Stuff no one tells you...

Replies

• LadyJocc
    LadyJocc Posts: 151 Member

I was told anything bigger than a golf ball. I had some that were larger than a half-dollar, and so I called my OB's office to ask, "About the golf ball thing, is that cumulative or at one time?" They told me to rest and take it easy (not so easy when you're home alone with a newborn) and to worry about whether or not I was filling up a pad in an hour's time (I think that was the standard).

As someone else said, it definitely has a specific, "earthy" smell, and there are lots of clots. TMI alert - they are reminiscent of bloody leeches (not that I've ever seen any in person). They also kind of slip out of you. It's pretty gross. The good news is that the heavy bleeding does not last for very long (maybe a week or a week and a half? I can't remember), and the larger clots are really only for a few days. Then it's kind of like a heavy period with some random, small clots. Pretty soon it tapers off to a lighter period-type bleeding. My OB's office accidentally scheduled my 6-week postpartum visit at 5 weeks, at which point I was cleared for normal activity, but I remember that they asked me how long ago my bleeding had stopped, and it had been about a week. So, long story short, I bled for about four weeks.

You're also not allowed to wipe down there - you have to use that squirt bottle thing (warm water is your friend) to clean yourself after using the bathroom. I don't know if that's any different if you have a c-section, but it suuuuucks not being able to wipe. (You can wipe your backside, though, don't worry.)

It's just hard because you're working on little to no sleep and worrying about your newborn, and you have your own bleeding and sensitive vajayjay to deal with.

The hospital gives you these rockin' mesh panties and super-absorbent maxi pads. They are the best!!! Raid your hospital for as many as you can get your hands on (both the pads and the panties). Ask for more if you have to. But you will run out eventually, so you'll have to use panties that you don't mind tossing if they get badly stained, and I remember buying these Kotex super-long overnight maxi pads. (Please excuse the fact that the link is to freaking diapers.com!) http://www.diapers.com/p/kotex-overnight-maxi-pads-with-wings-255413?site=CA&utm_source=cse&utm_medium=cpc_D&utm_term=KC-430B&utm_campaign=Google&CAWELAID=1338728046&utm_content=pla&cagpspn=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

Anyway, it's gross but short-lived. I wish someone had told me just how heavy/gross it can be, especially because I got all worked up that one day when I called my OB's office. I actually called my husband home from the office because I was afraid I was bleeding too much and didn't want him to come home to me dead on the floor with a screaming, starving newborn. Yeah, I was a little hyper.

Holy **** Rebecca - THANK YOU. I honestly had never heard about any of this. I mean, totally understandable why moms with new babies would want to omit that part when telling the birth story, but really - thank you for the education!
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Oh my God, y'all, this thread is like a really bad traffic accident. I. CAN. NOT. LOOK. AWAY. But it is freaking me out! :-)

It's nice not feeling like such a freak though. :) That's why I love this group. We're all in this craziness together.

RIGHT!!!! if it weren't for this group I'd probably go crazy lol
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    The morning sickness....all day and night.

And no strong cravings, besides fruit. Mostly food aversion.

Now insomnia....

And pain in the night, slight a sharp stretching pain in my stomach......what's that? Stretching ligaments? It's actually wakes me up in the night it hurts that bad.

The pain sounds like round ligament pain. I've had it all through my second trimester and even a few times in week 28 and 29 :( It sucks, but it's normal.

Thanks Prego! I googled it, and that sounds like it.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    um.... yikes! first timer here -- can you elaborate? :huh:
    Well before the delivery make a trip to the pharmacy and buy the biggest thickest feminine pad you can find. Better yet is to look around the adult diapering section, I am very serious! Only take panties to the hospital, which you do not mind throwing out, because you will! Better yet, get a few disposable panties.
    Especially in case of vaginal delivery, the bleeding in the first week can be massive. For me , it diminished, almost stopped after a week, but the first week was like WTH happening? It is normal though.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member

Now insomnia....

