Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!

The whole journey has been more like 5 years. The plateau has been 7 months ;)

2300...I really can't even wrap my head around a number like that. All I see is weight piling on. Right now if I have a fun weekend and go 1000/2000 over 1300 for one DAY the scale is up 3 pounds the entire next week. I shudder to think what might happen if I stick to that for a couple months. How the hell do you let go of the fear?

P.S. MFP is telling me that maintenance for my age/height/weight is 1820. Why such a big disparity between here and what Scooby's calculator is telling me? Anyone have any experience with using one set of numbers vs the other?

It is hard to to imagine at first. When I was eating 1500ish calories a day and found this philosophy I went all the way up to 2300 (that was my cut value). Now I'm eating 2600 on maintenance. I had the same fears. You will very likely see a gain, maybe even for several weeks. This is a HUGE test of patience and faith that this is the right way to go. The best thing you can do is read through the information until the logic clicks and you truly feel that this is the best way for you to go. Stick around this thread. Everyone is super supportive.

As far as the discrepancy, there's different calculation methods out there. Personally I don't trust MFP's numbers as it tells me I should be gaining weight when I manually enter my calorie goal. You will find a bit of difference between various online calculators. The best thing to do is just to pick one and stick to it. Consistency is key!

What she said:)
    Its a huge mental game. You have to be willing to accept that there will be gains in both scale and likely inches. You will have days where you want to throw in the towel and go back to your low cal diet. You will have days where you will cry and not have a clue why you are doing this. But one morning, the cloud will settle, you will realize just how much better you feel, how much better you sleep, how much better your stress levels are, and you will realize the scale does not have control over you anymore.
    Have faith. You will be amazed how much food you can eat again:)... I jumped from 1400 to 2800 on maintenance.. it feels great!:) And knowing that I will never again have to starve myself on 1400 or lower, that I can enjoy myself and have an occasional treat or "overage" day and not feel guilty... I WONT HAVE TO FEEL GUILTY ABOUT EATING!!! Isnt that what we all want?:)

The reset is like the spiritual journey through the beginning of your new weight loss path. You will come out on the other end so much more focued and refreshed about things:)
  • carriea67
    carriea67 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!

2300...I really can't even wrap my head around a number like that. All I see is weight piling on. Right now if I have a fun weekend and go 1000/2000 over 1300 for one DAY the scale is up 3 pounds the entire next week. I shudder to think what might happen if I stick to that for a couple months. How the hell do you let go of the fear?

P.S. MFP is telling me that maintenance for my age/height/weight is 1820. Why such a big disparity between here and what Scooby's calculator is telling me? Anyone have any experience with using one set of numbers vs the other?

It is hard to to imagine at first. When I was eating 1500ish calories a day and found this philosophy I went all the way up to 2300 (that was my cut value). Now I'm eating 2600 on maintenance. I had the same fears. You will very likely see a gain, maybe even for several weeks. This is a HUGE test of patience and faith that this is the right way to go. The best thing you can do is read through the information until the logic clicks and you truly feel that this is the best way for you to go. Stick around this thread. Everyone is super supportive.

As far as the discrepancy, there's different calculation methods out there. Personally I don't trust MFP's numbers as it tells me I should be gaining weight when I manually enter my calorie goal. You will find a bit of difference between various online calculators. The best thing to do is just to pick one and stick to it. Consistency is key!

Its a huge mental game. You have to be willing to accept that there will be gains in both scale and likely inches. You will have days where you want to throw in the towel and go back to your low cal diet. You will have days where you will cry and not have a clue why you are doing this. But one morning, the cloud will settle, you will realize just how much better you feel, how much better you sleep, how much better your stress levels are, and you will realize the scale does not have control over you anymore.
    Have faith. You will be amazed how much food you can eat again:)... I jumped from 1400 to 2800 on maintenance.. it feels great!:) And knowing that I will never again have to starve myself on 1400 or lower, that I can enjoy myself and have an occasional treat or "overage" day and not feel guilty... I WONT HAVE TO FEEL GUILTY ABOUT EATING!!! Isnt that what we all want?:)

The reset is like the spiritual journey through the beginning of your new weight loss path. You will come out on the other end so much more focued and refreshed about things:)

^^^^^^THIS!!!!! This journey is about so much more than the weight gain which will happen - and the fact is - you eventually welcome the gain because it means that you are beginning to treat your body with kindness & to feed it what it needs to repair.

My journey is a bit different - the first few weeks I was HAPPY!!!! I got to eat & I was feeling great - had so much energy and my workouts were so much more fulfilling. Sure I had some bloat & uncomfortablness but I expected that - and I learned what to expect as the weeks past because of this thread.

I have never stuck with any one "diet" for 8 weeks - and I am excited to say that I am now entering my 8th week - up 5 pounds and some of my clothes I won't see until next summer....BUT I am happy and more conscious about my food choices....

Stick with it -- 8 weeks is nothing....oh and throw out the scale for the first 4 weeks -- best decision I ever made.....
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!

