How you did this week

Options
quilteryoyo
quilteryoyo Posts: 6,102 Member
Well, the week isn't over yet, but I will post that I ran yesterday. With my 5 min walk to warm up and cool down, I went 3.8 miles in 46 minutes. That was running for 8 minutes and then walking one minute, repeated 4 times. I am using a program I found on marathontrainingacademy's website to build up to running 30 minutes. So, my runs are sort of structured and 3 times a week. I find I do better if I have a structured plan to follow.

Replies

• dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    That's great!!!

I usually run Tue, Thur and Saturday. Yesterday I went 3.5 miles. It's a tough one out there in the FL heat. It was 89 when I ran. However, my route was mostly shaded (whew)!!!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    That's great. It is getting hot and humid here in TN too. It was only in the 60's when I ran yesterday morning, but it was so humid it was like running under water. I'm sure you know what I mean. I'm trying to get up early and run before the heat sets in, but I'm not a morning person, so that is a chore for me. However, I'm glad when I get it over with and have more energy for the day!
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I am doing C25K and am on week 6. I usually run on M, W and F. I've got M and W in so far for this week. Today, I hit the treadmill because I couldn't even breathe outside at 7:30 am! I've been trying to go as soon as I put my youngest on the bus so that it is cooler but I'm finding that the humidity is at it's peak at that time. I think that my allergies have kicked in and I've been having a horrible stuffy nose making it hard to breathe.

My kids finish school tomorrow so I'm not sure how I'm going to get my workouts in. I did have them walk with me to the track one day when they were off and sit while I did my half hour run/walk and then we walked home. That was probably the most that my daughter has ever walked in her life and with the heat (she cannot regulate body temperature), it was too much for her. I could drive down and see if they could behave again for the 30 minutes or I may be moving to the treadmill for awhile. They both will be going to summer school so I only have a week and a half to get through before they will be back in school. After summer school, there's several weeks that they are home but I'll deal with that when we get there!

I am finding that the hardest part of running for me is my brain. As soon as I start, I'm thinking about how much longer do I have to go and keep massive track of how much longer. When I am on the track, I have my music going and try to lip sync some of the refrains (helps with breathing) to try to get my mind focused on something else. At home, I watch movies on the iPad while on the treadmill. Neither entertains me sufficiently. I can walk forever. I think that even on the treadmill, I wouldn't mind walking through the entire length of a movie. I was thinking about moving my runs to the road and found one route nearby that isn't crazy hills. I might try that in July. Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to shut my brain up?
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    That's a hard one. I have heard it said that running is more of a mental thing than a physical one.

I have the same issue. The first 2 - 3 minutes of running is the hardest for me. I can't breathe and I say to myself, "how am I going to go 8 min (or whatever)?" So, I have to change what my mind is telling me and say "I know I can do this. I did it last time I ran. I can do it again. Just hang in there. It will get better." After I get my first minute walk in I do better. Then, if I start thinking bad thoughts I can just say, "Hey, you did it a minute ago. You can do it again." That's one reason why the C25K was not a good fit for me. It increased too fast and didn't allow my mind to catch up with my body. :laugh: The program I am following is longer, but allows me to overcome the mental barrier a lot easier. It also doesn't increase all the time, which I think the C25K does. For instance, Tues I ran 8 min, walked one 4 times. Tomorrow, I will run 8 min, walk one for only 3 times and then Sat it is for 5 times. Then it goes up to running 9 min and walking one, but only have to do it 3 times, so it's actually shorter time running than I will have run on Sat. So, I my brain KNOWS that I can do it. It just needs a little coaxing.

Don't know if I helped any or not. Just know that you aren't alone in this one. (Oh, I do run on the road by my house and seems like it is all up hill both ways.)
  • dsak
    Options
    For me the first mile to mile and a half is tough... even after running for a year now. It takes me that long to get my breathing and stride into a good rhythm. Once I get past that, it gets easier!
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have never run.....how would you start it? Would love to do a 5k.........
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Chell,

First, make sure you get some good running shoes and then start out slow. The first time I started running, I did too much too soon in old shoes and I paid for it. I could barely walk up stairs for a month because of severe shin splints. I learned my lesson.

Most people like the Couch to 5K program, which is an 8 week regime, I think, that is supposed to get non-runners to be able to complete a 5K. I prefer the beginners program that is found on marathontrainigacademy.com/beginner. (I just looked at that web site and they have changed it and now call it a couch to 5K, but it is a 20 week program to get you to be able to run 30 minutes without stopping to walk.) Check these out and do what you feel comfortable with. You don't have to do either of these. I just tend to do better if I have a program to follow.

The first step is wanting to do it, and you have that one nailed. The next is getting shoes and then that first time you run 10 feet or however far you can make it. Just stick with it. It has been my best friend for weight loss. Be sure to let us know how you are doing!
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Chell,

First, make sure you get some good running shoes and then start out slow. The first time I started running, I did too much too soon in old shoes and I paid for it. I could barely walk up stairs for a month because of severe shin splints. I learned my lesson.