And pain in the night, slight a sharp stretching pain in my stomach......what's that? Stretching ligaments? It's actually wakes me up in the night it hurts that bad.

The pain sounds like round ligament pain. I've had it all through my second trimester and even a few times in week 28 and 29 :( It sucks, but it's normal.

The best way to avoid it is to stand up slowly and stretch your groin muscles regularly (runner's stretch is what I do). It'll help that whole area stay loose.

runners_stretch.jpg
  • redheadmommy
    Had to have one (episiotomy) when I had my daughter....they used some weird looking pair of scissors, that I'm sure has some official name unknown to me.
    Yep, same with me. I do not know the scissor name, but a Dr friend explained to me that they have to do it with scissors, because that is the only way to know they will not cut into the baby head. With a knife or razor, they won't know how deep to cut.
  • redheadmommy
    Oh my God, y'all, this thread is like a really bad traffic accident. I. CAN. NOT. LOOK. AWAY. But it is freaking me out! :-)
    You better watch a few birth videos in a hurry, because giving birth is a messy , ugly , and painful business. You have to prepare yourself mentally for it.
    However, at the end there will be this amazing little person in your arm, and that is worth everything.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    You better watch a few birth videos in a hurry, because giving birth is a messy , ugly , and painful business. You have to prepare yourself mentally for it.
    However, at the end there will be this amazing little person in your arm, and that is worth everything.

There are several available on youtube that show different births (water, natural, hospital, etc.) I find them to be very educational and helpful to see how these things go in real life with real moms, dads, and babies.
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    O.M.G. scissors so they don't cut the baby? clots the size of golf balls? I most definitely did not know this is what I'm signing up for! (I know not everyone has to have an epesiotomy) YIKES! I guess at least I'm a little more prepared for all the gross/scariness that is delivery and post delivery. EEK!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member

I was told anything bigger than a golf ball. I had some that were larger than a half-dollar, and so I called my OB's office to ask, "About the golf ball thing, is that cumulative or at one time?" They told me to rest and take it easy (not so easy when you're home alone with a newborn) and to worry about whether or not I was filling up a pad in an hour's time (I think that was the standard).

As someone else said, it definitely has a specific, "earthy" smell, and there are lots of clots. TMI alert - they are reminiscent of bloody leeches (not that I've ever seen any in person). They also kind of slip out of you. It's pretty gross. The good news is that the heavy bleeding does not last for very long (maybe a week or a week and a half? I can't remember), and the larger clots are really only for a few days. Then it's kind of like a heavy period with some random, small clots. Pretty soon it tapers off to a lighter period-type bleeding. My OB's office accidentally scheduled my 6-week postpartum visit at 5 weeks, at which point I was cleared for normal activity, but I remember that they asked me how long ago my bleeding had stopped, and it had been about a week. So, long story short, I bled for about four weeks.

You're also not allowed to wipe down there - you have to use that squirt bottle thing (warm water is your friend) to clean yourself after using the bathroom. I don't know if that's any different if you have a c-section, but it suuuuucks not being able to wipe. (You can wipe your backside, though, don't worry.)

It's just hard because you're working on little to no sleep and worrying about your newborn, and you have your own bleeding and sensitive vajayjay to deal with.

The hospital gives you these rockin' mesh panties and super-absorbent maxi pads. They are the best!!! Raid your hospital for as many as you can get your hands on (both the pads and the panties). Ask for more if you have to. But you will run out eventually, so you'll have to use panties that you don't mind tossing if they get badly stained, and I remember buying these Kotex super-long overnight maxi pads. (Please excuse the fact that the link is to freaking diapers.com!) http://www.diapers.com/p/kotex-overnight-maxi-pads-with-wings-255413?site=CA&utm_source=cse&utm_medium=cpc_D&utm_term=KC-430B&utm_campaign=Google&CAWELAID=1338728046&utm_content=pla&cagpspn=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

Anyway, it's gross but short-lived. I wish someone had told me just how heavy/gross it can be, especially because I got all worked up that one day when I called my OB's office. I actually called my husband home from the office because I was afraid I was bleeding too much and didn't want him to come home to me dead on the floor with a screaming, starving newborn. Yeah, I was a little hyper.

