about 2400 a day.

4 more weeks! Arrrgh! I gained about 7 lbs so far. But it is TOM an will have a more accurate number on Thursday weigh in. If your interested check out the Metabolism Repair Mode group. I post a thread every week on thursdays about this weeks repair results. Or add me as a friend.

Good luck all!
  • Symonep
    Symonep Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It's hard isn't it...I have only been on this ride for a week. And I am trouble eating at cut, ket alone TDEE. I am unsure if I should be doing a reset. I haven't really been on low cal for too long, 5 months or so.
    Should I just stick it out at cut or go into reset mode?? I have a wedding in October I want to have at least lost something by then!!
  • missdimpley
    missdimpley Posts: 192
    Options
    I can't imagine eating at TDEE right now. I eat that once a week though. I just need time to get my body used to 15% cut. My goal is not to lose weight, but to lose fat and gain muscles. So I'm ok.. this is going to be my lifestyle, not diet. I'm trying to get scale out of my head :( but seriously, TDEE is too much for me to have right now. lol :)

but I will definitely ahve a diet break for one week whenever I need it.. probably at end of june or beginning of july.. we shall wait and see :) i'm starting my 4th week tomorrow :)
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options

You have got to be one of the most active people on this board and as I've watched your posts and concerns I keep wanting to just say STOP EXERCISING! but I know that is not an option for you. :ohwell: In all honesty though, you take a look at what some athletes eat and your 3000 might not look so bad! :laugh: you have to fuel what you do, and you DO a LOT.

In regards to wanting to see people who have lost using this method...I want to remind you all that this group is only a few months old...that's why it's hard to see the results of properly doing this method...this method takes TIME. And, on top of that so many of us are so scared to do it the way the founder (Lucia) and Kiki did that our chances of being a success story along with them get even slimmer.

We are the ones that will BE the success stories...we just have to be willing to be at the start of the line and follow the examples that Kiki and Lucia laid out in full.

Basically here's what I think: If I have to go through Hell to get out of Purgatory, then SO be it! I'm tired of the low cal trap. I'm simply not going back.
  • jyska
    Options
    I can't imagine eating at TDEE right now. I eat that once a week though. I just need time to get my body used to 15% cut. My goal is not to lose weight, but to lose fat and gain muscles. So I'm ok.. this is going to be my lifestyle, not diet. I'm trying to get scale out of my head :( but seriously, TDEE is too much for me to have right now. lol :)

but I will definitely ahve a diet break for one week whenever I need it.. probably at end of june or beginning of july.. we shall wait and see :) i'm starting my 4th week tomorrow :)

If you need to take time ramping up that is totally ok. I found it unbelievably awful at first trying to eat all the cals I needed to. Just remember to give it a full 8 weeks once you get there. :smile:
  • jyska
    Options
    It's hard isn't it...I have only been on this ride for a week. And I am trouble eating at cut, ket alone TDEE. I am unsure if I should be doing a reset. I haven't really been on low cal for too long, 5 months or so.
    Should I just stick it out at cut or go into reset mode?? I have a wedding in October I want to have at least lost something by then!!

You can stick it out at cut, but as you can see in my example, I didn't lose at cut, I just gained and stabilized. Some do lose at cut at first. When you decide to do a reset (if you decide to do a reset) is up to you. Find a time that you are comfortable with and can give it the full 8 weeks.
  • jyska
    Options

I just started EM2WL two weeks ago and bumped up to 1800. Before that I did 2 weeks at 1200 when I started MFP then moved up to 1500 for 3 weeks. Then I found EM2WL and went up to 1800. I lost 5 lb over a month with the 1200 and 1500 calories. Then started p90 and gained 4 lb in one week! Then went to 1800 cal and gained 1 lb. On Friday, I weighed in and lost 3.8 lb.

Now I'm not sure what to do! 1800 is my TDEE-20%. So, do I just go up to 2250 (TDEE) for 8 weeks? Is it a definite that this works???? If not, I'd be really upset with myself... Perhaps a group of us entering terrifying territory together would be beneficial!

