Introduce yourself :)

Options
2»

Replies

• sryan921
    sryan921 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

One thing I've been trying is to switch to liquor. I guess I figure that having a gin and tonic or vodka and tonic (75 calories-ish) is better than a pabst,which is....like 145? I know that drinking more liquor and less beer seems rather odd, but at this point, I'm more concerned about calories and weight gain than i am alcohol addiction. I'll face that battle when I'm ready.

EXACTLY me!
  • laurenhefner
    Options
    Hi, I'm Lauren. I'm 29 years old, living in the DC area.
    I used to drink A LOT in college, etc. My dad died of alcoholism when I was 21 and seeing his struggles throughout my life makes me hypersensitive to it, but I also enjoy wine and beer a lot. My friends drink a TON and it's hard to go out with them and not drink when they're trying to buy shots etc. Also, my husband and I love craft beer and wineries, so we're both trying to drink less and make sure any drinking is "worth it" - at an event, etc.
  • mammacano
    mammacano Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am so glad to find this group. I am a 42 year old mother of two boys (14 & 10) and I love to drink wine. However, I believe that I use wine to reduce my stress at home and it is sabotaging my weight loss/get fit efforts. I am hoping to cut waaay down. I usually drink 1-2 glasses at least 5-6 days a week and my goal is to eliminate it during the week and only have 1-2 glasses on the weekend.
  • Laramae09
    Laramae09 Posts: 47
    Options
    Hi! I am really excited to find this group! I am also a drinker. I am a 37 year old mother of 2 really great kids (daughter is almost 16 and son is 12) and step mom to 2 more really great kids (son is 9 and daughter is 6) I had quit for 2 months and was really starting to feel better, and then my kids left to spend the summer with their dad...I have not gone back to any hard liquor, but I really can't seem to keep in moderation, and my husband drinks too...It is my escape from reality I guess. I never feel super happy about it later though and I know it is stalling my weight loss if not causing it to go back up. I really appreciate any support and I am willing to be supportive too! I used to drink every night, now it is only about twice a week but it is large quantities of beer or wine.
  • ActTwoScene1
    Options
    So happy to find this group. I'm on day 2 of MFP, and certain to not meet my goal if I drink my usual amount of wine every night.

It's nice to have a place to be able to say that I have a hard time saying "no" after 1 glass..... so to moderate, I need to not have that first glass. It is both an escape and a mood boost, though. I really think that alcohol and food are very similar in that they both provide a soothing "something".

I'm working at losing 30 lbs. I'm 53 y.o. Any kindred spirits here? I guess we all are, in one way. I could tell by all your posts.

(p.s. I'm not sure how to use this message board. can we respond to individual posts? Anyway, I appreciate reading everything that you've all written so far. It's encouraging to see that it's possible to set up a way to help hold each other accountable.)
  • ActTwoScene1
    Options
    I
  • missoularocks
    missoularocks Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Hi, all! My name is Nikki, and I am a beer snob. lol
    I have recently realized that even if my calories allow it, drinking beer is not really helping with my weight loss. These last 10 pounds are pretty tough to shed, so I am trying to cut down to only drinking beer (1-2) on the weekends. It is a constant challenge for me because my husband drinks all week and doesn't gain a pound. I don't think he should have to stop drinking just because I want to lose some more weight. I just need to be strong and look forward to the weekends! :)
  • Shannon826
    Shannon826 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello :) My name is Shannon and I am a 28 year old general manager of a pub. Enough said??? I'm there 7 days a week about 65- 70 hours per week and cracking a couple cold ones with customers just happened to become part of my job description. The pressure to drink with regulars happens every day! To the point where I'll have up to 6 or 7 beers in a night (almost every night)....it's terrible. I've discussed the issue with my boyfriend and my mother and we've all agreed that I'm not an alcoholic....but may possibly on my way...and it's keeping me from reaching my weightloss goals. For the first time last week I started keeping track of my beverage calories...I don't know why I didn't think they mattered before...but in doing so I realized that I'm averaging 600 calories a day in alcohol....soome days double that!! So I took this step today...and guess I just need someone to understand where I'm coming from...So I drank water at the bar tonight and got made fun of...but I feel good :)
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Good for you, Shannon!
  • elispine
    elispine Posts: 23
    Options
    Hello, my name is Elisabeth I'm 35 years old. I have been married for 10 years and have 2 children, 8 and 5 years old. I love to drink... wine, beer, liquor you name it I like it.

