Introduce yourself :)

Options
MadeOfMagic
MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
Feel free to introduce yourself here, tell us your name/weight loss goals and perhaps why you want to quit/cut down on drinking :)

I am Anastasia, 23 yrs old, I want to lose an additional 60lbs but the booze isn't helping so I want to quit (except occasional special holidays/events) because I can't drink in moderation :P
I definitely need support, because it's so hard to not drink. I quit but than I end up picking it up again, but I want booze out of my life (for the most part) because I want to be healthy and not have all these crazy health problems as I get older :)

Replies

• patmegkaren
    patmegkaren Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Karen, 37 and a social drinker also. It's not so much the booze that gets me, it's the snacking after and the lack of motivation to get up and exercise after imbibing. I feel as though I am banging my head against the wall as far as my weight loss. Even if I abstain Mon through Friday, I usually indulge Fri, Sat sometimes Sunday, so even if I have a great week of diet and exercise all week long, I blow it on the weekend and don't see any results on the scale. This is very discouraging. Not to mention I just feel I'm getting too old to be wasting days lazing around because I had a little too much the night before. I just don't know how to be social and enjoy without going overboard. Have seriously been considering just stopping altogether, think I would finally break through my plateau. At the same time, I do enjoy to unwind a little. Not sure, it's a dilemma!
  • MadeOfMagic
    Options
    Hi Karen! Definitely know how you feel, same war I fight, my problem is once I start drinking I don't want to stop, so if I have drink Friday than I will continue drinking through weekend and sometimes into the week, and of course the snacking just does not help.

Let's help keep each other accountable, I am sure you will break through your plateau if you cut down/off the drinking :)
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am Jacques. Grew up with w drinking family. Wine and spirits and beer were all something to study and appreciate, not just consume for a buzz. SO I associate drinking with prosperity (I can afford the good stuff) and with tastiness - it's a sensual experience.

And it is also high calorie and it is also interferring with my mental and physical health. I am pretty sure I need to quit. Just for today. And then tomorrow I will say the same thing - I'll quit just for today. My house is full of booze and wine. I used to grow my own hops and brew my own beers. I have relatives in France making world-class wines and champagne. It's in my genes. But it also fills my jeans to overflowing and makes me a grumpy person.

I will report my consumption on my diary under the listing of Cocktails. I think you can all read it and PM me rather than make public comments. Does that work for you?
  • MadeOfMagic
    Options
    Hello Jacques! Welcome!
    Must be so hard to resist all that delicious alcohol, I drink for the taste as well, I just love the taste of beer with all my might. But can't agree more when I don't drink I tend be less grumpy too, I don't feel a difference physically but mentally for sure!

You can report your alchol as you prefer, it really doesn't matter. For me, I have a problem staying away with the booze and I think I will be posting here every day that I go without booze so I can stay focused :)

I really like your attitude, quitting just for today and taking it day by day, this way you are not so overwhelmed with thoughts of quitting :)
  • Lefriedline
    Lefriedline Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm Lauren and I'm 23. I lost about 40 lbs a year ago and gained it all back since working in a brewery/restaurant. I know the snacking on fries while at work is a problem but I also know the free shift beer I get after hasn't helped either! Especially since one IPA isn't always enough. I want to quit drinking and stay motivated to reach the goals that I know I can because I have before. This group is a godsend because my friends like to go out and drink and I don't want to do that. My friend actually told me today that she couldn't make it to the gym with me to spin tomorrow at 4:30pm because she was going to go out tomorrow night. Umm what? Am I the only one who sees a couple things about that that could be confusing?
  • jplord
    Options
    I really like your attitude, quitting just for today and taking it day by day, this way you are not so overwhelmed with thoughts of quitting :)

It's a strategy from AA, or 12-step programs in general. I did OA, Overeaters Anonymous, for about 5 years. Icould never get past the "surrender to a higher power"

But I am convinced that we are as sick as our secrets, and if I document my drinking (or better the lack of drinking) with this group, then I am not keeping secrets and getting healthier.

I have 4 daughters and I'm married to a beautiful woman for almost 25 years, and they are all telling me I am drinking too much. Plus I am on Lithium and Wellbutrin and I shouldn't be drinking at all. <sigh> This would be easier if I felt poisoned and had a violent reaction at the immediate moment of taking a drink. Instead, I enjoy the drinking as it happens, and then a day or three later I react inappropriately or just get more depressed than usual and think dark thoughts.