If you are losing at the moment I would say stick with the way you have it now, but be prepared to increase cals if/when you stall or find you are only gaining. TDEE - 20% isn't usually what is recommended here anyways (usually because it causes you to fall below BMR if you exercise), but there's nothing wrong with slowly ramping things up if you want. You still want to get your metabolism raised to it's proper levels but if you want to take it slow you can do that.

The benefits of a full reset at the beginning is you get the weight gain out of the way right away, get your metabolism where it is supposed to be and then you can drop cals down to start a proper loss while still being able to eat rather normally. Then, if you add in diet breaks you should be able to keep your metabolism up there instead of starting the spiral down until you find yourself eating nothing, losing no weight or actually gaining again.

I hope that helps?
  • JessLLoser
    JessLLoser Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Marking to read later at length. I hope with the constant binges (because yout ell me I'm done with carbs for the day then i will surely binge and say whatever) I've been doing after a day of getting to my goal I have already basically done the reset. Just tired of all this logging. :( I want to be "normal" again. I decided to take a break (have the last 3 days) and eat when my body tells me to. I have been eating healthy too and still excercising consistantly. I'll see I guess, it anythign ti feels good mentally right now. Hubbie likes me not measuring every little ounce. :)

I know what you mean on this one! Before I never ate enough when Iwas intuitive eating. Now I think by upping my calories I'm there. The last 2 days I ate exactly the right amount. The nice thing about doing a reset is if your over a bit it is no prob? I just use the quick tools to log. Really I don't even want to do that. After all the dieting I've done I know the calories in everything. THEhe hardest part is enjoying it. You can eat whatever you want at 2700cal per day. The weight gain sucks but Igained the 5 lbs in the first week, Iread somewhere that the body needs any where from 2 to 6 mo・ to make lasting changes from eating habits・ Hence the patience and consistentcy stuff. If only we could know for sure that this will work for us and isn't just another thing we tried and failed to lose weight at. Such is the chaos of life!
  • 31prvrbs
    31prvrbs Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    With all things in this thread taken into consideration, I have a few comments if you will allow me: :flowerforyou:

Many of us will stick w/low cal diets until we are blue in the face. :frown: Some of us have eaten low cal for decades . EM2WL is a lifetime venture. 8 wks, 10 wks, 6 months...... what is it in the grand scheme of things. Really? :huh:

I have been living this lifestyle for YEARS. I no longer yo-yo diet. I NEVER blink an eye during holiday or family events when there are food items that I want to eat. I enjoy my life. period. The freedom that I have experienced and have coached countless others in, during this journey is unreal. I chose to become a trainer in order to make sure that as many people that I could possibly reach could experience this same joy :bigsmile: . I have seen this process work for young, old, male, female, fibromyalgia, PCOS, hypothyroid, and the list goes on. They are still living their lives and making constant improvements as we speak. But they will never again starve.

Abusing our bodies by undereating is no small task. The damage that is done is horrifying, yet repairable. The damage is not done overnight, and neither is the repair. It is a process. This should not shock or depress us, but instead motivate us to take our time, and get it RIGHT. no matter the cost.

If we fail to put oil in our car, yet run it into the ground, and blow the engine, we have one of three choices: repair the engine, buy a new car, or accept life without a car and the limitations of it.

upping cals to TDEE -15% is like repairing the engine - it will get the car running again, but it may or may not ever run the same

doing a full metabolism reset is like purchasing a brand new car. It may take us some sacrificing to save up for it, or be approved for financing, etc, but when it's all said and done, we have the car, and can go where we need to go.

staying at or dropping cals back down to low levels, is like accepting life without a car and saying "oh well" I don't mind walking even though it's more of a hassle for the rest of my life. :ohwell:

Or better yet, imagine that you were sick. You got a flu of some sort. You go to the Dr, and at his suggestion, you take some over the counter stuff, and feel better for a while, but just not 100%. a few weeks go by and the OTC stuff just isn't cutting it, although the Dr tried to give you the most general suggestion, to see if it would work first. You go back to the Dr, and he gives you a stronger Rx, and feels confident that it will help you. It doesn't. a few more weeks go by and you go back again, and he tells you "ok, I kinda thought it could be 'this' but wanted you to try the other stuff before jumping to conclusions in case it was a simpler fix, but now I wanna run some tests" ....the tests come back positive, and he tells you, that it is most certainly cancer, and if you don't get it removed, it will eventually run it's course...."

