Stuff no one tells you...

Options

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Oh, I forgot to mention the cramps postpartum. They may rival some of your worst menstrual cramps. The good news is that you can take ibuprofen after birth! (That is, assuming there are no other reasons why you couldn't, of course.)

When you breastfeed, the cramping intensifies, thanks to oxytocin.

It's your uterus shrinking down to its pre-pregnancy size, and it's totally normal. (Note that after birth they will massage your uterus to help it shrink. When you get checked by your OB every day you are in the hospital, s/he will feel it more, and it will be uncomfortable because they press on it pretty hard. (External check, that's it.)

However, the cramping only lasts a few days, and it can be easily managed with OTC pain medicine. I think my OB even allowed me to stagger ibuprofen and naproxen sodium (Aleve) or acetaminophen (Tylenol).

No one ever told me that, and I was absolutely not prepared for it. Only when I was suffering from it did anyone say anything (and she told me that it gets worse with subsequent births - GREAT!).
  • RBXChas
    Options
    The mucous plug looks like a big booger (sometimes with red/pink/brown in it), and it doesn't all come out at once.

I recommend carrying around an extra pair of panties and some pantiliners or lighter pads towards the end of your pregnancy, if you're not already wearing a pad.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    O.M.G. scissors so they don't cut the baby? clots the size of golf balls? I most definitely did not know this is what I'm signing up for! (I know not everyone has to have an epesiotomy) YIKES! I guess at least I'm a little more prepared for all the gross/scariness that is delivery and post delivery. EEK!
    Do not freak out! If they do episiomy , they wither use local anasthetic or you are having an epidural. They barely ever do those without something for pain management, so you do not actually feel it. Luckily you also can not see it , when they do it.

Also it is not true that you only can get an epidural at the initial phase. I did the whole stage one without medication, then pushed for 2hrs and the baby started show distress. At that point, they gave me an epidural because they thought it is going to end up a c-section. After the epidural, they tried the episiomy + forceps combo first, which worked and i got away without the section.

Because the episiomy and forceps , they gave me a bottle coated tylenol 3 to take during the recovery first week. However I actually never take a single one of them, because it wasn't that bad.
    For me most of the big gush of blood came while I breastfeed, which is expected because of the oxitocyn. Although it cause cramps and makes your uterus shrink faster , it is the happy hormone in a way. When you are breastfeed, you are so preoccupied looking at your precious baby that you barely notice what is going on down there.

For me the the whole recovery was just gross down there, but I didn't find it painful.
  • Wickedmeowmer
    Options
    Oh god, so GROSS, so grrrooooossssss. But I'm glad I'm sort of prepared for it. ;)
  • RBXChas
    Options
    For me the the whole recovery was just gross down there, but I didn't find it painful.

Agree COMPLETELY with this statement. Yeah, I was a little sore down there for a few days, but it wasn't painful. The cramps hurt, but I managed fine with some Advil, and the hospital has you taking it regularly while you're there.
  • mandalu292
    mandalu292 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This entire discussion started out making me laugh and by the end of it my vagina is cringing! There is a reason I didn't read ahead in the baby books... this is all the stuff I was worried about reading. But like you all have said, better to know than to be caught off guard. But seriously, yikes!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Really, there is a lot of scary sounding stuff. You can get totally freaked out if you read about it or research it too much. It isn't as bad as it all seems. It can get pretty gross at times, stuff can be uncomfortable, but really, what I remember the most about my first 2 is cuddling them, loving them and enjoying them. Babies can do some pretty gross stuff too, but they are so darned adorable that you just get over it.
  • RBXChas
    Options
    This entire discussion started out making me laugh and by the end of it my vagina is cringing! There is a reason I didn't read ahead in the baby books... this is all the stuff I was worried about reading. But like you all have said, better to know than to be caught off guard. But seriously, yikes!

The only pregnancy book I read last time was _The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy_ written by a non-doctor/nurse. It was really amusing and covered a lot of the stuff that isn't really discussed. You don't need to read it cover to cover, but you could in pretty short order. I referred back to it from time to time.

http://www.amazon.com/Girlfriends-Guide-Pregnancy-everything-doctor/dp/B001NXDTSI/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354734683&sr=1-1&keywords=girlfriend's+guide+to+pregnancy

I guess it's hard to find in print now, but you can buy it as an e-book.
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options

The only pregnancy book I read last time was _The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy_ written by a non-doctor/nurse. It was really amusing and covered a lot of the stuff that isn't really discussed. You don't need to read it cover to cover, but you could in pretty short order. I referred back to it from time to time.

http://www.amazon.com/Girlfriends-Guide-Pregnancy-everything-doctor/dp/B001NXDTSI/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1354734683&sr=1-1&keywords=girlfriend's+guide+to+pregnancy

I guess it's hard to find in print now, but you can buy it as an e-book.

One of my friends just sent me this but I haven't begun reading it yet - now I can't wait to check it out!
  • Jenny_Rose77
    Jenny_Rose77 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    The book, Sh*tty Mom: A Parenting Guide for the Rest of Us, sort of fits in with this thread. And it is awesome. Here's a link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1419704591

A lot of it is tongue-in-cheek, but there's real advice in there too. Overall, I laughed out loud many times when reading it. And I'm recommending it here for anyone who finds they need to chillax a bit with all the worries.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    The morning sickness....all day and night.

And no strong cravings, besides fruit. Mostly food aversion.

Now insomnia....

And pain in the night, slight a sharp stretching pain in my stomach......what's that? Stretching ligaments? It's actually wakes me up in the night it hurts that bad.

The pain sounds like round ligament pain. I've had it all through my second trimester and even a few times in week 28 and 29 :( It sucks, but it's normal.

Thanks Prego! I googled it, and that sounds like it.

The best way to avoid it is to stand up slowly and stretch your groin muscles regularly (runner's stretch is what I do). It'll help that whole area stay loose.

runners_stretch.jpg

Thank you!
  • LadyJocc
    LadyJocc Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I agree- this whole thread is beyond helpful! I've been trying to avoid the 'freak myself out by researching everything' trap, but it is nice to know in advance that you'll be wearing industrial pads after delivery, that you have to rinse with a water bottle, or that you won't feel an episiotomy due to the anesthetic.

Actually - I think I feel more calm (grossed out, but calm) after reading this. So, thanks again veteran mothers.

I also watched and loved the 'Business of Being Born' - great documentary. And I just finished 'The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy' - definitely recommend if you want some humor/snark.

Here's a random question for you guys: do you use prescription prenatal vitamins or over the counter? Is there really any difference (besides the price tag)?
  • TLCEsq
    Options
    Here's a random question for you guys: do you use prescription prenatal vitamins or over the counter? Is there really any difference (besides the price tag)?

I use over the counter (Centrum) plus extra EFAs and flaxseed oil. My friend had some prescribed to her with extra B6 and iron, but she ended up not liking them. I wouldn't think any expecting mama would "need" prescription prenatals absent specific health conditions, but that's just my two cents.
  • LadyJocc
    LadyJocc Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I use over the counter (Centrum) plus extra EFAs and flaxseed oil. My friend had some prescribed to her with extra B6 and iron, but she ended up not liking them. I wouldn't think any expecting mama would "need" prescription prenatals absent specific health conditions, but that's just my two cents.

Thanks - that's what I figured. I got used to one prescription brand that my doctor gave me a ridiculous supply of samples from - but now that my supply is depleting, I'm ready to go over the counter.

Appreciate your help!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I also watched and loved the 'Business of Being Born' - great documentary. And I just finished 'The Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy' - definitely recommend if you want some humor/snark.

That documentary is fantastic. I usually hate documentaries, but "Business of Being Born" was very informative to me.

I take an OTC one. It works just fine and is nutritionally similar to the prescription ones.
  • TLCEsq
    Options
    But I imagine if you roll in with some serious jungle action - they might tame it back ... Like for stretching,tearing,stitching purposes. But I think it would have to be a really epic bush for that to happen.

LMAO @ epic jungle bush....

