Metabolism Reset - Eating at TDEE Support Thread

Options

Replies

• SweetHarmony81
    SweetHarmony81 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!
    I'm very new here, still trying to sort out my account details! But, I have been reading all the post under em2wl and I'm pretty sure that's where I need to be right now.

Let me quickly introduce myself: I'm 30yrs, 170 cm (5'6) and currently 69 kg (152 lbs). I have been on a low-cal diet since high school where I lost a lot of weight (due to ED behaviour) and then got it all and most back. From that point, I just lose and gain. I have been eating as low as 900kcal to around 1300kcal (that was my high!). Tried low carb, paleo, IF etc. I used to train 5x/wk, with high intensity and weights, but nothing changed! Lately, after trying to experiment with intermittent fasting, I have also stop menstruating, which really pissed my off! So, I KNOW I need to change that. I KNOW I need to reset my metabolism once and for good.

For the past month, I have slowly increased my cals (and carbs as I was very low-carb) from 1200-1300 to 1400/1700, then 1500/1900 and lately 1700/2000 (rest/workout days). I have also limited my workouts to only 3x/wk with no intervals, sprints and crazy conditioning. Just pure strength. I have noticed some initial weight gain, which freaks me out so I'm trying to stay off the scale for now.
    From as far as I've been reading, my plan is to eat daily at maintenance (~2000), don't weight myself too often and let me body reset. That sounds easier than it actually is though. I find it really really difficult mentally! My clothes don't fit, which makes me not want to get out of the house at all! So i'll need your support smile

Can I ask for a couple of questions?
    Do you still workout while resetting? If so, do you alter your macros at all (like higher carbs on workout days lower on rest?).
    Also, I tried calculating my macro split to 40-30-30 (c-p-f), but it seems to be too many carbs for my liking. Do you think it is still ok to do something like 30-35-35 (c-p-f)?

Thanks a lot you all!! I'll be hanging around here for a while I guess ohwell

Also, feel free to add me as friend if you're on the same boat!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Do you still workout while resetting? If so, do you alter your macros at all (like higher carbs on workout days lower on rest?).
    Also, I tried calculating my macro split to 40-30-30 (c-p-f), but it seems to be too many carbs for my liking. Do you think it is still ok to do something like 30-35-35 (c-p-f)?

Most definitely work out - especially heavy lifting.

If during this time of increased eating your metabolism is not going up as fast as the intake is, it means you are eating in surplus at some times.

Do you want the surplus going to only fat, or muscle and fat?

Of course, the idea is the metabolism comes up and you are at maintenance. If you constantly keep slowly increasing, like 1 lb every 2 wks - that would imply you are eating 250 over your real TDEE figure.

Macros - protein goal most important, then fat, let carbs fall where they may.

Did you use Lightly Active level for 1-3 hrs of exercise weekly? If that's how much you get in?
    Rest of your day is sedentary desk job 40 hrs sitting?
    If not, likely need to raise level, or at least round up to nearest 100 (1590 would really be 1700).
  • SweetHarmony81
    Options

Most definitely work out - especially heavy lifting.

If during this time of increased eating your metabolism is not going up as fast as the intake is, it means you are eating in surplus at some times.

Do you want the surplus going to only fat, or muscle and fat?

Of course, the idea is the metabolism comes up and you are at maintenance. If you constantly keep slowly increasing, like 1 lb every 2 wks - that would imply you are eating 250 over your real TDEE figure.

Macros - protein goal most important, then fat, let carbs fall where they may.

Did you use Lightly Active level for 1-3 hrs of exercise weekly? If that's how much you get in?
    Rest of your day is sedentary desk job 40 hrs sitting?
    If not, likely need to raise level, or at least round up to nearest 100 (1590 would really be 1700).

Yes, I'm working out 3x/wk (sometimes 2 due to some bank holidays). Only strength training, big compound moves.
    I'm generally sedentary, as my job requires me to be sitting all day long. My BMR is around 1550, TDEE if I put sedentary is around 1750, if I put light active (which I have) is at around 2000. So I'm aiming for 2000 for now I guess.

Do I have to stay there for the whole 4-6 weeks for the reset to work? I might have an operation (arthroscopy) next month so I won't be able to do much after that. I'm very keen to try a short cut (something like TDEE -10%) for 4 weeks before-surgery as I don't want to be dieting while healing. This puts my though to just 3 weeks on the reset. Do you think this would cancel the benefits of the whole process?? Any ideas?
  • heybales
    Options
    Yes, I'm working out 3x/wk (sometimes 2 due to some bank holidays). Only strength training, big compound moves.
    I'm generally sedentary, as my job requires me to be sitting all day long. My BMR is around 1550, TDEE if I put sedentary is around 1750, if I put light active (which I have) is at around 2000. So I'm aiming for 2000 for now I guess.

