Clean eating - what does it mean to YOU! (new)

Options
MeDoula
MeDoula Posts: 233 Member
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the group. In the last couple years, my eating habits changed a lot but could be better. We try to eat lots organic, fruit, veggies, whole grains, etc.

I've been browsing the group and I wondered....what does "clean eating" mean to you personally?

I look forward to getting to know everyone and make new friends with same goals.

Replies

• WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruits and veggies, switching from white to brown..most importantly staying under 2500mg sodium.
  • FitHeatherEatsClean
    Options
    For me it means eating lean meats, vegetables, nuts & seeds, some fruit, little starch, and no sugar. Avoiding processed foods and seeking wholesome ingredients in any recipes. It also means feeling great and glowing from the inside out. Eating clean has an immediate impact on how I feel and it gives me fuel to power through my hard core workouts :happy:
  • adry20
    adry20 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    To me clean eating means eating everything as close to it's natural state as possible, minimally processed. We eat a lot of organic produce, we eat sprouted grain bread but still eat some whole wheat, I try to avoid anything artificial or genetically engineered, I don't touch soy products and eat very minimum corn, I try to drink raw goat and cow's milk whenever I can get myself to my local farm and I also buy local grass fed meats, pastured eggs, we eat whole milk yogurt and I make my own kefir and kombucha (great on probiotics).
  • tazzamac
    tazzamac Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am still quite new to eating clean but to me it means cutting out the unnatural stuff. So no preservatives, no numbers, and very few ingredients. My main goal is trying to find foods that don't give me reactions as I suffer from IBS and used to be bloated pretty much every day of my life. I am not completely clean yet, although I am getting there, and I certainly notice when I eat something that is not clean. All the more motivation to clean up my act, pun intended ;p
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Fresh, organic, minimally processed foods as locally sourced as possible. No artificial anything. I also believe that clean eating should include free trade food--especially products like coffee and cacao where many times the people in 3rd world countries where it is usually grown get practically nothing for it unless it is free trade certified.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I probably a little bit different than everyone else in this group. I don't look at specific food choices as "clean" or "dirty," I consider whether someone's overall diet is healthy or unhealthy. By "healthy" I means getting sufficient micronutrients, protein, EFA's, etc.

I think the important distinction here is that your diet can consist 100% of foods you consider to be "clean," yet you're still lacking in a particular area because your diet isn't balanced. By the same token, depending on your calorie intake you can eat cookies or cake everyday, and still get sufficient micronutrients etc.
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    eating everything natural, no numbers, no preservitives, making my own baked goods (bread, muffins), concentrating on carbs 40/protein 30/ fat 30. Its all about balance and natural foods. Nothing white (sugar/bread/potatoes) all my food is a colour (with the exception of cauliflower). almond or soy milk ect.... the deeper the colour the better for you. also getting 30 gr fibre a day is important to me. Add me if you like :)
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I try to eat less "bar-coded'' foods but I ain't gone lie I AM NOT PERFECT and I eat a chip! So that said I try to eat 'clean' 85-90% of time but that also depends on my budget. Organic food is not cheap. So I get the healthiest fruits and veggies and whole grains I can...I am trying now to eat half plate veggies at lunch and dinner.
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kelley247
    Kelley247 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Clean eating for me is non-processed food. Foods without added vitamins, preservatives, color dyes, etc. I try to buy all organic to support non-genetically modified foods limiting pesticides and chemicals in food supply and the environment. I avoid eating things from cans and plastics. Eating lots of raw, cooked or frozen veggies and fresh fruit. However, this is an ideal situation and I'm definately not able always eat clean.
  • mbojan2
    mbojan2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Simple.......If it didn't grow from the ground or didn't have a mother.......I don't eat it.
  • livelifebreath
    livelifebreath Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just trying to eat less processed foods or making them yourself.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Just trying to eat less processed foods or making them yourself.

Pretty much this. I try to get the majority of my diet from the produce section and meat counter. If I'm getting something that's packaged, I check the label and think "if I was making this from scratch, would I use all these ingredients?"

I don't always stick to that, but that's my main guideline.
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Simple.......If it didn't grow from the ground or didn't have a mother.......I don't eat it.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

For me--(not perfect) but no preservatives--or processed-or refined sugars.

Fresh fruits- veggies---lean fish---water--some dried fruits--nuts--seeds---
    nut milks--
    the jist~
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I try to do a light macrobiotic style diet. Cut way back on processed foods, cut way back on dairy, only lean free range meat. no farmed fish, do to sanitary conditions. Of coarse it all out the door when eating over other peoples houses.
  • I try to eat less "bar-coded'' foods but I ain't gone lie I AM NOT PERFECT and I eat a chip! So that said I try to eat 'clean' 85-90% of time but that also depends on my budget. Organic food is not cheap. So I get the healthiest fruits and veggies and whole grains I can...I am trying now to eat half plate veggies at lunch and dinner.
    I suggest buying your food from Target and Coscio. I just spend $126 last week on organic items minus a few kid friendly items.
  • AdriAfterAll
    AdriAfterAll Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I love it! That's about where I am, too. :)
  • fryxgal
    fryxgal Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm still new to clean eating and learning a lot from posts in this group.
    To me clean eating is cutting out the processed foods and sugar, while using as many fresh ingredients as possible.
    I ask myself, "can I point to it on a farm?"
  • vbutlerb
    vbutlerb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I probably a little bit different than everyone else in this group. I don't look at specific food choices as "clean" or "dirty," I consider whether someone's overall diet is healthy or unhealthy. By "healthy" I means getting sufficient micronutrients, protein, EFA's, etc.

I think the important distinction here is that your diet can consist 100% of foods you consider to be "clean," yet you're still lacking in a particular area because your diet isn't balanced. By the same token, depending on your calorie intake you can eat cookies or cake everyday, and still get sufficient micronutrients etc.

Good point. Focus on getting the essentials in. Rather than focusing on what not to eat. I like that.
  • mariiyah
    mariiyah Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    -avoiding salt, oil & sugar as much as possible.
    -having whole grains instead of refined.
    -completely cutting out junk & processed foods from my life.
    -lots more fruits & veggies.