Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

I am new to this Eat More stuff Lol and get so frustrated with the scale going up and down. So it takes 6-8 wks of eating more calories to see any results ?

Here's my numbers below according to scooby website
    BMR = 1723
    TDEE = 2671
    Cal to eat = 2136

Any tips would be appreciated, thanks

Depends.

Genetics, how many years of yo-yo dieting to trash your metabolism, how big a deficit under TDEE for how long, what kind of exercise since it also can be a stress on the body, ect.

That's how long many take to stop gaining for a very abused metobalism to come back up. Some report 2 wks gain, then maintain. Some increase 200 cal daily for each week until at TDEE, with minimal gain. Many methods to get there.
  • amanda8o
    amanda8o Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hey all I just joined the group..again I tried this a few months ago but just couldn't get over the mental aspect of it,but have finally decided to commit to doing it the right way after becoming obsessed with the number on the scale and being actually afraid to eat for fear of gaining. I'm starting the metabolism reset today my TDEE is 2033 per the calculation in the NRLW(which I just got done reading today) going from somebody who used to have days where i was netting in the negative I'm terrified lol. I would love to have as many friends for help and support as possible. Last thing I need is an eating disorder and I've noticed my moods have sucked lately because of not eating enough! I'll be doing this I guess for the 4-8 weeks.

My starting weight is 154
  • Calif_Girl67
    Calif_Girl67 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Ive been at this about 3 weeks and have to say its very frustrating, Scale is still juggling up and down 2-3 pounds. Its hard to really know what works for sure since you hear so many things about fads etc. Im gonna try to keep at this at least until the end of Feb.
    Anyone suggestions would be appreciiated.
  • heybales
    Options
    Ive been at this about 3 weeks and have to say its very frustrating, Scale is still juggling up and down 2-3 pounds. Its hard to really know what works for sure since you hear so many things about fads etc. Im gonna try to keep at this at least until the end of Feb.

So you are eating more, supposedly at TDEE, and weight is fluctuating between 2-3 lbs but not increasing.

Sounds like you just proved something to yourself.

And confirm you only weigh-in on valid days to stop seeing false gain and loss.
    Morning after rest day eating normal sodium and not still sore. Otherwise, invalid data, useless.
  • prettypaleo67
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm new to EMTWL, but not to MFP. You can see my background here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/880086-newbie-just-starting-to-eat-more

I am on day 3 of eating more and I feel so great! I'm no longer angry and stressed out about trying to fit within 1400-1500 calories per day.

I got on the scale this morning and was down .6 pounds - not much, but better than the gradual increase I was seeing while eating less. So glad to have found this thread!
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options

So you are eating more, supposedly at TDEE, and weight is fluctuating between 2-3 lbs but not increasing.

Morning after rest day eating normal sodium and not still sore. Otherwise, invalid data, useless.

I weigh in every single day unless i forget too but I track my weight on the scale every single day. Yes I am eating 2136 calories
    and the scale goes up 2-4 pounds. Whats your point ?
  • heybales
    Options

I weigh in every single day unless i forget too but I track my weight on the scale every single day. Yes I am eating 2136 calories

If this was the wrong way of doing it, wouldn't you be gaining weight, not just normal fluctuations?

You wondered if it was a fad, if it would work. Well, you are eating at TDEE for a reset and not gaining.

But you probably need to make your mind over concerning the scale. If you can't see that weighing ever day is neither valid nor useful, nor beneficial for your state of mind it seems, why would you do it?

Because you are tied to the scale. You'll live and die by that thing, and probably prevent a good thing from being able to work because you won't be able to stick to it if the scale is that strong of a weight around your neck.

Really, you need to have someone hide the scale, and get out your measuring tape.
    Because no one can see the scale unless you hang it around your neck with a note regarding current weight and last weight.
    They will see YOU though.

Here's another interesting point, just as you weren't losing as less calories, you may actually be able to raise calories even more, and still not gain. Many find that.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options

If this was the wrong way of doing it, wouldn't you be gaining weight, not just normal fluctuations?

