How many calories do you girls eat??

Options

Replies

• curiousxx
    curiousxx Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm 19, will be 20 come this December. 5' 3" and about 110 lbs. According to MFP and a couple of health calculators I've used, I'm SUPPOSED to be eating roughly 1700 calories per day. But I feel like I under eat A LOT. So far today, I've eaten 470 calories, minus 165 from exercise. I've never actually used MFP for an entire day (I've been slacking with keeping up with my account) so I can only roughly guestimate, but I feel like I eat about 1000-1200 calories a day. I'll have to check back in after the day is through to see though. Hope that helps a little though. (:
  • linzee2207
    linzee2207 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4 ~130 lbs, MFP has me eating 1200 cals a day, which I struggle to do because I just love fast food/junk food. If I wasnt counting calories I would guess that I eat around 1700 a day maintaining my 130 lbs
  • sicchi
    sicchi Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info guys!! Yeah at 147 lbs I am a little bit bigger than you guys seem to be, but I gained weight through diets (atkins esp) . I have set my calories to 1500 but exercise daily and don't re-eat those calories. I think I will just save them for my 'cheat' day. I have been reading up on how it is good for your body to have a large amount of calories in one go once a week/fornight/month, whatever you prefer, to not only let you get those cravings out of the way, but to trick your metabolism so it stays burning lots of calories, and doesn't slow down with the constant calorie deficit. Anyone do this?
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    1200-1500 depending on my activity level and how hungry I am.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info guys!! Yeah at 147 lbs I am a little bit bigger than you guys seem to be, but I gained weight through diets (atkins esp) . I have set my calories to 1500 but exercise daily and don't re-eat those calories. I think I will just save them for my 'cheat' day. I have been reading up on how it is good for your body to have a large amount of calories in one go once a week/fornight/month, whatever you prefer, to not only let you get those cravings out of the way, but to trick your metabolism so it stays burning lots of calories, and doesn't slow down with the constant calorie deficit. Anyone do this?

Once in a week or month is not really my thing. Ever since I was a teenager, you know how those ages are for most girls, I was aware of my body and even at my most tomboy times I did the "Gosh, I ate too much today, I'll eat less tomorrow." And I did. So I guess on average, I always zigzaged. Never had "I put on too much weight" times until this year. Lack of exercise is another thing, though. Bad eating habits take a lot of muscles away and leaves you with jiggly skinny fat.
  • sicchi
    Options
    oh how interesting...... yes I got a HRM, and I'm not sure how accurate it is but on a treadmill it said I was burning say, 300 cal but my HRM said more like 115. So i have given up on eating back calories, cause I just can't work it out. I figure I exercise most days, so 1500 cal a day should be plenty of food for me to get through the day and exercise, but enough to shed some weight. I have psychological issues with my eating. If I 'earn' calories, I feel deprived if I don't and tend to blow it if I go just a little past my cal limit. I just give up. I need the room to breathe and knowing that what I put into my workouts is honest and not just a reason to eat more is better for me.
  • sicchi
    Options

Once in a week or month is not really my thing. Ever since I was a teenager, you know how those ages are for most girls, I was aware of my body and even at my most tomboy times I did the "Gosh, I ate too much today, I'll eat less tomorrow." And I did. So I guess on average, I always zigzaged. Never had "I put on too much weight" times until this year. Lack of exercise is another thing, though. Bad eating habits take a lot of muscles away and leaves you with jiggly skinny fat.

Yeah, I exercise daily almost and have toned up ALOT underneath my "flab" lol (I am doing 30 day shred + cardio)... I do the "I'll eat less tomorrow" thing also after a big day. I just hate feeling deprived, so I figure if I eat what I want 1 day a week for 1 meal (like friday dinner for example) it might do me good so I have something to look forward to and to put certain food cravings to rest (pizza and pasta). I did it friday and naturally sat ate less, and really craved good food. Had 3 apples, prawns, clean bread with some honey (i make that myself) and grapefruit. Oh and lots and lots of water..... (i had a few beers friday too, I'll admit it). But we shall see what the scales say!
  • CaliBird
    CaliBird Posts: 10
    Options
    Im 5 foot 2 and weight 151 Myfitnesspal but me at 1200 cals a day and i usually eat that much but my net worth is much lower. Honestly just eat till you feel full and make sure to drink water before you eat and start with the lower calorie items on your plate first. That's what I do whenever I'm dieting.
  • lacaro1
    lacaro1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

My sister (who is studying performance diagnostics at university) said that her profs recommend a lower amount of calories for four days and up this amount every fourth or fifth to not more than 300 -400 additional calories! So yes, this is a way to trick your metabolism, but to splurge on thousands of calories at this specific day is not target-aiming!
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    probably around 1800. I don't do low calorie diets anymore, I've lost weight in the past by intuitive eating. I'm 5'7", if that helps for perspective.
  • sscad
    sscad Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3'', currently 119 but aiming for 110.