^^^^^^THIS!!!!! This journey is about so much more than the weight gain which will happen - and the fact is - you eventually welcome the gain because it means that you are beginning to treat your body with kindness & to feed it what it needs to repair.

My journey is a bit different - the first few weeks I was HAPPY!!!! I got to eat & I was feeling great - had so much energy and my workouts were so much more fulfilling. Sure I had some bloat & uncomfortablness but I expected that - and I learned what to expect as the weeks past because of this thread.

I have never stuck with any one "diet" for 8 weeks - and I am excited to say that I am now entering my 8th week - up 5 pounds and some of my clothes I won't see until next summer....BUT I am happy and more conscious about my food choices....

Stick with it -- 8 weeks is nothing....oh and throw out the scale for the first 4 weeks -- best decision I ever made.....

I think it's really great that you feel great and have stuck this out Carrie! Way to go!
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I really want to cut now, only because I am SOOOOOOO close to the end, but I will stick to my last day on Sunday. I will step on the scale again on monday morning and get my new numbers from there.:)

I feel like you! I don't want to give up the food, but I want to start LOSING!!!! 2 more days.....
  • rosied915
    rosied915 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!

@Raynn:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: who always seems to know just what I need to hear!:heart::heart: :heart:
  • rosied915
    Options
    I really want to cut now, only because I am SOOOOOOO close to the end, but I will stick to my last day on Sunday. I will step on the scale again on monday morning and get my new numbers from there.:)

I feel like you! I don't want to give up the food, but I want to start LOSING!!!! 2 more days.....

:heart: :heart: :heart: To You too, Sweetie, cuz I know it's been a LOOOOONG journey for you:heart::heart: :heart:
  • rosied915
    Options
    And last, but not least: :heart: :heart: :heart: for ME!

I been "bummin" as you all know and I didn't even want to go to the gym and do NROLFW today.

BUT, I went, did it, did NOT give up even when I wanted to and now feel MUCH, MUCH BETTER!!

(and thanks to all my EM2WL Guardian Angels who were sitting on shoulder cheering me on and kicking my butt at the same time~
    Love you guys:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

Thanks Triple your comments helped me look into the future, to have soemthing to look out for, I appreciate it lots. I was just feeling like it was way to easy compared to what everyone else was saying so I must have been doing something wrong LOL but now I know to keep treking and soon enough I will be on here whinning about bloat ;P

Thats funny because I felt the same way when I started! I thought maybe I was enjoying it too much and I had to be doing something wrong! I am an over-thinker and I was actually going to just give it all up until I found EM2WL. I really just opened my mind and let them fill it and not think twice. Everything I had been doing hadn't worked for over 2 years so apparently I knew nothing :laugh: Anytime doubt crept in I reminded myself of how I used to eat and work out and not lose or gain, then see how much I was eating and hadn't really gained. I know I have gained more now but about 4 weeks into reset I kept eating over TDEE and now in my last week of reset and on a full rest, I am still eating over some days!

just hope I can knock that off starting Sunday:frown:
    [/quote]

Is a full rest reccommended on yoru last week of reset?

and Im sending you a friend request, I like your tought proccesses (sp) and it will be nice to have a friend that eats ;)
    Even though, I missed my goal yesterday by about 185 calories (about lol...more like exactly) and today Im struggle but I only walked today so Im not hungry
    [/quote]

Its recommended to take a rest from your workout I believe every 4-6 weeks. Or maybe that time frame is stuck in my head for the reset...I have seen that others do their rest at the same time but I think its up to you. This is my first rest not just since EM2WL but in years! I am really enjoying it guilt free. I am still moving, I still walk occasionally and I have been finally tackling all the weeds and plant beds the previous owners created.

I probably will do a rest during my TDEE weeks from now on but I will see how it goes!
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options

I been "bummin" as you all know and I didn't even want to go to the gym and do NROLFW today.

BUT, I went, did it, did NOT give up even when I wanted to and now feel MUCH, MUCH BETTER!!

(and thanks to all my EM2WL Guardian Angels who were sitting on shoulder cheering me on and kicking my butt at the same time~

You are so full of :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: it makes me smile every time I see one of your posts!
    Awesome job getting your NROL4W done today! The best part of the workout is the afterglow feeling you get when you know you just did something good for yourself! Keep it up!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    General questions, I have been eating at TDEE every day for a while and I LOVE it. Are y'all eating at your average TDEE or a varied TDEE depending on whether or not it's a workout day? I've been varying my TDEE (between 2200-2900) based on exercise, but lately I've been very hungry on non-exercise days. I suppose I could eat at my average TDEE (~2600), but I wanted to see what others are doing!
  • littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I have been eating right at my TDEE unless i'm starving, then i'll eat over as conservatively as I can.
  • Raynn1
    Options

Way to go rosie:) Sometimes thats the best battle to win:)
  • Raynn1
    Options
    General questions, I have been eating at TDEE every day for a while and I LOVE it. Are y'all eating at your average TDEE or a varied TDEE depending on whether or not it's a workout day? I've been varying my TDEE (between 2200-2900) based on exercise, but lately I've been very hungry on non-exercise days. I suppose I could eat at my average TDEE (~2600), but I wanted to see what others are doing!