You wondered if it was a fad, if it would work. Well, you are eating at TDEE for a reset and not gaining.

But you probably need to make your mind over concerning the scale. If you can't see that weighing ever day is neither valid nor useful, nor beneficial for your state of mind it seems, why would you do it?

Because you are tied to the scale. You'll live and die by that thing, and probably prevent a good thing from being able to work because you won't be able to stick to it if the scale is that strong of a weight around your neck.

Really, you need to have someone hide the scale, and get out your measuring tape.
    Because no one can see the scale unless you hang it around your neck with a note regarding current weight and last weight.
    They will see YOU though.

Here's another interesting point, just as you weren't losing as less calories, you may actually be able to raise calories even more, and still not gain. Many find that.

Ok so what your saying is that since my weight is moving up and down and NOT staying up is basically the way its suppose to work on Eat More to Lose ? WHen it goes up it does not stay there so I guess thats a good thing, I just get so frustrated trying different things and nothing ever really working. Im impatient Lol. Someone actually told me to weigh in everyday and track it on Hackers website so I can see how its working so thats what I have been doing.

SO should I stay at my 2136 calories ? I actually moved them down to 1900 yesterday. I just want something to work and I have not measured. I really need to lose my belly fat but that takes forever.
  • heybales
    Options
    Ok so what your saying is that since my weight is moving up and down and NOT staying up is basically the way its suppose to work on Eat More to Lose ? WHen it goes up it does not stay there so I guess thats a good thing, I just get so frustrated trying different things and nothing ever really working. Im impatient Lol. Someone actually told me to weigh in everyday and track it on Hackers website so I can see how its working so thats what I have been doing.

SO should I stay at my 2136 calories ? I actually moved them down to 1900 yesterday. I just want something to work and I have not measured. I really need to lose my belly fat but that takes forever.

You actually will have weight fluctuations every day and of course during the day no matter what diet or non-diet you are on, more so if exercising.

Since you are disturbed by the weight fluctuations I'd say forget the weighing, stress makes it harder to lose fat and weight, so if this causes stress you are your own worse enemy.

Hence my suggestion of finding valid weigh-ins. Would you give any attention to car gas mileage records if it had neither the trip miles nor the gallons used on fill-up or not complete fill-ups? I hope not, as it's useless info.

How long have you been eating at that amount and not seen a real valid change?

If 3 weeks, increase by 100 calories daily.

And how long were you really eating way to much for level of activity?
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options

You actually will have weight fluctuations every day and of course during the day no matter what diet or non-diet you are on, more so if exercising.

Since you are disturbed by the weight fluctuations I'd say forget the weighing, stress makes it harder to lose fat and weight, so if this causes stress you are your own worse enemy.

Hence my suggestion of finding valid weigh-ins. Would you give any attention to car gas mileage records if it had neither the trip miles nor the gallons used on fill-up or not complete fill-ups? I hope not, as it's useless info.

How long have you been eating at that amount and not seen a real valid change?

If 3 weeks, increase by 100 calories daily.

And how long were you really eating way to much for level of activity?

Ive only been eating the 2136 calories since the 1st part of jan and I exercise 2-3 times a week right now cause of wheather, health issues etc. I work from home so I sit for about 6 hours straight but while on vacation last week i did alot of walking. I find that when I cut carbs and sodium way way back i tend to lose more then at any other time but I can't do that every day as i find it super hard but I do try to keep my sodium under 2000.

As for exercise I have to be careful and can't lift weights over my head or more then 5-10 pounds cause i had a stent put in my heart in Oct plus have back and neck issues that need surgery at some point so I try to do what I can for exercise without putting my body at risk.
  • heybales
    Options
    Ive only been eating the 2136 calories since the 1st part of jan and I exercise 2-3 times a week right now cause of wheather, health issues etc. I work from home so I sit for about 6 hours straight but while on vacation last week i did alot of walking. I find that when I cut carbs and sodium way way back i tend to lose more then at any other time but I can't do that every day as i find it super hard but I do try to keep my sodium under 2000.