Big picture question: Is drinking really worth it? I need to find a way to connect the dots between drinking (happy time) and consequences (bad time) so that drinking becomes associated with bad times that I do not want to repeat.

Writing about this (for the first time) is making me feel differently and perhaps that's the start. Hope this helps all of you.
  • meljoemom
    meljoemom Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Shari - older than 40 - 2 kids and a hubby who brews.

I don't emotional eat or drink. I just like food, crappy or otherwise.
    I'm lazy and like the boob tube (television/movies), but I really like running to awesome music and a clean house, too.
    I like Coors Lite. I like the taste, especially in the summer and they go down all too smooth. It's pretty much all I drink and it takes a lot to get me hammered (put 12 cans in a bag to be crushed today from the last 2 nights) but takes even less to ruin a new lifestyle plan.
    I can do well with only drinking on the weekends and AFTER I workout, bu thave a hard time keeping it up.
    I quit smoking which is even harder and got down to goal weight afterward for 3 years. Now WAY bigger than that.

Drank the last of the Coors Lite last night. Not buying anymore until the weekend. Have a big party to go to on Friday, but I think I will be the DD and do the water in between trick. Thanks, Boo. Will push back drinking until 6 PM Sat and Sun and on Sunday will stop by 9 PM.

There's the plan folks. Let's see how it pans out.
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I'm Sara, 30... I drink daily, and I'm definitely am an emotional drinker... or if I'm bored. I'm working down to wine or beer from liquor, and then soon to little to none. I know there will be times I want a drink or glass of wine, but I need to be able to just have one, then stop, just like my eating.

I know booze is what keeps my weight on, and when I have a lunch cocktail or more, my motivation to work out is nil, plus it seems a tad unsafe (my balance goes fast :/ ). That combo has me stuck. The sugars and calories in mixers and booze just take my macros over the top and then I can't even earn any back.

I was doing pretty well, as was my husband, but a tragedy at the end of April and an ensuing long visit with family completely ruined everything. Not only did we fall into our old horrible habits, I fell off a treadmill and sprained my foot. So I can barely work out. :grumble: It's my own fault. Then Saturday I hit a new low and actually got really wasted drunk, which I don't do often. I couldn't walk much and at some point fell over and, well, I have a bruise from elbow to armpit, that's 3 1/2 inches long. I'm probably lucky that's all that happened, so I have got to stop. It's so colorful my husband keeps saying I need to get the Northern Lights and a mountain range tattooed there someday. :tongue: I even took pictures. Anyway, no more excuses, no more waiting 'til tomorrow! It's time NOW.

I have got to start logging again, but am embarrassed about how much I would log under Drinks (Alcoholic). This group should help me do that anyhow. As soon as I started a few months ago, I was down to a couple glasses of wine a week in no time. :happy: I'm glad to have place I can say this stuff and not feel weird, so YAY! Thanks for starting this group! :drinker:
  • jplord
    Options
    I'm glad to have place I can say this stuff and not feel weird, so YAY! Thanks for starting this group! :drinker:

^^^^^THIS!
  • CynthiaAnnGA
    Options
    I was on all the antidepressant meds. too, but in the last 6 months took myself off them (weaned off over a period of weeks). I feel better than I have in years. I still take blood press. med., but hope to lose 25lbs. & be able to get off them too. My only vice in life right now is red wine. I drink 3 or 4 big glasses every night & know I should cut down or stop, but can't seem to feel like I can right now in my life. Anyway, I hope you can get off some of your meds.
  • CynthiaAnnGA
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this site. I love MyFitnessPal, it helps to keep me on track. I'm 55 yrs. old, w/5 children (3 are grown & gone to more exciting places). I have a 16 yr. old son & 5 yr. old adopted daughter (my joy). We live on 40 acres in the country w/lots of animals & gardens. I've been trying to get myself on track for living healthy for awhile now & have gotten off almost all meds. Excercising everyday & feeling stronger. I want to lose 25lbs & cut down on my drinking. I tell myself that I really don't have a problem because all I drink is red wine. No beer, or liquor, just wine, but I also know in my heart & soul that drinking every day is not the norm.
  • MadeOfMagic
    Options
    I'm glad to have place I can say this stuff and not feel weird, so YAY! Thanks for starting this group! :drinker:

^^^^^THIS!