TDEE includes working out.. so if you have calculated your TDEE right, using the right activity level, then you eat your TDEE mark every day, regardless of working out or not. You do not have to eat back any exercise cals, becuse your TDEE is factored with your activity already in it... So if your TDEE is 2900, then that is what you eat daily..
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Anyone else around week 3 of their reset? If so, do you know already how many weeks you will do?
  • immywolf
    immywolf Posts: 18
    Options
    I am! Well, just finishing week 3 today. I originally planned to stick to 8 weeks, but yesterday I read somewhere that if you only have a couple of lbs to lose (I only have 6 to lose from my weight before I started reset, but now I have 11 :frown: ) that you don't need to do a reset for as long as some people who still need to lose quite a bit of weight. So I've been thinking maybe I'll only do 6 or 7 weeks, depending on how I feel at the time. Right now, I am at least showing some of the signs of healing from a reset: I'm HUNGRY, I love eating so much food, I don't find it hard to fit in all my cals anymore, and even though I've gained 5-6lbs and a few inches, I'm not letting it get to me, and I know I'll NEVER, EVER, EVER go back to eating 1200 per day and netting under 800. It's just not an option. All the crazy disordered starvation thoughts I used to get are gone. I guess I'm already this confident because I upped my calories by 500-600 to my 15% cut about 9-10 weeks ago, (but got no results) so I've had a while to get used to this frame of mind. And I really understand it now.

So, I'm just gonna see how I feel at week 6 and decide if I should stick it out another 1 or 2 (or more) weeks then.

Could someone help me- is this thing about not having to reset as long if you don't have much to lose true? And do I have to wait for the fatigue stage of the reset to hit me and pass to start eating at cut? Or if I'm feeling confident, happy and energised at week 6 can I cut then? I'm just kinda worried that if I don't do the reset for long enough that I'll start eating at cut and just not lose, and be stuck at ANOTHER plateau (that's like my worst nightmare). But I'm just not sure if 6 weeks is long enough.
  • Raynn1
    Options

Could someone help me- is this thing about not having to reset as long if you don't have much to lose true? And do I have to wait for the fatigue stage of the reset to hit me and pass to start eating at cut? Or if I'm feeling confident, happy and energised at week 6 can I cut then? I'm just kinda worried that if I don't do the reset for long enough that I'll start eating at cut and just not lose, and be stuck at ANOTHER plateau (that's like my worst nightmare). But I'm just not sure if 6 weeks is long enough.

Havent heard anything about this. Resetting for shorter periods is usually for people who havent come from VLCD in the past, regardless of how many pounds you have left to lose.. You can cut earlier, its a personl choice, but if you think you are going to always wonder "what if" if you dont stay for 8 weeks, or you are worried about having to possibly do another reset down the line because you didnt give it enough time, then you may just want to stick to 8 weeks.
    I planned on only doing about 4.. and when I hit the wall at that point, I wasnt mentally ready to drop down. I needed to give it the full 8 so I knew I gave it a fair shot for my body. I came from a VLCD so I had to take the time to heal..
  • manic4titans
    manic4titans Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I have not done this yet. I am scared!

Here are my #'s:

wt 159
    BF% 30
    ht 5'5
    40 years old

per BMF, on average day of zero exercising and cooking a few meals, my burn is around 1700. When I exercise mainly weight lifting, I burn 2200-2300.

Where do I begin?

anyone on here that this has worked? Where do I find the "science" of this theory? Is there a link on here explaining it? I need reading material not a video. Kids. (need I say more LOL)
  • 2knoxs
    2knoxs Posts: 81
    Options

Here are my #'s:

wt 159
    BF% 30
    ht 5'5
    40 years old

per BMF, on average day of zero exercising and cooking a few meals, my burn is around 1700. When I exercise mainly weight lifting, I burn 2200-2300.

Where do I begin?

anyone on here that this has worked? Where do I find the "science" of this theory? Is there a link on here explaining it? I need reading material not a video. Kids. (need I say more LOL)

I havent been here long but watching the people who have...I think the science is all over the group page. Hope you get more answers but I hate waiting for someone to respond to my questions. Good Luck making a decision. :)
    Actually today is the start of week 2 for me :DDDD
  • Raynn1
    Options

Here are my #'s:

wt 159
    BF% 30
    ht 5'5
    40 years old

Where do I begin?

I havent been here long but watching the people who have...I think the science is all over the group page. Hope you get more answers but I hate waiting for someone to respond to my questions. Good Luck making a decision. :)
    Actually today is the start of week 2 for me :DDDD

Take your TDEE calculations over a period of at least a week or longer to average out your number. Dont worry about a day to day measurement as that changes depending on your day. But instead average out your days so you have a single number to shoot for. Thats basically what the TDEE calculators online do as well.
  • Raynn1
    Options
    OMG.... 2 MORE DAYS LEFT!!!!!!