Intimidated...by 170 grams of protein....HELP!

Options
nettasaura
nettasaura Posts: 173 Member
What might 170 grams of protein per day look like? I am mind boggled at the thought of eating that much meat. There has to be an easier way to do it with out going over on my carbs/fats everyday (145 grams/75 grams).

Any ideas of what 170 grams of protein a day COULD look like? (PS - my protein powder is 16g per 1/4 cup, but I'd like to not be overdoing it on the powder if possible.....crap is expensive {cheapest clean option available to me} no matter which way I slice it.)

HELP....I have until Wednesday to figure out how to am going to get to this amount everyday. After that, if I don't have a game plan, I might go into complete panic mode while grocery shopping. :frown:

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Id check out the Pure Protein from target....its 50g for 2 scoops. Drink two of those a day, and eat some chicken/peanut butter/avacado to get the rest!
  • nettasaura
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion Mike, but that one's not clean enough for me. I'm a bit picky (ok, a lot picky) when it comes to chemical additives in my food. I'm not even happy with the soy lecithin in the one I do have (Bob's Red Mill Whey Protein Concentrate - two ingredients).

Stubby - Thank you for showing me your diary....that really does help...although I am not sure I can afford to buy that much meat all the time (what can I say, I'm poor). Although if I can get it when on sale, I might be eating an awful lot of chicken in the future. ;)

I managed to hit 165 today...but that was with way too much protein powder. :/ I'll figure this out....might spend most of the next two days figuring it out, but I need a game plan before I hit the grocery stores. ;)
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    If you can have dairy- look at cottage cheese. I don't worry about sodium- I have no heart issues and restricting sodium unbalances electrolytes - but that might be a deal breaker there for you. Read the labels- the protein content varies. For a cup of cottage cheese I get almost twice the protein you do in one of your shakes.

Lucia uses an all natural additive free protein powder. Might want to shoot her a PM and ask about it. I can't remember the name of it since I use the cheap stuff.
  • nettasaura
    Options
    Thank you Gemi! I adore cottage cheese...and am still waffling about my salt intake (can't decide on lower or normal). I haven't been able to find a cottage cheese that I am happy with the ingredients on....yet. Not done searching high and low........sometimes the off brands are surprisingly cleaner than name brands.

I'll shoot Lucia a PM. The cleaner I can get the better......although on my budget, there are going to be limits. Ugh. Again...why doesn't money grow on trees or rain from the sky? Life with kids would be a heck of a lot easier.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I use Pulisn' Pea protein Powder.
    It is not very tasty, but it does have nothing else but pea protein in it. I mix it into other food, sweet or savoury. And it is 13£ kilo, so around 18$ for two pounds.
    From the same brand they also do Whey protein powder without any other stuff in it. This one is a bit more expensive though
    http://www.pulsin.co.uk/
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    feel free to look at my diary (just bypass the weekend LOL) i always get between 160-190g per day :)
  • cherrybomb_77
    cherrybomb_77 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Maybe some grass fed whole whey protein powder? I think I'm going to try some when my regular container is out. http://www.swansonvitamins.com/health-library/products/grass-fed-whey-protein-powder.html
  • vatblack
    vatblack Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I liked looking at the diaries. I too cannot afford that much meat and I am also worried about the ingredients in processed foods. I try to avoid them as far as possible, but budgets don't allow it all the time.

I have always thought eating egg whites is just silly. Even though I don't believe eating 2 eggs a day is a cholesterol problem for me (don't have high cholesterol), I don't think eating 4 - 6 eggs a day with the yellow is healthy. That does sound wrong to me. So, since I have to do high protein suddenly I'm starting to consider egg whites. Again, I don't want to buy them in a carton and I'm wondering what I can do the yolks.

I was thinking of making homemade mayo with the leftovers! I did find this too that has loads of (bad for the diet mostly - but on occasion it will be good) foods made from egg yellow only. http://www.fortysomething.ca/2010/04/recipes_to_use_up_extra_egg_yo.php

I'm still pondering the idea of a protein powder....
  • elly1979
    elly1979 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Lucia's protein is dr. Mercola, I believe. Grass fed, all natural. You can find it at iherb.com

I, too, struggle to get in around 165g. I'm really not a fan of chicken. :/

Tuna helps. Also, how about beans? Make a big pot of chili for the week.