Can't agree more!! We all have our reasons, and at least one thing in common :)
    So much easier to do it with people like you :)
  • bserwack
    bserwack Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi! My names Bobbi and I am 22. I used to drink quite a bit more and have cut down some over the past year. Now that summer is here, it is a major trigger for me.
    I lost 30lbs on SparkPeople and have been maintaining for the past year at 130-135. I want to lose 5-10lbs and just be really healthy all together. Drinking really holds me back.

When I drink, I usually end up binge drinking. This leads me to make unhealthy decisions like skipping my workout that day and the following day, eating junk food and greasy hangover food, smoking. Not to mention all the empty calories in the alcohol! I hate how I feel after I drink, so I need to make a change!!

My plan of attack is to abstain completely for 1 month and then re-evaluate my situation at the end of July. Thanks for starting this group-this is the first time I have tried this and am really going to need the support!!!!
  • monicalord
    monicalord Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm Monica, I'm 26 and have been a bartender on and off for 5 years. It's easier and easier to pour myself a small drink when the customers are annoying, rude, cheap, it's slow, it's hella busy, etc etc. Of course these drinks add up :/

I stopped drinking hard alcohol (mostly) about 2 years ago and generally stick to wine, but again, it's so available, and I can never have just one! SO I'm here to clean up and shape up so I can improve my figure and my mood.

Thanks for the support :)
  • CynthiaAnnGA
    Options
    Just try to limit your intake while dieting. I wish we could all afford to check into Betty Ford Clinic!
  • bixa
    bixa Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello. I just joined this group and figured I ought to introduce myself. I'm a 23 year old woman and I have about 40 pounds I need to lose. Unfortunately, I've gained like...8 pounds in the past two months. I'm attributing this greatly to being out of school and not working early. Thus, I can stay up late and drink. My intention is not to totally stop drinking. I'm not an *kitten*, and I don't revert back to toddlerhood when I drink. I just want to drink less. On average,I drink 6-7 days a week. During the school year, that number is reduced to 3 to 5 days a week, as I actually have to be responsible.

One thing I've been trying is to switch to liquor. I guess I figure that having a gin and tonic or vodka and tonic (75 calories-ish) is better than a pabst,which is....like 145? I know that drinking more liquor and less beer seems rather odd, but at this point, I'm more concerned about calories and weight gain than i am alcohol addiction. I'll face that battle when I'm ready.
  • szuszanna
    szuszanna Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Leigh-Ann, and I just celebrated the 3rd anniversary of my 29th year! lol I've gained more than 120 pounds in the last 10 years or so, all from a poor lifestyle where booze factored in heavily. I just joined this site a few weeks ago, and have already lost about 6 pounds! My fiance and I are both big drinkers, and its hard for either of us to have just one. I just quit smoking (2+ months cigarette free!), so I know I can quit drinking too, but its going to be harder since he's a drinker too and doesn't really want to quit. It'll be nice to have some place to "go" for some support in this :)
  • jplord
    Options
    Reading your post makes me think we all have different reasons and different lifestyles, but we are bonded by the desire to change our lifestyles for the better, and get more out of life, and less out of the scale. Thanks for sharing.
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Bixa- I hear ya! I know quitting is unrealistic for me personally at this point, but I can dramatically reduce the amount and frequency.

szuszanna- I have the husband thing too! He is trying to cut down, but I'm trying to do it way faster than he is. I know most of my weight can be attributed to booze too... Congrats on quitting smoking!!! (insert clapping smily here) :wink:
  • sryan921
    sryan921 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My name is Sharon, I'm 33, and since joining this site a couple weeks ago, I realize that sometimes I drink more calories than I eat! :blushing: I'm not trying to quit, just trying to lose weight so I've decided to start slow by replacing the beer (which I can drink A LOT of) with vodka and light lemonade AND to not drink by myself. Usually I would come home from work to an always empty house and start with wine or beer, but am now planning on drinking lots of water and exercising. Wish me luck!