Do you know you are being "hit on"?

Options
Moe4572
Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
Some may think this is a silly question, but my coworkers tell me I am dense. I work in a construction office and we have a lot of contractors come in ........... now in their business due to machines, etc. MANY of them can't/don't wear wedding rings so that avenue of seeing if married is not valid--not that it ever occurs to me to look anyway :)

Anyway, one coworker tells me I am dense, dumb and blind when guys are hitting on me, I just don't get it. And, I never think it is happening.....they tell me AFTER--I am clueless.

HELP!!!

Replies

• oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way most of the time unless it's completely obvious. I always assume men are just trying to be nice and/or just friends.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I've always been this way... You have to be rather direct for me to realize your hitting on me. Though I have gotten better. Part of my problem is I'm a very friendly person so I just asume everyone else is trying to be friendly to lol
  • The_Iron
    The_Iron Posts: 288
    Options
    In an environment like work you can only do so much to show interest without straight up talking about going out or whatev which may or may not be inappropriate. In your case, Moe, I would say eye contact from both sides can go a long way. if you feel confident, slip the guy your number on a post-it note! Also, the willingness to continue conversation beyond work related matters.
  • The_Iron
    Options
    And FYI I have never had a problem showing someone I am interested, when I AM interested... People need to learn to be more direct instead of beating around the bush.
  • Moe4572
    Options
    And FYI I have never had a problem showing someone I am interested, when I AM interested... People need to learn to be more direct instead of beating around the bush.

See, this is the problem, though.....even if they are thinking they are being direct, I am clueless....I am on shy side and just assume they are trying to be chatty .....
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I'm TOTALLY dense! I'd think they are just being friendly. :ohwell:
    I'm in manufacturing and guys here are the same way, not wearing a ring!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Moe, Lucky girl that you see so many guys on a daily basis. I work with all women and gay men. Since your co-workers obviously see something you don't maybe you should ask them to give you a secret signal when they think you need to get a little flirty or something?
  • Moe4572
    Options
    Moe, Lucky girl that you see so many guys on a daily basis. I work with all women and gay men. Since your co-workers obviously see something you don't maybe you should ask them to give you a secret signal when they think you need to get a little flirty or something?

Hmm....secret signal might work...
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Moe, Lucky girl that you see so many guys on a daily basis. I work with all women and gay men.

The city you live in doesn't help either if you're looking for non-gay men!

I would say I am clueless but that would be overstating my ability.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Completely clueless unless they're direct and straight up as for my number or ask me out (and even then I might still question whether maybe they're just super friendly). This is one of the reasons I DO like online dating- pretty obvious.

I agree that people shouldn't beat around the bush. I'm not the type to go up to a guy (unless I've been drinking) so that's not an option. I've had this type of comversation with some online dates and they said its hard meeting women nowadays.

I like the secret signal thing!!
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Moe, Lucky girl that you see so many guys on a daily basis. I work with all women and gay men.

Nerple, OMG so true!!! Although I do work in downtown Boston.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I've never been able to easily tell when someone was hitting on me. I was even more hopeless when I was a teenager and in my early 20s. I've gotten much better at reading people since then, but some things still trip me up.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Unless a guy actually says "would you like to go for a drink? or 'here's my number, call me" etc, then I just think men are as friendly as I am :bigsmile:

Mind you, sometimes I kinda think there is a different eye contact/smile and a waft of chemistry............:bigsmile: But that's a fleeting feeling that might be coming from me? If it isnt followed up by him, I just think I must have got it wrong :ohwell:

I interviewed a guy once for an hour/half and my boss came and interrupted. He said that I was needed out back. I thought he was really rude and took exception as I was getting on really well with the guy. My boss took over the interview. It wasnt till the guy left that my boss told me he was chatting me up!!

So yeah, without the guy stating the obvious I think most women are clueless/modest/unassuming...........:huh:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I either have no idea or never get hit on (most likely the latter).
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

Nerple, OMG so true!!! Although I do work in downtown Boston.

Then there is hope yet!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm so sadly oblivious...
  • cdngirl71
    cdngirl71 Posts: 2,707 Member
    Options
    I don't know when I am being hit on either. I just assume they are being friendly, ha ha.
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I never know when I am being hit on. The only time I ever "knew" i was bing hit on was in college a gal came up to me in a club and said, "are you going to stare at me all night or are you going to call me some time" as she handed me her number.

Outside of that I don't think I have ever been hit on. In Real Life that is...I have been hit on online but I also flirt better online.
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Other than when someone has directly come up and asked for my number, I'm oblivious. I'm working on not staring at my beer bottle or the floor when I'm out so I'm paying more attention to my surroundings.

I've stopped paying attention at work though honestly. Even being flirty at work makes for an awkward environment and is often mis-interpretted as meaning more than it does, at least in my experience, so I'm staying away from that angle...I know there are a million cliches, BUT "You shouldn't get your honey where you get your money." Now if only I could remember that when the 35 year old, 6'4" hottie two aisles over walks by, haha....
  • The_Iron
    Options
    Ladies & Gents both... when interested but in doubt... hold up "the shocker"!