Self conscious in the gym doing NROLFW!

Options
MrsKosal
MrsKosal Posts: 415 Member
I've never been the shy type at the gym, but for some reason since starting NROL I am! When I used to use all the strength machines, I was fine, but adding in step up's, push ups, dead lifts, etc. in front of everyone else using machines, makes me nervous. I know I am doing the right thing, but for some reason I feel like all eyes are on me and I hate that. When in all reality, I know that no one is really paying attention. I don't stare at other people workouts either. LOL.

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Dont worry, guys enjoy it :p
  • MrsKosal
    Options
    I'm sure they do! LOL. I think it would bother me less if there were MORE people there, but when I go on lunch there are maybe a handful. Since my husband is on nights all week, I've been needing to go at lunch because of our daughters.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I remember feeling the same way, and honestly, I am so happy to be able to workout at home now after having a gym membership for almost 9 months (we moved to the boonies). However, you just really have to get over it and focus on you, you are doing this for you, not them!!!! Put your music on loud and dont even maintain eye contact lol. In no time at all those guys will be jealous of your lifts!
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Hahaha - that's part of the problem... We know they do!
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options

^^^^ pig ^^^^ :)

ok, funny story.

i was doing the 1A workout a couple days ago. i finished the step-ups using the 20lb dumbbells (don't mock me, i just started) and turned around to put them back on the rack, and there is a guy standing there. he was looking at the dumbbells and paused at the empty space where the 20s were to go. it seemed pretty obvious that that's what he was looking for, but when i smiled at him and put them back.......he just looked at them for a second......and didn't pick them up. he just walked away to another set. i SWEAR he was looking for those 20s. i can't imagine why he changed his mind. :laugh:
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options

LOL! I'm sure you think that's helpful as a guy, but us gals prefer to feel confident when the guys are staring at us!!! Not self conscious! :tongue:

All said though, you are right ssgtwifey when you say no one is paying attention. Try to focus on what you are doing and ignore the world because focus is what helps you get a good workout...without it, your workout will suffer. I am pretty sure I'd feel the same as you though, so I'm not saying that lightly!

If all else fails, imagine that everyone in the room is naked but you....that should help you feel more secure! :laugh:
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Hi

I think people are probably staring because, well, it's unusually to see a female dead lifting, working the free weights, etc.
    At least in my experience, it's been a male dominated section.

So perhaps people are just curious...... Women could be thinking...."wow, what's she up to?" "I wonder if I should be lifting weights too.......I'll watch her and see how it goes......"

Men could be thinking..... "HOT.....a lady lifting!".......... Or "please don't let her be able to lift more than me!!!!!"

People are curious, we see something different, new, unusual or interesting and we stare........especially if we're trapped on an elliptical.
  • MrsKosal
    Options

^^^^ pig ^^^^ :)

ok, funny story.

i was doing the 1A workout a couple days ago. i finished the step-ups using the 20lb dumbbells (don't mock me, i just started) and turned around to put them back on the rack, and there is a guy standing there. he was looking at the dumbbells and paused at the empty space where the 20s were to go. it seemed pretty obvious that that's what he was looking for, but when i smiled at him and put them back.......he just looked at them for a second......and didn't pick them up. he just walked away to another set. i SWEAR he was looking for those 20s. i can't imagine why he changed his mind. :laugh:

That is hilarious!!! I did 15 lbs with my step up! So don't feel wimpy! LOL. I think I'll up to 20 next time. I just feel like they are judging me and thinking "Why is she doing that?" I need to get over it. I do Day 2 in about 30 minutes! I'm nervous about the deadlifts.
  • PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what has kept me from getting into lifting yet! I'm an introvert, and I don't like working out in public as it is!
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    That is hilarious!!! I did 15 lbs with my step up! So don't feel wimpy! LOL. I think I'll up to 20 next time. I just feel like they are judging me and thinking "Why is she doing that?" I need to get over it. I do Day 2 in about 30 minutes! I'm nervous about the deadlifts.