Do I have to stay there for the whole 4-6 weeks for the reset to work? I might have an operation (arthroscopy) next month so I won't be able to do much after that. I'm very keen to try a short cut (something like TDEE -10%) for 4 weeks before-surgery as I don't want to be dieting while healing. This puts my though to just 3 weeks on the reset. Do you think this would cancel the benefits of the whole process?? Any ideas?

Depends on your body and genetics and stress and what it's seen before.
    You'll know when you try. If metabolism adjusts down quickly after initial weight loss, you'll know it wasn't long enough. So TDEE for probably sedentary during surgery recovery time.
    Though during recovery you might try some form of 5 / 2 fasting, 5 days at TDEE, 2 spaced out rest days at 25% of TDEE. Yields 21% avg deficit, but in a manner studies have shown great health benefits with and fat loss.
  • SweetHarmony81
    Options

Thanks a lot for that! I guess, I'll decide early next week after weighting myself (have my period now so scale number won't be accurate). If I'm stable, then I might try cutting my calories a bit for a month.

Also, I love fasting. Have tried it in the past and wasn't too difficult to do. However, my inner body stresses too much with it. Every time I have tried long-ish fasts (16-18h) I have problems with my menstruation. So as much as I like it, I'm not trying it again soon...

Thanks again xx

Depends on your body and genetics and stress and what it's seen before.
    You'll know when you try. If metabolism adjusts down quickly after initial weight loss, you'll know it wasn't long enough. So TDEE for probably sedentary during surgery recovery time.
    Though during recovery you might try some form of 5 / 2 fasting, 5 days at TDEE, 2 spaced out rest days at 25% of TDEE. Yields 21% avg deficit, but in a manner studies have shown great health benefits with and fat loss.
  • lisasdoinit
    lisasdoinit Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I was scanning through the posts in this thread (if i do more than scan the math and acronyms completely overwhelm me lol!) and I just wanted to share my experience so far.

43 years old, 222lbs as of yesterday morning. After years of "doing it all" w.w., jenny, curves, bootcamps (ruptured disk anyone?) my metabolism and body are some big ole mess!! I have found some peace with the concept of "eating more to weigh less" though!! Just finished a 6 week "reset" - the minimum you do to reset your metabolism..and lost 2lbs! Eating 2100-2250 calories a day!! Working out 1 hour a day and really putting in an effort to be more active. I did nothing different this week, then I did three weeks ago - it just took my body this long to trust me not to deprive it again lol!

Sure I lost weight in the past eating 1200 or 1500 calories and working out 2hrs + a day..but i was cranky, antisocial (who can eat out on 1200 calories a day?!) and ate all the no-fat, nothing natural about it foods lol! And I always had "cheat days" "cheat moments' "cheat weekends"..then gave up.

Sure, I've only lost 2lbs in the last 6 weeks. But omg do I feel awesome!! My energy is up, my skin is glowing, even my thin hair is thickening up and not coming out in clumps in the shower!! Best of all I am not "dragging my *kitten*" every where I go:)

I went to see my GP and was whining about this EMTWL concept and how it just better be working and she said it sounded like all the right moves and that based on the years of messing with metabolism it could take 8-12 weeks to completely reset. So, even though I lost 2lbs this week, i'm not going to do a re-calculation just yet (or, in reality ask my very smart bff to do one for me lol!).

So, thanks for all the info, and for sharing your stories - good and bad. It really helped out and I'm very grateful!
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 6 of my reset. I only know it's Week 6 because I had to chart it to see where I am. I think that's a sign of progress ;). Time sure does fly! My workout plan is 3 days of lifting and 2 runs (I'm training to run a 5K in May). My workouts have not been consistent. I didn't work out the first 2-3 weeks because I went on vacation and had a hard time getting back into my groove. I started working out again and upped my calories to the appropriate TDEE. Since I began, I have gained about 7 pounds, but my weight has remained stable for the past 2 weeks. I'm hoping it levels off in the next couple of weeks. *fingers crossed*

I thought I would have blown up by now, but most of my clothes still fit. I have been wearing leggings and yoga pants more lately lol. My workouts are SO much better, and I'm so much happier. My hair and nails are growing like crazy. I'm sleeping much better. My libido is back with a vengeance (TMI? my bad...), which I'm sure my hubby is happy about. I've gained a few inches here and there, in the right places. Actually, I wouldn't mind keeping *those* inches when I start cutting. ;)

I'm doing okay with my macros. Some days are better than others. I don't binge nearly as much as I did when I was undereating. I don't even crave sweets as much, even though I still eat sugar. I've been eating full fat greek yogurt and cottage cheese, which I don't think I can give up. How can I go back to nonfat when I've tasted the Promised Land?

