Upcoming Races, what are yours?

Options

Replies

• mamarundrc
    mamarundrc Posts: 1,577 Member
    Options
    Just got home from the Mohegan Sun Sprint. What a blast!

What a nice venue for a race! It was an awesome course and absolutely beautiful. I hope they can bring it back there next year, I would definitely go back.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people *****ed about the venue, that it wasn't a true mud run, and some of the standard "Spartan" obstacles were missing. But I had a blast. I do have a hard time switching between trail and road, and only had trail shoes with me, but the view more than made up for it. I had no idea it was so pretty there. A lot of people *****ed about the festival being on hot pavement, but I admit, I had the luxury of the biggest team tent. Food and beer were better and cheaper than most locations. And I definitely didn't mind no monkey bars! The Herc hoist was absurdly heavy. They were sand bags, which had gotten wet. I climbed on my to try to move it with body weight, and it didn't move. So the women's one was upwards of 145 pounds. I was able to get it by lying down and wedging my feet under the fence. But when the top elite men can't budge it, and it costs one the race, it might be a bit too heavy.

I'll definitely go back for another race there though!
  • mamarundrc
    Options
    I know a lot of people *****ed about the venue, that it wasn't a true mud run, and some of the standard "Spartan" obstacles were missing. But I had a blast. I do have a hard time switching between trail and road, and only had trail shoes with me, but the view more than made up for it. I had no idea it was so pretty there. A lot of people *****ed about the festival being on hot pavement, but I admit, I had the luxury of the biggest team tent. Food and beer were better and cheaper than most locations. And I definitely didn't mind no monkey bars! The Herc hoist was absurdly heavy. They were sand bags, which had gotten wet. I climbed on my to try to move it with body weight, and it didn't move. So the women's one was upwards of 145 pounds. I was able to get it by lying down and wedging my feet under the fence. But when the top elite men can't budge it, and it costs one the race, it might be a bit too heavy.

I'll definitely go back for another race there though!

I have only done the stadium race for Spartan so I think that is why the lack of mud obstacles didn't bother me. I do look forward to doing a true complete mud run Spartan someday (maybe Amesbury if I can find a sitter). I did like that there were no monkey bars as those are not something I have conquered yet. I still need to figure out how to climb a rope and how to best the damn Transverse wall. I did manage to make it higher on the rope and further across the wall than at Fenway so I am at least improving. I manage to get the herculean hoist up about 3/4 of the way and then my hand slip and it came kind of crashing down and I have some nice rope burn to go with it. So 90 burpees + the 5 for the obstacle, I am ready to work harder and do better at my next race! Maybe if Mohegan made enough money they might give in a little more to allow a little more digging and messing.
  • mamarundrc
    Options
    The list is growing
    Grit n Wit Hartford- 8/23 (maybe, still debating between this and Boston Spartan sprint on 8/9)
    Wicked Mud run 10/12
    Spartan Fenway 11/15

Completed
    Tough Mudder New England 5/31.
    Spartan Sprint at Mohegan Sun in CT. 6-28
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    Just did Tough Mudder Virginia.
    I'm doing Down n Dirty in 10 days. (D.C.)
  • mamarundrc
    Options
    The list is growing
    Samari Sprint- 7/19
    Grit n Wit Hartford- 8/23 (maybe, still debating between this and Boston Spartan sprint on 8/9)
    Wicked Mud run 10/12
    Spartan Fenway 11/15

Completed
    Tough Mudder New England 5/31.
    Spartan Sprint at Mohegan Sun in CT. 6-28

I just need a September race and I have one month for the rest of the year except December!
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    Decided to go to both days of the PA Spartan Sprint this weekend.
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Decided to go to both days of the PA Spartan Sprint this weekend.

OOOO I will be there on Saturday in the elite wave! Have a great time, this will be my FIRST Spartan... Blue Mountain... what a mountain!
  • FWMagicMike
    Options
    did you see the video Spartan posted of last years Blue Mountain run?

I am amped!
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    Hee hee, be afraid! It's a Norm Koch-designed course. Extra brutal. Hardest route possible, and as many obstacles as he could bring in. The build crew has been putting in a lot of overtime this week :) And NBC will be there televising everything, so it's going to be insane.

I haven't decided which heats to run yet. The friend I'm going with will be running with Operation Enduring Warrior, so I may do that wave one day, and probably an early one on Sunday so I can get home at a decent hour.
  • Laurochka
    Laurochka Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Getting training in for the Spartan Sprint in Edinburgh - 21st September.!
  • RacquetChick
    RacquetChick Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Down and Dirty (D.C.) and Spartan Sprint (D.C.) this month!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I survived my Spartan double and had a blast! By everyone's accounts it was the most gruelling terrain for a Spartan race they have done in Aus.

I am hoping to head east for the Beast and get my trifecta, so majorly waiting for Spartan Race to come back to WA too.
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options
    Down and Dirty (D.C.) and Spartan Sprint (D.C.) this month!

I did the down n dirty dc race today too. It was fun.
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    Holy Hell, PA was a brutal course. I ended up doing it with the team that was being filmed for NBC. Totally epic.

By far the hardest Spartan "sprint" I've ever done. It was almost six miles. It should have been a Super. And very technical terrain. Lots of serious elevation gain/loss. Crazy!
  • FWMagicMike
    Options
    Holy Hell, PA was a brutal course. I ended up doing it with the team that was being filmed for NBC. Totally epic.

By far the hardest Spartan "sprint" I've ever done. It was almost six miles. It should have been a Super. And very technical terrain. Lots of serious elevation gain/loss. Crazy!

It was AWESOME! Especially for my first Spartan. I signed up for the Super in Vernon, NJ. How did you do? A buddy of mine had done 3 others, this being his 4th, and he said it was by far the hardest one they have ever done. The founder was there talking to NBC as the male elite wave was ready to kick off. It was a great and grueling time! :)
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    I was with a team of adaptive athletes (Operation Enduring Warrior). So time was kind of irrelevant for us :) But yeah, I think I've got at least 15 Spartans under my belt, probably more, and this was the toughest sprint I've done so far. NJ will be easier!
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    So looks like this race will be televised on Tuesday, August 19th, at 9pm. And hey, looks like I'll be on TV again for Amesbury and Killington as well :)

And this crazy girl just got given a free entry for Battlefrog DC, so that's where I'm headed this weekend now. Yay for race weekends and living out of suitcases. I haven't unpacked completely in nearly a month!!
  • FWMagicMike
    Options
    So looks like this race will be televised on Tuesday, August 19th, at 9pm. And hey, looks like I'll be on TV again for Amesbury and Killington as well :)

And this crazy girl just got given a free entry for Battlefrog DC, so that's where I'm headed this weekend now. Yay for race weekends and living out of suitcases. I haven't unpacked completely in nearly a month!!

so awesome!!! Spartan posted some pics of the PA race on their facebook page :)