Don't worry about the deadlifts...those are my FAVORITE!!! They're great, and you'll feel really buff. I'm up to 115 on those suckers. It's the lunges I hate........I've been stuck at 60 lbs on those for a while. Mostly because that maxes out the weight I can put on my dumbbells, but even if I could bump up higher, I'm pretty sure I'd get sloppy at anything more than 60 right now. And the prone jackknives from the other workout? Criminy, nothing makes me feel more wretched or inadequate than trying to do those. I almost always collapse on the floor when I finish my last set of those beasts. WRETCHEDDDDDD!!
  • MrsKosal
    Options
    I've always loved back workouts, so I have a feeling I'll like the deadlifts too! We'll see! I just hope I find the right bar. I'm pretty sure I know where they are. LOL
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    Options
    That was exactly how I felt. I posted about it as well. I don't use the exercise program in there all the way (Im such a rebel, I know) but it is awkward when you feel like EVERYONE knows you are doing something new and they are starring!!! I was getting some minor anxiety over this same issue.
    Unfortunately that can't be entirely helped, but just go, Get in there and eventually, you'll just be in the zone.
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Initially I got a lot of stares because I was a novelty. I'm the only woman lifting at the time of day I go to the gym. Then when the novelty wore off they stopped looking--until I started increasing my weight and outlifting some of the guys. Then I got a lot of stares again. Now? They are checking the weight I lift more than checking me out (although that still happens, especially on straight leg dead lifts with my *kitten* sticking out and me bent over). Music on my iPhone has helped me zone out and ignore.
  • Karalopolous
    Karalopolous Posts: 574
    Options
    I've always loved back workouts, so I have a feeling I'll like the deadlifts too! We'll see! I just hope I find the right bar. I'm pretty sure I know where they are. LOL

Also, just watch pther people who seem to have correct form. When I started dead lifting, I asked the guy who was already dead lifting. You could play it off and be like "I haven't dead lidted in a while, I forgot is it shoulder width apart or more?" Sometimes you gotta fake it til you make it :smokin:
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am a 4'11'' femal doing free weight....yep let just say that I do not blend in.

They look , they emjoy, I feel badass. ...and I even moan and grunt.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I feel badass. ...and I even moan and grunt.

Yessssssssssssssssss. *fist pump*
    Hot. :)
  • fiveohmike
    Options

Lol don't feel bad, it works the other way too....guys get self conscious when girls are in the weight area. For some reason we get the idea that we can lift 10-15lbs more than we should...

You will be there doing bicep curls with the 30lb dumbbells....a girl walks into the area...and your brain immediately goes to "Crap grab the 40's!!! STAT!!!!"

Thats being self conscious as well :)
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My heartrate is up just thinking about transitioning over to that room in a few weeks. I am going to have to do it as my women's only section of the gym only goes up to 30's. I don't want any attention at all!! GAH! Next week, I will be on vacation and my husband will show my the way around a weight room so I won't be nervous when I'm with him. I just don't want to do it all by myself later on. I need to gain some confidence somehow!
  • fiveohmike
    Options
    Oh and one other thing I have seen at every gym I have ever been to.

The free weights area is a very social environment for the most part. People rest 30-60 seconds between reps, so they chat it up with each other.

I admit there probably are creeps out there, but its hard not to check out someone in the free weights area. Guys do it to guys, girls do it to guys, girls do it to girls, and guys do it to girls.
  • jyska
    jyska Posts: 728 Member
    Options

Lol don't feel bad, it works the other way too....guys get self conscious when girls are in the weight area. For some reason we get the idea that we can lift 10-15lbs more than we should...

You will be there doing bicep curls with the 30lb dumbbells....a girl walks into the area...and your brain immediately goes to "Crap grab the 40's!!! STAT!!!!"

Thats being self conscious as well :)

LOL! too funny....we people are such funny creatures..... :laugh: