BE Support Group Conversation Thread - 2012

Options

Replies

• granyks
    granyks Posts: 5
    Options
    So far today I am in control. Day 1. Sigh!!!! This feels good. I even exercised. And I am researching online help for BE. Will be going to book store in town tomorrow with a list of self-help books for BE. Thanks y'all for the info and advice. My journey is beginning. Retirement will be a life changer in more ways than I could imagine. Its great to hear people who care about themselves and encourage each other to do the same. Sigh again!!!, Karen.
  • Windchild
    Windchild Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone.

I have never been formally diagnosed with an ED. However, I know from looking things up that I definitely binge eat. A lot. I am trying hard to work on this issue, but it is difficult. I feel very out of control sometimes like I just can't stop eating.

Yesterday, was a bad day. The funny thing, is that I was at a family gathering. And I couldn't stop eating. What didn't help was that the more I ate, the more food I kept being offered. "Are you sure you don't want more ..... ?" "Just a little more!" "Oh! There's plenty left!" And then I ended up eating more once I got home. -_-' Anyway!

So, back to trying to control my eating today. Back to Day 1. As someone else mentioned doing, I have a pattern of binging one day and then not eating, or having very few calories and excising more than I eat the next. Which ends up leading to another binge. Rinse and repeat. :frown: Anyone have any tips for this?
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned doing, I have a pattern of binging one day and then not eating, or having very few calories and excising more than I eat the next. Which ends up leading to another binge. Rinse and repeat. :frown: Anyone have any tips for this?

Welcome Windchild. I have been taught that it is very important for binge eaters to practice eating like a healthy person each and every day. We know bingeing is not healthy. Restriction is not healthy either. So even though we may have binged and now feel the need to compensate for that (or maybe we really aren't hungry), the restriction will inevitably lead us right back to a binge - every time.

On most diet plans we are told not to eat when we're not hungry. This is another reason diets don't work for us. Most of us are not in tune with our hunger - or we have the ability to mentally trick ourselves into not being hungry. So we restrict, with good intentions of losing weight. Lots of OTHER people can do this and be fine. But not us. Restriction messes with our heads.

The thought of eating when you're not necessarily hungry is really scary. But in order to prevent a binge, and in order to prevent the binge/restrict cycle, it is a promising strategy.
  • BobzStuff
    BobzStuff Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hey,

Last year I really got my binge eating under control. I was happy and enjoying life and I lost weight and felt amazing. This year I have struggled. I've been in a mild depression all year and can't seem to break it. I've also gained a lot of weight back. I want to regain control again. I'm looking into supplements to help with my depression. I used to use St. Johns Worts and will probably start again. Also working out helps. I have to stop making excuses and start living my life healthy again. I could always use support. We're all in this together. Thanks!
  • LittleLady2012
    Options
    Hello there, I hope you are all having a more productive day then I am =P

I need to confess, I just had a really bad binge (I have been off my game for over a week now :embarassed: ). I've lost 15lbs but when I just weighted myself it looks like I've put 10 of it back on.... I know some of this is water weight but I have never felt so guilty and depressed. I worked hard to lose this weight and in a matter of days I've got myself right back to the beginning. I know I am a emotional eater and I have been going threw some stressful events lately but I just can't believe how badly I've sbatoged myself. I feel so unmotivated and really out of it.

Advice and support welcome! (And needed haha)
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    On most diet plans we are told not to eat when we're not hungry. This is another reason diets don't work for us. Most of us are not in tune with our hunger - or we have the ability to mentally trick ourselves into not being hungry. So we restrict, with good intentions of losing weight. Lots of OTHER people can do this and be fine. But not us. Restriction messes with our heads.

The thought of eating when you're not necessarily hungry is really scary. But in order to prevent a binge, and in order to prevent the binge/restrict cycle, it is a promising strategy.
    Some days I set a timer for myself with my phone to make sure I eat something every 3 hours regardless of hunger or not. If we really think about it most of us are rarely hungry and if we as bingers wait until we are truly hungry it can back fire for sure. Thanks for reminder.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Welcome new ones and keep sharng!! Remember success is never giving up! Happy hump day!
  • kayakinggrrl
    kayakinggrrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    With all this discussion of recovery from BED, I'd like to know if a day will ever come that I will feel like I don't have to be super vigilant all the time, every time I am near food. I know some people that have had long term recovery from alcohol and it seems as if they get to a point that, even though they are still in recovery and have to be mindful of their exposure to alcohol, they don't have to think about avoiding their drug of choice all day every day. I know we don't have the luxury of avoiding food at all times but I really hope that a day comes that I don't have to think about and plan every bite I eat. It's very exhausting and having to spend this much effort and brain power every day avoiding a binge seems unsustainable sometimes.
  • HeinzPrincess
    Options
    I'm glad I found this group! This is a HUGE struggle for me. I lost weight successfully this year and then starting binging daily. I am on track today and trying the coping methods mentioned here to stay on track.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    With all this discussion of recovery from BED, I'd like to know if a day will ever come that I will feel like I don't have to be super vigilant all the time, every time I am near food. I know some people that have had long term recovery from alcohol and it seems as if they get to a point that, even though they are still in recovery and have to be mindful of their exposure to alcohol, they don't have to think about avoiding their drug of choice all day every day. I know we don't have the luxury of avoiding food at all times but I really hope that a day comes that I don't have to think about and plan every bite I eat. It's very exhausting and having to spend this much effort and brain power every day avoiding a binge seems unsustainable sometimes.
    I am not sure I believe there is true recovery from BED. I do know you have to do a lot of mind work and many times the help of a therpist is a crucial key to help you get there. I really can't assure you that you will totally recover from BED. It is an addiction. Keep in mind many who recover from other addictions still struggle with urges at times and many battle their demons not to turn to their drug of choice. Ours is food. The more you practice coping skills the easier it gets is all I can tell you. Mindfulness is something I think we will always have to do.