Holy **** Rebecca - THANK YOU. I honestly had never heard about any of this. I mean, totally understandable why moms with new babies would want to omit that part when telling the birth story, but really - thank you for the education!

So true. Thank you. Because I would totally call my husband at work for the same reason. Now I will know I'm probably not going to die. Always good to know! :-)
  • nursenikki829
    nursenikki829 Posts: 432 Member
    Overall, I loved being pregnant every time. (This is my fourth go around). Your pregnancy is what you make it (obviously there are extenuating circumstances). Take everything in stride and enjoy this time! You are creating life!!!! I have had beautiful pregnancies and three all natural births (no meds, no IV, minimal or no cervical exams). I am currently planning a homebirth for my fourth baby. It is important to educate yourselves to the birth experience, and that minimalizes many of these complications that are discussed. First time moms, please watch the new Business of Being Born so you can see how beautiful the birth process can be, and remember that pregnancy is individualized and different for everyone. So don't let this thread freak you out, always take everything that people say with a grain of salt.
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Overall, I loved being pregnant every time. (This is my fourth go around). Your pregnancy is what you make it (obviously there are extenuating circumstances). Take everything in stride and enjoy this time! You are creating life!!!! I have had beautiful pregnancies and three all natural births (no meds, no IV, minimal or no cervical exams). I am currently planning a homebirth for my fourth baby. It is important to educate yourselves to the birth experience, and that minimalizes many of these complications that are discussed. First time moms, please watch the new Business of Being Born so you can see how beautiful the birth process can be, and remember that pregnancy is individualized and different for everyone. So don't let this thread freak you out, always take everything that people say with a grain of salt.

I have to admit that I'm kind of a squeamish person by nature. I get that from my mom. My mom told me when she was taking childbirth classes and they asked her what her plan was for delivery, her response was "I'm just going to close my eyes and hope for the best."

I deliberately never read or watched anything on birthing babies until AFTER I got pregnant (then I watched The Business of Being Born), because, in all honesty, I didn't want the childbirth process to scare me when I was trying to get pregnant. By the way, I totally second the recommendation to watch The Business of Being Born for anyone who is looking for an education on what the process looks like. I also watched many episodes of A Baby Story (for a different view of what it could look like). And I love reading everyone's birth stories (the glowing beautiful ones and the scary ones alike).

I kind of assume everyone will have a totally different experience, so I am taking everything with a grain of salt (if freaking out a little bit thinking about some of the possibilities). I still think it's good to share this stuff though. Honestly, now is the time I want to know all the possibilities of what COULD happen. For example, I think that stuff that RBX shared is so good. Maybe it won't happen to me. But if it does, now I won't freak out.

Good to get my freaking out done here, I think.
  • Crying_In_Color
    Crying_In_Color Posts: 246 Member
    You girls seem to have it fairly easy so far with the bleeding. I"m pregnant with baby number 4 and am preparing for the just about hemmorage that I get each time I give birth. I would kill for golf ball sized clots instead of clots bigger then both of my fists. Luckily, for bleeders like me, they have a wonderful set of pills they insert in your *kitten* to stop the bleeding.
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    ok, so for the bleeding. Those of you who had a lot, (CiC mentioned a pill) did you get the petocine shot afterward? i want a natural birth but if getting some petocine after helps me not have crazy bleeding I may be down for that. I'm not all about bleeding like crazy!
  • Crying_In_Color
    Crying_In_Color Posts: 246 Member
    I cannot be completely sure but I think that Petocine is what caused my major bleeding. The worst bleeding I have ever had so far was with my 2nd child and I was induced. I was given Petocine to help boost my labor. It was the most painful birth I have ever experienced and the most dangerous. Again, I cannot say for sure if that is what caused it or not. My 3rd was heavy bleeding but nowhere near like the 2nd child. They automatically just inserted the pills after they cut the cord to make sure I didn't bleed like that again. I remember standing up, when the nurses though I was okay and then seeing something the size of a football or slightly smaller fall out of me and hit the floor. The nurses panicked and I was told to get back in bed. They rushed the baby and everybody out of the room. I was there for 5 hours waiting for the bleeding to stop and be cleared to even hold my child.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member

Now insomnia....