So, two thumbs up for the reset. If anyone is on the fence about doing this, just do it. I wasted SO much time killing myself with workouts and not eating enough to support my activity. I don't even know how long it's going to take me to lose the remaining 25 pounds, and I don't really care. I know that I'm taking care of myself now, which was really my intention when I started this journey.
  • amandacepstein
    amandacepstein Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 6 of my reset. I only know it's Week 6 because I had to chart it to see where I am. I think that's a sign of progress ;). Time sure does fly! My workout plan is 3 days of lifting and 2 runs (I'm training to run a 5K in May). My workouts have not been consistent. I didn't work out the first 2-3 weeks because I went on vacation and had a hard time getting back into my groove. I started working out again and upped my calories to the appropriate TDEE. Since I began, I have gained about 7 pounds, but my weight has remained stable for the past 2 weeks. I'm hoping it levels off in the next couple of weeks. *fingers crossed*

I thought I would have blown up by now, but most of my clothes still fit. I have been wearing leggings and yoga pants more lately lol. My workouts are SO much better, and I'm so much happier. My hair and nails are growing like crazy. I'm sleeping much better. My libido is back with a vengeance (TMI? my bad...), which I'm sure my hubby is happy about. I've gained a few inches here and there, in the right places. Actually, I wouldn't mind keeping *those* inches when I start cutting. ;)

I'm doing okay with my macros. Some days are better than others. I don't binge nearly as much as I did when I was undereating. I don't even crave sweets as much, even though I still eat sugar. I've been eating full fat greek yogurt and cottage cheese, which I don't think I can give up. How can I go back to nonfat when I've tasted the Promised Land?

So, two thumbs up for the reset. If anyone is on the fence about doing this, just do it. I wasted SO much time killing myself with workouts and not eating enough to support my activity. I don't even know how long it's going to take me to lose the remaining 25 pounds, and I don't really care. I know that I'm taking care of myself now, which was really my intention when I started this journey.

Great attitude!
  • heybales
    Options

Great attitude and holding out.
    Keep the full-fat stuff during the cut, that is good enough fat to have, I like it too, much more filling.

It'll be interesting how much of an impact the deficit makes on your lifting. You will get hungry, that's for sure. But just hold out and accept that improvements may slow down a tad. Depends on if you are done making improvements with existing muscle, and only new will continue improvements, or some existing still available to tap for strength gains.

Indeed keep close watch on those slow gains near the end here, as that will indicate how close you are to TDEE for this level of activity.
  • kitka82
    Options

Great attitude and holding out.
    Keep the full-fat stuff during the cut, that is good enough fat to have, I like it too, much more filling.

It'll be interesting how much of an impact the deficit makes on your lifting. You will get hungry, that's for sure. But just hold out and accept that improvements may slow down a tad. Depends on if you are done making improvements with existing muscle, and only new will continue improvements, or some existing still available to tap for strength gains.

Indeed keep close watch on those slow gains near the end here, as that will indicate how close you are to TDEE for this level of activity.

Thanks for the encouragement heybales. :)
  • kitka82
    Options

Great attitude!

Thanks Amanda. It's definitely not easy gaining weight intentionally after focusing so long on weight loss. But it's worth it if I can get myself together. :)
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    For someone who had been struggling around 12, 14, 1600 cals for years eating at 22-2400 cals seemed like a great resest for me. I have been able to maintain size and really boost my workouts around that levels for a few months. However, my TDEE is really 2400 rest or 2800-3000 on a workout day. I have not yet brought myself to eat that much. I feel like 2200 and plenty which scoppy says is my cut. But I feel like I'm not loosing fat around 2200 which I've been doing for a while. Perhaps I need to take this resest to the next level. I've already improved my metabolism being able to maintain at 2200 but that should be a cut rate. Do I really need to start cramming in 2800 cals for a while? I just can't believe it or imagine being able to do it. Or should I just cut down to 2000?
  • heybales
    Options
    For someone who had been struggling around 12, 14, 1600 cals for years eating at 22-2400 cals seemed like a great resest for me. I have been able to maintain size and really boost my workouts around that levels for a few months. However, my TDEE is really 2400 rest or 2800-3000 on a workout day. I have not yet brought myself to eat that much. I feel like 2200 and plenty which scoppy says is my cut. But I feel like I'm not loosing fat around 2200 which I've been doing for a while. Perhaps I need to take this resest to the next level. I've already improved my metabolism being able to maintain at 2200 but that should be a cut rate. Do I really need to start cramming in 2800 cals for a while? I just can't believe it or imagine being able to do it. Or should I just cut down to 2000?

Since the basis of that estimated TDEE is the BMR, are you using the best Katch BMR based on bodyfat%?