As for exercise I have to be careful and can't lift weights over my head or more then 5-10 pounds cause i had a stent put in my heart in Oct plus have back and neck issues that need surgery at some point so I try to do what I can for exercise without putting my body at risk.

Very smart then with activity, no need to be injured and be able to do little to nothing.

I'd raise it 100 extra daily for a week. See if you get a solid weight increase. That will mean lower number was valid TDEE for this level of activity.
    And if you plan on keeping it, very useful to know.

Because that TDEE / your current BMR = your personal multiplier for your activity.

As you lose weight and BMR goes down, take it x your personal multiplier and you have new TDEE. Take deficit, new eating level.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options

Very smart then with activity, no need to be injured and be able to do little to nothing.

I'd raise it 100 extra daily for a week. See if you get a solid weight increase. That will mean lower number was valid TDEE for this level of activity.

Because that TDEE / your current BMR = your personal multiplier for your activity.

As you lose weight and BMR goes down, take it x your personal multiplier and you have new TDEE. Take deficit, new eating level.

SO your saying I should eat above 2136 calories then ? I weighed this am and was down 2 pounds from a few days ago when the scale creaped up and I actually ate less yesterday, I think around 1760 calories. So what should I have my activity level set at to get the right amount of calories ? Ive been using scooby website to get numbers and don't have it set at sedentary.
  • heybales
    Options

SO your saying I should eat above 2136 calories then ? I weighed this am and was down 2 pounds from a few days ago when the scale creaped up and I actually ate less yesterday, I think around 1760 calories. So what should I have my activity level set at to get the right amount of calories ? Ive been using scooby website to get numbers and don't have it set at sedentary.

All the calculators are to get an estimate of TDEE based on activity, 5 simple levels can't take in to account the variety of time and exercise that could be done, and your intensity at it.

This reset time is perfect opportunity to hone in on what it is exactly.

If you have been regularly eating at about that 2100 level and not lost anything, that could be real TDEE, or it could be a suppressed TDEE still, how would you know?
    And a deficit off real would lead to expected weight loss.
    Deficit off suppressed could give some weight loss, perhaps for a bit, or could be too much stress to body and it slows down to balance at new eating level, so no loss.
    How you would know is eat too much at known level, then compare steady weight gain that would show you are over-eating.
    So if you ate 100 over estimated TDEE, and gained 2 lbs suddenly over 3 days, obviously it wasn't from eating 100 extra, and it's not fat.

You'll have to forget the idea you can gain useful info off daily changes.
    You ate 1760 yesterday. Could easily mean you didn't replenish glucose stores burned during a workout yesterday or day before, that's 1-2 lbs. Could have flushed out sodium retention from day before.

That's why you increase the calories, and over a good 2 weeks see what happens, on valid weigh-in day.
  • Calif_Girl67
    Options
    Its very confusing to me and I try and try and still nothing works, I lost 15 pounds between 2011-2012 and didn't gain but 4 pounds
    of that back so at the start of 2013 I restarted my ticker to 0 and have since lost 1 pound. All I know is that when I eat less sodium and less carbs the scale moves and its all water, I just want to know what to do to keep the scale from bouncing all over the place.

I have lowered my calories now to 1900 instead of 2136 which I have been eating for over 2 weeks, yesterday I ate 1760 just cause it happened that way.
  • marinesweetheart
    marinesweetheart Posts: 25 Member
    Options

I'm bumping for future reference cus I know I'm going to forget lol
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Its very confusing to me and I try and try and still nothing works, I lost 15 pounds between 2011-2012 and didn't gain but 4 pounds
    of that back so at the start of 2013 I restarted my ticker to 0 and have since lost 1 pound. All I know is that when I eat less sodium and less carbs the scale moves and its all water, I just want to know what to do to keep the scale from bouncing all over the place.

I have lowered my calories now to 1900 instead of 2136 which I have been eating for over 2 weeks, yesterday I ate 1760 just cause it happened that way.

