WoW idea: occasional casual guild?

Options
Muldactus
Muldactus Posts: 6,972 Member
For the WoW players in here, what do you think of the idea of getting together on a new server and creating alts and a new Guild to hang out occasionally and chat? My thought was to pick a new server, and create a new guild that we could log into occasionally and chat about how our journey's are going, motivate each other, joke around, and maybe even learn from each other. Not necessarily looking at it as a full-time guild (although anyone wanting to move a main there and make that guild and server their main would certainly be welcome to do so).

Anyone interested?

Replies

• shady81x
    shady81x Posts: 290
    Options
    If I ain't wrong, someone had the same idea not too long ago, but no one actually did anything about it. Too much of a hassle maybe? Or it might be the thought of levelling a fresh toon on a fresh server w/o all the "perks" u're accustomed to back in your "home realm" (I for sure will miss the heirlooms, bags, professions backup & starter gold!) :laugh:

But yeah, if it happens, though I'm like on a totally different timezone, I'll b keen :bigsmile:
  • Muldactus
    Options
    I'm certainly willing to follow through with it - create the guild, get a few guild bank tabs, and create a tabard..... however I'd prefer to wait and make sure I wouldn't be the only one ever logging in. I'd be perfectly willing to run around occasionally with an "MFP" guild tag over my head. :)
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a fab idea, but I'm guessing you're talking US servers....
  • shady81x
    Options
    With D3 being all tt people can talk abt these days... I'm pretty much the only person who ever logs on my guild anymore. And even so, not much :laugh:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I tried doing this back when I played WoW. The problem was that in the end MMOs simply don't create a gaming experience that's really viable for "casual" gamers. If you're not pushing for progression there's really no place for you in those games.
  • unassembledandy
    Options
    id say the opposite

especially WoW, my entire guild (easy_mode) were casuals

we'd just hang out doing some heroics, or group up for dailys, run old instances naked invent our own stupid races accross XYZ etc..

we left "progression" for the people that could put thier gaming on a schedule
  • shady81x
    Options
    I tried doing this back when I played WoW. The problem was that in the end MMOs simply don't create a gaming experience that's really viable for "casual" gamers. If you're not pushing for progression there's really no place for you in those games.

How long ago was it that u played, and how would u define "casual"?

I feel Blizzard has made WoW into a relatively casual-friendly game. With Cataclysm, players now have the flexibility to not raid 25s or even choose not to raid with a schedule anymore with the LFR mode. My guild raids once per week (2 if u count the occasional alt raid). Some of us only logon during raid days. While our progression isn't fancy, I'd say we're doing pretty well with 2 rogues in the guild getting their legendary daggers + ending up with 4/8 HM DS10 b4 we all went over to D3 :wink:
  • contingencyplan
    Options

How long ago was it that u played, and how would u define "casual"?

I feel Blizzard has made WoW into a relatively casual-friendly game. With Cataclysm, players now have the flexibility to not raid 25s or even choose not to raid with a schedule anymore with the LFR mode. My guild raids once per week (2 if u count the occasional alt raid). Some of us only logon during raid days. While our progression isn't fancy, I'd say we're doing pretty well with 2 rogues in the guild getting their legendary daggers + ending up with 4/8 HM DS10 b4 we all went over to D3 :wink:

I quit in 2007 shortly before the WotLK expansion came out. I recently quit EVE Online for the same reason and I've already grown tired of D3 now that I've hit 60 all for the same reasons:

I _hate_ farming. All of these games eventually reach a point where the only thing driving further progression is the in-game desire to acquire more or better "stuff." The problem is I don't care about "stuff" and I have no patience for repeating the same content more than once in a game. I played exclusively for PvP and once I saw the inside of a dungeon or a raid I never wanted to see it again. The games were never challenging for me because the NPCs didn't have any real A.I. They don't learn from you or adapt to you so beating them is all a matter of memorizing patterns which to me is BOOOOORING. We kept the game mildly entertaining during raids by insisting that our guild's MT (who was a heavy drinker) get absolutely trashed before each raid. We needed the element of unpredictability that came with having a drunk tank to keep things from getting monotonous.

What keeps games entertaining for me is the challenge, and computer-controlled opponents who, in order to defeat, you need only to acquire better gear and memorize their basic patterns, present no challenge. I need to be playing against an opponent who requires legitimate outside-the-box thinking to beat, to keep me on my toes. Being told that no matter how skilled I am it will never be able to compensate for lack of gear is disheartening to me and makes the game seem like utter trash. That's just me though.

Skill should trump all other variables. Always. If that isn't the case, then the game seems pointless to me.
  • poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    Options
    My toons are dusty! I haven't truly played WoW since last April. Sounds like fun, however.
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Also, I define "Casual" as being able to come and go as you please without committing to any specific timeframe when you log in as well as putting gaming AFTER a lot of other things on your priority list.
  • Muldactus
    Options
    Well, the idea stands.... If people are interested in something like that, let me know and I'll create a guild on a random server. Yeah, it would be a US time server, but I'm on fairly late so it's entirely possible that EU people could try it and possibly catch some of us.

Want a challenge? make your own. I levelled a priest to lvl 53 without ever doing ANY damage or killing anything. How about creating a hobbit? Make a gnome rogue and refuse to ever wear shoes. I've got a Warlock going right now where I absolutely refuse to use any XP aids - no rested XP, no heirlooms, nothin. Won't be fast, but oughta be fun. Just level by running dungeons? Just level through PVP? Level on 1 continent and never visit the other? There are challenges available, you've just gotta make your own sometimes. :)
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I would be down.
  • Muldactus
    Options
    For those interested, chime in on what your preferences would be. Can't guarantee that we can give everyone exactly what they want, but we can do it democratically.

1: Horde or Alliance?
    2: PVP server or PVE server?

My preference would be for a PVE server, but I don't have any major Horde/Alliance preference.

Next vote? :)
  • shady81x
    Options
    1: Horde or Alliance?
    2: PVP server or PVE server?

1. doesn't matter
    2. PvE. My main is a PvP realm (Barthilas). It'll b nice to do dailies in peace for a change :laugh:
  • Muldactus
    Options
    Just giving this a bump to see if anyone else was interested and/or had preference for side or server type?
  • Purpleflipflops
    Purpleflipflops Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Just giving this a bump to see if anyone else was interested and/or had preference for side or server type?

I'd Be down :)
    Either Alliance or Horde is Fine. PVP or PVE are both Fine by me too :)

BTW: The Hobbit Idea is Hilarious! Never heard of that!
  • nicosland
    nicosland Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group but I'd be up for this. I'm a casual player of WoW and have been thinking of creating a new character and starting from scratch.
  • Muldactus
    Options
    alright, we had a few people post interest, and hopefully we can gain some more over time. With that in mind, I'm going to go ahead and get started and see who wants to join!

Server: Lightbringer (Normal/PVE)
    Allegiance: Alliance

I've created a Dwarven Shaman named Oldeman. I'm gonna start with Mining (because ores sell well, and the gold will help start the guild) and Tailoring, so that hopefully I can reach a point to start making bags for those who join us.

Once I've gotten the gold together to get some fast guild sigs, I'll start a guild called "MFP".

If and when you're ready to start that journey together, create a character on Lightbringer, add Oldeman to friends and either say hi or send me a message. And lets have some fun. :)
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'll do it. Might take a couple days, but I'm down.
  • Friday74
    Friday74 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm in as a casual player - won't be able to play much for a few days, but I'll add you today!