I want bigger arms???

Options

Replies

• AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    I would of added 16lbs if I continue the way I am in 1 year. If the maximum muscle I can gain is 8 pounds then I don't understand how eating more can help me gain more muscle than I would be already??
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Actually my workouts now take about 1/2 as long as they used to. I've dropped the # of sets AND dropped the reps. But this won't work unless you push really hard to increase the weight. The logic for this type of working out is muscles won't get stimulated by lots of reps with a low weight. They get stimulated (torn up) by lifting more weight then they are used to or comfortable lifting. But if you do this you have to rest and eat allot of protein throughout the day to let them rebuild. There is a great book on Amazon called High Intensity Training the Mike Metzner way. Thsi goes into allot of detail on this type of training.

Good luck!
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    Okay I'll check it out. Thanks. I eat lots of protein in a number of meals already. I'll try lifting heavier for less reps and add an extra warm up set in.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I would of added 16lbs if I continue the way I am in 1 year. If the maximum muscle I can gain is 8 pounds then I don't understand how eating more can help me gain more muscle than I would be already??

You can gain 8 lbs of new muscle tissue. That doesn't count the water, glycogen and new connective tissue needed to support the new muscle.

To state my point for the third time, going with the slow approach is perfectly fine, but you can't decide to go that route on one hand and be impatient with the rate of your growth on the other.
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    Okay so how much over would you suggest I eat? I'm about 500kcal a day at the minute and when I have increased it more than that then I just seem to get fat fast.

And its only one area that I'm not happy with my current progress.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    Okay so how much over would you suggest I eat? I'm about 500kcal a day at the minute and when I have increased it more than that then I just seem to get fat fast.

And its only one area that I'm not happy with my current progress.

I think you could slowly increase cals to the point where your current rate of progress jumps to about 2lbs per month. I find that to still be a fairly conservative goal
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    I'll look into it. Thanks for your input :)
  • NikoM5
    NikoM5 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Could you post your exact routine including which exercises?
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    eat more. and squat.
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    Its kinda mixed up atm as I've just joined a Gym. I was working out at home until 2 days ago.
    I generally do 4 exercises for the big muscle groups and 3 for the small.
    You could point me toward a good workout if you like as I'm due for a change over the next couple of weeks anyway. I try to change it up every 6 - 8 weeks.
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    I eat plenty and I do squat lol
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    eat more. and squat.

Yes, squat for bigger arms. Also make sure you're curling for bigger calves.
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    Lol do sit-ups for bigger ears
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    eat more. and squat.

From my understanding squats, or other compound lifts that work the majority of the lower body, will help with bigger arms. Since legs are a larger muscle group when you work them your body releases more testosterone and HGH, this in turn helps all the other muscle you work along with legs use some of it to increase gains that you would otherwise not get.

This, and that working legs gives you a strong base to work from making you able to lift more on all other lifts.
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    Lol yeah I gathered that's what he was shooting for, but all compound lifts generate more hormone for muscle growth.
  • UponThisRock
    Options
    eat more. and squat.

From my understanding squats, or other compound lifts that work the majority of the lower body, will help with bigger arms. Since legs are a larger muscle group when you work them your body releases more testosterone and HGH, this in turn helps all the other muscle you work along with legs use some of it to increase gains that you would otherwise not get.

This, and that working legs gives you a strong base to work from making you able to lift more on all other lifts.

Raising test or GH for a little bit for a few hours won't do crap for muscle gains. You're not even raising test above normal levels. Why do you think all these "natural test booster" products on the market are garbage?

Besides, wanna know what else "releases more testosterone and HGH?" Upper body exercises.
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    Having sex and eating more nuts are mean't to raise testosterone too.
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    Still unhappy with arms :( Guess its because I'm naturally skinny. Wish there was a miracle grow I could pump into my arms lol.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    eat more and lift heavier. just don't overthink it.
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    eat more and lift heavier. just don't overthink it.