There can be 200-400 spreads I've seen in many cases.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/813720-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia band that measures my TDEE. Which is pretty close to the "Scooby" website that EM2WL always shows up. I think I'm going to start to try to cut at 2000 and see what happens :)
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    bump
  • vesperpt
    vesperpt Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just started week 6 of my reset and I'm fighting the urge to start my cut. I weighed in yesterday and I'm up another .6 of a pound. First week I went up 3 pounds and since then I've been yo-yo-ing with a total of 5 pounds up. How close to maintaining would you consider to be ready to cut?
    I'm really enjoying eating more but I also am starting to feel pretty crummy about being back up another 5. :(
  • kitka82
    Options
    Welp, this is the 8th week of my reset. I have enjoyed eating more. I have gained 11 pounds, and my clothes are just beginning to feel tight. I'm glad I have stuck out the whole 8 weeks though. If I had started a little earlier, I would go for 4 more weeks.

Vesperpt, you want to maintain within a pound or so for at least a couple of weeks before ending your reset. 5 pounds up is not bad at all! I would gladly have taken that over 11 pounds lol. 2 more weeks at reset sure beats cutting too soon, stalling out early, and wasting the 6 weeks. That's just my opinion though. Ultimately you must decide what is right for you.
  • heybales
    Options
    I know many have commented that if you are still that tied to the scale, because not once did you mention measurements being up, down, or the same - you need to go longer.

Because you stressing about the scale that no one can see, is an additional stress you don't need.

Additionally, if that tied to results seen there, you are likely not going to hold out when other measurements are going down except for weight.

Ditto's to kitka's comment that impatience now may just add to longer time. Perhaps that's easier for folks that have stalled for 9 months or so, few weeks is nothing to them.

So 3 lb water weight gain is nothing and expected. And 2 other lbs up and down almost sounds like water weight too.
    Confirm only weigh-in you look at is valid instead of driving yourself crazy with fluctuations.

You may not have even gone up enough.
  • kitka82
    Options
    Last day of my reset. :)

I'm up 11 pounds, right at 180. Holy bananas. My clothes are a bit snug, and I've gained a couple of inches. No one has really noticed my weight gain, except my mom who said I've got a booty now (lol) and I know my husband has noticed, but he compliments me on my body all the time. Good man ;)

I'm starting my cut tomorrow at TDEE-15%, because I am now 20 pounds above my goal weight. Reaching for 160. I was reaching for 150 but I like the little extra bit of lusciousness I gained and I'm hoping to keep some of it...

I will not be doing 5 hours of exercise each week, I'll tell you that right now. I work full time, I have a 30 minute lunch break and two kiddos who are looking for dinner when I get home. Plus I'm moonlighting as an aspiring fashion designer/seamstress, so I spend a lot of nights sewing. I am training for two races (a 5K and the Warrior Dash), so I'm going to set my calorie goal between lightly and moderately active to around 1900 calories. So it's a bit less than 15% but that's alright. Taking progress pics tomorrow. We'll see how this goes.
  • aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I am REALLY considering this reset. I was on Medifast for 5/6 months and prior to this I'd go on short bits of eating 1000 calories meanwhile burning 1000 calories off, needless to say that didn't last longer than a month. I didn't know anything about tdee, bmr, muscle loss etc. Had I known I wouldn't have gotten on Medifast nor would I have waited so long to weight train.

I believe my metabolism is jacked because of Medifast. After I got off of it I started MFP, read up on tdee, bmr etc. Anyways I've notice that I only lose weight when I eat 1600 gross (bmr 1550-1580) and do not eat back exercise calories which will leave me a net of 1000-1200 calories. Based off of online calcs my tdee is 2400-2500 calories and a 15%-20% cut should leave me with at the very least of 1900 calories to lose about 1 lb/week.
    This has led me to believe that I may need a metabolism reset.

Right now I'm about 8 lbs from my gw, but 'diets' like Medifast and no weight training has left me with a less desirable body fat. I'm afraid of gaining 10+ lbs as I'm only 178 lbs. Last weigh in I was 180.2 @32.58% bf.

For exercise I weight train 3x/week and do 30 mins on the elliptical 2x/week. I sometimes play basketball 1-2x on the weekend for about 2 hours around 2-3 weekends a month where I burn 700-1500 cals per session.

I would like to get down anywhere between 155-165 (wherever i feel comfortable) with bf% of 21-25%

So I would like to assume I would do a reset for 8-12 weeks or until I consistently gain weight over a period of 3 weeks so I can find my true tdee.

My intake is 1600 gross, so what is the smartest way to up my calories to maintenance without a huge gain of fat? I will still be doing my normal workouts of 3x weight train, 2x cardio.

For days that I play bball and burn 700-1500 calories, how many calories should I eat back?

Is it still possible to lower my body fat % through this process of maintenance? I know I've seen posts where people have lost body fat without losing weight.

Thanks so much for your help!