Earlier this summer I started JM 30 DS and limited my drinking. I did pretty good, but then went on vacation and it all went out the window. I am reaching out for a support group from people who are like me. I like to drink but one drink is never enough, so I end up drinking to much. My goal is to teach myself moderation, I know it's not going to be easy but it will be worth it!!
  • meljoemom
    meljoemom Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I drank water at the bar tonight and got made fun of..

So, drink water with a lime in it and tell everyone it's vodka/gin on the rocks or a martini. Little white lies never hurt anyone. The teasing won't stop because sadly, the people that are in your pub drinking are not going to want to see you succeed. Keep it up!!!
  • meljoemom
    Options
    My goal is to teach myself moderation, I know it's not going to be easy but it will be worth it!!

Hi Elisabeth! I know it can be done. At my best I was only drinking on weekends and only AFTER a workout. My mom, who is a drinker as well went so far as to allow herself drinking and eating, but only up until 8 PM. She lost a TON of weight when she added in walking as well. We can do THIS!
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Hello, my name is Elisabeth I'm 35 years old. I have been married for 10 years and have 2 children, 8 and 5 years old. I love to drink... wine, beer, liquor you name it I like it.

Earlier this summer I started JM 30 DS and limited my drinking. I did pretty good, but then went on vacation and it all went out the window. I am reaching out for a support group from people who are like me. I like to drink but one drink is never enough, so I end up drinking to much. My goal is to teach myself moderation, I know it's not going to be easy but it will be worth it!!

Your honesty is encouraging. Moderation IS REALLY HARD. And the question in the back of my mind (our minds?) is "Am I an Alky?" Is it possible for me to be moderate or am I wired to be "Can't have just one" ? I know I am not willing to give up my cocktail libations, but the reality is I may have to.

So BRAVO to you and all on this group for being willing to examine our lives and our habits. Our goal should be to find balance in our lives, and that means something different to each of us. I should quit, and Joe Sixpak should trade his Belgian lambique ales for Michelob Ultra, and Velveeta D. Beutant needs to limit herself from 5:30 PM to 8:00 PM, and not start imbibing when Al Roker does the weather.

I'm going over to the August Goals post and commit to a goal and see how that goes for me.
  • icklekimmy
    icklekimmy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hey I am Kim and I am 30 years old. Being scottish i love a good bevvy! The main culprits are fruit ciders such as koppaberg, lager, southern comfort and french martinis, Pretty much all the high calorie tasty ones!
  • Fitorbust73
    Fitorbust73 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I am relatively new to the site... It is my desire to stop drinking... Over the years I have recognized that I binge drink and that it has a terrible impact on me and my family... It just isnt acceptable to me anymore. I want to be free of this feeling of guilt and shame and be a good example to my kids... I need help....
  • elispine
    Options
    Hello,

I am relatively new to the site... It is my desire to stop drinking... Over the years I have recognized that I binge drink and that it has a terrible impact on me and my family... It just isnt acceptable to me anymore. I want to be free of this feeling of guilt and shame and be a good example to my kids... I need help....

Welcome to the group! Binge drinking is my problem also, I'm working on cutting back not quiting. It's challenge but I know it is worth it. Good luck!
  • meljoemom
    Options
    Hello,

Take it one day at a time. And... reach out of you feel yourself going off the deep end. Try and remember what you want for your family.... You can do it!!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Lisa and I'm 41 years old. I'm a SAHM and I recently lost 70 lbs, resumed drinking and gained some back. I am giving up alcohol for sept and am already down 12 lbs! Right now I am 138 and my goal wt is 125.

Please wish me luck and nice to meet you!

Lisa