Do you:

a) deny the cancer and just go back to life the way that it was before you ever realized you were sick?
    b) continue on w/the OTC stuff since it made you feel "a little better"
    c) get the surgery, and whatever else the Dr says it takes to get well again.

I'm sure we all get the point by now. But going back to low cals is NOT the answer. If you've discovered that you should take a metabolism reset, then by all means take it. No you will not fit into your jeans by friday, but, in the grand scheme of things it won't matter. If it weren't for talking about my own reset all the time for the sake of others, I wouldn't even REMEMBER it. It just seems like such a distant memory. I've been where I want to be for so long now, that it.doesn't.matter. :drinker:

~Kiki
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    With all things in this thread taken into consideration, I have a few comments if you will allow me: :flowerforyou:

Many of us will stick w/low cal diets until we are blue in the face. :frown: Some of us have eaten low cal for decades . EM2WL is a lifetime venture. 8 wks, 10 wks, 6 months...... what is it in the grand scheme of things. Really? :huh:

I have been living this lifestyle for YEARS. I no longer yo-yo diet. I NEVER blink an eye during holiday or family events when there are food items that I want to eat. I enjoy my life. period. The freedom that I have experienced and have coached countless others in, during this journey is unreal. I chose to become a trainer in order to make sure that as many people that I could possibly reach could experience this same joy :bigsmile: . I have seen this process work for young, old, male, female, fibromyalgia, PCOS, hypothyroid, and the list goes on. They are still living their lives and making constant improvements as we speak. But they will never again starve.

Abusing our bodies by undereating is no small task. The damage that is done is horrifying, yet repairable. The damage is not done overnight, and neither is the repair. It is a process. This should not shock or depress us, but instead motivate us to take our time, and get it RIGHT. no matter the cost.

If we fail to put oil in our car, yet run it into the ground, and blow the engine, we have one of three choices: repair the engine, buy a new car, or accept life without a car and the limitations of it.

upping cals to TDEE -15% is like repairing the engine - it will get the car running again, but it may or may not ever run the same

doing a full metabolism reset is like purchasing a brand new car. It may take us some sacrificing to save up for it, or be approved for financing, etc, but when it's all said and done, we have the car, and can go where we need to go.

staying at or dropping cals back down to low levels, is like accepting life without a car and saying "oh well" I don't mind walking even though it's more of a hassle for the rest of my life. :ohwell:

Or better yet, imagine that you were sick. You got a flu of some sort. You go to the Dr, and at his suggestion, you take some over the counter stuff, and feel better for a while, but just not 100%. a few weeks go by and the OTC stuff just isn't cutting it, although the Dr tried to give you the most general suggestion, to see if it would work first. You go back to the Dr, and he gives you a stronger Rx, and feels confident that it will help you. It doesn't. a few more weeks go by and you go back again, and he tells you "ok, I kinda thought it could be 'this' but wanted you to try the other stuff before jumping to conclusions in case it was a simpler fix, but now I wanna run some tests" ....the tests come back positive, and he tells you, that it is most certainly cancer, and if you don't get it removed, it will eventually run it's course...."

Do you:

a) deny the cancer and just go back to life the way that it was before you ever realized you were sick?

I'm sure we all get the point by now. But going back to low cals is NOT the answer. If you've discovered that you should take a metabolism reset, then by all means take it. No you will not fit into your jeans by friday, but, in the grand scheme of things it won't matter. If it weren't for talking about my own reset all the time for the sake of others, I wouldn't even REMEMBER it. It just seems like such a distant memory. I've been where I want to be for so long now, that it.doesn't.matter. :drinker:

~Kiki

Thank you!
  • jyska
    Options

Do you:

~Kiki

^^ YES! THIS!^^
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options

Do you:

~Kiki

Love, love, LOVE your explanation, Kiki!! You have such a way with words, making complicated subjects like this so much simpler to comprehend!!