Males trying to EM2WL

Options
reedkaus
reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
Hey all, so just looking for some success stories of some guys out there that have been doing this. after getting down to the point where i was eating between 1700-1900 calories (usually around 1500 net) and not making any progress i decided it was time to up the calories back up. this program has me eating at 3000 calories a day to maintain, as i'm trying to do a metabolic reset right now. so i try to get to that as close as i can, it's usually hard, but i can manage (thank god for peanut butter!) and i keep track of my exercise cals to make sure i'm netting above my bmr which is slightly over 1900.

anyways, back to the point, this group for the most part seems largely occupied by women (which i have no problems with!) i was just wondering if there were any guys out there that have been eating around 2500 calories or more and seeing succees. my questions come from the fact that i used to wrestle and cut weight, and i know the negative impact that could have had on my metabolism all that, and am just trying to undo some of that damage now.

thanks guys!

Replies

• rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Hey all, so just looking for some success stories of some guys out there that have been doing this. after getting down to the point where i was eating between 1700-1900 calories (usually around 1500 net) and not making any progress i decided it was time to up the calories back up. this program has me eating at 3000 calories a day to maintain, as i'm trying to do a metabolic reset right now. so i try to get to that as close as i can, it's usually hard, but i can manage (thank god for peanut butter!) and i keep track of my exercise cals to make sure i'm netting above my bmr which is slightly over 1900.

anyways, back to the point, this group for the most part seems largely occupied by women (which i have no problems with!) i was just wondering if there were any guys out there that have been eating around 2500 calories or more and seeing succees. my questions come from the fact that i used to wrestle and cut weight, and i know the negative impact that could have had on my metabolism all that, and am just trying to undo some of that damage now.

thanks guys!

I'm not a dude, but I just wanted to say "Hi and Welcome aboard!!"

I'm sure Mike will be along shortly and introduce himself. He's doing really good on em2wl and I'm sure you will too!!!!
  • reedkaus
    Options
    thank you! send him over here if you get the chance! i'm really excited for this, and ready to hear what others have to say
  • ifeeldizzynow
    ifeeldizzynow Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I think I need to get on this plan since I'm currently at 2200 calories and I tend to burn around 1200 calories per workout but I never replace those burned I stick to only eating the initial 2200 and I'm stuck at a frustrating plateau.
  • reedkaus
    Options
    that's pretty much exactly what i was doing, dizzy. and when i wrestled it was even worse, especially once i got to the collegiate level. so that's how i've been trained to think for the past 9 or 10 years. same story with the plateau, i was just hoping to hear of some guys that have done it well. let me know how your progress goes, and best of luck!
  • PittGatorJD
    Options
    I don't think I've had a lot of success on it yet, but I don't think it's not working either. I'm a guy, 5'10, 215 lbs...I was eating 1500 a day, never eating back exercise calories, which resulted in 40 lbs over 4 months. As of 3 weeks ago, I upped my calories to a -20% cut of 2800 calories. Since doing that, I have not gained a lb, but haven't lost any either. So i went from 1500 calories to around 2800-3500 depending on the workout that day, and my weight has stayed the same. I have gotten stronger, and my runs have gotten faster in this time...So not a scale victory, but seems to be working. Also have lost .5-2.5 inches on various body parts. Don't be afraid to dive in.
  • reedkaus
    Options
    yeah, i have dived in i totally agree with what you're saying too, kind of why i started the post. i know it's not supposed to happen right away, but 3000 kcals just seems like a lot and was curious how high some of the males out there were going
  • Cclancaster
    Cclancaster Posts: 368
    Options
    I'll bump for you I am sure Mike as been busy today and Bradthemedic we have atleast 3 active men who are getting results.
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I'm having great success and I've just added heavy lifts to my routine... TODAY.

I couldn't be happier with this choice / lifestyle. I owe a lot to this group and the lovely people in it. I feel like I have my health, brain and life back.

Frankly if I hadn't been on EM2WL I wouldn't have had the mental stamina to withstand an interview process I just went through to get my dream job - as well as the energy to be ME at my job to gain friends in the work place and fit right in. That's just a taste of what EM2WL has done for me in the last month.

Poke around and you'll find my life story gushing in a few places if you're interested.

I'm 6'0, 27 years old, approx 220lb (haven't weight in a long time, weight isn't too important at this stage though I have some to lose).
  • bradthemedic
    Options
    I should also add that I am eating 2900 cals and NEVER net below my BMR even on my long long cardio run days. I do eat back if I get near my BMR. 100 calories here and there don't mean much to me after having been on this at this stage.