I am thinking of making a cookie business. My recipe uses only egg yolks. So that helps with the whites, but without that, geez...
  • rebekahgo
    rebekahgo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    what do you think of this one?

http://www.vitacost.com/lifetime-lifes-basics-plant-protein

i bought this but cannot handle the taste. i initially tried mixing it in with some yogurt, and it made me gag. it might be just fine mixed in a smoothie or something like that, but once something makes me gag, it is just no longer palatable to me.

so, it's probably really weird for a total stranger to offer to send you an opened container of non-identifiable powder...*insert menacing music here*...but i do actually hate for it to go to waste. i will send it to you if you want it. if it makes you feel any more comfortable, i really do not have any time in my busy schedule to be a creepy stalker or anything. just putting the offer out there.
  • baxgilter
    baxgilter Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Jay Robb's protein powder is touted as all all natural, it is pretty tasty but expensive and gives you much more protein in one scoop, I think 25g.

Also there are no salt added cottage cheese's out there.

And another note, fish gives you protein too and is pretty well priced I buy a bag of individually packaged tilapia at sams and it is a very mild fish.
  • elly1979
    elly1979 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    so, it's probably really weird for a total stranger to offer to send you an opened container of non-identifiable powder...*insert menacing music here*...but i do actually hate for it to go to waste. i will send it to you if you want it. if it makes you feel any more comfortable, i really do not have any time in my busy schedule to be a creepy stalker or anything. just putting the offer out there.

Lol. Moments like these are part of why I love this group :D
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    170 grams seems like a lot of protein to me, but our bodies could be completely different. Are you targeting 1 g per lean body mass? Remember to use your BF% to calculate LBM.

As for ways to get protein: tuna, use your protein powder to make muffins/granola bars/pancakes or add it in yogurt and maybe if it's vanilla to your oatmeal or cereal, eat chicken breast and guacamole for a snack, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, beans. I use Jay Robb Egg White protein...I don't remember the ingredient list, but it seemed pretty 'clean' to me. Although I use that term loosely because I don't strictly eat clean just mostly clean.
  • nettasaura
    Options
    Rebeka - sure sweetie! Send me a PM! :flowerforyou:

Ladyace - I'm way up there weight wise (take a peek at my ticker).....170g of protein a day isn't even me eating at TDEE or TDEE cut either....that's only at BMR. Thank goodness the numbers will drop eventually....right now I keep having this mental image of plopping an entire beef hindquarter on my plate. :frown:
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Ladyace - I'm way up there weight wise (take a peek at my ticker).....170g of protein a day isn't even me eating at TDEE or TDEE cut either....that's only at BMR. Thank goodness the numbers will drop eventually....right now I keep having this mental image of plopping an entire beef hindquarter on my plate. :frown:

Remember though that LBM more or less stays the same unless you are really trying to build muscle. My LBM is 130 lb whether I weigh 200 lbs or 175 lbs. My BF% is moving down though. To calculate your LBM take your weight and multiply it by 1-BF%.
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Stubbysticks & Stephanie -- Thanks for sharing your diaries. I've been struggling with meeting my protein goal. Seeing what a typical protein-filled day looks like really helps!!! *friend requests sent*
  • nettasaura
    Options
    Ladyace - would it help if I told you that I purposefully shifted my macros to 30c/35p/35f because I historically do better on a higher protein ratio. I could have gone 30/40/30, but that would mean even more protein...and well..yikes! lol

So...my awesome hubby drove me around (his car doesn't suck up as much gas as mine) to a million different grocery stores this morning and tagged along while I vetoed brand after brand of cottage cheese. Finally found a store that carries Daisy brand cottage cheese. 3 ingredients....no chemicals....and a little bit lower on salt than some of the other name brands. That's what I settled for......and YUMMY! Creamiest, thickest cottage cheese I have ever had!
  • jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    170 grams seems like a lot of protein to me, but our bodies could be completely different. Are you targeting 1 g per lean body mass? Remember to use your BF% to calculate LBM.

As for ways to get protein: tuna, use your protein powder to make muffins/granola bars/pancakes or add it in yogurt and maybe if it's vanilla to your oatmeal or cereal, eat chicken breast and guacamole for a snack, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, beans. I use Jay Robb Egg White protein...I don't remember the ingredient list, but it seemed pretty 'clean' to me. Although I use that term loosely because I don't strictly eat clean just mostly clean.

So one gram per pound of lean body mass only puts me at 122grams, yet using the 40% setting of my TDEE gives me 184 grams. That is a huge difference. I have a hard time hitting the 180s, 122 would be a cinch, but is this enough? What percentage do you have your protein set at?
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options

Remember though that LBM more or less stays the same unless you are really trying to build muscle. My LBM is 130 lb whether I weigh 200 lbs or 175 lbs. My BF% is moving down though. To calculate your LBM take your weight and multiply it by 1-BF%.

So if I am trying to build muscle do I go with my LBM for protein or my regular weight?