Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options
1717273747577»

Replies

• koelotae
    Options
    Can someone please help? i have no idea what's going on with my body.
    At the beginning of November i was trying to lose weight pretty much desperately, and i lost 12 pounds in 4 weeks, and i decided i was tired of the little food and started rebuilding up my metabolism. I started losing weight again, and i was so happy, another 3 pounds.
    But on the 2nd week, i literally gained 7 pounds! i thought it was bloat, and i waited a week, but it still hasn't gone away. It's the middle of the 5th week now, and since then i've gained another 5 pounds. I don't understand this and i am at the end of my rope! I have been eating about the same amount everyday and do heavy excercise for 1 to 2 hours 6 days a week (probably a 3;2 ratio of weights and cardio). I can tell i am building but i now have 12 pounds of extra fat that won't go away! I am so depressed about this! I talked to a dietician who told me that i have a set point that my body is trying to return to, but there must be a way to lose weight from that set point.
    This can't be normal to gain 12 pounds this fast and have it stick, right?
    Does anyone have any advice?
  • ochibi91
    ochibi91 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to start a metabolism reset for about 4 weeks so from my understanding I should eat at TDEE throughout this period. Should I also stick to the same exercise regime that I'm currently doing or is it like a total "rest" for the body and I don't work out at all during the 4 week period?

Thanks!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I'm planning to start a metabolism reset for about 4 weeks so from my understanding I should eat at TDEE throughout this period. Should I also stick to the same exercise regime that I'm currently doing or is it like a total "rest" for the body and I don't work out at all during the 4 week period?

Thanks!

Not exercising while eating more is the worst time to do that.

Now, if you haven't had an exercise break for 6-8 weeks and kinda intense, then an exercise break is useful.
    Do it first, as you are slowly increasing calories. May be that the week of rest and a slightly increased eating goal actually is your TDEE for that week.
    Because the TDEE would of course be lower if not exercising.
    Then start exercising with whatever routine you plan to keep up with, and increase the calories again.

This gives an ability to confirm TDEE with whatever the routine is then.
    You'd hate to find you nailed your TDEE figure correctly, but then started exercising totally invalidating that prior figure, as it would no longer be your TDEE.
  • ochibi91
    ochibi91 Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Not exercising while eating more is the worst time to do that.

Now, if you haven't had an exercise break for 6-8 weeks and kinda intense, then an exercise break is useful.
    Do it first, as you are slowly increasing calories. May be that the week of rest and a slightly increased eating goal actually is your TDEE for that week.
    Because the TDEE would of course be lower if not exercising.
    Then start exercising with whatever routine you plan to keep up with, and increase the calories again.

This gives an ability to confirm TDEE with whatever the routine is then.
    You'd hate to find you nailed your TDEE figure correctly, but then started exercising totally invalidating that prior figure, as it would no longer be your TDEE.

Yes, I guess I can count my workouts as intense since I'm usually sore the next day. I also sweat buckets when I do HIIT on my stationery bike. As advised from the other topic, I'll be doing an exercise break when I'm away and eat at an adjusted tdee-15%.
  • sweetxsour35
    Options
    I have started my 3rd week of reset on monday and I have already up 6 lbs, can you believe it? The amount of weight i lost in the last whole year,got it back in mere two weeks:sad: I was heartbroken when i saw the scale. Anyways, i wont weigh in till my resets over now.:grumble:

But im really happy eating at my TDEE, :) Eating to my full what else would i want.

Probably mainly glucose stores with water - that is LBM - that is increased metabolism.

congrats, some repair already.

I'd encourage you to keep weighing, as that is the only way to tell if you got the TDEE correct or not.

Only use valid weigh-in days, morning after rest day eating normal sodium levels not sore from last workout.
    Cuts the fluctuations out as best as possible.

But you gotta be able to tell if gain is slow and steady, or big jump as that 6 lbs probably was. And your BMR literally will change through the month, so need a tad longer to tell.

How do we know if we got the TDEE right? I'm not there yet, but I'd like to know for future reference. I'm also getting discouraged because of weight gain but the plus side is I'm not getting any bigger. It's just disappointing to see the number that I worked so hard to get to months ago.
  • heybales
    Options
    How do we know if we got the TDEE right? I'm not there yet, but I'd like to know for future reference. I'm also getting discouraged because of weight gain but the plus side is I'm not getting any bigger. It's just disappointing to see the number that I worked so hard to get to months ago.

Keep increasing slowly, the fast water weight gain will stop eventually.

After you have reached stable weight for couple weeks, you do the 2 weeks test.

2 weeks eating 250 more calories daily.
    If prior eating level really was TDEE - you would slowly gain 1 lb more weight over 2 weeks. That's it. And if lifting well, not even all fat.
    If more fast gain, you were not at potential TDEE prior. And enough below body was stressed enough to not allow weight loss.
    So you do 2 more week test with 250 yet again.
  • menojy
    menojy Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am just starting my metabolism reset after being on 1200 for a month, now how much water weight should I expect ? and how do I know it's only water not fat ?
  • heybales
    Options
    I am just starting my metabolism reset after being on 1200 for a month, now how much water weight should I expect ? and how do I know it's only water not fat ?

Totally depends on you and how carb depleted you made yourself, and how much cardio you do that makes the body want to store more.

The speed of the change dictates.

Read post right above yours for one such example.
  • menojy
    Options
    thanks, still a bit confusing ..
    how much time should I give it, are 6 weeks enough ? and is it normal to feel so full and bloated on the first couple of days ?
    I'd also like to know what to do after reset, go directly from TDEE to TDEE-20% or start with TDEE-10% then -15% and so ?
    also how often will I need to repeat this reset ?
  • heybales
    Options
    Oh sorry, I saw question about how much weight, nothing on how much time for reset.

If you were increasing calories slowly, like 100 extra daily for a week at a time - no you would not feel bloated.

If you just shoveled in a ton more food than normal - sure.

Diet breaks are useful every 6-8 weeks, depending on how intense exercise is, which is a bigger stress too in a deficit.
    15% is recommended by this group.

Time for reset, in one study eating at maintenance at that point, so it was suppressed maintenance, it took 3 months to gain back about 1/2 of what was suppressed.
    In other words, their daily burned dropped about 500 below what was expected, took 3 months eating at maintenance for it to be just 250 below. So perhaps another 3 months or tad less to recovery that suppressed 250. But study ended, so we don't know.

And since this is eating more than maintenance, slowly a week at a time, the hope is to increase it faster to where it's expected.

So probably 8-12 weeks is good.
  • menojy
    Options
    thank you so much : )
  • clydelarson23
    clydelarson23 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is it true that marijuana can actually help to loss weight? I've been hearing people talk about this lately in some forum i cant remember what forum that is but i was pretty curious about they're topic. I have been reading this marijuana strain here in https://www.bonzaseeds.com/blog/space-queen/ and all it says that i can help you relax and chill you physically and mentally. Some of them might even help you with depression and anxiety but this issue regarding losing weight when using marijuana is just fascinating. Can you enlighten me with some new information about this?
  • zanyzana
    zanyzana Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Why do you think people in here have a knowledge base regarding marijuana? I’ve not heard of it leading to weight loss, and in fact experienced the opposite when I was a college student... as most did (it’s called the munchies for a reason!).