I get that all the time, too, sometimes if I cough, sneeze, or just roll over too quickly in bed and my hips don't follow as quickly. It hurts!!!
  • RBXChas

You're welcome! It can be really unsettling how much there is, but some women luck out and don't have much - but don't be shocked if you do bleed a fair amount.

After giving birth (at least vaginally - I have no idea what the effects are after a c-section), your vagina is cup-shaped rather than, well, canal-shaped, I guess. So blood and clots tend to collect in it while you're sitting/lying down, and then when you get up, it all comes out :sick: As such, it's really easy if your pad has shifted or something to have a bit of a mess, and you have to change pads fairly often.

Like I said, on its own it's no fun, but it is just an added thing to have to juggle when you're likely figuring everything else out, too.
  • RBXChas
    O.M.G. scissors so they don't cut the baby? clots the size of golf balls? I most definitely did not know this is what I'm signing up for! (I know not everyone has to have an epesiotomy) YIKES! I guess at least I'm a little more prepared for all the gross/scariness that is delivery and post delivery. EEK!

Don't fear - I had a vaginal birth and did not have an episiotomy. I barely had a tear, and it was so small that my OB questioned whether or not I even needed any stitches. (To be safe, she gave me one tiny stitch. I'd had an epidural, so I didn't feel a thing.)
  • RBXChas

I have to admit that I'm kind of a squeamish person by nature. I get that from my mom. My mom told me when she was taking childbirth classes and they asked her what her plan was for delivery, her response was "I'm just going to close my eyes and hope for the best."

I deliberately never read or watched anything on birthing babies until AFTER I got pregnant (then I watched The Business of Being Born), because, in all honesty, I didn't want the childbirth process to scare me when I was trying to get pregnant. By the way, I totally second the recommendation to watch The Business of Being Born for anyone who is looking for an education on what the process looks like. I also watched many episodes of A Baby Story (for a different view of what it could look like). And I love reading everyone's birth stories (the glowing beautiful ones and the scary ones alike).

I kind of assume everyone will have a totally different experience, so I am taking everything with a grain of salt (if freaking out a little bit thinking about some of the possibilities). I still think it's good to share this stuff though. Honestly, now is the time I want to know all the possibilities of what COULD happen. For example, I think that stuff that RBX shared is so good. Maybe it won't happen to me. But if it does, now I won't freak out.

Good to get my freaking out done here, I think.

Yeah, not everyone has that kind of bleeding, but I'd rather be prepared for it than surprised by it.

Overall, I have to say that as your L&D is happening, you're just kind of in the moment. There's not a whole lot of time or energy to focus on the big picture, to freak out about the fact that in a matter of hours you will have a baby. Even with the same woman, two births can be completely different, so even the veterans have to learn to go with the flow. Of course, a birth plan with contingencies is a good thing, but for the most part you have to be ready for anything!
  • RBXChas
    ok, so for the bleeding. Those of you who had a lot, (CiC mentioned a pill) did you get the petocine shot afterward? i want a natural birth but if getting some petocine after helps me not have crazy bleeding I may be down for that. I'm not all about bleeding like crazy!

Honestly I don't remember, sorry! I think some people are just prone to it for whatever reason, but since my bleeding was not at a dangerous level, there was no need. It's sort of a given that most (but not all) women bleed a fair amount.

Even the people I know who got off fairly lightly on the bleeding front still had to use those industrial sized pads for a few days. Their bleeding was just shorter-lived than mine, and they didn't have as many clots.