Do you know you are being "hit on"?

Options

Replies

• dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I am oblivious. Not as bad as I used to be but still clueless. I once had a girl undoing my pants with her teeth. I wasn't like oh hell yeah this is awesome. I was thinking, how the hell did we get here without me having a clue that she was interested.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I can usually tell, it's pretty easy. When they say "That shirt is very becoming on you, and if I was on you I'd be coming too," that means they're hitting on you.

If they say "Good morning" and then mention something about the weather they are likely just being friendly. But if it's something in between it's generally all about body language. If he's staring at your cleavage he wants you, if he's staring off into space he probably doesn't.
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    I am oblivious. Not as bad as I used to be but still clueless. I once had a girl undoing my pants with her teeth. I wasn't like oh hell yeah this is awesome. I was thinking, how the hell did we get here without me having a clue that she was interested.

:laugh:

That' s pretty oblivious!!!
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options
    It's in the eyes. I also look at body language.

There is a big difference between a man being "friendly" and "hitting on you." But there is also that inbetween... that flirty friendly... which is harder to read than the straight up hit. In that case, I just smile brightly and do the friendly flirt thing right back. It's like I have this button that just gets pushed when I realize a man is flirting with me... lol... and I turn into smiles and eyes...and my voice changes, too... LOL

Some people are the complete opposite, though. I have a friend who seems to think every man she talks to wants her body! LOL
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I'm working on not staring at my beer bottle or the floor when I'm out so I'm paying more attention to my surroundings.

Oooh me too! It's sometimes like information overload when I try to look around, but I'm getting darn sick of staring at people's feet! Plus if you stare down like that all the time, they probably just think you're crotch-gazing anyway! I really have to stop being so shy, it isn't helping my cause at all!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Ladies & Gents both... when interested but in doubt... hold up "the shocker"!

What does this mean Joshua?? :laugh:
  • RMuske
    RMuske Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I never have a clue. And when I like someone on a date I am never convinced they feel the same unless they spell it out for me. I am inept when it comes to "signs" I guess.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HqY9Ie74v8
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I struggle too. For instance I read in a magazine that if a guy says like "oh it would be fun to do
    " it means he wants f
    to do that with you. One time a guy mentioned rock climbing to me and I said back "that would be fun!
    If you ever wanna do it let me know." I thought he was hitting on me. Needless to say he never asked me out.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Unless a guy actually says "would you like to go for a drink? or 'here's my number, call me" etc, then I just think men are as friendly as I am :bigsmile:

Me to a T. I'm really shy around guys so being hit on is over my head.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    lol not even close
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Totally clueless...Unless its a very obvious double take or" hey would you like to get a coffee/drink"
    I think my clueless-ness leads me to feel I'm invisible..I search for some sign..OR I am invisible and no one is interested. I prefer to think I'm clueless...that means someone out there is interested and I just need them to be less subtle.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Totally clueless...Unless its a very obvious double take or" hey would you like to get a coffee/drink"
    I think my clueless-ness leads me to feel I'm invisible..I search for some sign..OR I am invisible and no one is interested. I prefer to think I'm clueless...that means someone out there is interested and I just need them to be less subtle.
  • The_Iron
    The_Iron Posts: 288
    Options

Maybe it's called "something else" in England.... :laugh: here ya go...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shocker_(hand_gesture)
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HqY9Ie74v8

Thanks Nerps :flowerforyou:

What came first, the hand gesture or the song?? I can't imagine people singing that seriously?
  • AnnaPixie
    Options

Maybe it's called "something else" in England.... :laugh: here ya go...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shocker_(hand_gesture)

Nope, the only gesture I've seen like that was shown to me by a couple of lesbian friends I know. But they made use of the thumb too!!! :wink:
  • SouthernSweetie74
    Options

Definitely clueless! You're beautiful!
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options
    I have to be honest,if it was something obvious my first thought would still be that it was maybe a practical joke or she was really making fun of me. :ohwell:
  • BigBrewski
    BigBrewski Posts: 922 Member
    Options

LOL
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I used to think everyone who was nice to me was actually hitting on me (I know, I know, lol!). Then I overheard some coworkers making fun of me behind my back and realized that most were either just being nice/friendly guys, or just trying to win a dare from their buddies. That was a couple years ago.

So then I flipped sides and believed that no one could possibly be interested romantically. Maybe my ex was right- I was fat and ugly and no one wanted me. So when guys were making chit-chat I didn't realize they were trying to gauge interest and, with my silence unknowingly shut them down.

I'm getting better at learning the signals now (smiling at you a lot, open stance, touching your arm if he's close by, doing stuff he normally doesn't do for others, behaving differently when you come around, stuff like that), but I still have to the fight the feeling that that they aren't serious about liking me (I’m so thankful for the ones who come straight out and ask for my number). That it's just a joke to laugh with their buddies later. Or just a way to pass the time. Or just a "lonely moment."

I was thinking about this thread today when the guy sitting next to me in our conference kept trying to talk to me about dumb stuff. I'm not very smiley at work. Or chit-chatty. I'm glad I realized what was going on eventually and actually smiled at him. His whole demeanor opened up and he got my chair, drink, etc during lunch. I probably won't see him again, but the rest of the day was much more fun once I realized that he was, indeed, flirting.