Embrace the food. Give it 6 weeks and watch your body and mind change in ways you couldn't imagine.
  • reedkaus
    Options
    awesome info brad. thanks for sharing. the time frame part is really assuring me. the scale part is hard for me because my whole life has been weighing in, and i'm trying to stay away from that, and not going to take measurements for six weeks, and just bust my *kitten* and make sure i get all my food in. congratulations on all your success my man!
  • bradthemedic
    Options
    Take measurements weekly and don't weigh at all... For months if you can. The measurements will keep you motivated. Especially on days you don't "see" the change in the mirror.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I am one of the few guys that post about em2wl, I was eating pretty low calories and not eating anything back for a long time and finally hit that plateau of never moving same routine hopelessness. Since I started eating more (currently 2100 calories but will eat back some exercise calories) I dropped some pants sizes and the scale has went down.. I didnt bother with a full reset, but did drastically switch to a higher protein less carbs intake then I previously had, and started doing protein powder for supplement which I never did before.. Its a great program and great community and someone that was more of a gym rat its nice to not think I need to be in the gym 24/7 to see results (even though I do workout 6 days a week)..
  • Sullerson
    Sullerson Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! I've been at this for about a week. I was reaching a plateau in my goals, but I didnt want to lower my cals anymore than what they already were. Thats when I discovered some of the info here and figured it was worth a try. I've been slowly raising my cals upto 2400 after being at a 1700 cal cut. Been kinda sick the past 2 days, so i've been under that a tad. 2400 is 500 under my average TDEE according to my bodybugg. I'm going to stay around this level until my surgery next month, and then I'll do a full reset while I recover.

Feel free to add me as a friend here if you want some support, this goes to everyone here. The more support we have the more successful we can all be.
  • fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!

I eat between 2900 - 3100 calories a day and am down 25lbs.

Works for me! :)
  • Jack3r
    Jack3r Posts: 96
    Options
    Hey man, I started at 331 hit a plateau at 282, upped my cals to around 2800-3000 a day and a couple days later, I broke my plateau. Was eating around 1700-1900 a day before.
  • reedkaus
    Options
    wow, thanks for all the info guys. it's just reassuring to know that other people (guys in particular) have done it. i'm trying not to pay attention to the scale for the next couple week, but i have a skin caliper and a tape measure and will be taking measurements weekly before getting back on the scale. good luck to every one, and you guys can feel free to add me as well!
  • wffolkes
    wffolkes Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hey New to the group and was look for this exact thread!

Hit a plateau around 204lbs after dropping 25lbs.

My BMR is 2020 my TDEE 2900

I was netting around 1500 - 1800 I am in the first week of eating more and looking to hit 1850 a day and eating back my exercise calories which should leave me on my BMR. I have also increased my protein intake to try and hit 1g per 1lb of lean body mass.

Today I was lifting (checkout my blog to see my training diary) I already saw and improvement in my endurance when lifting. What had been a struggle weeks before and even last week seemed a hell of alot easier. Maybe that was in my mind but I completed certain sets very easy which I have previously struggled on.

As this is only week 1 im not expecting results just yet and not scared of gaining as I know im not going over my TDEE.

My only guess is that I may need to increase my intake some more.
  • Gapwedge01
    Gapwedge01 Posts: 494
    Options
    Broke my plateau going to EM2WL in January after stalling for 60 days. My TDEE is just under 3000. Eating 2300-2400 now net. BMR is around 2100. Before I was netting 1600. Still have 30+ to lose.
  • wffolkes
    Options
    Thought it would be worthwhile to give an account week by week to give others an idea if they are in the same position.

My stats

Height: 5'8.5
    Heaviest: 227lbs
    Lightest: ??
    Current: 205lbs (93kg)
    Current Bf%: 18%
    Goal: 183lbs

Measurements
    Waist - 36
    Hip - 39
    Wrist - 7
    Forearm - 12
    203lbs

After week 1 I'm up by 1lb to 205lbs

Today was my first weigh after 1 week of increasing calories from 1580 to 1850. I felt much happier as I also was eating back about half of my exercise calories too so but still averaging around 1850 for the week, which left me just under or on my BmR which is 2080. My aim should be to hit my my BMR through intake alone so this week the calorie target is 2050.

I've increased my protein intake which seems to have had a positive effect to my workouts making it easier to lift.

Not expecting any results for at least a month, I'll weigh myself weekly and measure monthly.

Would be interesting to hear othe guys journeys to stay motivated.
  • wffolkes
    Options
    Still no change in weight although last Tuesday when weighing on my regular machine it measured me as a lower bf% than last month.

Feeling ill today so no training for the past 2 days.

x2 more weeks till I expect some results need to be averaging my BMR and trying to fill the extra calories with chocolate and unhealthy options.