A fitbit helps a LOT..My tale..

fuzzyslipperz
fuzzyslipperz Posts: 49 Member
Ok, so I've been at goal weight (about 120# ) for about 8 years after losing 50 pounds..

I've literally been HUNGRY these last eight years, but have been strict and maintaining at 1500-1800 cals/day with one higher cal day on the w/e (2.5K+). I'm 5'4 and 44 years old and very active but not doing silly amounts of 'exercise'. Probably a 5 mile walk 3-4x/week, some HIIT and weightlifting on alternate days. I also have a fairly active job (clinic nurse) and I have my own mini farm that requires a lot of hauling/lifting/walking around so my non work days are pretty busy. Calories are actually a little above what most people think is 'normal' for someone my age and relatively light weight. Fitbit says I do anywhere from 15K to 30K steps (whew, not that often) per day. Average 22-25K.

My weight crept up about 5# slowly even though my activity was way up (spring!) and I was eating the same foods I had been eating for years. Had worn my fitbit a year or two ago and laughed at the crazy silly calories it had me burning..

(men look away now) Oh, and did I mention I hardly ever got a period? Maybe twice a year IF that. Doc said it was due to peri-menopause and not due to anything else since I was not on a treadmill for hours each day, not underweight and not underfat.

Started wearing my fitbit again and reading this group and thought what the heck.

What I've been doing is letting the fitbit make adjustments and netting slightly over or at BMR - which may not sound like enough to you, but remember most people just go with TDEE on a calculator OR log in exercise manually. Fitbit gives me credit for things like feeding and watering chickens. :P I eat AT TDEE on weekends - sometimes one day, sometimes both.

My calorie intake (which is close to scooby numbers) to NET BMR is now about 2000-2200 on weekdays and on weekends I end up at 2500-2800.. Woot! Been doing this for over two months now - and I am down two pounds. And (guys look away now), aunt flo came two months in a row after nothing for almost a year!

So eating more definitely works, especially if you have a bodymedia fit/fitbit to see how much you are REALLY burning. I didn't do a reset, just eat at 'TDEE' on weekends which keeps me sane.

FWIW, I don't know how anyone survives on 1200 cal total/gross - I couldn't even eat that little when losing my first 50#.

I sometimes WISH I was one of those people who could say 'but I couldn't POSSIBLY eat MORE I'll be SO FULL'. That never ever happens with me. I could probably put down 5K if I'd allow it. :P

Anyway I hope that helps someone. :)

Replies

• Saelina
    Saelina Posts: 129 Member
    Such a great story. congrats on your success and more importantly, figuring out what the doctors couldn't. :)

I think I need to get one of those fitbit things.
  • silvercanoe
    silvercanoe Posts: 95 Member
    Interesting - thanks!
  • sugarplumj
    sugarplumj Posts: 107 Member
    I have been researching the FitBit a bit, too. One thing I do wonder is how does it monitor mat workouts? i have heard that it only really monitors steps. Do you have any experience with this?

Great work! 1200 cals a day suuuuuuuuuuuuucks...
  • fuzzyslipperz
    I have been researching the FitBit a bit, too. One thing I do wonder is how does it monitor mat workouts? i have heard that it only really monitors steps. Do you have any experience with this?

it doesn't do well with weight workouts or mat workouts, but ya know what? I don't worry about it. I used to manually enter things like kettlebell workouts while using my HRM (MFP has numbers that are WAY too high for my height and weight) but now I just use the fitbit. It gives me credit for walking to the mailbox, cleaning chicken coops, etc so it all works out. I found it was very similar to the TDEE calcs here at least for me. Might not work for someone very sedentary who only does floor work as exercise - in that case I'd use the HRM cals IMO.

I used to have one of the armband monitors but the numbers were so close that paying for a subscription didn't make sense.