I just saw this and sprayed green tea out of my nose!

I love you ladies! :-)
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    [quote
    [/quote]
    My baby conceived via in vitro fertilization, and fertility clinc routinely prescribe you pregvit5 for start prior your treatment and through the 1st trimester. Usually the prescription prenatals have some extraordinary amount from something. Pregvit5 have 5 times the folic acid content of OTC prenatals, hence it is not recommended to use for extended period of time. I took it in the first tri, and I was incredibly hungry all the time and gained 25 lb in that trimester alone! I also had to use progesterone , so I am not entirely sure which one caused the extreme weight gain, but it was brutal. Once the fertility clinic got me off the prescription prenatals and progesterone my weight gain got under control. I ended up gaining 70 lb with my first baby, and I am will be around 60 lb with this baby. I think without those extreme prenatals and progesterone, would have gained 20 lb less in each time.

Right now in the 3rd trimester, I no longer take prenatals only iron supplement. I also drink one bottle of similac mom drinks day, which is a vitamin/ mineral fortified shake for pg or breastfeeding mom. I am logging very accurately, and Instead of macros, I following my vitamins/ minerals on MFP. Most of the day I get 500% vitamin c , 300% on vitamin A, and 200% of calcium, so I am fairly confident that my diet do not lack the nutrition my baby needs.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    About the bleeding...
    With my first 4 babies, I was told by my OBs just to "take it easy for a couple days."
    With baby #5, when I switched to a midwife, she was adamant on BEDREST for at least a week. To the bathroom, maybe a quick shower, back to bed. And then for the second week, she only wanted me to be on my feet long enough to fix a snack or something. Bed to couch/recliner, etc. She said that the first time I leave the house should be when I come in for a checkup and to have the baby weighed at around 2 weeks post-partum. And she instructed my husband and the teenaged girls (niece was living with us at the time) that they were to do all the cooking, take care of the housework, etc. I really thought that was overkill.
    But she explained that if I would stay off my feet, that my bleeding would be lighter and that it should disappear by two weeks. She got my hubby on board at keeping me off my feet by telling him that there was really no reason why we couldn't resume marital relations a couple days after the bleeding had completely stopped, providing I was up to such a thing (as opposed to the six weeks he was used to hearing from the OBs). She also told him that after two weeks of rest, I would probably have more energy and less blues.
    So yeah, she was right on all counts. And we were "back in business" by about 3 weeks. :tongue:
    I really look forward to those two weeks of laying around and being waited on hand and foot like a queen!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah...after-birth pains. It's like being in labor all over again. Except that it lasts a week. Breastfeeding makes them worse, and it seems like the more children you have, the worse it is afterward. I go without pain medication during childbirth, but I'm always tempted to ask for some Percocets afterward!
  • MrsCarter00
    MrsCarter00 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    About the bleeding...
    With my first 4 babies, I was told by my OBs just to "take it easy for a couple days."
    With baby #5, when I switched to a midwife, she was adamant on BEDREST for at least a week. To the bathroom, maybe a quick shower, back to bed. And then for the second week, she only wanted me to be on my feet long enough to fix a snack or something. Bed to couch/recliner, etc. She said that the first time I leave the house should be when I come in for a checkup and to have the baby weighed at around 2 weeks post-partum. And she instructed my husband and the teenaged girls (niece was living with us at the time) that they were to do all the cooking, take care of the housework, etc. I really thought that was overkill.
    But she explained that if I would stay off my feet, that my bleeding would be lighter and that it should disappear by two weeks. She got my hubby on board at keeping me off my feet by telling him that there was really no reason why we couldn't resume marital relations a couple days after the bleeding had completely stopped, providing I was up to such a thing (as opposed to the six weeks he was used to hearing from the OBs). She also told him that after two weeks of rest, I would probably have more energy and less blues.
    So yeah, she was right on all counts. And we were "back in business" by about 3 weeks. :tongue:
    I really look forward to those two weeks of laying around and being waited on hand and foot like a queen!

Thanks for that!! I've never heard that but it totally makes sense!! We could all use the rest, that's for sure!