Protein powder recs

Options
2»

Replies

• rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Bumping to remember the PP names to check out!!!
  • Joeyje3
    Joeyje3 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • daniii6
    daniii6 Posts: 23
    Options
    I use Truetein Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup and it is DELICIOUS!! The other flavors are also amazing (cinnabun, chocolate dipped strawberry, chocolate covered banana)...it's a blend of whey, casein and egg white protein. 23g protein and 115 calories for most of the flavors.

It also has Omega 3s, BCAAs, Glutamine and a whole bunch of other stuff :)

Seriously though, it tastes amazing!
  • quie618
    quie618 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bump for interested people!
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm using Gaspari Nutrition Myofusion in milk chocolate and I LOVE it!!! I mix it with skim milk (sometimes unsweetened almond milk) and some PB2 and it's like a chocolate-PB milkshake!! Oh and it has 25 grams of protein per serving!

I've also tried Trader Joe's whey protein in vanilla and that was pretty good. I have Jillian Michael's whey protein in vanilla and while I'm not wild about it, it works when I need some extra protein.
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I use Gold Standard 100% Natural Whey. 130 calories per scoop (1 serving) 24g protein.
  • PittGatorJD
    Options
    Muscle Gauge Nutrition Pure Whey Isolate

Tastes amazing, and I've tried many. No fat, 110 calories for 25g of protein, BCAAs....This protein powder is amazing. I usually get mine from Nutraplanet or Muscle and Strength. It's almost always sold out...which should tell you how amazing it is. All the flavors rock except vanilla. My favorite is easily the Chocolate Mint or Banana, while my wife is head over heels for the Cake Batter and Ice Cream Sandwich. Also great price! ~$50 for 5 lbs. Can't beat that.

Try this!
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I've just been using Body Fortress super advanced whey isolate in vanilla creme. I like it, I can drink it mixed with water and actually enjoy it, lol. I don't know how it stacks up against other isolates on the market tho, it's not expensive, 2 lbs for a little over $20. One scoop has 130 cal and 30g protein. No fat, 2g carbs, <1g sugar.
  • meggyh20
    meggyh20 Posts: 116
    Options
    I just ordered Syntha6 from Amazon because it had great reviews on taste, and mixes well with water (according to reviews). It should arrive tomorrow so I'll be back with a review. I got chocolate milkshake and vanilla ice cream.

The chocolate milkshake flavor arrived today and I just had to try a little. I mixed half a scoop with some water and it mixed pretty well and tasted better than most I've tried. Only downside is 200 calories per serving, but I used to have to mix my other powder with milk so that's okay. I read some glowing reviews of Truetein today though and would really like to try that next.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am using Bluebonnet whey isolate at the moment. They don't use artificial sweeteners. I love it
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    The vegan protein powders are so expensive. I may just go on an all bean diet....:laugh:

I bought yesterday some pure pea protein without flavour or sweetener. Didn't try it yet. It was only 12£ a kg, which is really good.
    I got it from the NutriCenter. I am in the UK though
  • each_day_stronger
    each_day_stronger Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all...

As someone who isn't doing intense strength training/workouts yet (I can't afford a gym just yet so I've just been doing some push ups and walking) would you still recommend adding protein? As a vegetarian I get a fair amount of protein in terms of grams but usually not more than 14-15% of my diet, so I'm considering this might be a good idea when I get a job and can afford it.

I also wonder why protein shakes are recommended but more generally processed foods are not? I don't really understand, isn't a protein shake like the epitome of processed food? Forgive my skepticism, just trying to finally teach myself what is healthy and what isn't and why.

Thanks!!
  • ouandi
    ouandi Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all...

As someone who isn't doing intense strength training/workouts yet (I can't afford a gym just yet so I've just been doing some push ups and walking) would you still recommend adding protein? As a vegetarian I get a fair amount of protein in terms of grams but usually not more than 14-15% of my diet, so I'm considering this might be a good idea when I get a job and can afford it.

I also wonder why protein shakes are recommended but more generally processed foods are not? I don't really understand, isn't a protein shake like the epitome of processed food? Forgive my skepticism, just trying to finally teach myself what is healthy and what isn't and why.

Thanks!!

Protein powder is not processed in the way you think it's processed. It's "broken down" to the whey part of milk. Every heard of curds and whey? People used to eat whey all the time in the old days. My husband and I just had a discussion about this and found a whole website that talks about curds and whey and what they are.

Anyways, I'm terribly lactose intolerant and GNC whey isolate is wonderful for me. It is from cow milk but doesn't have lactose. I think all whey isolates are like that. It's 140 calories, 28g protein, and 4 carbs. I suck it down at least once a day.
  • alcon79
    alcon79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I use EAS protein powder in chocolate and vanilla. A tub of it is around $20 at Target and it mixes really well with water and in a blender bottle. About 120 cals and 24g of protein.

I also like their Advantedge low carb drinks - about 110 cals and 17g protein. I take them to work since they're much more transportable.
  • nyspotlight
    nyspotlight Posts: 124
    Options
    I just ordered from truenutrition.com I'll have to let you know how I like it

You can customize your protein powder. They have a bunch of different kinds of pure protein powder, with options to add supplemental vitamins, carbs, even flax oil powder. I did a blend of pea protein, brown rice protein and soy. But they even have beef protein (WEIRD!).

Then they have a bunch of flavor options, and you can add different kinds of sweetener or none at all.

And it came out to half the price of what I see at trader joe's.

Brilliant concept. Hope it's good.
  • daniii6
    daniii6 Posts: 23
    Options
    I just ordered Syntha6 from Amazon because it had great reviews on taste, and mixes well with water (according to reviews). It should arrive tomorrow so I'll be back with a review. I got chocolate milkshake and vanilla ice cream.

The chocolate milkshake flavor arrived today and I just had to try a little. I mixed half a scoop with some water and it mixed pretty well and tasted better than most I've tried. Only downside is 200 calories per serving, but I used to have to mix my other powder with milk so that's okay. I read some glowing reviews of Truetein today though and would really like to try that next.

On the website for Trutein you can order samples of the flavors to try first! I think it is ~$2 for each flavor and it makes one protein shake. I did that first to try all the flavors and decide if I liked it and which flavor I liked best.
  • meggyh20
    meggyh20 Posts: 116
    Options

On the website for Trutein you can order samples of the flavors to try first! I think it is ~$2 for each flavor and it makes one protein shake. I did that first to try all the flavors and decide if I liked it and which flavor I liked best.

Thanks for the info! Can't wait to try them!