I compared my HRM to what MFP wants to give me for a workout and about died laughing. Walking was kinda close, but putting in anything else would give me 3X what I am actually burning.. :)
  • trosewine
    trosewine Posts: 88
    Thanks for sharing! You probably mitigated some of the metobolic damage by having a "spike" on the weekends, but you just kept slowing that metabolism over time. Wow, right? And even better, that you have now "repaired" your body - way to go!! Just goes to show you how resilient and complicated the human body is.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    What a great story. Thanks for sharing

I just got my FitBit and it truly is an eye opener.
  • twinmomtwice4
    twinmomtwice4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    So glad you're having success and thank you for sharing your story!

I got a BMF almost 2 months ago and it's been a huge eye opener! I was eating at 1900 and thought that was just fine until my BMF showed my TDEE was around 2800!!!! Now that I've got my calories figured out based on how much I'm actually burning, the weight is coming off at a consistent rate on a weekly basis!
  • Noor13

I use my HRM for workouts
  • Noor13

I got a BMF almost 2 months ago and it's been a huge eye opener! I was eating at 1900 and thought that was just fine until my BMF showed my TDEE was around 2800!!!! Now that I've got my calories figured out based on how much I'm actually burning, the weight is coming off at a consistent rate on a weekly basis!
    My TDEE is about where yours is and I was :noway: when I saw it
  • fuzzyslipperz

My TDEE is about where yours is and I was :noway: when I saw it

It's amazing, isn't it? I think back to all my 1500 calorie days and wow, I was probably 'netting' like 500 calories.. :noway:
  • lulehlu
    lulehlu Posts: 87 Member
    I believe my story is similar in that I was also drastically underestimatng my TDEE. I am a teacher and I move around a lot during the day. I only received my Fitbit last Tuesday, by the time the school year has wound down, but even still, My TDEE was around 2200 (I imagine it would by higher on regular teachIng days thanks to standing and walking around the class room) and I was certainly not eating enough back on a consistent basis when factoring in exercise. Of course, now that school is over, I will be far more sedentary for the next few months but I'll know how much I've slowed down with the Fitbit.
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Fitbit and this group helped me break a 3 month plateau :flowerforyou:

I found my TDEE is about 2200-2400 a day and my BMR is 1411. I'm set to net 1550.

The only little bit I would add is to set MFP activity level to match the TDEE on your fitbit. Mine was oroginally set at 1720 per day, so I wasnt moving at all, Once I changed it to active (2050 per day) fitbit just adds little adjustments instead of the big ones...

I do subtract about 100 cals and 500 steps per day for incidentals like being in the car/bike etc and take them off their site, but its workiing so far :bigsmile:
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Thanks for sharing your story, I love your user pic, so cute and fluffy :)
  • nannabannana
    nannabannana Posts: 787
    bump for later reading . I also have a fitbit. Bought on April 29th this year. I LOVE MY FITBIT!!!!...Wondering if I need an HRM? I don't do a whole lot of weight lifting, but I am trying. I walk most days over 10, 000 steps, and have actually hit over 20,000 a few times...That is a lot of steps...Wish I could do more but I keep 2 grandbabies 4-5 days a week for 10-12 hr days...they are a pleasant workout..lol Tks for sharing:) My treadmill broke today also!!! :sad:
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    I just bought a Fitbit yesterday and found this thread. I was wondering how everyone on this thread is going with their Fitbits. Still working well?
  • cazsyl
    cazsyl Posts: 89 Member
    I love my fitbit - I use it to calculate my TDEE for my cut :)
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Okay, i'm sold. Just ordered a fitbit and a HRM.

I will figure this fat loss thing out ;)
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 578 Member
    I have to save up for one. I wish I could afford it...lol. I want one soooooo bad.

Thanks for sharing your experience!
  • cazsyl
    cazsyl Posts: 89 Member
    I got mine from ebay - it was cheaper than buying from the fitbit site - but you can register it ok on the fitbit site once you've got it.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    If there is just no way of obtaining a fitbit at the present, I am still safe to trust online calculators, right?