Most people like the Couch to 5K program, which is an 8 week regime, I think, that is supposed to get non-runners to be able to complete a 5K. I prefer the beginners program that is found on marathontrainigacademy.com/beginner. (I just looked at that web site and they have changed it and now call it a couch to 5K, but it is a 20 week program to get you to be able to run 30 minutes without stopping to walk.) Check these out and do what you feel comfortable with. You don't have to do either of these. I just tend to do better if I have a program to follow.

The first step is wanting to do it, and you have that one nailed. The next is getting shoes and then that first time you run 10 feet or however far you can make it. Just stick with it. It has been my best friend for weight loss. Be sure to let us know how you are doing!

Thanks for the help....will check out the site......
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Just finished my run for the day. I went a total of 3 miles in 38 minutes. Did three 8 min runs followed by 1 min of walking, plus warm up and cool down walks. Today was tough for me. Not sure why. Just glad it was a short day on my program. I'm not sure I could have gone any further. (I just calculated my pace for the portion I ran to be a little under 11 minute miles - that's not too bad for me.)

Chell, Let us know what you think of the running program and when you get started - with it or another one or just going at your own pace. You can do this. If I can, anyone can!!!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    For me the first mile to mile and a half is tough... even after running for a year now. It takes me that long to get my breathing and stride into a good rhythm. Once I get past that, it gets easier!

Pooh! I was hoping it would get better. :ohwell:
  • dsak
    Options
    Just finished my run for the day. I went a total of 3 miles in 38 minutes. Did three 8 min runs followed by 1 min of walking, plus warm up and cool down walks. Today was tough for me. Not sure why. Just glad it was a short day on my program. I'm not sure I could have gone any further. (I just calculated my pace for the portion I ran to be a little under 11 minute miles - that's not too bad for me.)

Chell, Let us know what you think of the running program and when you get started - with it or another one or just going at your own pace. You can do this. If I can, anyone can!!!

11 minute mile is great!!! I've been running now for 6 months since completing C25K... and my pace ranges anywhere from10:00 to 11:30.... depending on time of day, temp, humidity, time of month, etc!!! So... you are doing fabulous!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks, dsak!
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    I did my Week 6, Day 2 (sort of) today. I was totally down yesterday....spent day being a lazy couch potato, blowing my nose constantly and too nauseous to even eat properly. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to do more than walk today but.....instead of running 22 minutes, I ran 30 minutes and I exceeded a 2 mile run....both of which were goals of mine! I'm going to continue punching through my C25K app, but I'm going to try to run 30 minutes every day and hopefully get it so that I am doing a complete 5K during that time. Today, I used the treadmill so I might find it more challenging on the track and eventually (July) I want to do some on the road as well. I might have to give in and drive somewhere to do 2 miles on the road since I am surrounded by crazy hills (which I will someday be able to run!)
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Great job. I'm glad you felt like trying today. I am like you sometimes...those days I just really don't even want to get out of the house because I'm sure I'll fail turn out to be some of my better days. Go figure.

You're doing amazing!!! Keep it up.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Today's run was a hard one. It was foggy, so you can imagine how humid was was. :grumble: On the program I am doing, I was supposed to run 8 min/ walk 1 five times. I managed to do it 4 times, but gave up half way through the fifth about halfway up a killer hill. I tried just stopping a minute, but I just couldn't start back to run right then. I decided I'd better listen to my body, so I walked for the other 4 minutes and then ran for 4, which still took me up a hill, but not quite as steep. After I walked a little while, I did a couple of fartlek intervals to make up for not running continuously like I was supposed to. I wound up exercising, including all the walking, for 63 minutes and went a total of 5 miles. I guess that's not horrible.

Everyone have a great weekend! :flowerforyou:
  • lilylight
    lilylight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I did Week 1, Day 2 on Friday. It was harder than the first day because it was SO HOT. I'm not an a.m. Person at all, so I've been walking/running at about 7 p.m.... But I think I'm going to have to check out some gym memberships for indoor running...
  • catdoc1
    catdoc1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I misread my training schedule and did 6.5mi yesterday instead of 4mi. A little tired today, but oh well! It's a good tired. Glad I didn't make a mistake in the other direction! Next run scheduled for Tuesday morning, 3mi.
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    This week was good ran Tues wed thus 1.5 miles then on Sunday ran 2 miles in morning and 1 in the afternoon
    And biked 24 miles on saturday
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    I misread my training schedule and did 6.5mi yesterday instead of 4mi. A little tired today, but oh well! It's a good tired. Glad I didn't make a mistake in the other direction! Next run scheduled for Tuesday morning, 3mi.

:smile: Great that you made it that far!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    This week was good ran Tues wed thus 1.5 miles then on Sunday ran 2 miles in morning and 1 in the afternoon
    And biked 24 miles on saturday

You did great!! How does running 3 days in a row work for you? I've heard that you should have days in between in order for the muscles to have time to repair themselves.