I used to eat 1200 (what MFP recommended) but now eat at least 1365 (my BMR), but usually closer to 1500, especially on days I work out more. I've heard both supporting and opposing arguments about the whole "starvation mode" issue, but realized that you just have to figure out what's best for you. Personally, 1200 just stresses me out, and 1365+ lets me eat more vegetables, fruit, and protein (obviously, if you up your calorie limit, don't use it as an excuse to eat more unhealthily!) and I've actually lost weight faster this way.
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3'', currently 119 but aiming for 110.

I used to eat 1200 (what MFP recommended) but now eat at least 1365 (my BMR), but usually closer to 1500, especially on days I work out more. I've heard both supporting and opposing arguments about the whole "starvation mode" issue, but realized that you just have to figure out what's best for you. Personally, 1200 just stresses me out, and 1365+ lets me eat more vegetables, fruit, and protein (obviously, if you up your calorie limit, don't use it as an excuse to eat more unhealthily!) and I've actually lost weight faster this way.

May I ask if you eat back your workout calories? How much do you workout?
  • sscad
    Options

Yes, so basically I have it set at 1365, and if it was a rest day or I was feeling lazy (usually on the weekends) I aim for that. But during the week, yes, I increase the calories depending on how much I work out.

In general, if I work out at all, I aim for around 1500, but my net calories allow for 1600/1700ish (I burn anywhere from 250-400 in exercise- some form of cardio and weight training), so if I go over 1500, I don't fret. In fact 90% I usually do go over 1500 and am closer to my net calorie allowance.
  • BluthLover
    BluthLover Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Yes, so basically I have it set at 1365, and if it was a rest day or I was feeling lazy (usually on the weekends) I aim for that. But during the week, yes, I increase the calories depending on how much I work out.

In general, if I work out at all, I aim for around 1500, but my net calories allow for 1600/1700ish (I burn anywhere from 250-400 in exercise- some form of cardio and weight training), so if I go over 1500, I don't fret. In fact 90% I usually do go over 1500 and am closer to my net calorie allowance.

Thank you!!
  • RunnerInVT
    RunnerInVT Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1" and. 114 lbs. I could starve myself and get back to 108 which was my original goal. But I run 30-45 miles a week and lift 2-3 times and can't do it on 900 calories a day which is what it takes for me to get the weight down.im miserable so why bother with a few pounds?? My Dr.doesn't want me below a bmi of 20. She said runners hurt their organs esp, heart at less than that.
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm 170cm (5'6"), 55kg (121lbs). I have a desk job but I also have 3 personal training sessions a week so I consider myself lightly active. My BMR is apprx 1347 and my TDEE is apprx 1853 so my calorie goal is 1353, although I don't hit this everyday because I like to save up a few calories for the weekend just in case I get silly, which I usually do :/
  • sscad
    Options
    I am 5'1" and. 114 lbs. I could starve myself and get back to 108 which was my original goal. But I run 30-45 miles a week and lift 2-3 times and can't do it on 900 calories a day which is what it takes for me to get the weight down.im miserable so why bother with a few pounds?? My Dr.doesn't want me below a bmi of 20. She said runners hurt their organs esp, heart at less than that.

With that activity level, you should be eating a lot more! Even on rest days with little to no exercise, 900 is way too low. I would listen to your doctor, and see how you can incorporate more healthy calories into your diet. Although you seem already healthy, if you want to lose weight, don't be afraid to increase your calories. In fact, in the long run, it will help you lose weight (in the short run, you might gain a little due to your metabolism adjusting). As long as you are eating healthy and whole foods, you really shouldn't have a problem, especially since you're so active! 30-45 miles a week? That's so impressive!
  • NewAngel35
    NewAngel35 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 5ft 5.5inch.That half an inch is very important to me lol. I weigh 138lbs 9st12.I find it very difficult to shift that last 10lbs so I must eat 1200 no more. and exercise like a loon. I have lost 8inch yet still weigh the same ...weird
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to the group too so hello. I'm between 5'4" and 5'5" and currently weigh 120 pounds (down 2 from a month ago). My BMR is around 1350 and my "lightly active" TDEE is 1750. Since I have a desk job but then also two kids, I would consider myself lightly active most days. I took a deficit from there but then also do attempt to eat my exercise calories so I try and net aorund 1500 for the day. Some days I'm under and some I'm over but I know if I'm too strict with myself this will not become a lifestyle, just a chore.
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    probably around 1800. I don't do low calorie diets anymore, I've lost weight in the past by intuitive eating. I'm 5'7", if that helps for perspective.

this^. i did really well in the past without calorie counting, just eating when i felt hungry (but i've always ate fairly healthy, so that helps). i'm 5' 6" and currently i'm eating between 2000-2400, but aiming for 2100 everyday regardless of how much (or little) i exercise. for the past several months i was eating 1200+exercise cals (which worked out to about 1600) but i wasn't really losing doing that. i was hungry all week and ended up binging every weekend. every friday i would weigh around 135, but be back up to 140-145 by monday, having to lose the same 5 pounds every week. since upping calories i'm actually losing again. i'm hoping this will help me stay at 135. i work out 4-5 times a week, 2-3 days of weight lifting and 2-3 days of cardio, usually running, sometimes zumba or hiking.