What is your actual TDEE and BMR? You stated you ate 2136 for two weeks? What were you eating before that?
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bumping for info
  • aud085
    aud085 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Like many of you, I have many years under my belt of eating way too low calories and losing nothing. In fact for the last few years I have been surviving on 800-1200 calories max. I run 3-4 times a week and have been lifting at the gym 1-3 times a week and still nothing. I just could not understand it, and my frustration level has been through the roof! Then I found this through someone I friended on here, and I feel like there may be hope again.

My BMR is 1376, my TDEE is 2133 at moderate activitiy level

So my question is do I eat at 2133 for 8 weeks? and if I run that day and burn 300 calories do I still eat 2133? on the day I dont run I still eat 2133? I just want to be sure I dont over eat now and go completely the wrong way.

Im also looking for any friends on here that are trying this, please friend me, I would love to follow your progress and would greatly appreciate the support and to share stories and thoughts.

After watching the videos, I am so convinced that this is totally for me, and I could of spoke the same exact words, always dieting, and always stressing over it. Hoping this changes all of that.

Aud
  • SweetHarmony81
    SweetHarmony81 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!
    I'm very new here, still trying to sort out my account details! But, I have been reading all the post under em2wl and I'm pretty sure that's where I need to be right now.

Let me quickly introduce myself: I'm 30yrs, 170 cm (5'6) and currently 69 kg (152 lbs). I have been on a low-cal diet since high school where I lost a lot of weight (due to ED behaviour) and then got it all and most back. From that point, I just lose and gain. I have been eating as low as 900kcal to around 1300kcal (that was my high!). Tried low carb, paleo, IF etc. I used to train 5x/wk, with high intensity and weights, but nothing changed! Lately, after trying to experiment with intermittent fasting, I have also stop menstruating, which really pissed my off! So, I KNOW I need to change that. I KNOW I need to reset my metabolism once and for good.

For the past month, I have slowly increased my cals (and carbs as I was very low-carb) from 1200-1300 to 1400/1700, then 1500/1900 and lately 1700/2000 (rest/workout days). I have also limited my workouts to only 3x/wk with no intervals, sprints and crazy conditioning. Just pure strength. I have noticed some initial weight gain, which freaks me out so I'm trying to stay off the scale for now.
    From as far as I've been reading, my plan is to eat daily at maintenance (~2000), don't weight myself too often and let me body reset. That sounds easier than it actually is though. I find it really really difficult mentally! My clothes don't fit, which makes me not want to get out of the house at all! So i'll need your support smile

Can I ask for a couple of questions?
    Do you still workout while resetting? If so, do you alter your macros at all (like higher carbs on workout days lower on rest?).
    Also, I tried calculating my macro split to 40-30-30 (c-p-f), but it seems to be too many carbs for my liking. Do you think it is still ok to do something like 30-35-35 (c-p-f)?

Thanks a lot you all!! I'll be hanging around here for a while I guess ohwell
  • SweetHarmony81
    SweetHarmony81 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Like many of you, I have many years under my belt of eating way too low calories and losing nothing. In fact for the last few years I have been surviving on 800-1200 calories max. I run 3-4 times a week and have been lifting at the gym 1-3 times a week and still nothing. I just could not understand it, and my frustration level has been through the roof! Then I found this through someone I friended on here, and I feel like there may be hope again.

My BMR is 1376, my TDEE is 2133 at moderate activitiy level

So my question is do I eat at 2133 for 8 weeks? and if I run that day and burn 300 calories do I still eat 2133? on the day I dont run I still eat 2133? I just want to be sure I dont over eat now and go completely the wrong way.

Im also looking for any friends on here that are trying this, please friend me, I would love to follow your progress and would greatly appreciate the support and to share stories and thoughts.

After watching the videos, I am so convinced that this is totally for me, and I could of spoke the same exact words, always dieting, and always stressing over it. Hoping this changes all of that.

Aud

Hi there,
    If you have chosen your activity level right, then your TDEE should include the calories burned for running etc. So you just stick to around that number for 8 weeks or so. hope this helps xx