I feel sometimes that people wishing for this time when they will never have to think about BED and plan, etc are dreaming and it is a dream all of us wish for too. But I am too much of a realist to believe that since I am 47 years old and have been actively struggling with this problem over 27 years now. End of vent and rant :) Not sure this is what you want to hear but this is just my opinion. There is many books out there on this matter of recovery. Check with your library.
  • susiebear29
    susiebear29 Posts: 266
    Options
    Hi everyone, just joined this group today, I was too ashamed and embarrassed to do it before now and also thought (naively) that I had got control of my problem, unfortunately I had a major relapse over the weekend and binged on saturday night and sunday night to the point where I felt physically sick. I don't know why I do it, I have been binging since I was a child, I think I am trying to find some comfort and happiness in food but it never works I just feel guilty, ashamed and weak!! I hate my body and still feel fat even though I am 111lbs now, I just don't know how to stop myself and I am worried that I will have to live with this for all of my life, I can't avoid food like a previous poster pointed out it can't be avoided like alcohol/drugs/cigarettes! I dont have any junk food in the house but i will binge on anything I can get hold of, cereal, bread, crackers, peanut butter, cheese, anything really!! I really hope that this group can help me to cope with this and I hope that I can in return offer support to others!
  • eschorre
    eschorre Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I just joined as well and feel the exact same way. I have had a really bad few days. I keep telling myself tomorrow I will be better, and I do good until afternoon and blow it and then am so disgusted with myself and angry with myself. I just can't seem to get out of this cycle and decided that I need some help, so hopefully this support group will help. :-)
  • debomommyforhealth
    Options
    I have been a binge eater since I was 8 and used to hide food under my bed. I also struggle with anxiety and depression. I am seeing a therapist for it, but it's hard. Through MFP I have lost 15 lbs. And, I am training for a Half-marathon. On my non-binge days, I do really well. But, then blow it..lately once a week. It makes me feel so sluggish that I can't run the next day....added to the guilt. Just need some support. Rather than focusing on weight loss this week, I want to focus on days "clean" with no binge eating.

Anyone who wants to add me, I would love your support! Thanks!! :)

---Liz
  • msvega2001
    Options
    Hi...I just found this group and had to join. I did not know that so many women are going through what I am going through. I binge and binge like I am trying to fill a hole. I have put on 30lbs in the last 3 years and losing it feels like I am on a hamster trail to no where. I run 30 to 40 miles a week, but all of my exercise is negated when I binge which happens pretty frequently. I can go for 2 or 3 weeks without a binge and then it comes on like a monster. I think that part of it has to do with PMS, since it happens every month at about the same time 2 to 3 weeks before my period. So far, so good with the site, but I could use some support. :) Please feel free to add me as a friend.

It would be nice to hear from others to hear how they are resisting their binges and methods that they are using to cope.
  • kayakinggrrl
    kayakinggrrl Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think that part of it has to do with PMS, since it happens every month at about the same time 2 to 3 weeks before my period.

I have the same difficulty. I tend to have much more intense cravings for junk in the week or so before my period. I can do great for a few weeks and then when the PMS roles around, things get really tough.
  • mrowrmeowmrowr
    mrowrmeowmrowr Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Hi every one! Glad to join this group--it seems a bit more active than the other BED group.

I've struggled with BED for ~7 years now. My semi-bulimic tendencies developed only 2-3 years ago. I'm still a student (graduating in Dec.), but since it has been summer I've been struggling more than usual, without my weekly therapy sessions.

I've reached a low point this summer and I'm really feeling cruddy. I've been on this site a year and I think I'm back to my starting weight. I don't even want to go near a scale :(

I do want to pick everyone's brain. I'm in a relatively new relationship ~ 3 weeks, and it is becoming clear that it will be a serious one. He's pretty much perfect--so far. At what point do I make it known that I'm struggling with an ED? I'm finally getting to the point that I can go to a restaurant and not have it ruin my day, but I do see problems arising in the future with intimacy and what not. He's in good shape--I'm not. I just feel fat compared to him, it's really going to my head. Healthy food, exercise/weightlifting are some of my passions and obsessions, but I find that I'm really having to cut out the exercise because I'm getting overwhelmed. He's into going to the gym and he knows I used to be really into weightlifting and I can tell he's wondering why I'm avoiding the gym so much. I'm not sure how to respond--I feel like if I try to get back into exercising, I'm going to go crazy with it and really get into the binging again.

Thoughts?
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Hello there,

I am listening to Geneen Roth's book Bite by Bite in my car and it is very good so far. I have it for two weeks before I have to return it to the library so I will have a chance to listen to it 2 or more times for sure.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Hello there,

I am listening to Geneen Roth's book Bite by Bite in my car and it is very good so far. I have it for two weeks before I have to return it to the library so I will have a chance to listen to it 2 or more times for sure.

Cool! That is not one I've read.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    She has a lot of books and right now since I don't have time to read them I am going to listen to all the ones on CD's for now. She is very good!! A lot of the stuff I have heard and read before but such good reminders still.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I know this is off subject but I had to share it with all of my groups and threads.

Check out this very interesting article: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/08/01/dieting-vs-exercise-for-weight-loss

What are your thoughts and opinions on this matter. I totally agree with it and can attest to it personally on so many levels because as many of you know I am very consistent with my exercise but the bottom line is until I decrease my intake with food it is all in vain.

Have a wonderful day and keep thinking positive thoughts!!! Hugs!
This discussion has been closed.